The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #76
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Some criticism of Smallville, what do you guys think ?

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/08/...gn=scribol.com

I think someone forgot about the exploding baby.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #77
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

My issue was more hey just had to many freaks in early yrs. Which was better handled season 4 to end.

Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #78
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

My breakdown of Smallville - Good Bad and Ugly

Best 10 things about the show:

10. FOTW - while a lot of people complained in early seasons about the overuse of 'Freak of the Weeks', I thought it was a great idea, and a way of making a show with a similar general episode forumla to Buffy, X-Files etc, who had 'monsters of the week' as well. It's IMO the best way of making a successful show and the reason it last 10 seasons. The episodic nature can be enjoyed by the casual viewer but there is enough of an 'arc' throughout each series to satisfy fans as well. I thought they did a great job with it.

9. Checkmate, The Suicide Squad and The VRA - the villainy in seasons 9 and 10 was very exciting. The Justice League, instead of dodging monsters or criminals, are dodging governments and organisations. The kind of people with a great reach, a lot of power and influence and who they were very unprepared to fight. The use of these institutions provided some of the best arcs the show had.

8. All the colours of... Kryptonite! - Green K (aka Meteor Rock) Red K, Black K, Silver K, Blue K... You may call it over kill, but I couldn't get enough of the stuff. Yes, Green K's effects inconsistencies were a tad annoying over the seasons, but TC plots have always been a soft spot of mine so I never minded it's inclusion (even if so random it made no sense I.e. The kryptonite watch in 'Committed'). I also loved Tom Welling as 'Kal' and it looked like he loved it too A chance to show a different side to him. Oh, and who doesn't love episodes like 'Onyx' and 'Splinter', up there I my favourites gallery because they respective kryptonite's created incredibly good storylines!

7. The Villans (The Good Ones) - some villains belong in a list of awful things Smallville gave us. A few of them however, were incredibly good. These are the three that stand out for me: James Marsters Brainiac, Callum Blue's Zod, Chris Gauthier's Toyman. They were all brilliant modern takes on their comics counterparts. Not quite the same (as nothing on Smallville ever is ), but keeping in tact enough of what makes the characters to still be a huge success in my mind.

6. The Ships (The Good Ones) - Yes, shipping wars drove every internet fan crazy, and the focus on relationships over Clark's development was sometimes the down side of the show... But they did eventually get it right with Chlollie and Clois. Because those pieces natural fit. After spending season after season trying to force people together who were just obviously not right for each other, the finally figured out that the show could centre on two couples who DO work but for entirely different reasons. Both the Clois arc and the Chlollie arc are what gave the show it's heart right at the end. I hear a lot of people say they wish the show could have ended in season 5, but then all we would have remembered would be Clana and Chloe's crush.. And that would have been a damn shame.

5. The Justice League, The Justice Society, Dr Hamilton - from the minute Green Arrow showed up, I loved him. And when Justice aired and he'd rounded up other cameo heroes into a team, the show hit a new level of awesome. It became more than just a show about young Clark Kent, but also a show opening up the whole world of the DC universe to younger generations. And I think that was an amazing achievement.

4. Father and son- Clark's relationship with his father (and to a lesser extent mother) has always been something I felt should be given a lot more weight than it usually is. Obviously Martha is very much the embodiment of a loving mother. Home cooked food, advice on woman, hugs and kisses and swelling with pride at her beautiful boy. But it's Jonathon that he looks up to. It's his words and his approval that mean the most to him. And that dynamic on the show was exactly right.

3. The Luthors - in Smallville, the Luthor name doesn't just mean Lex. It's a whole bloodline, a whole twisted family history that makes you wonder why Lex isn't WORSE than he is. And it was incredibly fun to see all that play out, right up to Tess Mercer's addition to the family tree. The one and only retconn I didn't hate because it seemed right somehow. The season 10 episode 'Luthor' sort of said it all - if your even connected to the Luthor family, it's like poison in your veins.

Lex and Lionel's early relationship, full of games, cryptic quotes and challenges, and void of anything remotely recognisable as a father and son connection, was definitely one of it's strongest assets.

2. The Stuff of Legend - Lex and Clark's friendship was the most important relationship of the show for me. Filled with so much chemistry there is an internet full of slash fiction about them rivalled only by Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy, it was heart breaking to watch them drift apart. And even when he was gone, you could still feel his effect on Clark's life. Unlike a lot of things that came, went and were swiftly forgotten, Lex was kept alive even when he wasn't around. Whether just in a look (the Tess and Clark plane conversation in 'Turbulence' comes to mind), or in the physical form of a clone. My only wish is that it had been done more justice at the end...

