The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #301
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: So what DIDN'T we like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post

3. Not much war story was covered, and Nazis did not make an appearance.
Yes they did. They were the three guys who Red Skull fried with his cosmic cube gun.

My only complaints about this film is some of the green screen work was really bad. It lacked depth. Also the last part of the movie is pretty rushed, the final battle where the allies storm Red Skull's base should have been a bit more dragged out.

Last edited by The Morningstar; 02-23-2012 at 02:35 AM.
The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #302
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

That's true, the Nazis did make a cameo appearance.

Truth be told, I thought the Red Skull looked great, they just didn't give him much to do.

Overall, the movie didn't really give me a World War II feel. There were a few scenes, like Steve at the recruitment office, the lab scene, and the movies that pulled it off, but they were mostly in the first thirty minutes. Other than that though, very little reference to the ongoing conflict. The greatest conflict in history. It was little more than a backdrop, when they remembered it.

The lack of Nazis, the fairly blasé attitudes, and futuristic elements didn't help. It lacked an authenticity, at least in the historic department.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #303
zanos
Banned User

I found it really odd that the producers took the opportunity to introduce every ethnic group they could into the army. I wasn't crazy about the ending either.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #304
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, they had a female British officer giving orders. After that, having a few ethnic characters in a segregated army didn't seem like a big suspension of disbelief.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #305
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanos View Post
I found it really odd that the producers took the opportunity to introduce every ethnic group they could into the army. I wasn't crazy about the ending either.
Are you talking about the Howling Commandos, because the characters Gabe Jones and Jim Morita are from the comic. If anything the Howling Commandos should should have had more to do in the movie.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #306
zanos
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, they had a female British officer giving orders. After that, having a few ethnic characters in a segregated army didn't seem like a big suspension of disbelief.
As patently ridiculous as that was, they kind of sold me on it. The Howling commandoes was just a a little too much on top of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Are you talking about the Howling Commandos, because the characters Gabe Jones and Jim Morita are from the comic. If anything the Howling Commandos should should have had more to do in the movie.
I didn't realize that. Not everything in a comic should be in a film. This was no exception.

zanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 AM   #307
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

I still don't see the problem with it, even if they weren't in the comic books. When Cap finds them their POWs and he drafts them to work on his own team. I don't see how that's ridiculous in any way.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #308
The Morningstar
Banned User

Agreed. It's not like they were already a team of different nationals. They were all individuals who were captured. US Army/Marines, SAS/Royal Commando, French Resistance etc. Cap just hand picked those guys because he thought they were the best.

It was also a good metaphor for the war being won by the allied nations, not just America.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #309
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
I should clarify. It didn't have any impact on me (not the other characters) because he wasn't really given any time to become an established character. By comparison, I felt that Erskine's death was a far bigger deal because we got to know and care about him before he got killed. Bucky was just a background character. There was nothing to differentiate him from any of the other Howling Commandos, none of whom were really handled that well. Their equivalents in Thor (Sif & The Warriors Three) had much more personality.
Bucky was well established at the beginning, and shown to be Steve's inspirtation/hero. The man he wished he was at the time. I thought it worked.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #310
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I was surprised that they only had him taking out HYDRA Nazis. It's WWII there should of been some authentic Nazi's being bashed in with the shield. Definitely bad form on not asking about the War. What would that have added 30 seconds onto the ending?

From the trailer where he busts the punching bag, I'm going to venture to guess Avengers takes place relatively soon after CATFA, he clearly looked bothered and frustrated at his situation. they also said it would be from Rogers' perspective so that makes me think he'll be pretty fresh as far as being thawed out and getting used to everything.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #311
Octoberist
point blank

I know 'steampunk' gets tossed a lot, but there's a part of me who wished 'HYDRA' had weapons that was advanced by was still confined to that ERA's available technology. So I guess a form of 'steampunk', or rather 'diesel punk' would have kept a more..old school look.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #312
sabetoonth
Who?

Okay I just finished watching it for the second time in two days, my biggest thing was the CGI when Steve moved really fast, at times I thought it looked really fake, sometimes it looked good, but others it looked meh at best.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #313
cronosred
Side-Kick

After having watched this a few times I will say the things I disliked are

1. Red Skull- gets the cube that will "change the world" yet every time Cap shows up he packs up and runs to the next base over and over.

2. WW2 In Name Only- It's all about Hydra, no Nazi's, concentration camps, nothing.

3. The Cosmic Cube- The thing I disliked most about this movie was the Cosmic Cube, I mean what was the point? Red Skull gets the cube and makes super weapons yet his forces are always outmatched by the good guys with regular weapons which leads to the question why are the good guy's not using the super weapons they took from Hydra and why are they not taking more of them from each base they go to, but then again I guess it's not like they needed them?

4. the ending- Why couldn't they use the super weapons to shoot down Red Skull's plane? Why did Steve have to crash the plane when it seemed like all it was filled with was a bunch of little planes that no longer had any pilots?

I do like this movie but it is my least favorite Marvel Studio film.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #314
Sundancer
Cynicist

My sig.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #315
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

movie was to short

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #316
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
My sig.
Heh, i didn't even notice that, but yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I know 'steampunk' gets tossed a lot, but there's a part of me who wished 'HYDRA' had weapons that was advanced by was still confined to that ERA's available technology. So I guess a form of 'steampunk', or rather 'diesel punk' would have kept a more..old school look.
FULLY agree with this. Iron Man 2 had an important point where Tony Stark's father comments on how, despite his technological genius, he was still limited to the "technology of his time", and yet, in CA:FA, weapons technology was as advanced as it is today. Yes, it was POWERED by the Cosmic Cube, but that doesn't explain the weapons' ability to harness/control said power.

Granted, it's a comic book movie, and suspension of belief is needed, but I think that I personally would have believed it more if the advanced weapons still looked like they were borne from the technology of the era.

Spider-Who? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #317
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

My list:

1) Lack of emotional impact upon Bucky's demise, needed more set-up.

2) Not enough passage of time was conveyed with the montage.

I'd have tried solving both of those by removing the Howling Commandoes scenes which were themselves so limited as to be near pointless. They could still have appeared in a few scenes, but as nameless background characters to be expanded upon in a later film. Here, they're just eating up screentime better spent elsewhere imo.

Take out the HC, add more Bucky, and either extend the montage or have two, one focusing on Cap vs Hydra, and the other depicting the passing of time and Steve's involvment in other areas of the war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
and Nazis did not make an appearance.
Even with them on film (and in my personal favorite scene from the movie), this old chestnut refuses to go away. Good Lord.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #318
The Morningstar
Banned User

Yea, people who keep going on about Nazi's not being in the film need to take their Ritalin or something.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #319
gkokujin
Side-Kick

My biggest issue aside from people taking orders from a woman, and the black guy having anything to say back then...

Who taught Cap how to fight?
He just put the suit on and was olympic level athlete material.

Why didn't we see him on the pommel horse? rings? learning to box, learning martial arts?

He just got injected and was cap.

this should not be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #320
cronosred
Side-Kick

One thing I would have liked is when Steve got the flag that he would have turned down the ride back to base and continued to run with his troop. He wanted so much to get there it just seemed off that he would take an easy way out once he was there.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #321
Glassjaw
In training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
My list:

2) Not enough passage of time was conveyed with the montage.
This for me was a huge problem. After such a brilliant build up (everything up until the montage is near perfect IMO) where his origin is given plenty of time, his actual actions during WW2 become a montage which doesn't convey any weight to the job he's out there doing for America and the Allies.
And because it then all gets so CG heavy (I found it to be so fake looking) we suddenly go from a grounded first half to a cheesy sci fi romp with lazers, which shouldn't be what Cap's involvement and contribution to WW2 is about. There's a reason he's considered a legend in modern Marvel time, but because of the all too brief montage scenes, we don't get to see him earn that reputation properly.

Part of this could also be that he was fighting Hydra all the time. Perhaps spending a bit more time fighting actual Nazi's would have grounded this more in the reality we could relate to.

There's a shot of him running through the woods shooting his pistol with his allies behind him which the Avengers used for a brief second when introducing Cap, and I just wish the film had expanded on something like that. There was nothing weighty about his involvement in the war when all we get to see are him turning up and quickly dispatching Hydra troops.

I do love the film, and Chris Evans performance, I just get frustrated with it at times.

Last edited by Glassjaw; 05-28-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #322
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

The montage was pretty crummy in my opinion. In the Avengers, we hear Coulson is a huge Captain America fan. It felt like he was Captain America for like a few weeks in battle during WW2

Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #323
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
The montage was pretty crummy in my opinion. In the Avengers, we hear Coulson is a huge Captain America fan. It felt like he was Captain America for like a few weeks in battle during WW2
That was due to all of Cap's propaganda films and shows.

And that montage made it look like he was doing those for at least several months to a year.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #324
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Would people still be complaining about this if they'd put up a "(Wherever Those Mountains Were) - April/May 1945" marker when the movie cut to the Howling Commandos about to board Zola's train?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #325
CGHulk
Green Guy

Here's some plot holes.

At the end of the movie, why didn't Steve just fly the ship back to London or just land the ship on the ice? Since he was able to point the nose of the ship downward to crash it he in a sense had control of it.
Why didn't any of the bombs go off when he crashed the flying wing or when he crashed one of bombs in the back hangar of the flying wing?
The real question is were the bombs explosive at all?

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 05-30-2012 at 12:52 PM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote