The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #701
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 2

Oh yeah. He never forgets that protecting the innocent is his primary objective and the rationale for his actions, but I think he was much more focused and ready to ice the Joker and anyone who got in his way of doing that.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #702
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I didn't really think about it until now but it fits Keaton's characterization so well that once he finds out Napier killed his parents it's open season on criminals, anything goes. So maybe it's not that he just chooses to kill because it's for the greater good, but that he can't control himself. He's spiraling deeper into the darkness. Killing the Joker should have made him feel better, but it didn't. Keaton's Bruce Wayne is one hell of a character.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #703
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #704
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

as much as i like the Nolan series,and Bale as Bruce/Batman....i enjoy Keaton's portrayal MUCH more for many of the reasons others have listed...he truly felt like a tortured soul...this was a guy who was hurt,and from that point foward his whole life has been living in that hurt,so when he finally gets the ability to attack criminals,those who caused his hurt , he goes and gets his revenge on them,both physically beating them and psychologically scaring them...

it's also one of the reason's the Vickie Vale situation would never work,nor should it have....this guy is borderline psychotic, though he thankfully pushes that instability towards criminals rather than just anyone who crosses his path.definitely not the guy who's capable of being in a "normal",stable relationship,and no doubt his refusal to give up being Batman had a lot to do with the end of their relationship. Though i think Vickie probably already knew that, even if she didn't want to accept it just yet, given her comment to Alfred when he told her Bruce would be late - " I'm not a bit surprised ...." she knew he was Batman,and that was it,even though they were gonna try to love each other...

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #705
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
Nice find. Where did this take place?

Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 AM   #706
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Peoples Choice Awards in 1990

Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #707
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I don't think Bruce gets it until the end of Batman Returns. He lights a guy on fire in the beginning of that one and doesn't change his expression.
Exactly. It's at the end of Batman Returns where he has a radical change in opinion about the law applying to him as much as it does to Schreck and Selina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
That's true. I'd say Alfred and Gordon are the ones who could/should be worried about it, Alfred as a fatherly figure and Gordon as officer of the law. Rest of Gothamites might not be too worried about criminals who now they're sure won't kill of rob them anymore.

But I guess at the end of B89 Gordon and the other authorities are just glad they're someone else helping them efficiently.

Now, about BB, it's not like Bruce Wayne was too worried because Alfred reprimanded him. Rachel was reason enough to put policemen's lives in danger. Which is why I still think it was Gordon - apart from ALfred - the one to tell him a couple of words about it.
See because Gordon helped Batman get Rachel out of Arkham after she'd been poisoned, he may have understood the nature of the urgency of Batman's reckless driving to get her the antidote quickly. I doubt he approved of it, and yes it wouldn't have hurt to have him mention something to Batman, but I think Alfred biting his head off over it was sufficient for the audience to know that Batman's shouldn't be doing this, even if an innocent life was in danger.

Quote:
That's hearsay. Police could have thought that it was Spider-man who killed the mugger in SM1 because he fell off.

They also said that he couldn't be killed and that he drank blood.
That's why I said it's implied. We know Spider-Man doesn't kill, and the movies never implied he did. Aunt May was surprised when Peter told her Spider-Man killed Sandman.

Nobody would be surprised if someone said Batman killed a criminal in these movies.

When they said he couldn't be killed, they were obviously referring to the fact that they shoot him and he just gets back up. The drinks blood remark was most likely hyperbole from terrified criminals who thought they saw a giant bat creature.

- The Joker
Old 04-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #708
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
See because Gordon helped Batman get Rachel out of Arkham after she'd been poisoned, he may have understood the nature of the urgency of Batman's reckless driving to get her the antidote quickly. I doubt he approved of it, and yes it wouldn't have hurt to have him mention something to Batman, but I think Alfred biting his head off over it was sufficient for the audience to know that Batman's shouldn't be doing this, even if an innocent life was in danger.
We saw Gordon driving like nuts (a car that he didn't know like the Tumbler) in a case of emergency. So he and we know he wouldn't be as negligent with other people's lives.

And Alfred was far from biting Bruce's head off. Bruce just said 'Rachel was in danger' and that was it. Alfred looked more worried about Bruce staining the Waynes's name.

Quote:
That's why I said it's implied. We know Spider-Man doesn't kill, and the movies never implied he did. Aunt May was surprised when Peter told her Spider-Man killed Sandman.

Nobody would be surprised if someone said Batman killed a criminal in these movies.

When they said he couldn't be killed, they were obviously referring to the fact that they shoot him and he just gets back up. The drinks blood remark was most likely hyperbole from terrified criminals who thought they saw a giant bat creature.
Well I doubt anyone but Gordon and Rachel would be very surprised if someone said Batman killed a criminal in BB.

And I know the meaning of those rumours. My point is that they are not necessarily true. Hence, what other posters say, that Batman didn't kill untill he found Jack Napier, could be true.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #709
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

plus,we actually don't know the nature of Johnny Gobbs death either...just cause 1 crack-head IMPLIES that Batman killed him,doesn't mean he wasn't high and fell off the roof by himself,or he saw Batman and jumped...

i'm definitely a subscriber to the theory he didn't start killing til he discovered his parents killer, then became a psychotic Batman, til seeing the same psychotic look and attitude in his mirror image,Catwoman,and that made him realize he was wrong,and come back from the edge....

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #710
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post

It's cool to see Nicholson and Keaton together without their costumes and makeup on. Not hating eachothers guts for what they did to each other as their characters did. They seem like good friends in real life. Though that was 22 yrs ago.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #711
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

They are supposedly still quite close...

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #712
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Matthau is a legend. Anyone else probably knows that you don't touch Nicholson's face and live to brag.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #713
iwtv
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1974 View Post
plus,we actually don't know the nature of Johnny Gobbs death either...just cause 1 crack-head IMPLIES that Batman killed him,doesn't mean he wasn't high and fell off the roof by himself,or he saw Batman and jumped...
Ah yes, the roof scene..."American Express card! Don't leave home without it!" :P

Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #714
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
We saw Gordon driving like nuts (a car that he didn't know like the Tumbler) in a case of emergency. So he and we know he wouldn't be as negligent with other people's lives.
Indeed. I think we even see him mouth "Sorry" when he nearly hits someone.

Quote:
And Alfred was far from biting Bruce's head off. Bruce just said 'Rachel was in danger' and that was it. Alfred looked more worried about Bruce staining the Waynes's name.
He wasn't shouting at him. Alfred never does that. But he raised his voice "It's a miracle no one was killed", and then accused him of getting lost in "this monster of yours".

Harsh words.

Quote:
Well I doubt anyone but Gordon and Rachel would be very surprised if someone said Batman killed a criminal in BB.
What makes you say that? He never developed a rep for killing in Nolan's movies. Not in Begins, and certainly not in TDK when Maroni informed him the underworld was now wise to him having rules and boundaries.

Quote:
And I know the meaning of those rumours. My point is that they are not necessarily true. Hence, what other posters say, that Batman didn't kill untill he found Jack Napier, could be true.
But that's my point. We don't know that for certain. There is an implication that he did. The thugs are talking about some criminal who is dead now because of an apparent run in with this Batman character.

- The Joker
Old 04-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #715
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
But that's my point. We don't know that for certain. There is an implication that he did. The thugs are talking about some criminal who is dead now because of an apparent run in with this Batman character.
I agree. It is more likely to assume he did kill Gobbs given his track record during the film itself. But as you said we don't know. I'm leaning on the side of he didn't. Gobbs could have taken a walk off a roof after becoming disoriented from seeing Batman. At this stage he developed a fearsome reputation of myth. At the beginning he chose to let those two punks get away with their life to tell their scary tale.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #716
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I agree. It is more likely to assume he did kill Gobbs given his track record during the film itself. But as you said we don't know. I'm leaning on the side of he didn't. Gobbs could have taken a walk off a roof after becoming disoriented from seeing Batman. At this stage he developed a fearsome reputation of myth. At the beginning he chose to let those two punks get away with their life to tell their scary tale.
Thats how I've always seen it.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #717
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
It's cool to see Nicholson and Keaton together without their costumes and makeup on. Not hating eachothers guts for what they did to each other as their characters did. They seem like good friends in real life. Though that was 22 yrs ago.
Quote:
They are supposedly still quite close...
That's cool.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #718
ShaneHelms
CS Model 101

Quote:

Man I love this suit!!
Bad Ass.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #719
SHADOWBAT69
outlaw

Quote:

Does anyone remember watching this?

After Mathau stepped aside and Jack and Keaton were standing there. Nicholson leaned into the mic, looked at Keaton and said, "you were Bruce Wayne. And you were Batman, right?" (something along those lines) He then clapped his hands, put his hand out showing Keaton to the audience, and took a seat and left Keaton to accept the award.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #720
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

one thing that needs to be remembered too...Batman completely changed the Hollywood machine's view of comic book movies....Superman,and it's 1st sequel,were good movies,and made money,but for some reason no other studios were willing to commit to comic-based movies other than a failed attempt to bring Spider-Man to the screen.... by Superman III and IV, the engine had run out of steam,and became a joke...

Batman changed all that,by being a good serious comic adaption that made MASSIVE bank! and suddenly the floodgates opened! and every studio was looking to develop a comic-based move on their own...The Shadow,The Phantom,Tank Girl,Judge Dredd, Barb Wire,Dick Tracy,Fantastic Four,Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,Captain America,The Rocketeer,The Mask,Spawn,Blade,Steel,Men in Black... all these movies wouldn't have come out if studios weren't trying to make "The Next Batman"....

hell,WB even attempted to restart Superman with a more quirky,dark,and Burton-esque tone by hiring the man himself!! so it's influence was felt far and wide,well beyond the summer of 1989...

Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #721
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
one thing that needs to be remembered too...Batman completely changed the Hollywood machine's view of comic book movies....Superman,and it's 1st sequel,were good movies,and made money,but for some reason no other studios were willing to commit to comic-based movies other than a failed attempt to bring Spider-Man to the screen.... by Superman III and IV, the engine had run out of steam,and became a joke...

Batman changed all that,by being a good serious comic adaption that made MASSIVE bank! and suddenly the floodgates opened! and every studio was looking to develop a comic-based move on their own...The Shadow,The Phantom,Tank Girl,Judge Dredd, Barb Wire,Dick Tracy,Fantastic Four,Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,Captain America,The Rocketeer,The Mask,Spawn,Blade,Steel,Men in Black... all these movies wouldn't have come out if studios weren't trying to make "The Next Batman"....

hell,WB even attempted to restart Superman with a more quirky,dark,and Burton-esque tone by hiring the man himself!! so it's influence was felt far and wide,well beyond the summer of 1989...

I agree, B89 had big impact on the genre. Since that day and forever.

But just wait untill a member here reads this. He just can't stand someone could say B89 was the one and not STM.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #722
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!

i LOVE the sh#t out of STM,and i grew up on the Reeve films...

but,let's be honest here....how many comic movies did we actually get from 1978- 1987?

Superman,Superman II,Superman III, Superman IV, Supergirl.

for whatever reason,the success of the first few Superman films did NOT translate into studio interest in developing other comic book properties into feature films...closest we got was Cannon's aborted Spider-Man film...

like i said,once Batman 1989 hit,there wasn't a year that went by without at least 1 big-budget comic adaption by a major studio....

Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #723
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
i LOVE the sh#t out of STM,and i grew up on the Reeve films...

but,let's be honest here....how many comic movies did we actually get from 1978- 1987?

Superman,Superman II,Superman III, Superman IV, Supergirl.

for whatever reason,the success of the first few Superman films did NOT translate into studio interest in developing other comic book properties into feature films...closest we got was Cannon's aborted Spider-Man film...

like i said,once Batman 1989 hit,there wasn't a year that went by without at least 1 big-budget comic adaption by a major studio....
Yeah it was a game changer and thankfully we wouldn't have the movies we are enjoying now without it. I honestly remember the only other comic based movies that played on TV before this Batman hit when I was a kid were the ones you mentioned plus the Conan movies, Flash Gordon, Howard The Duck and the Swamp Thing movies.

Then all of a sudden we got Dick Tracy, The Rocketeer, The Crow and so on and to this very day we don't go long without seeing comic book adaptations. This movie even influenced Universal to fund Raimi's Darkman that's how awesome it's impact is.

Up until TDK it was the highest grossing Batman ($493 million in today's dollars domestically alone). The movie was a monster and made people believe in comic books being viable source materials all over again. It showed that STM was not a fluke to movie execs. It's impact is great for that reason alone most definitely.

Actually when you look at the all time box office domestic grosses adjusted for inflation it's amazing how WB in all it's spots has Batman movies take up 4 of the spots in the top 25 http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adj...yr=2012&p=.htm that's not even factoring world wide intakes

This is why they'll never stop making Batman movies. Thank You Tim Burton.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men

Last edited by Cain; 04-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #724
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWBAT69 View Post
Does anyone remember watching this?

After Mathau stepped aside and Jack and Keaton were standing there. Nicholson leaned into the mic, looked at Keaton and said, "you were Bruce Wayne. And you were Batman, right?" (something along those lines) He then clapped his hands, put his hand out showing Keaton to the audience, and took a seat and left Keaton to accept the award.
I was too young to even notice award shows the time this aired. But if Nicholson did what you said he did. He is a true gentleman and not an egomaniacal jerk like most celebrities tend to be. And proves why Nicholson will always be a legend among actors and celebrities.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #725
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men

Last edited by Cain; 04-10-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Closed Thread