The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 03-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #151
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Default Re: Downey's last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
Actually I think IRON MAN is now an A lister just like Supes, Bats, and SPIDERMAN; although I would put the latter 2 as A+ listers; nowadays people may know him but very few people outside of DC fans care about Superman anymore.

IRON MAN was a surprise commercial success because mainly it was an excellent movie; the only 10/10 comicbook superhero movie IMO
Eh, Batman and Superman have been around for over 20 years on the big-screen, and Spiderman for a decade. All three franchises have financial and critically acclaimed films -- Iron Man is just starting out.

As Parker Wayne stated, Superman's perception will change with Snyder's/Nolan's Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #152
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Eh, Batman and Superman have been around for over 20 years on the big-screen, and Spiderman for a decade. All three franchises have financial and critically acclaimed films -- Iron Man is just starting out.

As Parker Wayne stated, Superman's perception will change with Snyder's/Nolan's Man of Steel.
I define A list status by how recognizable a character is on a global scale. It would be hard pressed to find people in modernized countries who don't know Supes, Bats, Spider-Man and even Hulk. Wonder Woman, maybe. The rest are B-listers or below.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #153
L0ngsh0t
Side-Kick

There is no reason to end the IM franchise. James Bond is on it's 22nd film and they are actively looking to recast in case Craig is on his last run.

Iron Man and most of the MCU IMO has a very James Bond feel to it....just move on to the next set of stories, if RDJ wants to continue he can do it till he's done.....then if they wanna get someone else, yeah do something that will make it fresh and unique but keep this Indiana Jones/James Bond like just on to the next one

DMB #41
L0ngsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #154
Octoberist
point blank

I think you can have more Iron Man past RDJ, but man, he really made Tony his own. He's the main reason why non-comic fans like the IM movies in the first place.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #155
Karelia
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I think you can have more Iron Man past RDJ, but man, he really made Tony his own. He's the main reason why non-comic fans like the IM movies in the first place.
The first Iron Man movie actually got me reading comics. I always watched the animated cartoons and live action movies as a kid, but after watching IM, I decided to grab a few Iron Man graphic novels. RDJ's performance sold me on Iron Man as a character. He makes the character a lot more interesting than most of the writers of the comics for Iron Man, needless to say. Although I still enjoyed quite a few of the ones I got.

I think RDJ's Iron Man will be like Keaton's Batman for some people. Just hard to top. At least for me.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #156
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Even though IM3 will be his 4th of the 4-picture deal(pretty sure that was his deal), I think he'll sign on to finish the initial run through avengers 3. Past that, who knows, by that time they could probably have enough other avengers that they could replace IM on the team if they wanted. I wouldn't want to flat-out recast stark within the current MCU unless it was the absolute last resort.

my hope is that RDJ stays stark until he can't physically do it anymore.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #157
Danalys
Sol Invictus

maybe the guy who's jon snow on game of thrones could be suitable one day.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #158
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

I can't imagine disney/marvel not resigning him for the rest of the avengers movies...after his current contract or even extending it

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #159
Fudgie
Banned User

Agreed. He's too good to recast if they can keep him.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #160
jacobed
Banned User

Downey has stated a few times that after IM3 he's going to slow his movie output big time because of his new baby. They should not recast Tony Stark anytime soon, RDJ is the only reason that everyone especially the general public like Iron Man

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #161
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Sign him for Avengers 2 and 3 and let him make a few cameos ala TIH so it doesn't seem like he just disappeared in the MCU. I mean, Thor, Cap and Hulk all had one film for phase one. Its assumed they, along with IM, will have one film for phase two, so the only thing we'll miss is an IM film for phase 3, which is fine since we were lucky enough to get 2 of them in phase 1.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:14 AM   #162
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Downey has stated a few times that after IM3 he's going to slow his movie output big time because of his new baby. They should not recast Tony Stark anytime soon, RDJ is the only reason that everyone especially the general public like Iron Man
See i look at this statement optimistically. After IM3 we only need iron man for avengers 2 and 3, he could fit that in every two to three years couldn't he? Additionally, RDJ has gone on record saying he loves the character and would love to continue playing him. Plus he might just fell obliged to do it for the studio that resurrected his career.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 AM   #163
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I remember Downey saying somehing like after Iron Man 3 he and Marvel would "go back to renegotiating", or something along those lines. I see him doing two more Avengers films, but not Iron Man 4.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #164
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

^^^ agreed

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #165
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
I remember Downey saying somehing like after Iron Man 3 he and Marvel would "go back to renegotiating", or something along those lines. I see him doing two more Avengers films, but not Iron Man 4.
Two Avengers sequels is almost a given at this point.

Small cameo appearances in some other Marvel films? I could easily see them coming to agreement on that.

Iron Man 4? ...I honestly don't know. I think it really depends on how 3 fares at the box office. If it's a massive success, outdoing IM2, I could imagine them pressing for a fourth and final IM film.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #166
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I could see an Iron man 4 if Iron Man 3 does well, even if it does not make IM2 numbers, now take his comments with a grain of salt, but he was asked around the time of the first film would he do more Iron Man films other than the three he signed for and he enthusiatically said he would do 20 if the let him.
That said, he is getting older, has a family, and wants to slow down, he will most likely need to do Avengers 2 & 3, plus he has other films he is committed to, but I can see him doing at least one more Iron Man movie, especially if he and Shane Black want to do, plus, really think, outside of Iron Man, and soon the Avengers, what other franchise has been a huge hit for Marvel studios, Thor, Captain America and Hulk all made around $55-$60 million domestically on their opening weekends, Iron Man and Iron Man 2 did $90 to $100 million opening weekends, so if other Marvel films continue to do lower numbers, than Marvel will want Iron Man to fill in and make some money for the studio, IMO.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #167
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

That's all very true, but as far as other franchises not performing up to Iron Man standards, I think that could very well change after the Avengers.

Next year, anyone who wasn't ecstatic about Thor or Captain America in their first films will have probably seen them kicking ass in The Avengers, which could easily get people more excited for their sequel films.

I think Avengers will act as a boost for the existing franchises, and Marvel knows this. They really only have to be concerned with introducing new franchises. After Avengers, the existing ones will probably take care of themselves more or less.

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #168
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
That's all very true, but as far as other franchises not performing up to Iron Man standards, I think that could very well change after the Avengers.

Next year, anyone who wasn't ecstatic about Thor or Captain America in their first films will have probably seen them kicking ass in The Avengers, which could easily get people more excited for their sequel films.

I think Avengers will act as a boost for the existing franchises, and Marvel knows this. They really only have to be concerned with introducing new franchises. After Avengers, the existing ones will probably take care of themselves more or less.
Agreed.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #169
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

It's just my feeling, but I think he has a genuine affection for the character and the fans. Clearly he'll want what he's worth but I think as long as Marvel Studios is willing to bend a little, he'll come back.

I think Iron Man without RDJ would be a hard sell at this point so it would perhaps be the best move on MS' part anyway. Actually, the same goes for Evans and Hemsworth too. All of those guys basically ARE their characters. It's pretty uncanny.

Mr. Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #170
Avid Avenger
Newbie First Class

I certainly hope RDJ stays for as long as possible, he's the reason I now love Iron Man. Before the first movie I didn't have any care for him....I only liked Spidey.....I can't picture anyone else as Stark

Avid Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #171
Webhead38
Side-Kick

With RDJ's contract maturing, I think it's smart for him to publicly remain non-committed especially if Avengers becomes a mega-blockbuster. RDJ will have some serious negotiating weight on his side and could really sweeten the deal for his next series of Marvel pictures. In the end, I believe he will remain on board. He is so well liked, I can't find a good reason for him to walk away from this golden egg. It's not like he's unable to be successful in other films. He's not typecast like Reeves was with Superman, so why not continue? The stories are great and it only makes his resume' look that much better.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #172
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
With RDJ's contract maturing, I think it's smart for him to publicly remain non-committed especially if Avengers becomes a mega-blockbuster. RDJ will have some serious negotiating weight on his side and could really sweeten the deal for his next series of Marvel pictures. In the end, I believe he will remain on board. He is so well liked, I can't find a good reason for him to walk away from this golden egg. It's not like he's unable to be successful in other films. He's not typecast like Reeves was with Superman, so why not continue? The stories are great and it only makes his resume' look that much better.
Another point, the character is middle aged and with modern tech and makeup they could easily make him convincingly middle aged looking for a very long time. So it's not as if he won't look the part any time soon.

Mr. Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #173
antonydelfini
Did I get You?!!

In terms of iconic status in the superhero realm, this is my ranking:
1. SUPERMAN
2. BATMAN
3. SPIDER-MAN
4. WONDER WOMAN
5. THE HULK
6. IRON MAN
7. WOLVERINE

I think those are the guys even my grandma can recognize.

As for Iron Man 3 being his last, I would like to see an Iron Man 4 and then 2 Avengers sequels. RDJ can still play this character for 10-12 years more.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #174
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Marvel prolly doesnt want to pay RDJ. Im sure they got him fairly cheap in the beginning since his career kinda went into hibernation but now hes popular again theyll prolly recast him to avoid having to pay the guy big bucks.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #175
jacobed
Banned User

I think its just more of down the road when he decides he doesnt want to do them anymore, they just wont go the reboot route which I think is a great idea.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote