The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 01-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #401
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Just watched this for the first time. A lot of fun, probably the best comic book movie of 2011. I think Cap will make a great central character in the Avengers.

Last edited by henzINNIT; 01-15-2012 at 07:04 AM.
henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #402
horrorwriter
Bad Moon Books

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

I thought the movie wasn't good at all. I'm sorry. I'm usually not negative, but lots of people told me it was better than thor. I thought Thor was much better. Still, Cap outshined Green Lantern by a long shot. What a waste of the color green that movie was...lol

Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #403
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Watched it for a third time and still loved it.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #404
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post

The second half is just a mess of forced drama (Bucky dies? We don't even get to know Bucky or see him very much), lame romantic sparring (the fondue stuff was awful) and the usual crowbarring in of Avengers material - in this case, the completely unneccesary addition of Tony Stark's dad, who even happens to fly planes into warzones-! It ruins the suspension of disbelief. Why not have Bruce Banner's dad in there too? And Hawkeye's?
Maybe because unlike Howard Stark they don't already have a somewhat established history/background in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Kirk Langstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #405
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

What was the problem with Howard Stark being in it? They clearly established him in IM as being one of the people the allies used in WWII, so it is not out of left field. He was called the Nazi killer, so why not have him be the scientist?

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #406
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
What was the problem with Howard Stark being in it?
Tying these films to others in the MCU makes them nothing more than an Avengers commercial. Didn't you get the memo?

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #407
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Tying these films to others in the MCU makes them nothing more than an Avengers commercial. Didn't you get the memo?
Think mine got lost in the mail

But I don't get some of these complaints. How does the mili-second we see of Hawkeye make Thor a commercial for Avengers? How does Howard Stark, who we know was an ally scientist, knowing Captain America hurt the film? If anything, I think Stark contributed a lot. We needed an American scientist to be Zola's foil. If the character was Dr. Johnson, same lines and everything, nobody cares. But for some reason, because he has the Stark name, it is an issue...I just don't see how it is. Besides, Stark and Rogers had an interesting relationship and the idea of who is the true "man of tomorrow" so to speak was a good arc for both.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #408
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Preaching to the choir brah. I liked Howard and as you said his presence added more depth to the proceedings than random scientist #1 would have. I don't think very many people have an issue with him tho tbh, in fact Kevin R is the only person I can remember mentioning it.

IM 2 gets most of the 'Avengers ad' complaints.

- Ryōkan

Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #409
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Preaching to the choir brah. I liked Howard and as you said his presence added more depth to the proceedings than random scientist #1 would have. I don't think very many people have an issue with him tho tbh, in fact Kevin R is the only person I can remember mentioning it.

IM 2 gets most of the 'Avengers ad' complaints.
IM2 is the only one where I think some character depth suffers from it, because they do let Vanko slip into the background of the movie for a very long period of time. But, some of how they incorporate the Avengers into the movie still works within the movie, and I still like it. But, I will agree Vanko suffers a great deal from everything they tried to include into IM2.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #410
Smits
Newbie First Class

Just watched this for the first time tonight. I have to say, i didn't like it as much as i liked Thor, but i still enjoyed it alot. It had plenty of action to keep me entertained and i think it was well put together.

To be honest, all this is just getting me ready for the Avengers! I still have both Iron Man films to re-watch properly and i'll probably re-watch Hulk.

Smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #411
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Watched the movie again last night. Still love it. I saw TIH on Monday night, Thor on Tuesday night, and CA:TFA last night. One thing I was wondering was what happened to the cosmic cube that it came to Earth? In Thor, the cosmic cube was with Odin and Loki used it for his own plans. So when did it come to Earth?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #412
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Watched the movie again last night. Still love it. I saw TIH on Monday night, Thor on Tuesday night, and CA:TFA last night. One thing I was wondering was what happened to the cosmic cube that it came to Earth? In Thor, the cosmic cube was with Odin and Loki used it for his own plans. So when did it come to Earth?
According to the timeline in The Art of the Avengers, Odin left the Tesseract on Earth around 600 years before IM1. I have no idea why he did it, though. Seems kind of risky leaving something that powerful on Earth.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #413
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
According to the timeline in The Art of the Avengers, Odin left the Tesseract on Earth around 600 years before IM1. I have no idea why he did it, though. Seems kind of risky leaving something that powerful on Earth.
Maybe as a measure so we could defend ourselves should the Frost Giants invade again. It's also possible that it was lost to Earth, not placed there.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #414
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
In Thor, the cosmic cube was with Odin and Loki used it for his own plans. So when did it come to Earth?
That was the Casket of Ancient Winters.

- Ryōkan

Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #415
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

So that wasn't the cosmic cube in Thor? And all this time I thought it was that

Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #416
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

LOL! I thought you meant when did the cube get left on Earth between the war with the Frost Giants and WWII, LOL!!!!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #417
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
LOL! I thought you meant when did the cube get left on Earth between the war with the Frost Giants and WWII, LOL!!!!
No, I meant that too. That's why I was confused. I thought the box thing in Thor was the cosmic cube but then the timeline didn't add up with Captain America. I had no idea about the casket of winter whatever

Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #418
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Loved this film my only complaint being Red Skull did not seem evil enough and his german accent was lacking.

Radioactive1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #419
CGHulk
Green Guy

Edit.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #420
PWN3R
SHUSH!

I watched this again last night. I still think this is the best solo Marvel movie yet. I'd go even further and say it has the best romance in any comic book film.

I just adore the sense of adventure and heart that this film oozes.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 AM   #421
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

It's the closest thing to a classic Indiana Jones superhero movie we may ever get.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #422
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I keep Forgetting to post my DAD's review. lol
I finally got my 84 year old Dad who read the original Cap Comics to watch First Avenger and he LOVED everything specially Tommy Lee Jones as Col. Philips lol the ONE thing he didn't like and I knew he wouldn't was Cosmic cube parts.
He really isn't fan of SCI FI and that's one thing he said if it were left out would have made him buy the dvd lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #423
superman61413
Side-Kick

I loved this movie. Cap was my favorite film, but usually the scenes we're kind of fast for me. Just saying, it's what I think anyway. But overall it's a good film worth checking out. Mainly for people who are into action movies

superman61413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #424
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive1980 View Post
Loved this film my only complaint being Red Skull did not seem evil enough and his german accent was lacking.
I thought Hugo's accent was fine. Seemed to me he was just trying to downplay it a little, rather than default to zee teepical Hollyvood Jerman voice.

Do agree that the Skull as written was somewhat lackluster. As a pulpy-type villain he was alright, and I didn't need to see him eat a baby or anything but he could have used a bit more of an edge.

- Ryōkan

Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #425
superman61413
Side-Kick

I loved this movie. Everyone did a great job. This is my favorite "Avengers Build-Up to the movie". I find this movie a bit entertaining. The only thing was that it felt a bit fast, its just a minor. But I loved this movie so much. I cant wait for the sequel so badly

superman61413 is offline   Reply With Quote