I'll Deal With It 20 8.93%
Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #126
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 9

Oh, and here's the first critics review on RT too - http://www.littlewhitelies.co.uk/the...t-of-day-18471

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #127
KRIM
Banned User

Ouch. This film isn't getting much love at all. C'mon Cavill, keep your head on straight. Just wait until MOS blows up, then you'll have a better selection of scripts.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #128
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Yey, found it! Thanks google!

http://www.henry-cavill-verse.com/po...ine-march-2012

‘Working on it was exhausting,’ Cavill Admits of the Madrid shoot, ‘It was six-day weeks and me running petrified scared. Not the Hollywood version of petrified scared-they really wanted me to be hyperventilating over-the-top scared.’
Well, that explains some of that "acting" ... It really looks ridiculous.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
Old 04-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #129
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Another critics review on RT http://whatculture.com/film/the-cold...t-film-yet.php

Quote:
If there’s one thing that Mechri’s film conveys well, it is Cavill’s physical prowess and chiseled good looks. He looks good running around shooting people, but we get little insight into how he functions as an actor because, frankly, he, like everyone else involved, doesn’t seem to know what to do with the painfully rote script. The jury on him will likely remain out until Zack Snyder’s film releases, one imagines.

Quite ironically, this is a film so bad that the specious preamble is in fact the most interesting component; the sun-kissed locales are pleasant, and some of the verbal sparring between Cavill and Willis is potent enough, suggesting an uncomfortable past lying beneath the surface. However, it is never mentioned again once the kidnap narrative begins, as it is no longer convenient to bloat out this woefully malnourished story.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #130
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Wasn't expecting it to be a good flick. No loss.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #131
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I decided not to go and see it after all It sounds like it would be worth waiting for the dvd and saving myself the hassle.

*\S/T*
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #132
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

It was never going to be anything more than a film similar to Abduction. It doesn't really matter for Cavill, it's a throw away flick.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #133
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Throw away flicks might be okay if you are an established actor but I wouldn't say it's great for an actor trying to establish himself. He didn't exactly get glowing marks for Immortals, though that may have been the part of the direction as well. Man of Steel will be his third kick at the can at least in terms of high profile movies. Then he has that move about The Great Wall. Luckily there aren't too many go to guys in Hollywood these days. I think he will be competing for roles against the likes of Channing Tatum and Lautner if he isn't careful.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #134
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

You can't exactly hold this (or Immortals) against the dude. They were the best offers he got at the time... and he took it. Brotha's gotta eat. Now whatever he takes on post-Man of Steel is on him.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #135
Rockstar
Banned User

The only thing we can gage from this film is Cavill's American accent. It sounds so weird though.

He sounds more mature with his UK accent.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #136
batman44
Go Speed GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
You can't exactly hold this (or Immortals) against the dude. They were the best offers he got at the time... and he took it. Brotha's gotta eat. Now whatever he takes on post-Man of Steel is on him.
I would have done the movies too if that was all I could get.

Now want to see this film just so I can know how bad it is. It could be one those so bad it's good type of films.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #137
Visceral
Side-Kick

will we get a teaser with TDKR?

“I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.”
Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #138
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

We don't know, but at this point in time, it seems likely.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #139
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
To be fair Immortals was pretty good in my opinion and in some ways a big type of movie certainly bigger scale than Cold Light of Day.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 04-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #140
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I don't know why many people here think that Immortals did not do well and it was a terrible movie.

According to Box Office Mojo site -

Immortals (2011)

Production Budget: $75 million

Worldwide Collections: $227 mil.

That are decent figures, it did not fail at B.O.

Again, looking at Average Tomatometer Rating on RT - 5.1 /10 is not bad.

Plus the fact that Immortals got a high profile launch and good marketing.

The Cold Light of Day is nowhere near that.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-08-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #141
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I really don't understand why some people (like that reviewer above) are acting like "the jury's still out" on Cavill's acting ability. I would agree that it remains to be seen whether or not he has the powerful presence required to truly fill Superman's shoes. But why are people still treating him like he has never acted before? Whether you liked Immortals or not, Cavill did a good job in that movie. It's not his fault that the script was sh**. Why doesn't The Tudors count? He was really good on that show and held his own among some of England's best veteran actors and people just dismiss him for some reason.

The Cold Light of Day does look sh**y. I won't argue that. But Cavill has been good in plenty of stuff and I'm not worried about his acting the way I've been about some actors cast in iconic roles. Hell, all anyone had seen of Chris Hemsworth before Thor was a five minute scene in Star Trek and some people were hailing that as brilliant casting right after it was announced! Fortunately, Hemsworth turned out great but I had no idea if he would or not.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #142
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I thought Cavill came off well in Immortals, tbh. Sure, the script was awful, but I don't think that's a role/project he should necessarily regret. The reviews on the whole didn't bash his performance. If anything, I think it got some people who were previously unfamiliar with him on board with the idea of him as Supes.

Cold Light of Day, on the other hand? Just sounds bad all around.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 AM   #143
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought his performance in Immortals was really good.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #144
Rockstar
Banned User

I'm of the opinion that Cavill is a serviceable actor. He's decent, but nothing special. He may have potential down the line, but it can't be judged from what he's done so far.

He's nowhere near guys like Fassbender who had BAFTA noms and British Independant Film Awards before being cast as Magneto.

That being said, he's still the most experienced Superman actor to ever don the cape. No previous Superman actor had done this many films before making their debut as Superman. It's a first time the role hasn't gone to a complete unknown.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #145
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I'm of the opinion that Cavill is a serviceable actor. He's decent, but nothing special. He may have potential down the line, but it can't be judged from what he's done so far.

He's nowhere near guys like Fassbender who had BAFTA noms and British Independant Film Awards before being cast as Magneto.

That being said, he's still the most experienced Superman actor to ever don the cape. No previous Superman actor had done this many films before making their debut as Superman. It's a first time the role hasn't gone to a complete unknown.

Agreed. I find it weird that Superman, perhaps the most known hero of all time, has had such a track record with casting unknown actors.

Only a small few, including George Reeves, have been really "known" before being cast in the role.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #146
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I thought Cavill came off well in Immortals, tbh. Sure, the script was awful, but I don't think that's a role/project he should necessarily regret. The reviews on the whole didn't bash his performance. If anything, I think it got some people who were previously unfamiliar with him on board with the idea of him as Supes.
Agreed.

A few of my friends have seen Immortals now, or said they wanted to see it from the trailers, and I love being able to say to them 'He's the new Superman btw' and get a positive response from that.

Cold Light of Day on the other hand, I was actually hoping people haven't heard about. I was telling someone I wanted to go to the cinema and they asked me what I wanted to see and I just said 'Oh it's just some crappy movie no one else would wanna watch, but it's got a guy in that I like.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

I think that's the main point, and I think that's why all the 'jury's still out' comments are happening.

It's because people think he has the potential to turn out to be a great actor, not just a good actor... but nothing has confirmed that yet.

I guess MOS will be the performance that either makes or breaks him. Because if he's not great in that, then you just kind of have to accept he's just a 'good' actor and nothing more.

*\S/T*
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #147
Prime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post

I guess MOS will be the performance that either makes or breaks him. Because if he's not great in that, then you just kind of have to accept he's just a 'good' actor and nothing more.
Hey, if Christopher Nolan thinks Cavill is going to be ´´amazing`` and ´´extraordinary`` in MOS then that's a good enough sign to be optimistic!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #148
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
Hey, if Christopher Nolan thinks Cavill is going to be ´´amazing`` and ´´extraordinary`` in MOS then that's a good enough sign to be optimistic!
True

*\S/T*
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #149
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

What matters is how Cavill performs as Supes now, if he is good, everything else will be forgotten soon and I believe that he will give a good performance as Superman.

Although I think that he was good in Immortals.

*\S/T*
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #150
rondroid
synthesized

it's been a while since i've visited this site, i've lurked in this forum for a while i feel like a need to jump into the debate about cavills' acting chops. All i have to say is that i believe he has it in him to be an very good actor perhaps even extraordinary. being in england i've seen him in a few tv programmes and such and while his method of acting isn't anything special his self confidence and presence make him the right choice as superman. I also believe that being cast along side an incredibly talented ensemble cast of award winning actors will make him a better peformer. I really think he's going to nail the part as superman . People forget that he's a relatively young guy so he'll only improve from here on out.

Closed Thread