1. The Main Cast - through the combination of efforts from the actors and the creative team, the man characters of Smallville pretty much ALL should make it into a top 10 best things list. So I'm cheating and mentioning them all together
Eric Durance's Lois Lane was spot on. Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor was unlike any other and definitely the most explored the character has ever been. Lionel was one heck of a nasty SOB and the villain you loved to hate. Chloe was the absolute embodiment of my teen years, and I'm sure a lot of people felt that way. Oliver gave us the sexy bad boy in spades. The Kents grounded the show. We got a good Jimmy, a good Perry, Dr Hamilton, great portrayals of each JL and JS character. And Tom Welling did a fantastic job as Clark. The writer's didn't always get it right... But he was always consistent, and you really felt the change in him as Clark grew up.

I'm am glad for so many of the portrayals we've got Smallville to thank for

Coming next: Top 10 things I wish I could forget about Smallville!

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 03-02-2012 at 03:56 PM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #79
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

That is a good list.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #80
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
He went after to many easy targets(Craving, Thirst, Spell, etc). There is much worse things in my mind the show did then have a few cheesy episodes or plot ideas.

To this day I never understand what was so bad about the FOTW in Craving compared to most other S1 Freak of the weeks(that are as equally as cheesy). Seems like people put to much emphasis on the Deer eating scene. I constantly see Craving get rated the worst S1 episode when if you judge it from an overall standpoint I think it had alot more going for it then people give it credit for(yet they hark on the deer eating incident).
Yeah, Craving is not nearly the worst thing in the FOTW episodes. To me personally, nothing will ever beat Kinetic. I hate that episode with a passion. Power and Spirit are like Homecoming and Rosetta compared to Kinetic. God, I hate that ****.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #81
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

And funny the chick who was incraving has become a very good actress and man of steel lois lane.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #82
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Yeah, Craving is not nearly the worst thing in the FOTW episodes. To me personally, nothing will ever beat Kinetic. I hate that episode with a passion. Power and Spirit are like Homecoming and Rosetta compared to Kinetic. God, I hate that ****.
I actually liked(or at least didn't mind) Kinetic. My picks for worst S1 episodes(for argument sake my worst S1 episode wouldn't even make my worst 30 list) would be

Shimmer - boring(save the hot tub scene. lol)
Reaper - another boring episode
Crush - I can't really explain this one but I didn't care for it

HM: Obscura. the A-plot was the worst(most ridiculous) plot of any S1 episode(Lana gets the vision of the guy who is committing crimes after a gas explosion), the only reason I wouldn't consider it worst is the b and c plots saved it

In the case of Craving, I always remember it had a great last scene(Clark and Lana watching cartoons) and it also I believe was the first scene between Chloe and Lex

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #83
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

For me crushh and obsecura really only liked due to the chloe lots of those episodes. I thought they where nice early chloe episodes.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #84
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Generally I am forgiving of silly premises, but sometimes the show stretches my level of believability. Here would be my list of silly premises

5. Ageless - rapidly aging exploding baby?

4. Relic - Clark gets this little doohickey that looks like it came out of a gumball machine that allows him to spy on Lana's Great Aunt committing adultery with his Dad. Everytime I see that episode I ask myself what are the odds that Clark just so happens to touch everything in the exact order it happens

3. Hero - Kryptonite Gum?

2. Obscura - as I said the whole Lana being able to see through the eyes of the evil guy just stretched the realms of believability

1. Crisis - kryptonite, phone lines and lightening somehow cause a time vortex that allows Clark to hear a call 1 day before it happens. Not sure if that was even the weirdest thing I found in the episode because for the first time after 2 1/2 season we find out Lana and Pete work at a Crisis hotline.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-03-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #85
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

They did sure have some silly plots from time to time.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #86
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Worst episode of season 1? Drone.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned that episode. A swarm of bees gets together to form a human face and smile at her! Come on! How is that not the most ridiculous thing to happen all season?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #87
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Worst episode of season 1? Drone.
I didn't mind Drone, that being said after the 4 I mentioned above Drone would probably fall next. Not really a weird pattern but I sort of notice for most seasons the second half takes a drop from the first half(in the case of S1, 3 of the 4 episodes above and Drone all fall in the second half).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
They did sure have some silly plots from time to time.
I don't mind Crisis but it just was a bit hard to get into the episode with the whole Hotline thing from the get go(the lightning though took it to an even worse level). The whole Crisis hotline just felt so random, I wish they show sort of hinted to the hotline activities of Pete and Lana a few episodes before(they could have easily had Lana make a minor mention of working there and maybe film one scene of her leaving work). It would be like if they had an episode of Clark and Chloe working at a burger joint, then crap happens there and we never hear of the burger joint again. I guess the same complaint of randomness could be made for Velocity and Pete's offscreen racing thing. Sort of sad for Pete that in S3 it seems like he had a fulfilling life on offscreenville.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #88
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

OH ya drone was a bad one, for me my fav freaks from season one had to be the power swaping one, the guy from crush, and a few others i am drawing a blank at this moment.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #89
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

I think we were a lot more forgiving of episodes in Season 1 as they happened. Now when you go back and look at them, they don't hold up given the quality we got later on down the line, although they do have a somewhat more innocent and endearing quality to them.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #90
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
I think we were a lot more forgiving of episodes in Season 1 as they happened. Now when you go back and look at them, they don't hold up given the quality we got later on down the line, although they do have a somewhat more innocent and endearing quality to them.
Not for me.

Even when the first season plots where ridiculous in concept, the writing was altogether more natural and that makes them more watchable to me. And even in the most renouned episodes, there were usually moments that shine.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #91
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
For me Season 1 is the only season I can watch an episode and not have to pick apart stuff I like and dislike. The worst parts of Season 1 weren't bad, can't say that for anything after S1(although S2 for the most part is close although that's where some bad stuff starts creeping in). I think one of the stronger aspects of S1 was that the b and c plots were strong and I thought the storylines of those moved the show at a nice pace over the coarse of a season. Call me funny but I much rather watch the a-plot of an episode being Clark fighting some cheesy FOTW with entertaining sideplots, then the a-plot be Clark hates his life and is miserable because of recent circumstances(which generally was the tone in many mid to later season plots) with not so great sideplots. I personally rate S1 my second favorite season behind Season 4(most Lois-centric episodes rank among my favorites because I just like the mood Clark was around her, plus it had many other good non-Lois episodes). In general though I liked both seasons because both had a more light hearted tone when it came to Clark.

Last edited by SV Fan; 03-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #92
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Okay, here's the first 5 of my Top 10 things I wish I could forget:

10. Marth Kent IS The Red Queen - JK had a great return to the show. First as a 'ghost' or figment of Clark's imagination, giving him guidance. And then in an alternate world, still proving to everyone why we loved him, why he is the reason Clark is such a good man.

Martha on the other hand, returned completely corrupted. And personally, I like to pretend it never happened.

Martha represents something homely IMO, and always should. Home baked food, hugs, being proud of her little boy.

She should not be The Red Queen... That's just... Not okay

9. Ridiculous movie rip offs - now, you can accuse a lot of shows of taking inspiration from movies for certain episodes... But no one does it quite like Smallville. The two worst for me where Mercy (Saw) and Collateral (Matrix/Inception). Both are so obvious rip offs that you literally want to throw your shoe at the tv. And what's worse? They aren't even done well! They're absolutely terrible attempts to copy a movie's plot and shove it into a 45 min Smallville episode!

8. Chloe's hero worship and mid series decline- it started with one line, at the beginning of season 5. 'I think your soooo amazing'.

And that was it... The character that I used to completely identify with, who I had loved from day one; lost all my respect. Even up to the last eppies of season 4 when she new his secret and was keeping it quiet for him without confronting him, she was easily my favourite character on the show. Mainly because I just had so much in common with her, it was like watching myself in the situations.

But season 5 saw a decline into a Chloe that was completely different. She served little purpose other than Clark's google machine and pep talker. Whenever he encountered a problem, she'd fix it and then say something cliched about his destiny and how important he was. And it was pathetically unreal. It didn't even feel like a friendship. They never hung out anymore, you're never saw them having a laugh and a joke or rarely even teasing each other... It was all 'Your too important blah blah'.

And what bugged me most was that half the term he didn't deserve the pep talks. He would have been better off with someone being straight with him (which sort of ended up being Oliver's role) and bringing him DOWN from the pedestal Chloe kept trying to shove him onto so he could feel grounded and human. (This is something they touched on a bit with Lois as well, but thankfully not as much).

Season 9 reparied a lot of the damage to Chloe though. After realising that Clark is not some flawless god, she seemed to start to want to find herself again. And then Oliver helped her do that

7. Chloe's mind rape - Ah Abyss. That episode caused the most intense debate I've ever had on a forum in my life.

Clark forcibly removes Chloe's memories without asking for permission, supposedly to 'keep her safe'. Of course this does nothing of the sort and actually leads to her being in MORE danger, and eventually being kidnapped by Doomsday and infected by Brainiac.

But what really bugged me was how the show was trying to make Clark look really noble for doing what he did. Making it this big 'Clark's making a sacrifice for his friend' moment, as though we should all go 'aw, isn't he sweet for erasing those memories for her?'

No. Superman is not God and does not have the right to strip someone of their free will, especially when it comes to their own memories! Chloe didn't want her memories gone. She told him that. And he did it anyway, because he thought he knew better than her what was safe for her (and he didn't)... And that's not something that should have been positioned to be a heroic act.

6. Doomsday, Davis Retcon, and the Jimmy Retcon - it's actually really hard for me to discuss how much I hate Davis Bloome and Smallville's ridiculous concept of a Jekyl and Hyde Doomsday who was a paramedic and in love with Chloe, and then whose human half decides to kill Jimmy. I think the phrase 'no, no, no, no, no, no, no' springs to mind. Not to mention retconning Clark's ship crash so that Doomsday crashed at the same time and they are 'brothers'!!!!

It was an awful idea from start to finish, even trying to have Doomsday on the show. Everything to do with that storyline was awful. The 'fights' where pathetic, especially the final one. The relationship between Chloe and Davis turned kind of sick. Davis Bloome was in general kind of an annoying character. It all just sucked.

And the Jimmy retcon... what the hell was the point of that? Just another thing in my list of things I like to pretend didn't happen.

Basically, the wanted to kill him off, but didn't want to face the wrath of fans saying 'Jimmy Olsen can't die cause he's canon'... So they said 'oh, he wasn't Jimmy after all, he was Jimmy's brother Henry! Fooled ya!.

I was not amused.

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 03-06-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #93
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i totally agree on jimmy, and martha deals, wasnt to pissed with the movie rips some of them were good. And i am on the fence with chloe hero stuff some things were ok others were not so good.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #94
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I actually agreed with Chloe's memory loss. I thought it should have been done years earlier. I was really excited at the idea that only Oliver knows about Clark's identity and he has to hide it from everyone else again. I was pretty pissed that she gained back her memory after Legion though.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #95
chumchees
Side-Kick

Ive always hated Lana, but when I watched the whole series again last year, I have to say Chloe is the worst character. She makes Clark look stupid and useless. Why does Clark have to go to her to get help, and how can she do all that she does, like hacking into government satellites and black mailing the Suicide Squad is truly ridiculous.

Also after watching again, I realized how useless and pathetic Oliver is and how Jimmy really never did anyting in his 3 seasons other then be connected to Chloe. He had a brief run helping Lois and the end of season 7 but other than that he did nothing. He was so much different from his comic book portrayal. But I guess they "fixed" that at the end of season 8.

chumchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #96
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumchees View Post
Why does Clark have to go to her to get help, and how can she do all that she does, like hacking into government satellites and black mailing the Suicide Squad is truly ridiculous.
I think it all comes down to the show went out of their way to make her character relevant somehow and to many times it was at the expense of Clark. The show also went out of it's way trying to satisfy shipper viewers as much as possible and in the case of Chloe it was like well we will make Clark so reliant on her that they can take pride in that.

As for the mind rape, I never got what the point of that was. She loses Brainiac and her memories only to get re-infected by Brainiac the next episode and gets her memories back 2 episodes later. I always felt like the only reason they did that was to give Chloe fans who hate Chimmy, an excuse that Chloe wasn't herself when she married Jimmy because they easily could have did that episode without a mindrape and it would make no difference.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #97
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

lana after season 2 there was really nothing she did that was good to me, and the writers just didnt know what to do with her. That is why it would have been best for lana to have left the show after highschool yrs. Like she shouldnt have come back in season 4 and stayed in paris. Then of course maybe a few returns sprinkled throughout the remaining seasons. Lana and clark drama was way to drawn out.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #98
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Lana and Chloe probably should have left at the end of season 4.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #99
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

i didnt have issue with chloe at that point in time, and with sam gone the wise thing would have been to keep at least one friend and then brought in new folks. Lana was a waste and chloe at that point of time was ok. So i personally would have kept her and got ride of lana.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #100
Muzzled Penguin
B_Showers

The worst episode by far, for me, was the Vampire Lana episode. I can count all the episodes that I would skip over if I were to re-watch the series again, on one hand. Vampire Lana would definitely be one of them.

As far as the best goes, I really liked the first 6 episodes of season 5. By far the best imo. I know thats most people hate season 5, but I thought it was one of the best seasons.

Muzzled Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote