The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #101
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
People still arguing over Facebook "likes" and youtube views determine box office? All it says is that it's on a lot of peoples minds, doesn't mean they are actually going to go see it.

I think Avengers will make like 300-350 US. 450-500 internationally. TDKR 400-450 US. 450-500 internationally.
Sound like good predictions to me.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #102
Selim844
Newbie First Class

The battle of the comic book movies will end like this:

1. The Dark Knight Rises - $440 domestic, $1050 worldwide
2. The Avengers - $340 domestic, $850 worldwide
3. The Amazing Spider-Man - $270 domestic, $800 worldwide

Selim844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #103
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I don't think The Dark Knight Rises is going to make it past the billion dollar mark.

The Dark Knight itself barely made it.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #104
Selim844
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
I don't think The Dark Knight Rises is going to make it past the billion dollar mark.

The Dark Knight itself barely made it.
Dark Knight Rises will only build and expand on the success of the Dark Knight. It would be different if the Dark Knight was a commercial or critical failure. Just look at how the Dark Knight expanded on the success of Batman Begins ($167m to $469m foreign).

Selim844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #105
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Dark Knight Rises doesn't have the free publicity of a dead teen hearthrob actor. Sorry, I don't see TDKR beating TDK's records.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #106
The Morningstar
Banned User

Doesn't have the Joker either.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #107
PowerPacked
Banned User

With Cabin In The Woods getting rave reviews a month before it's release, I guess it's hard to say that he's untested in writing films anymore.

PowerPacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #108
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Dark Knight Rises doesn't have the free publicity of a dead teen hearthrob actor. Sorry, I don't see TDKR beating TDK's records.
I'm not expecting a billion but you'd be fooling yourself if you said TDKR isn't going to break a few of TDK records.

No celebrity died this time around but what people seem to be forgetting is that it doesn't matter. This is the sequel to TDK (the most successful CBM of all time) being helmed by Christopher Nolan.

That alone will guarantee a box-office monster.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #109
PowerPacked
Banned User

Once they start promoting it and people realize it's being made, that argument will make more sense.

PowerPacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #110
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPacked View Post
Once they start promoting it and people realize it's being made, that argument will make more sense.
TDKR's marketing will likely kick it in gear around late-April or early-May according to our sources. Right now, it's still too early, especially for a July release.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #111
StatenMan93

Listen, The Avengers, they have a hulk. Nuff said lol

StatenMan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #112
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yep and TDKR has the goddamn Batman.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #113
metaphysician
Side-Kick

My own predictions:

-Avengers: 800M+. Take Iron Man 2 gross as a benchmark. Factor in the additional audience gained from Thor and Captain America ( there is overlap, yes, but its not 100% ), 3D bump, and strong positioning. That should be enough to raise it to 800M, easy.

-Dark Knight Rises: 900M+. Dark Knight broke records, and the new movie has the hype from Dark Knight, Nolan's greater name value, and the growing international market. However, what it doesn't have is the Ledger Factor: its villain is not the iconic Joker, said villain is not being played by a teen heart throb, said heart throb is not providing an Oscar caliber performance, and said heart throb hasn't died before release giving tons of free publicity. All told, I think the positives won't fully outweigh the negatives, and TDKR will "only" make in the 900s.

-Amazing Spider-Man: 600M+. TASM is going to suffer the "Batman Begins" effect- popular character, rebooted years after a poor performance. The performance wasn't as bad as Batman & Robin, and the character has stronger appeal in the international market than Batman, so it'll do a lot better than Batman Begins. However, it won't make Raimi numbers.

Note that these are just estimates, I assume a certain amount of leeway ( give or take 50M ) on all of them. I can also see various ways they could go way high or way low. Obviously, a lousy movie will tank performance in any of the cases. As for going stronger than expected. . . okay, if the "Michael Bay" audience goes for the spectacle in Avengers big time, it could easily break 1B, given its positioning. If TDKR has another Oscar-worthy performance, it could easily break 1B. If all the Raimi Spider-fans come out in support of TASM, even it might be able to hit 1B. However, I can't see both TDKR and TASM breaking 1B. If one does, the other won't.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #114
StatenMan93

Quote:
My own predictions:

-Avengers: 800M+. Take Iron Man 2 gross as a benchmark. Factor in the additional audience gained from Thor and Captain America ( there is overlap, yes, but its not 100% ), 3D bump, and strong positioning. That should be enough to raise it to 800M, easy.

-Dark Knight Rises: 900M+. Dark Knight broke records, and the new movie has the hype from Dark Knight, Nolan's greater name value, and the growing international market. However, what it doesn't have is the Ledger Factor: its villain is not the iconic Joker, said villain is not being played by a teen heart throb, said heart throb is not providing an Oscar caliber performance, and said heart throb hasn't died before release giving tons of free publicity. All told, I think the positives won't fully outweigh the negatives, and TDKR will "only" make in the 900s.

-Amazing Spider-Man: 600M+. TASM is going to suffer the "Batman Begins" effect- popular character, rebooted years after a poor performance. The performance wasn't as bad as Batman & Robin, and the character has stronger appeal in the international market than Batman, so it'll do a lot better than Batman Begins. However, it won't make Raimi numbers.

Note that these are just estimates, I assume a certain amount of leeway ( give or take 50M ) on all of them. I can also see various ways they could go way high or way low. Obviously, a lousy movie will tank performance in any of the cases. As for going stronger than expected. . . okay, if the "Michael Bay" audience goes for the spectacle in Avengers big time, it could easily break 1B, given its positioning. If TDKR has another Oscar-worthy performance, it could easily break 1B. If all the Raimi Spider-fans come out in support of TASM, even it might be able to hit 1B. However, I can't see both TDKR and TASM breaking 1B. If one does, the other won't.
Avengers Yeahhh lol

StatenMan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #115
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenMan93 View Post
Avengers Yeahhh lol
Thank you for your brilliant and insightful rebuttal. I think we must all admit that reading it makes us better people.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #116
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

Avengers: Has the coveted May 1st release date, which should lead it to opening over $150m. Its total will be $900m+.

TDKR: Sequel to the biggest SH film of all time, opens in the late July slot which has been money for WB films. OW will be in the $170m+ range and WW totals of over $1 Billion.

DarthAlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #117
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Looking at all the upcoming releases, especially during Summer makes me very glad I no longer work in the movie theater business.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #118
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Let me preface my two cents by saying I'm looking forward to both of these movies, solely because of the directors involved. (I think Whedon and Nolan should seriously do a movie together, someday...) That said...

Quote:
Heath wasn't just a "teen heartthrob," he was a genuinely good actor. I can count half a dozen serious films (other than Brokeback and TDK) he has done. So your argument holds no water.

And TDK changed the face of superhero films. It's sufficiently open-ended to lead into TDKR, but it would've worked without a follow-up too.

And while it may not break the $500M mark like TDK did, TDKR will almost certainly reclaim its record-breaking opening day and opening weekend gross. Just on the pent-up demand and goodwill generated from its previous two films, TDKR will enjoy at least a $400M domestic cume.

The Avengers looks like a great time at the movies, but it's going to have to do some significant crossover appeal (the non-Marvel and non-comic-book movie fans) if it has a chance to giving TDKR a run for its money.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #119
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

The Joker put TDK over a billion. TDKR will not do as well I think. It will still do VERY well though.

I actually think Avengers and TDKR will end up around the same mark. I think Avengers will do a little better than most think and TDKR will do a little worse and they will meet around the 800-900 mark.

The economy is picking up, people are feeling a little better. When the warm weather kicks in people will start hitting the theaters at a greater rate this summer than the last 2 imo.

These movies will both get big #'s. I also think TDKR will do a little better domestically and I think the Avengers will do a little better internationally.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #120
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post

Heath wasn't just a "teen heartthrob," he was a genuinely good actor. I can count half a dozen serious films (other than Brokeback and TDK) he has done. So your argument holds no water.
So, Heath brought even more to TDK than I bothered to describe, and that *weakens* my argument?

Okay, to fill in the full version of my argument:

1. TDK had the Joker, the most iconic and recognizable Bat villain

2. Said villain was played by Heath Ledger, a teen heart throb

3. Said teen heart throb was also a really good actor who gave an Oscar caliber performance

4. Said teen heart throb died before release, giving the movie tons of free publicity

Those are all factors that TDKR doesn't have, as of yet. I stick with my guns: growing name recognition and international market won't outweigh the Ledger-related factors that elevated TDK's gross.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #121
DarthAlani
Side-Kick

Oh great another guy who thinks TDK gross was only due to Ledger. Not to many of those.

DarthAlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #122
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Not *only* due to Heath Ledger. . . but anybody who argues the film would have done a billion without any of the above factors at play? Is fooling themselves.

If the only change was Ledger not dying? Probably chop 100M off the final gross.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #123
jmc
callin' it like I see it

The film scored a billion dollars on the back of it being a great movie. The Joker and Heath Ledger doesn't add an extra $600M to the box office of the previous film, the movie in and of itself adds that extra box office.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #124
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
The film scored a billion dollars on the back of it being a great movie. The Joker and Heath Ledger doesn't add an extra $600M to the box office of the previous film, the movie in and of itself adds that extra box office.
The movie is great and everything but Heath Ledger became a James Dean-like a instant legend right before the movie was released. Thinking that it had absolutely nothing to do is naive.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #125
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
The movie is great and everything but Heath Ledger became a James Dean-like a instant legend right before the movie was released. Thinking that it had absolutely nothing to do is naive.
Thinking it added a significant box office increase in the order of hundreds of millions of dollars is absurd. Ledgers death at best draws in a small percentage of people with a morbid curiosity for a one time viewing, but the film in and of itself was great in spite of his death and probably would have made close to the same amount had he been alive anyway. If the film was average it wouldn't have made the money it did.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote