The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 03-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #151
Matt Mortem
Big Figure

Default Re: Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye! - Part 1

From what I've seen in that new japanese trailer, all of my fears regarding Hawkeye have been put to rest. He looks as badass as he should.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #152
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I'm so happy they made Clint a total badass. He's always been one of my favorites. With all the big guns around I was afraid he would get completely lost in the shuffle.
I never was. There's been some hullabaloo about their lack of powers but character-wise Hawkeye and Black Widow are right up Whedon's alley, maybe even moreso than the big guns

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #153
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I never was. There's been some hullabaloo about their lack of powers but character-wise Hawkeye and Black Widow are right up Whedon's alley, maybe even moreso than the big guns

My concerns came from the sheer number of characters in the film. With so many major players, it would be very easy for some to get short shrift despite the best intentions of the filmmakers.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #154
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
My concerns came from the sheer number of characters in the film. With so many major players, it would be very easy for some to get short shrift despite the best intentions of the filmmakers.
Indeed but Joss is great with juggling a large cast, it's probably the biggest reason he got the gig

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #155
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

So I totally geeked out at the Japanese trailer (and I'm at work *lol*) - one thing that got me, HAWKEYE SPEAKS!!! Okay, it was like one teeny tiny little line, but STILL *lol*

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #156
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

BTW, don't think anyone posted this yet...courtesy of marvel_freshman in the News/Speculation thread. The UHQ Hulk/Hawkeye poster:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel_freshman
Thanks to Guhndoi, Hulk/Hawkeye poster in UHQ
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #157
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #158
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
I love Renner, but with Marvel low-balling their stars, I think we'll be lucky to see him as Clint Barton again. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

If he was replaced, I wouldn't mind. He looks nothing like Clint in the comics. He's more of a normal Ben Grimm.

I'm sure he will do a good job in this movie. But I do like it when they try to match the charcaters' appearance.

Don Cheadle was close match to Rhodey

Ed Norton was a better match for Banner

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #159
Nightwing 52
Things change

Quote:
I'm so happy they made Clint a total badass. He's always been one of my favorites. With all the big guns around I was afraid he would get completely lost in the shuffle.

"I got him."

I never doubted Renner would own this role and the more scenes we get, the more I get pumped. Clint is the definition of classic Avenger and I can't express enough how glad I am that they're displaying his badass nature. The trailer was great, nice shot of Hawk and Widow in the Quinjet as well.

Hawkeye's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most aside from the entire film. Bring it.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #160
bonzob2000
Side-Kick

I love all the extreme low angles Whedon is using to shoot his heroes. Makes them look like Gods. That super low angle of Hawkeye from the Japanese trailer may be the best one yet.

bonzob2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #161
samsnee
Side-Kick

Man, and I thought people on this board were nitpickers.

http://io9.com/5893693/is-hawkeye-fr...s-worst-archer

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #162
Raiden
The Captain

I'm glad Hawkeye finally got a line in the Japanese trailer, even though it is shorter than the one Maria Hill got.

Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #163
Matt Mortem
Big Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
Man, and I thought people on this board were nitpickers.

http://io9.com/5893693/is-hawkeye-fr...s-worst-archer
I just read that. It was annoying. It's a ****ing movie. He's a fictional archer. Everything about a movie like this is very deliberate. I'm certain that the way Hawkeye is using his bow is entirely on purpose, for either dramatic purposes or perhaps it was just easier during filming. That was some grade A nitpicking that guy was doing.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #164
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I just read that. It was annoying. It's a ****ing movie. He's a fictional archer. Everything about a movie like this is very deliberate. I'm certain that the way Hawkeye is using his bow is entirely on purpose, for either dramatic purposes or perhaps it was just easier during filming. That was some grade A nitpicking that guy was doing.

It's called a shameless plug to get that dude's archery company name out there. Honestly, it's such a non-news worthy item I'm surprised that io9 went through the trouble to write it up. Hopefully the do a sequel piece with a real alien telling us why the movie aliens wouldn't wear that kind of armor.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #165
JimMacQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
It was the same nitpicking I did when I reviewed the BRAVE and HUNGER GAMES trailers, the same nitpicking I did when I interviewed Corey Burton and Jeff Bennett and Will.i.am. I write about geeky things that geeky dads and their kids are interested in, and the page views indicate that my posts were popular.

I hate to say it, but you're wrong; the archery in this film is no possible way deliberate, it wasn't easier and it serves no dramatic purpose. It's a display of ignorance and apathy, and as I said, I'm certain it was painful for Renner. What he was doing hurts like hell, and doing it right looks better. He just didn't know any better and neither did Whedon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It's called a shameless plug to get that dude's archery company name out there. Honestly, it's such a non-news worthy item I'm surprised that io9 went through the trouble to write it up. Hopefully the do a sequel piece with a real alien telling us why the movie aliens wouldn't wear that kind of armor.
You're right, it is a non-worthy item and I'm surprised io9 picked it up, but they did. I wrote it for Wired's GeekDad blog. Other people write about novels and Legos and Dr Who, and I occasionally write about archery, as well as Disney shows, movies, and various other topics, pretty much anything but videogames (I'm not a gamer). In the past year, I've written four articles about archery; it just happens that three movies about the subject are coming out soon, and since I know the topic, I get to cover them. Next week I'm writing about Doc McStuffins, a new show for little kids on the Disney channel.

I have to ask though, what archery company? I plugged Pasadena Roving Archers, a non-profit organization that gives free lessons. I don't get paid for teaching there, I do it because I like it.

JimMacQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #166
metaphysician
Side-Kick

No, he's been providing "nitpicking" of archery in comics for years. Its not something new. And note that he himself admits that a lot of his realism complaints don't actually matter, mostly just the "broken wrist" posture and the forearm injuries.

Something he doesn't mention, that he probably should consider, is how many scenes involve CGI-ed archery with no arrows in hand.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #167
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMacQ View Post
It was the same nitpicking I did when I reviewed the BRAVE and HUNGER GAMES trailers, the same nitpicking I did when I interviewed Corey Burton and Jeff Bennett and Will.i.am. I write about geeky things that geeky dads and their kids are interested in, and the page views indicate that my posts were popular.

I hate to say it, but you're wrong; the archery in this film is no possible way deliberate, it wasn't easier and it serves no dramatic purpose. It's a display of ignorance and apathy, and as I said, I'm certain it was painful for Renner. What he was doing hurts like hell, and doing it right looks better. He just didn't know any better and neither did Whedon.

You're right, it is a non-worthy item and I'm surprised io9 picked it up, but they did. I wrote it for Wired's GeekDad blog. Other people write about novels and Legos and Dr Who, and I occasionally write about archery, as well as Disney shows, movies, and various other topics, pretty much anything but videogames (I'm not a gamer). In the past year, I've written four articles about archery; it just happens that three movies about the subject are coming out soon, and since I know the topic, I get to cover them. Next week I'm writing about Doc McStuffins, a new show for little kids on the Disney channel.

I have to ask though, what archery company? I plugged Pasadena Roving Archers, a non-profit organization that gives free lessons. I don't get paid for teaching there, I do it because I like it.
You had me at self admitted nitpicking. Completely lost me with the rest.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #168
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
If he was replaced, I wouldn't mind. He looks nothing like Clint in the comics. He's more of a normal Ben Grimm.

I'm sure he will do a good job in this movie. But I do like it when they try to match the charcaters' appearance.

Don Cheadle was close match to Rhodey

Ed Norton was a better match for Banner

Not... really. Visually, at least.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #169
Matt Mortem
Big Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMacQ View Post

So you're saying that a film like this, that features a main character who's claim to fame is archery, just said **** it when it came to the archery? I'm not buying it. Film making is a very deliberate thing. Besides, who gives a flying **** if the archery isn't perfect. That's not going to make or break this movie. Hawkeye looks awesome doing Hawkeye stuff. 'Nuff said.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #170
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

So.....Renner isn't really a world class archer.....I'm destroyed to the core of my soul......

C. Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #171
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
So.....Renner isn't really a world class archer.....I'm destroyed to the core of my soul......
Thank god Mark Ruffalo is a real scientist or else I'd really have no reason to see this farce

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #172
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Thank god Mark Ruffalo is a real scientist or else I'd really have no reason to see this farce
Just don't tell me that Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston aren't really gods... I just don't know if I'd be able to take it

~Agents of SHIELD
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #173
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Just don't tell me that Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston aren't really gods... I just don't know if I'd be able to take it
You may need to sit down for this one...

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #174
mara
Super Mole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
Aliens.... (advance beings from another world)

I am undecided where hawkeye is concerned in this movie, he's bad*** in the comic books and I hope they do him justice in the movie.

mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #175
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
Aliens.... (advance beings from another world)
Aliens/gods... doesn't matter, all I know is in Thor it showed them able to fly and wield lightning, and freeze things, and be really really strong...

...if all that was just some lie - just some false imagery created in computers, well then... I just don't think I can trust movies anymore. I thought they told us the absolute truth

*lol*

~Agents of SHIELD