The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 03-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #51
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Capt. Marvel/Ms. Marvel Film? (Good idea or GREAT idea?)

I say he should die at the end of the movie, that way his death would be that much ore shocking to the GA and have more of impact.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #52
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Comic sales don't matter, no, but it says something when not even comic fans could get into him. Whenever people talk about Mar-Vell, what do they say? "Oh yeah, he's the guy that died from cancer". That's all anybody knows or cares to know about him, but when Marvel tries to give him a new series? It tanks. The last one tanked so badly that they made him a Skrull so they could go back to the drawing board. How appealing is he when not even the hardcore fans can be bothered to turn out for his titles? Ms. Marvel, on the other hand, is pretty damn snazzy. And unlike Mar-Vell, I read her title.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #53
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Comic sales don't matter, no, but it says something when not even comic fans could get into him. Whenever people talk about Mar-Vell, what do they say? "Oh yeah, he's the guy that died from cancer".
Yeah that's comic fans say about him, but to the GA he has a clean slate and they wouldn't look at him any differently than they would any other unknown superhero.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #54
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
If Marvel wants a bomb, then go right ahead and make a movie with Mar-Vell. The guy can't carry a series past 30 or so issues, why does anyone think he'll be able to carry a movie? And to make a movie just to kill him and pass the torch to Ms. Marvel? So a woman can't carry a movie series unless a man starts it off for her? Is that the message people want to get across? Personally speaking, I want Ms. Marvel to have her own trilogy of movies, not a hand-me-down trilogy after Mar-Vell hogged one of the movies.
Mar-Vell's first volume ran 62 issues, 21 initially then 41 bimonthly, while Carol's ran 23. Her second stint which benefited from being written well and prominently in Civil War ran about 50 something.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!

Last edited by marcvader; 03-07-2012 at 05:51 AM.
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #55
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Mar-Vell's first volume ran 62 issues while Carol's ran 23. Her second stint which benefited from being written well and prominently in Civil War ran about 50 something.
Wow I honestly didn't know, thanks for the info Marc.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #56
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

62 issues is still fairly impressive, given how other comics have done, even back then. That's 5 years. Spider-Woman only ran 50 issues. She-Hulk was 25 (2 more than Ms Marvel). Ghost Rider was about 80 something. Both Power Man and Iron First were in danger of cancellation until they combined around issue 50 of Luke Cage.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #57
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I say let the first film be a Captain Marvel film with him dying at the end and showing Carol Denvers DNA combined with his Kree DNA. Then have her take up the Marvel mantle at the beginning of the sequel film (or very end of the 1st) and from then on out it could be a Ms. Marvel story.
That sounds alright if it's just a standalone franchise, but if its tied in with the Avengers, I'd like her to have at least one super powered fight under her belt before she shows up in Avengers 2, or else she seems kinda whack/unworthy. Fans should be able to see that she stands on her own, even before she gets powers she'd be Black-Widow-in-Iron-Man-2 level in terms of action, but we should see her use her powers, I think. Maybe Mar-Vell takes out Yon-Rogg and Sentry-359 while Carol takes out Nitro or something like that.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #58
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Ewan McGregor would be my pick for Capt. Marvel.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #59
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

How about Armie Hammer for Captain Marvel? He's got the acting chops and looks the part. In the new Lone Ranger movie he's even got the classic Captain Marvel hair. http://bcove.me/d8ybj3uq

With his height, build and deep voice he could seem like a Kree warrior.

He might not be right for someone like Superman, but he could work for Mar-Vell.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 03-09-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:52 AM   #60
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

^ Yeah I could definately see him as Captain Marvel, he certainly has the look and the voice for the role plus from what I've hear he's also a fine actor.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #61
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

The only thing I would say about having Hammer in the role is that he could come across so likeable and popular with audiences that Marvel might decide not to kill him off because Captain Marvel could end up a lucrative franchise that they're not going to want to risk by replacing him with Ms Marvel who, as a female character, is more of a risk to studios.

While Mar-Vell might not be that popular with comic fans, with the right actor in the role in the movie (eg someone like Hammer) he could easily become an A-lister in films. Hammer definitely has the presence to elevate the character beyond his comic book status.

However, that's not to say that we can't have Ms Marvel too. After all, it's not like the two characters only ran in series and never operated at the same time in actual fact. Both Carol and Mar-Vell were in existence and worked with the Avengers for a fair chunk of time before Mar-Vell eventually succumbed to cancer. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a passing of the torch to Carol at all.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #62
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
The only thing I would say about having Hammer in the role is that he could come across so likeable and popular with audiences that Marvel might decide not to kill him off because Captain Marvel could end up a lucrative franchise that they're not going to want to risk by replacing him with Ms Marvel who, as a female character, is more of a risk to studios.

While Mar-Vell might not be that popular with comic fans, with the right actor in the role in the movie (eg someone like Hammer) he could easily become an A-lister in films. Hammer definitely has the presence to elevate the character beyond his comic book status.

However, that's not to say that we can't have Ms Marvel too. After all, it's not like the two characters only ran in series and never operated at the same time in actual fact. Both Carol and Mar-Vell were in existence and worked with the Avengers for a fair chunk of time before Mar-Vell eventually succumbed to cancer. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a passing of the torch to Carol at all.
Very good points, those two working together in a film would be very awesome indeed.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #63
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

...I'm not sure them working together would be that awesome in a film, tbh. Their powers are identical aren't they? And it makes Ms. Marvel look like a sidekick instead of a legacy hero. And you lose what makes the film special if the hero survives. Maybe having a likeable Hammer bite it just drives home the point that much harder.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #64
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
...I'm not sure them working together would be that awesome in a film, tbh. Their powers are identical aren't they? And it makes Ms. Marvel look like a sidekick instead of a legacy hero. And you lose what makes the film special if the hero survives. Maybe having a likeable Hammer bite it just drives home the point that much harder.
It wouldn't look like she's a side kick if they're working together "loosely" as in being on missions in different places, but I understand where you're coming from.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #65
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
While I've thought of this and would agree to a certain extent and would even like to see this, the thing is that if Marvel have a success on their hands with Armie Hammer in the role, then they probably won't want to kill him off even if that was their initial plan. It's like killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Although on a different scale, imagine if Marvel always planned to kill off Iron Man in the movies. Then when RDJ strikes such a chord with audiences they're not going to want to go with their intial plan because it's box office gold.

As far as Capt Marvel is concerned, think about it from a business point of view for Marvel. If he turns out to be popular, will they want to switch out their character for a female version who may or may not be popular but isn't a sure thing yet (especially given that female characters aren't as successful)?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
It wouldn't look like she's a side kick if they're working together "loosely" as in being on missions in different places, but I understand where you're coming from.
How could they work together loosely in the same film?

Quote:
While I've thought of this and would agree to a certain extent and would even like to see this, the thing is that if Marvel have a success on their hands with Armie Hammer in the role, then they probably won't want to kill him off even if that was their initial plan. It's like killing the goose that lays the golden egg. Although on a different scale, imagine if Marvel always planned to kill off Iron Man in the movies. Then when RDJ strikes such a chord with audiences they're not going to want to go with their intial plan because it's box office gold.

As far as Capt Marvel is concerned, think about it from a business point of view for Marvel. If he turns out to be popular, will they want to switch out their character for a female version who may or may not be popular but isn't a sure thing yet (especially given that female characters aren't as successful)?
I see what you're saying... but I don't think there's a time frame for that, and I don't think Marvel is in 'screw storytelling, lets just make money' mode. Feige isn't going to drop in on a director during post production saying "Armie's testing well, change the ending of the film." Once they know they have a success, he'd already be dead, so when would this proverbial 'box office gold' adjustment take place? If anything, they'll just decide not to go ahead with a Ms. Marvel film, or reduce her role in the Avengers.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #67
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

I see what you're saying... but I don't think there's a time frame for that, and I don't think Marvel is in 'screw storytelling, lets just make money' mode. Feige isn't going to drop in on a director during post production saying "Armie's testing well, change the ending of the film." Once they know they have a success, he'd already be dead, so when would this proverbial 'box office gold' adjustment take place? If anything, they'll just decide not to go ahead with a Ms. Marvel film, or reduce her role in the Avengers.
Well, I foresee that Marvel would probably not decide to kill him off anyway but have a complete movie with him where he lives at the end. However, the movie might be seeded with Carol Danvers and even show her absorbing some of his kree energy, with her only finding out towards the end that she has powers. Marvel would probably set it up that Carol only becomes Ms Marvel in a sequel, or if she does become the character at the end, then Mar-Vell would still be around.

It's not like Mar-Vell died on his first outing anyway. He was around for 62 issues and had some appearances in the Marvel universe, even alongside Ms Marvel.

If Marvel do decide to bring Ms Marvel to life however, they had better not do a half-hearted attempt on her with some more conservative, "realistic" costume that covers her up. I want the thigh high boots and bare legs (and even ass cheeks) and the whole gold lightning stripe on her front with the red sash. I'd like to see her original costume too with equally bare legs and a bare navel. They had better make that costume sexy!!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #68
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
By "loosely" I meant working together but not necessarily side by side like being on different missions in different places.

Quote:
If Marvel do decide to bring Ms Marvel to life however, they had better not do a half-hearted attempt on her with some more conservative, "realistic" costume that covers her up. I want the thigh high boots and bare legs (and even ass cheeks) and the whole gold lightning stripe on her front with the red sash. I'd like to see her original costume too with equally bare legs and a bare navel. They had better make that costume sexy!!
Wow you're probably the only person I've seen say they want Ms. Marvel to retain her "ass cheeks" showing outfit from the comics, although if they go that route they better get an actress with a nice sized ass for the role.

I think Ali Larter is at the top of my list for actresses I want to see portray Ms. Marvel and what do you know she even has a nice sized butt.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 03-09-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #69
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
By "loosely" I meant working together but not necessarily side by side like being on different missions in different places.

Wow you're probably the only person I've seen say they want Ms. Marvel to retain her "ass cheeks" showing outfit from the comics, although if they go that route they better get an actress with a nice sized ass for the role.

I think Ali Larter is at the top of my list for actresses I want to see portray Ms. Marvel and what do you know she even has a nice sized butt.
Well we all want the same costume for Ms Marvel, don't we?

Otherwise what else are people thinking of?

I mean, there is this one too, which is her original costume:

But the classic one is the first one I posted.

I hope people aren't wanting a SHIELD-type uniform, or something like Movie Elektra with her legs covered up.

I still want Yvonne Strahovski for Carol. I don't really like Ali Larter.

And her ass doesn't have to be huge! It just has to be shapely, that's all.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #70
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
But the classic one is the first one I posted.

I hope people aren't wanting a SHIELD-type uniform, or something like Movie Elektra with her legs covered up.

I still want Yvonne Strahovski for Carol. I don't really like Ali Larter.

And her ass doesn't have to be huge! It just has to be shapely, that's all.
Yeah alot of people were saying Ms. Marvel's classic costume is too "revealing" for live action, I used to agree with them to a certain extent but now I think her classic costume would be just fine.

I know her ass doesn't have to be huge that's why I said "nice sized", I also looked up Yvonne and I could definately see her playing Ms. Marvel although I still prefer Ali Larter.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #71
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Yeah alot of people were saying Ms. Marvel's classic costume is too "revealing" for live action, I used to agree with them to a certain extent but now I think her classic costume would be just fine.

I know her ass doesn't have to be huge that's why I said "nice sized", I also looked up Yvonne and I could definately see her playing Ms. Marvel although I still prefer Ali Larter.
Well ok, her costume doesn't need to show ass cheeks as if she's only wearing a thong, but it can still be like a bikini bottom or leotard. I want the classic costume and not some very bland, generic version like all the costumes in the X-men movies.

She certainly needs to be showing off some leg and have bare arms and shoulders. I'm bored of all the Hollywood attempts to run away from the original source of the comics and their colourful costumes. It's not like Ms Marvel's costume is bright yellow anyway. Yes, it might be too revealing for a normal person to wear, but that's why they should bring in some of the early elements of Ms Marvel where Carol Danvers seemed to be taken over by her kree persona and didn't even realise she was a superheroine. That way they can say that Kree female warriors wear outfits like this, and she won't have any issues with it.

Yvonne Strahovski seems fine with wearing revealing costumes too, so she probably wouldn't mind wearing Ms Marvel's outfit.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #72
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Well ok, her costume doesn't need to show ass cheeks as if she's only wearing a thong, but it can still be like a bikini bottom or leotard. I want the classic costume and not some very bland, generic version like all the costumes in the X-men movies.

She certainly needs to be showing off some leg and have bare arms and shoulders. I'm bored of all the Hollywood attempts to run away from the original source of the comics and their colourful costumes. It's not like Ms Marvel's costume is bright yellow anyway. Yes, it might be too revealing for a normal person to wear, but that's why they should bring in some of the early elements of Ms Marvel where Carol Danvers seemed to be taken over by her kree persona and didn't even realise she was a superheroine. That way they can say that Kree female warriors wear outfits like this, and she won't have any issues with it.

Yvonne Strahovski seems fine with wearing revealing costumes too, so she probably wouldn't mind wearing Ms Marvel's outfit.
Yeah I think a bikini bottom would be just find and I would like for her costume to look as much like her classic costume as possible.

What don't you like about Ali Larter again?

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #73
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Yeah I think a bikini bottom would be just find and I would like for her costume to look as much like her classic costume as possible.

What don't you like about Ali Larter again?
I never liked her on Heroes. I always found her boring and somewhat annoying, even when she played several different and quite distinct characters on the show. I think it means therefore I didn't like the actress rather than her character(s).

Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #74
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I never liked her on Heroes. I always found her boring and somewhat annoying, even when she played several different and quite distinct characters on the show. I think it means therefore I didn't like the actress rather than her character(s).
I thought she was pretty good on Heroes and she's seemed like a fine actor in almost every role I've seen her in, plus she looks like Ms. Marvel stepped out of a comic book into real life.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #75
Chewy
REDACTED

Ali Larter is a terrible actress

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote