Default Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 4

Ok I see the pic now. Pretty much.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #627
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
Ha He really did. I dug it. He's my favorite Superman villain and this is my favorite interpretation of him yet. Dude was vicious.
Indeed as he was more vicious than the Parasite from Superman: TAS. Young Justice is the most realistic superhero cartoon series ever.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #628
Scourge2099
Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelc22 View Post
So, I take it Roy's gone from the team now? He said he only joined to find out who the mole is and seems to conclude that there isn't one. Plus, doesn't the final two episodes supposedly take place on the last day or two of December? GA did say that Roy would be part of the League by the end of the year and the show still has to introduce Rocket. She's going to be walking into an awkward situation, especially if she shows up next week with all the secrets being revealed.
There's still the members who didn't go on the mission to consider. Wally , Zatanna and Aqualad.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #629
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
Indeed as he was more vicious than the Parasite from Superman: TAS. Young Justice is the most realistic superhero cartoon series ever.
That's......not hard. It would be more accurate to say it explores more of the ramifications of a superhero universe than other series than play anything realistically, though even so it still has a lot of villainous schemes so silly and convoluted they belong in BTBTB.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 AM   #630
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Did Superboy use the whole box of Shield Slappers this Episode? Getting a little addicted, isn't he?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #631
FinalAvalanche
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Did Superboy use the whole box of Shield Slappers this Episode? Getting a little addicted, isn't he?
Speaking of that, any idea if the shields recharge when they're in their case? Or if the shields can only be used once and Superboy would eventually run-out and have to go to Lex for more?

Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #632
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Young Justice Toyline cancelled:

Quote:
Unfortunately, as you've probably noticed at Target, Young Justice didn't work out well at retail and will be going away. We're disappointed, but that's how it can turn out. That doesn't mean you might not see more one day on Matty."
http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/1241060157

This isn't good news for the potential of a third season... the toys are simply NOT selling. So merchandise will certainly not save this show.

Now I refuse to completetly panic. The ratings have supposedly gone up with consistent episodes and a regular advertised timeslot. Not to mention the comic spin-off always seem to have steady sales.

It's still unforuntate and WB/CN will most definitely pay attention to this.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #633
Savage
Earth Rocker

Well did Batman: The Brave and The Bold and Justice League sell well? Cartoon Network shows tend to do okay. I can't think of many programs on there that have short runs. I have faith that Young Justice will at least make it through a 3rd season. Even Generator Rex did.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 04-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #634
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

The Justice League/Unlimited toy line is only coming to an end this year... 6 years after the show went off the air. Thats how successful it was.

And Batman: The Brave and the Bold sold well enough. But then Batman toys always sell at a steady pace.

Alan Burnett once said that if you want your fav show to continue go out and buy a TON of action figures for your family and friends.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #635
FinalAvalanche
Side-Kick

Apparently YJ isn't the only DC toy-line of Mattel's that's cancelled. DC All-Stars, Legacy, and JLU are all cancelled as well. Some figures that had already been produced from these cancelled lines (including YJ) may be available at Mattycollector at some point though.

In fact the only DC figures that Mattel is supposed to have for retail in 2012 are from The Dark Knight Rises and Batman Power Attack.

And there are currently no plans for a Green Lantern: The Animated Series toy-line.

A new line of DC figures isn't supposed to be released until 2013.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/f...23885&start=15

Last edited by FinalAvalanche; 04-08-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #636
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I'm not surprised there is no retailer interest in Green Lantern:TAS after the failure of the movie.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #637
Savage
Earth Rocker

Wow. This sounds like something bigger than just Young Justice's toys not selling well. This sounds almost like DC is getting ready to pack up shop and go to another company. That or Mattel is just kicking them out altogether.

I'm surprised the Justice League toys sold well but then again I'm surprised there are still kids out there that play with toys and aren't calling me racial slurs on Xbox live.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #638
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

That sucks for toylines. But maybe dc is planning to move from mattel. And really so what if gl the film lew. The tv show is totally different.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #639
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
That sucks for toylines. But maybe dc is planning to move from mattel. And really so what if gl the film lew. The tv show is totally different.
And it could potentially suck for the show. It all adds up and... Huh?

Oh and by the way... Retail cancelled the line, not Mattel. Thats why they still have some hope for future figures. Places like Walmart basically said, 'No, Thanks' to Young Justice as they can shift them off the shelves.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Last edited by Pfeiffer-Pfan; 04-08-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #640
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I get that I do, I just trying to say they are two different products one should kill the chance of another success.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #641
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Guilty by association.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #642
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Which is a terrible way to think on things I say. Sure the film bombed and was a mess. But the toon seems fine so far.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #643
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Which is a terrible way to think on things I say. Sure the film bombed and was a mess. But the toon seems fine so far.
Terrible for the fans... highly practical and common for the business heads behind the scenes.

They will be looking at GL:TAS very closely.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #644
vantheman77
Side-Kick

If the Young Justice figures are on clearance, then I might get those. I also heard Invasion will be 20 episodes instead of 10.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #645
Drz
Real Hero

Invasion was always 20 episodes to my understanding.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #646
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

I'm not sure if DC is going through something with MATTEL or not, but the YJ toys not selling is a very large hurdle for a third season. The fact that the merchandise and DVD's of "TSSM" didn't sell well didn't exactly help it. However, action figures have very much shifted to being mostly supported by a collector market than by kids because due to technology kids - boys especially - outgrow action figures younger than they used to in the 80's or 90's. Back when I was a kid, an 11-12 year old who still played with action figures wasn't too unusual; nowadays people would assume he's either very poor or developmentally challenged.

REVIEW SEGMENT:

With the 24th episode of "YOUNG JUSTICE"'s freshman season, the theme of focus episodes on a single member continues. "PERFORMANCE" casts the spotlight on Robin, who to a degree has been neglected compared to some of the other founding cast (such as Superboy, Miss Martian, and even Kid-Flash). This is forgivable to me since Robin is not only the character most fans are overly familiar with, but the one who has appeared most often in prior DC animated TV projects; all the way back to "BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES" that sparked it all in 1992. Because Batman gets so many animated projects, Robin is often eventually attached by proxy; the lone exception was "TEEN TITANS" which had Robin and no Batman, and Robin was arguably the star for that show's first season and many episodes after. Regardless of all that, Robin is still a member of this show and is thus due some focus, and this episode provides a lot of it without having him hog and smother the rest of the cast. Only Aqualad and Zatanna are entirely absent from this affair. This is another episode written by Jon Weisman and as such it naturally is a suspenseful and thrilling affair.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Robin leads a squad into Europe to investigate the international Haley's Circus - the same circus where he once performed with his family, the "Flying Graysons". They go undercover as the "Danger Family", complete with alternate costumes and names. While Robin initially sought to bring Miss Martian, Superboy, and Artemis as his team, Red Arrow INSISTS on coming along to monitor his "traitor" suspects - of whom are all present. Robin doesn't seem to agree with Roy but humors him and allows him to come along. Robin claims several times that this is naturally a top secret mission from Batman to either confirm or clear the Haley Circus in hi-tech robberies across Europe that coincide with their performance schedule, but as the episode progresses we learn there is more than meets the eye and the investigation is a more personal affair for Robin. Jack Haley (voiced by Stephen Root, best known as Bill from "KING OF THE HILL") remains the ringmaster of the circus, who is under investigation by King Faraday, voiced by Clancy Brown, for the robberies. Brown is naturally a familiar voice in DC Animation and I must say out of habit when his character appeared, I immediately thought, "Is that Lex Luthor in disguise?" before getting my marbles together. Instead Weisman and company have repeated a feat from "TSSM" - cast Brown as a white hat for once. While he makes for great villains (from Luthor to Rhino to even Mr. Sinister on "W&TXM"), he can sometimes get typecast so it is interesting to see him voice a role like Capt. George Stacy on "TSSM" or the well known agent Faraday here. Not long after the "Danger" troupe joins the circus, Robin comes down with a "flu" which is going around and there's yet another robbery. Can the Boy Wonder tie it all together? Naturally, but it's in the execution that does it.

Like most of the great episodes, the other characters all have plenty to do to further their own serial subplots. Superboy not only still has his "patches" from "AGENDAS", but seems to have become addicted to them like a drug. It actually would be amusing to see Bane make a repeat appearance if only to highlight the similarity. While it is easy to examine this as being a bad thing, let the record show that Superboy using them to enhance and regain his powers at various intervals actually does save the mission a few times - which highlights Luthor's point about shades of gray. Personally I am glad that Aqualad hasn't been saddled with the typical drug story most team shows do eventually. Artemis and Red Arrow are coming right from "INSECURITY", with Roy basically considering everyone who isn't someone he knows personally as a potential mole - and in fairness, Artemis seeming to trick him last episode did the rest of the cast no favors in this regard. There was some debate before this episode aired as to who would take point - Roy or Robin - and I noted one advantage to Robin's favor is that the rest of his team trusts him, while they have good reason to not care for Roy much. This dynamic comes into play later on in the episode when some action takes place on a train - which is classic suspense fare from a few Hitchcock and Bond films. Even without "the patches" making Conner more aggressive (he even hesitates to save Megan from a fire due to wishing to continue a fight), he along with Megan and Artemis clearly dislike Roy's endless accusations and attitude around them - which is fair from their point of view. A few episodes seem to have a dialogue theme which is repeated endlessly; this episode was brought to you by the lines "I'll manage" and "Keep an open mind".

So, who is the villain of the piece? It had me guessing until the third act, but I have to admit, the episode clues you in that it's from Superman's rogues gallery with an homage to TITANO (one of his old enemies) in one of the posters on the walls of Haley's Circus. Of course Titano in the comics was a giant gorilla and not an elephant, but the homage was cute. The baddie is none other than Parasite, voiced by Adam Baldwin and sporting probably the creepiest character design I've seen him with. He does look very much like Purple Swamp-Thing, but that isn't a bad thing. I may as well get in my rant now - I have long thought Parasite has long been a neglected villain in Superman's rogues gallery. While we see Luthor, Metallo, and Zod (or other Phantom Zone criminals) endlessly in alternate media, Parasite is often ignored despite having a lot of interesting strengths. He's not only a physical challenge to Superman and looks visually different, but because he absorbs KNOWLEDGE in addition to power, he can become a chilling personal villain if written well. Decently handled, he could easily become Superman's Venom (or Green Goblin for older fans), if that makes sense. Sure, I imagine someone would say a purple guy with no nose would look silly in live action, but Abe Sapien looked great in "HELLBOY" with good costuming and make-up effects and he was a good guy. Wouldn't it be great to see a villain who could challenge Superman not only physically, but emotionally with the risk of actually harming everyone he loves? Wouldn't that jazz people up more than Lex Luthor or Zod for the trillionth ****ing time, or are audiences really as shallow as executives think and just want to see the same things endlessly until they die? I digress. At any rate, while Parasite doesn't seem to absorb knowledge in this incarnation - he didn't learn that "Dan Danger" was Robin/Dick Grayson after draining him - he still manages to be a very creepy villain. His caper - absorbing skills and training from circus performers to steal components for Intergang - is perfectly sound and naturally takes a more dramatic turn once he drains "Dawn Danger" and gains powers similar to Martian Manhunter. It all seems hopeless once he gains not only those powers, but Superboy's as well, although the kids manage to outwit him in due course in the finale. Given that Intergang apparently wanted technology to destroy cities with black holes, this suggests that their plot with Desaad from "DISORDERED" still continues in some form - after all, Queen Bee's thugs had those weapons from Apokolips in "IMAGE", right? I did like how there wasn't any energy or much of a sound effect when Parasite did his thing; the audience is expected to figure it out by his name and dialogue. I can say the biggest difference between this show and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV. The solution is similar to how Amazo was beaten in Act 2 in "TABULA RASA" on "JUSTICE LEAGUE", but it still is effective - Parasite absorbs weaknesses as well as strengths, such as a Martian vulnerability to fire.

There were definitely a lot of good smaller moments mixed into the plot. Wally only has a cameo appearance, but it's much better than his "hi/bye" in "AGENDAS". Wally calls Robin on the fact that he lied about the source of the mission and warns him of the risk of having too much of a personal stake. It also makes good use of the fact that Wally is the only one Robin has trusted with his identity without playing it for laughs, like "IMAGE" did. I still am surprised when this show uses Wally in a serious manner and it doesn't seem too off putting; I guess in "COLDHEARTED" while he may have been all about giving someone a heart, he gained a brain in the process. Roy's mistrust of the rest of the team also plays out in the end, with him seeming to accept them after experiencing a full fight with them. It seems odd that he claims he'd "never seen them in the thick of it" when he shared a battle with Artemis last week, but I suppose this was different, and involved more than just her. Naturally, his claim that "there IS no mole" only affirms to me that there is - especially since "The Light" clearly acted like there was in "INFILTRATOR", and unless they are fans of kabuki theater they would not act out a lie as if it were real if it wasn't. So, if it isn't Aqualad, then I have no clue who it is. Batman? Naturally, the bit at the end with Jack Haley figuring out that "Dan Danger" was Dick Grayson was a moment I'd anticipated by about 2 minutes in, but that still didn't negate how effective it was. It's execution, often not surprises, which are key in narratives. I was surprised with Artemis to a degree; she had every reason to be all in Roy's face like Conner was, but instead she chose a more subtle track to get through to him, which worked. While she may have gotten Roy to trust her without divulging her secret, the question is if she can wipe the slate clean from "INSECURITY" in Wally's eyes without doing so. At least in that regard, Wally doesn't usually hold grudges as long as Roy does.

There are now two episodes left in the season; "USUAL SUSPECTS" and "AULD ACQUAINTANCE". Most if not all of the secrets the cast have left will be revealed then, with Rocket seemingly joining the team next week. I naturally expect the season finale to be big and over the top, but it will naturally have some good character beats to look forward to here. But that's for the next fortnight. This week, "PERFORMANCE" was another solid episode about Robin and the rest of the cast, with a good use of a villain as well as scenery. Given how many origin episodes of Robin there were, I was glad this episode managed to avoid repeating similar territory and still hit all its beats well. Stumbles at the start of a season are forgivable if things pick up down the stretch, and it is good to see "YJ" doing that. A season finale, however, often counts for at least half the grade of most seasons, so it will remain to be seen how well that stacks up to expectations.

Last edited by Dread; 04-08-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #647
nygma619
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
I'm not sure if DC is going through something with MATTEL or not, but the YJ toys not selling is a very large hurdle for a third season.
Green Lantern: TAS doesn't even have a toyline, because of a lack of faith in it from higher ups after it's blockbuster flop. So not all shows are judged by it's toyline. Hell Static Shock never even had a toy line that I know of.

Quote:
The fact that the merchandise and DVD's of "TSSM" didn't sell well didn't exactly help it.
Actually the toy line sold pretty well. It's the soccer mom dvd's that didn't sell well.

Quote:
Brown is naturally a familiar voice in DC Animation and I must say out of habit when his character appeared, I immediately thought, "Is that Lex Luthor in disguise?" before getting my marbles together. Instead Weisman and company have repeated a feat from "TSSM" - cast Brown as a white hat for once. While he makes for great villains (from Luthor to Rhino to even Mr. Sinister on "W&TXM"), he can sometimes get typecast so it is interesting to see him voice a role like Capt. George Stacy on "TSSM" or the well known agent Faraday here.
I loved Clancy Brown's voice for George Stacy on that show, he made him come across as a warm and loving father to Gwen; and his booming voice gave him the presence of a badass cop you wouldn't want to **** around with. I'm just sad we never got the episode that would've eventually featured his demise. Because they were doing a hell of a job with the start of that buildup in season 2.

Quote:
A few episodes seem to have a dialogue theme which is repeated endlessly; this episode was brought to you by the lines "I'll manage" and "Keep an open mind".
To be fair, you could say that about other shows too. Not just Young Justice.

Quote:
I may as well get in my rant now - I have long thought Parasite has long been a neglected villain in Superman's rogues gallery. While we see Luthor, Metallo, and Zod (or other Phantom Zone criminals) endlessly in alternate media, Parasite is often ignored despite having a lot of interesting strengths. He's not only a physical challenge to Superman and looks visually different, but because he absorbs KNOWLEDGE in addition to power, he can become a chilling personal villain if written well. Decently handled, he could easily become Superman's Venom (or Green Goblin for older fans), if that makes sense. Sure, I imagine someone would say a purple guy with no nose would look silly in live action, but Abe Sapien looked great in "HELLBOY" with good costuming and make-up effects and he was a good guy. Wouldn't it be great to see a villain who could challenge Superman not only physically, but emotionally with the risk of actually harming everyone he loves? Wouldn't that jazz people up more than Lex Luthor or Zod for the trillionth ****ing time, or are audiences really as shallow as executives think and just want to see the same things endlessly until they die? I digress.
I completely agree with ALL of this and I'm also sad that they've never really figured out what to do with someone of his talents.

Quote:
Wally calls Robin on the fact that he lied about the source of the mission and warns him of the risk of having too much of a personal stake. It also makes good use of the fact that Wally is the only one Robin has trusted with his identity without playing it for laughs, like "IMAGE" did. I still am surprised when this show uses Wally in a serious manner and it doesn't seem too off putting; I guess in "COLDHEARTED" while he may have been all about giving someone a heart, he gained a brain in the process.
Eh, I always knew Wally had it in him. But then again I'm biased. I think the thing Wally gained the most from Coldhearted was realizing how precious life is, when he thought the girl died because of his actions. Naturally this caused him to stop running away from his feelings for Artemis as we saw in Insec..... Oh wait, this isn't the Ultimate Spider-Man thread, spelling things out for this show is unnecessary.
(BTW when are you going to tear it's latest episode apart? I'm looking forward to that.)

Personally I'd like to see a season 2 episode based around Dick and Wally's friendship.

Quote:
Roy's mistrust of the rest of the team also plays out in the end, with him seeming to accept them after experiencing a full fight with them. It seems odd that he claims he'd "never seen them in the thick of it" when he shared a battle with Artemis last week, but I suppose this was different, and involved more than just her.
I think this episode was the best development Roy's had all season, sure he was gruff and angry as usual, but he showed a little more range, and I appreciated that. Too bad his acceptance has come at a point where it seems like he'll be leaving for The League soon.

Quote:
Naturally, his claim that "there IS no mole" only affirms to me that there is - especially since "The Light" clearly acted like there was in "INFILTRATOR", and unless they are fans of kabuki theater they would not act out a lie as if it were real if it wasn't. So, if it isn't Aqualad, then I have no clue who it is. Batman?
I'm going with Aqualad, and someone else brought up the theory of him being planted by Ocean Master to gain Aquaman's acceptance.

Quote:
While she may have gotten Roy to trust her without divulging her secret, the question is if she can wipe the slate clean from "INSECURITY" in Wally's eyes without doing so. At least in that regard, Wally doesn't usually hold grudges as long as Roy does.
If next weeks synopsis is any indication, she's not going to get the chance. And to be honest, I think it's for the best. If those two are EVER going to have a chance at anything than Wally needs to know where she really comes from. Its the only way they'll ever be able to move forward. Not to mention Wally (and the rest of the team for that matter) deserves to know. And if I know Wally West (specifically THIS version of the character) he'll have an epiphany and realize she was insecure, but not selfish. And I have every reason to believe that Wally will accept where Artemis comes from, at least I have faith in Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti that they would believe that THAT is what Wally would do.

I think this version of Robin and his voice actor Jesse McCartney also deserve a bit of praise. Before the show started if you had told me that Jesse McCartney would've been my favorite Robin voice of the lot, I would've first laughed at you and then asked you to pass whatever your smoking. Okay that sounds mean towards Jesse, but I just don't think many people outside of Greg Weisman and/or Jamie Thompson would've casted him for anything he would've brought to the role. So kudos to Jesse McCartney for doing like Leonardo Dicaprio, and proving that just because society labels you as a heartthrob, doesn't mean there aren't any acting chops beneath it all.
Not to mention that this version of Robin has also got the best things that came from the Robins of the past. He's got the youthful exuberance of The Batman's version of him, and that badass killer instinct (of course I'd expect nothing less when your trained by motherf'n Batman) of the Teen Titans version without being overpowering.

Next week starting with Usual Suspects, the s*** officially begins to hit the fan.

Last edited by nygma619; 04-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #648
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 4

In related news and notes, CBR TV had an interview with Khary Payton, the voice of Kaldur/Aqualad on "YOUNG JUSTICE" (although best known as Cyborg on "TEEN TITANS", his first professional VA gig which he is reprising for the DC Nation shorts) about his work. No spoilers, but it was interesting hearing him discuss how he went into crafting the voice he uses for Kaldur. Payton notes Data from "ST:TNG" as an inspiration because he saw Kaldur as not only a focused and responsible being, but one who had to get used to the English language as well as how things were done on the surface.

http://video.comicbookresources.com/...ustice-powers/

Naturally, Greg Weisman and company keep him guessing when he reads scripts, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygma619 View Post
Green Lantern: TAS doesn't even have a toyline, because of a lack of faith in it from higher ups after it's blockbuster flop. So not all shows are judged by it's toyline. Hell Static Shock never even had a toy line that I know of.
Both true points. But there are some caveats. Geoff Johns has been promoted at DC Entertainment and Green Lantern is one of his babies, so I think to a degree that has some sway. And while "STATIC SHOCK" did last 4 seasons on network TV, won an Emmy and had good syndication ratings on CN initially, WB has seemed to always treat the property poorly. The show to date has no DVD plans, and it's few "soccer mom" releases are long out of print. Dwayne McDuffie, the show's champion as well as one of producer Bruce Timm's key talents, is now deceased. And the landscape of TV networks as well as the economy have changed drastically since 2004, when "STATIC SHOCK" ended. So while you are correct that both show haven't needed a toy line to succeed, I think both benefited from certain things which may not be in play for "Young Justice" sadly.

Quote:
Actually the toy line sold pretty well. It's the soccer mom dvd's that didn't sell well.
Fair enough. Naturally, the DVD releases were Sony's doing, which is a different company (even if they imitate the errors in DVD releases as other companies do). There was a Season 1 set for "TSSM", but sadly never a set for Season 2. I waited patiently for years for it before finally buckling and buying the soccer mom discs for Season 2 before Sony decided to take it out of print as sometimes happens.

Quote:
I loved Clancy Brown's voice for George Stacy on that show, he made him come across as a warm and loving father to Gwen; and his booming voice gave him the presence of a badass cop you wouldn't want to **** around with. I'm just sad we never got the episode that would've eventually featured his demise. Because they were doing a hell of a job with the start of that buildup in season 2.
I recall some statements that Greg Weisman said in both text interviews and in podcasts that went to the effect of that certain characters were known by current fans for their deaths and little else, and he didn't want to limit them to such things. Lord knows every other episode it seemed, people were wondering when poor Gwen would get it. While George Stacy's death happened far sooner in the comics - and at the tentacles of Dr. Octopus, a villain Weisman clearly was fond of - I liked to think of him existing under similar rules. I naturally enjoyed the subtle bit where it seems clear that Capt. Stacy has figured out who Spider-Man is, but keeps it ambiguous for plausible deniability purposes as well as to Parker's benefit.

Boy, what a digression. My point under that was I really did enjoy Clancy Brown's Capt. Stacy so I was pleased when he was cast as another cop/agent figure in "YJ", the always enjoyable King Faraday. Less to do for now, but one never knows in subsequent episodes. "The team" could use a contact in "non-caped" law enforcement after all. Naturally it could be good for "the team" to develop some contacts and allies through their own actions and not simply rely on the League or their allies at all times. That could come into play in Season 2.

Quote:
To be fair, you could say that about other shows too. Not just Young Justice.
I know. I was more having fun with it to make a "SESAME STREET" reference than criticizing it.

Quote:
I completely agree with ALL of this and I'm also sad that they've never really figured out what to do with someone of his talents.
Glad someone is with me on the ol' Parasite rant. While "PERFORMANCE" didn't run with the idea that he absorbs knowledge in addition to skills/powers (although the two are related), it otherwise did sort of show a sample of how creepy and challenging he could be as an enemy. I see a lot of potential with him in the Superman franchise that isn't tapped, especially in alternate mediums as I stated before. Audiences don't know him? Well, you think most mainstream audiences knew who Obidiah Stane was, yet "IRON MAN" grossed a gazillion dollars with him as the villain? Sure, A-list casting helped in that regard, but that also proves the point that an audience can accept any villain so long as he/she is written, cast, and directed well.

His design here by Phil B. was also good; shows that just because someone is purple they can't be creepy. It's all about the shades and details.

Quote:
Eh, I always knew Wally had it in him. But then again I'm biased. I think the thing Wally gained the most from Coldhearted was realizing how precious life is, when he thought the girl died because of his actions. Naturally this caused him to stop running away from his feelings for Artemis as we saw in Insec..... Oh wait, this isn't the Ultimate Spider-Man thread, spelling things out for this show is unnecessary.
(BTW when are you going to tear it's latest episode apart? I'm looking forward to that.)

Personally I'd like to see a season 2 episode based around Dick and Wally's friendship.
I haven't seen "USM" Episode 3 yet, so be patient.

I tend to like Wally in prior animated appearances although I was often annoyed that he would fit into certain formula as the comic relief more often than not. Mix that in when you have top talents like Bruce Timm and Dwayne McDuffie express frustration with handling his powers (as if Superman were so easy in that regard) and he can be a character that to me has been both amusing and frustrating to watch. Often you have to wade through a lot of bad or mediocre appearances before you have a "DIVIDED WE FALL" moment. I still doubt that moment for the Flash will ever be matched or topped. Although I suppose it is all a matter of scale and execution. There was a moment in one of Jeff Parker's first THUNDERBOLTS arcs in which Quicksilver takes on Mister X which would look lovely in animation and could be adapted for a Flash at some point.

Another digression, I am good for 'em. At any rate, the experience with saving Queen Perdita in "COLDHEARTED" likely caught Wally a lesson on priorities. It was his birthday and as soon as he left the house nothing went how he wanted, but in the end those sort of trivial desires aren't the big picture. While he is a superhero and saves lives by design, having someone's life in your hands (or strapped to one's back) is a tremendous responsibility which was brought down to a scale which is easy to appreciate. Saving a country or the world or a city is a big thing to wrap oneself around; saving one person (a kid, even) with a delivery of an organ is much simpler and easier to understand. Life is short, especially to someone who moves at super-speed; may as well make the most of it. Which is a totally more optimistic vibe than about half the team operates under with their secrets and lies.

Still, having a big moment in a focus episode is one thing; I am curious what if any role Wally will play in the season finale or whatever happens next season. An episode focusing on his friendship with Grayson could be interesting - maybe a double date with Zatanna and Artemis? The episode almost writes itself, doesn't it?

Quote:
I think this episode was the best development Roy's had all season, sure he was gruff and angry as usual, but he showed a little more range, and I appreciated that. Too bad his acceptance has come at a point where it seems like he'll be leaving for The League soon.
That is true; Roy did unclench a little. There were moments where his vocal tone shifted from furious to simply annoyed. Kidding, but I am with you on that. However, I don't miss Roy much when he moves upstairs. Hawkeye is the only hot-head archer I can tolerate, and Roy's nowhere near as much fun.

Quote:
I'm going with Aqualad, and someone else brought up the theory of him being planted by Ocean Master to gain Aquaman's acceptance.
The biggest problem is that if Aqualad was the mole, then his entire battle against Black Manta to save Starro in "DOWNTIME" was pointless and counter-productive. Was it really worth almost destroying a key artifact and having to plan ANOTHER heist to secure a piece of it simply to avoid having Garth or Aquaman get in a clue? Wouldn't it have been easier to simply have Kaldur make sure Black Manta stole it with little fuss if he was in on everything? I've had my problems with how "The Light" sometimes does things, but they've rarely been that jaw droppingly counter productive.

I would still be irritated if the show goes that route with Aqualad regardless. There are better ways to inject some more personality, focus, or nuance into the character than making him evil and fulfilling one of fiction's most annoying and outdated tropes.

Quote:
If next weeks synopsis is any indication, she's not going to get the chance. And to be honest, I think it's for the best. If those two are EVER going to have a chance at anything than Wally needs to know where she really comes from. Its the only way they'll ever be able to move forward. Not to mention Wally (and the rest of the team for that matter) deserves to know. And if I know Wally West (specifically THIS version of the character) he'll have an epiphany and realize she was insecure, but not selfish. And I have every reason to believe that Wally will accept where Artemis comes from, at least I have faith in Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti that they would believe that THAT is what Wally would do.

I think this version of Robin and his voice actor Jesse McCartney also deserve a bit of praise. Before the show started if you had told me that Jesse McCartney would've been my favorite Robin voice of the lot, I would've first laughed at you and then asked you to pass whatever your smoking. Okay that sounds mean towards Jesse, but I just don't think many people outside of Greg Weisman and/or Jamie Thompson would've casted him for anything he would've brought to the role. So kudos to Jesse McCartney for doing like Leonardo Dicaprio, and proving that just because society labels you as a heartthrob, doesn't mean there aren't any acting chops beneath it all.
Not to mention that this version of Robin has also got the best things that came from the Robins of the past. He's got the youthful exuberance of The Batman's version of him, and that badass killer instinct (of course I'd expect nothing less when your trained by motherf'n Batman) of the Teen Titans version without being overpowering.

