The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should this Superman kill?
No. 133 70.00%
Yes, its about time 32 16.84%
He should Find a way to send them to the Phantom Zone 14 7.37%
Other (explain) 11 5.79%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #26
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Default Re: Should this Superman kill? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I'm just going to add, that the original question by the OP was whether Superman should kill IN THIS MOVIE.

Not whether him killing Doomsday is okay. Or robots. Or whether he should be a vegetarian.

Just whether or not it will be okay if he kills Zod/Faora/another kryptonian in this film.

And I very much vote no.

My personal stance:

I'm okay with a 'back to the phantom zone you go' scenario. I'm okay with the military somehow killing a villain (I.e. Taking out Faora with a kryptonite weapon or something).

I'm okay with a Green Goblin in Spidey 1 style 'He killed himself' scenario.

I'm not okay with a Ra's al Ghul style 'I don't have to save you', and I'm not okay with Superman knocking someone a few storeys and killing them ala Twoface either.

And I'm certainly not okay with Superman making the DECISION to kill in order to protect us.
I agree completely

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Quote:
I'm just going to add, that the original question by the OP was whether Superman should kill IN THIS MOVIE.
Does it really matter? I just want him to be Superman, not a killing machine, or killing in spite.... In this film or any films beyond this one, comics, cartoons... you name it.

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:

Not whether him killing Doomsday is okay. Or robots. Or whether he should be a vegetarian.

Just whether or not it will be okay if he kills Zod/Faora/another kryptonian in this film.

And I very much vote no.

My personal stance:

I'm okay with a 'back to the phantom zone you go' scenario. I'm okay with the military somehow killing a villain (I.e. Taking out Faora with a kryptonite weapon or something).

I'm not okay with a Ra's al Ghul style 'I don't have to save you', and I'm not okay with Superman knocking someone a few storeys and killing them ala Twoface either.

And I'm certainly not okay with Superman making the DECISION to kill in order to protect us.
There's a good chance he won't have those options. There are hints that Zod, Faora, and others are refugees, not escapees from the phantom zone, and there may not even be kryptonite since this is the first movie.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #29
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
Doomsday was a flesh robot grown in a jar.

Ah, yes. Robots and demons. All the vicarious thrills of the justifiable homicide… without the guilt.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #30
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Nazis work too.

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #31
moe
Side-Kick

Quote:

And I very much vote no.

My personal stance:

so trivial.

moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #32
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe View Post
so trivial.
It really isn't. These are defining characteristics of the character. Superman preserves life, whatever the cost.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #33
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
It really isn't. These are defining characteristics of the character. Superman preserves life, whatever the cost.
Exactly. Calling Superman's code against killing "trivial" just shows a lack of understanding of how essential it is to his character. It's the line that he cannot pass, and if he does, then Superman ends.

I know modern comics and films treat life as a trivial thing, but it is not. Especially not to a figure like Superman.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Exactly. Calling Superman's code against killing "trivial" just shows a lack of understanding of how essential it is to his character. It's the line that he cannot pass, and if he does, then Superman ends.

I know modern comics and films treat life as a trivial thing, but it is not. Especially not to a figure like Superman.
Agreed. I think the "What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and American Way" story spelled it out perfectly. There is one line Superman should never cross regardless how distraught or stretched to his limits he can be. I believe that should be both the New 52, MOS, and Earth 2 Superman.

Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Preserving Doomsday's life would have meant more people would die. It's not like he executed him. It was more like the police shooting someone with their gun to someone's head.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 03-07-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Preserving Doomsday's life would have meant more people would die. It's not like he executed him. It was more like the police shooting someone with their gun to someone's head.
There are other alternatives like the Phantom Zone or, as Cyborg Superman did with Doomsday, chuck him into space to never return (which would have been cool had they stuck with that).

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #37
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I realize that, and I'm fine with them. I'm just saying in the event that there are no alternatives, if things are truly so desperate, Superman should kill to stop an immediate threat. I feel that's reasonable and it isn't a pessimistic, deconstructive concept.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
There's a good chance he won't have those options. There are hints that Zod, Faora, and others are refugees, not escapees from the phantom zone, and there may not even be kryptonite since this is the first movie.
And if that's how they've written this film, then it will have failed to me

If the big reboot is a storyline in which the only option for Superman to save the world involves killing a bunch of kryptonians, then i'd rather have had him wrestling polar bears in the arctic... dead serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post

This.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #39
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

This topic has been one big stalemate hasn't it? At this point, we're all just repeating ourselves.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #40
Stoic
Ron Swanson Protege

I think having Superman resort to killing is lazy writing. There is always a way and like Grant Morrison likes to embed in our subconscious, "nothing is impossible." Having Superman kill because he has no other choice shouldn't happen because Superman is intelligent enough to find that way or go into a beat down induced coma.

Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #41
KingMob
Nothing to see here

The fact that there is a thread debating this is ridiculous.

Superman doesn't kill.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #42
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoic View Post
I think having Superman resort to killing is lazy writing. There is always a way and like Grant Morrison likes to embed in our subconscious, "nothing is impossible." Having Superman kill because he has no other choice shouldn't happen because Superman is intelligent enough to find that way or go into a beat down induced coma.
And the idea that nothing is impossible and that there's always a non-lethal method to stop the bad guy and save the day, no matter what, is what leads to deus ex machinas.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #43
Krumm
Beer Snob

I'm always shocked when this thread gets action...

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #44
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

And I'm shocked at how intolerant of opinions you people can be sometimes. If you wanna feel more shocked, go read a fricken golden age comic, watch Superman crash planes full of people. Be so bleeding shocked that the creators of Superman are the ones who came up with it!

Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #45
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
And I'm shocked at how intolerant of opinions you people can be sometimes.
So because most people don't agree with your opinions, they are intolerant? I think not. The majority here simply seems to understand a very important characteristic of Superman and are surprised to see something that should really be common sense discussed, that's all.

Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

I'm in favor of tolerance. And anyone who isn't should be shot.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #47
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
And I'm shocked at how intolerant of opinions you people can be sometimes. If you wanna feel more shocked, go read a fricken golden age comic, watch Superman crash planes full of people. Be so bleeding shocked that the creators of Superman are the ones who came up with it!
And this is completely why I don't understand any fan who says that the character should stay devotedly true to it's 'roots' as though the first issue is the only material that's viable.

Sometimes characters start off with ideas that are later changed because they don't feel right. Sometimes the creators decide 'actually, we don't like our original concept and we're going to do something much better with it'.

And thank God they did. Because I honestly don't think Superman would be the iconic and successful character he is today if he had stayed as he was at his conception.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #48
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

Exactly. I mean, who likes a Batman that kills nowadays? Who actually wants Batman to go back to his old killing habits?

We live in a society that NEEDS good morals and ethics, cause lets face it, the world is a ****-hole...and if we can't look at our favourite heroes for comfort and little bit of guidance on whats right and wrong, just who the hell can people/kids look up to? God and Jesus seem to be forgotten nowadays too, so...

If a strong moral person like Superman goes around killing and justifying deaths...then what does that tell us exactly? For example that it's ok to kill someone as long as its a bad guy? That is wrong and doesn't sound like anything Superman would ever dream of doing. We have laws and morals for a reason. Superman isn't a cop, he doesn't have and doesn't want the authority to dish out death sentences.

A cop can kill if lives are at stake...but Superman isn't a cop. Same as Batman, he goes out for justice, not vengeance. That's why he simply brings the crooks in, so they can receive justice from the proper authority, NOT HIS authority or his call.

But Superman is more deeper than that, he was raised with strong morals of right and wrong...killing is the worst thing imaginable. So do you think he would commit such a terrible act or think above himself and others to say he actually has the right to take a life? I don't think so.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #49
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Quote:
And if that's how they've written this film, then it will have failed to me

If the big reboot is a storyline in which the only option for Superman to save the world involves killing a bunch of kryptonians, then i'd rather have had him wrestling polar bears in the arctic... dead serious

This.
I kind of enjoy the idea of Superman wrestling with polar bears in the arctic. I imagine him just being playful and treating them like puppies. Not trying to actually hurt them just having fun.

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Alien Anal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #50
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Me to....that's actually one of the things that I had hoped to see on screen.....but wouldnt the polar bears break their teeth trying to bite Clark? Lol