Next week starting with Usual Suspects, the s*** officially begins to hit the fan.
Greg Weisman productions almost never have any slip ups in terms of casting. Yes, I know someone will bring up Brent Spiner's Joker, but considering how many times I see the Joker in animation, I can tolerate one honest "swing and miss" attempt at something new versus another Mark Hamill imitator. Something tells me that when Drake Bell was cast as Spidey, Jeph Loeb wanted to imitate some of the success Jesse McCartney has had here and in other roles, but it didn't wash. I wouldn't say right now he's my favorite of all of Robin's VA's in recent memory, but he does do a solid job. Considering how overpowering Robin was in "TEEN TITANS", I am glad that he's stepped back a little to allow other characters to flourish. With almost any DC teen team, Robin is sort of "the Wolverine" - the character mainstream fans know best and who HAS to always be there for merchandise purposes. That doesn't mean sideline him, but it also doesn't mean make him a showboat. Thankfully, "YJ" has hit that middle ground. His verbal quirk was annoying at times, but later episodes haven't spammed it as much, so it's not a problem. In contrast, "Hel-LO Megan!" almost never goes for long. But, catchphrases are another of those common things in TV shows, bub, Cowabunga, Dyn-o-mite! It's clobberin' time! The vibe I get from this show's Robin is that while he does have that bad-ass potential, he doesn't want to be all grim and gritty - he even admitted it out loud - which is a key difference. Even in "PERFORMANCE", you can tell that Grayson clearly enjoyed his time as a circus performer and doesn't really fight Jack Haley much when he asks for one more farewell performance on the trapeze. You rarely see Batman enjoy much of anything, in contrast. Despite the tragic origin and the bad-ass training program, Robin usually wants to be upbeat or at least have more fun than Batman while still being efficient. That's probably why he's friends with Wally.

At any rate, secrets on team shows are no fun if they're not revealed at the least convenient time, so the next two episodes will be very engaging in that regard. I do wonder about the wisdom of introducing a new character to the team during that time; Zatanna is still new and could serve as a POV character in contrast same as Rocket may. On the other hand, Rocket's never been animated before and I'm all for new blood on TV. It'll probably work out. Part of me wonders if "The Light" will use those secrets as a wild card to try to get "the team" to defeat themselves at a critical moment, but it backfires on them; gets them to see how alike they are and come together more. "Congratulations, you proved that we're not the Justice League, and maybe we'll never be. That's just fine with us. We're something new, and you're going down", basically.

As you pointed out a few times, if Wally were seriously willing to look past an admission of probable assassination orders, I wonder how long Artemis' revelation would faze him. The show could actually make a 180 turn in that regard and reveal Wally suspected something was up about Artemis' family since "BEREFT" and just waited until she was willing to divulge further. After all, Wally does give Artemis a chance to reveal it in "INSECURITY"; whether or not it was deliberate is unknown for now. If Artemis' assumption in "BEREFT" after being zapped with a 6 month amnesia beam was that her father had sent her on an assassination mission, clearly her family life is a bit messed up. In some comics/shows, when the comic relief actually has a brain, they sometimes play dumb a bit to surprise their enemies. Villains who assumed Spider-Man was all webbing and dumb jokes often got a surprise. I'm not saying the show WILL go that route with Wally...but it could. At any rate, neither Wally or Artemis or really any of "the team" can really accept and grow together until they know more about each other. Which is why the revelation is the sort of thing that will make them stronger, if it doesn't kill them.

Last edited by Dread; 04-09-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #649
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

A good episode, Superboy is just willing to use that shields just to have powers like Superman, and it looks like he is getting addicted.

I hope that Artemis does not turn out to be a mole, as that would be very obvious route to go.

*\S/T*
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #650
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalAvalanche View Post
Speaking of that, any idea if the shields recharge when they're in their case? Or if the shields can only be used once and Superboy would eventually run-out and have to go to Lex for more?
Yeah, I was wondering about this one too. If the box generates new shields for him or something. Because he went through those things like it was nothing.

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
Closed Thread