Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #51
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official "Get Marvel's Rights Back!" Thread

From Variety:
Fox puts superheroes on parade - Studio banks on tentpole reboots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Graser & Rachel Abrams
Outside of Disney, no studio can boast more superhero properties based on Marvel's comicbook characters than 20th Century Fox. But this week's release of "X-Men: First Class" signals just how the studio plans to breathe new life not just into the franchise's mutants, but its entire lineup of crimefighters.

It's not as if Fox's "X-Men" franchise had run out of steam. Although Brett Ratner's treatment of the series' beloved characters received some drubbing from fanboys, the third installment, "X-Men: The Last Stand," earned an impressive $459 million at the worldwide box office in 2006, the franchise's biggest haul to date.

A fourth and fifth installment are in development. But until then, Fox has a potential new franchise featuring a younger set of mutants to play with on the bigscreen.

While the film -- budgeted at $135 million after rebates -- could easily be considered a reboot for a property which hasn't had a new sequel in five years, it would be more accurately described as a prequel.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
That's because "X-Men: First Class" goes back to the beginning, introducing how Charles Xavier becomes Professor X, recruits a young group of mutants and establishes a friendship with his future foe Erik Lehnsherr, better known as the metal-manipulating villain Magneto, while making clever references to future occurrences that appeared in the previous pics.

Under the helm of Matthew Vaughn, the pic anchors the film around the Cuban Missile Crisis in the groovy 1960s with James Bond-style flair, and easily sets the stage for sequels to take place during historical hotspots in other decades.

"First Class" marks a return to "X-Men" for Vaughn ("Kick-Ass"), who had been tapped to direct "Last Stand" but had to leave the project for family reasons.

The wait seems to have been worth it. His take has elicited raves from reviewers and fans and generated the kind of tracking that should pave the road for a sequel.

Fox is hoping that kind of reaction will rub off on its other superhero films.

It's already apparent that studio execs there are taking notes from the development of "First Class."

Most of the Marvel fare Fox has in development are being treated as reboots.

The projects include:
  • "X-Men: First Class" sequels that could take place in the '70s and '80s, according to Vaughn and producer Bryan Singer (who launched the "X-Men" franchise in 2000), given that first pic is set in 1962.
    Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
    Vaughn has said he'd like Magneto to be behind the assassination of John F. Kennedy, for example, using his powers to manipulate the meandering bullet.

A fourth and fifth "X-Men," based around the older characters introduced in the 2000 film, are in "active development," according to Lauren Shuler Donner, with Fox recently getting a treatment for the next installment that introduces a storyline that would lead into additional sequels.

"Fantastic Four": Michael Green ("Green Lantern") was set to script a new take on the series Fox launched in 2005 that had Tim Story helming a lighter action comedy, but the studio is currently looking to bring on a new writer. Akiva Goldsman is producing the pic, which has a working title of "Fantastic Four Reborn."

"The Wolverine": Christopher McQuarrie's script stays true to the Japanese saga from the comicbooks, and is said to boast more action than previous "X-Men" installments, according to Shuler Donner. Studio is considering a new helmer after Darren Aronofsky left the project. Film is said to serve as a standalone actioner and isn't necessarily tied to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which earned $375 million worldwide in 2009.

"Deadpool": Ryan Reynolds, who also dons a super suit for DC Comics in "Green Lantern," is starring in the first film featuring the Merc with a Mouth and the thesp is working closely with writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick ("Zombieland") to develop the script as a dark comedy. Film won't be based on Reynolds' version of the character from "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," but relaunches the hero entirely. Tim Miller is attached as director.

"Daredevil": David Slade ("Twilight: Eclipse") is helming a new take on the 2003 film that starred Ben Affleck and the 2005 spinoff, "Elektra," that David Scarpa ("The Day the Earth Stood Still") and Brad Kane are writing. Peter Chernin is producing with Dylan Clark through his Fox-based shingle Chernin Entertainment.

"Magneto": David S. Goyer had been attached to direct an origins tale from a script by Sheldon Turner, but much of that project was folded into "First Class," essentially ending the chance for a standalone pic for the character anytime soon.

Like any studio with rights to a Marvel character, Fox needs to prove that its comicbook properties are in active development to prevent those films from reverting back to Marvel and its new parent, Disney.

Under its previous deal with Marvel, Fox retains the rights to all the X-Men characters, as well as those in the Fantastic Four universe, including the Silver Surfer, who the studio had planned to spin off into his own franchise at one time.

Sony similarly controls Spider-Man and related characters, as well as Ghost Rider, which is also getting a reboot.

The Mouse House, of course, would love to exploit those characters, after spending $4 billion to buy Marvel in 2009.

But after Warner Bros. successfully rebooted its Batman franchise, earning more money than previous caped crusades, and Marvel launched the "Iron Man" franchise and now "Thor," as well, rival studios are taking a similar fresh-take approach with their own projects, believing that move will guarantee sequels for years with a younger, and more affordable cast.

It's a similar strategy to Sony's with "Spider-Man" after the trilogy played itself out. It will start a new tale with Andrew Garfield as the nerdy web slinger next summer, with the cast and footage set to bow at Comic-Con.

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #52
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

Interesting article. I've got fingers crossed Vaughn directs more X-Men films. I wouldn't mind a Magneto film (a prequel to a prequel) but it'd lack a satisfactory ending so I'd prefer flashbacks to how Erik's relationship with Magda broke apart because of his vengeful streak in Second Class.

If Fox keeps the good faith going after FC then I wouldn't mind them hanging onto X-Men and Daredevil, but I really Fantastic Four is a major part of the Marvel Avengers universe unlike the X-Men and ought to go back to Disney/Marvel.

Alientraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #53
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe99 View Post
Looks like Fox has "fulfill" its contract obligation by putting both DD and FF in some kind of pre-production, so any chance of them reverting back to Marvel/Disney is slim to none right now. I just wonder if they have to actually make a movie and release it in theatre before the deadline, or can they keep these movies in perpetual pre-production instead. If they make a low-budget movie and "four-wall" it, so to speak, I think Disney's lawyers will enter the fray.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #54
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Well that explains how they can go so long w/o fully making a new movie.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #55
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Considering it's been over a year since I started this thread, and we have yet to hear of any substantial news pertaining to new Daredevil or Fantastic Four films from Fox, I think it's time to bring this discussion back to the forefront!

Given how much time has past since we've heard a whisper about any reboots from Fox for those two properties, do you think Fox has given up, or are they going to wait until the very last second to get these films out just to retain the rights?

Can Fox retain the rights simply by keeping these films in pre-production? If so, for how long?

And finally, if Fox does loose the rights to Daredevil and Fantastic Four within the next few years, how would you like to see them incorporated into the MCU?

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #56
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Daredevil can really just be its own thing. Some references to the larger world like newspapers or such, but he's a street level crimefighter working a bad neighborhood. There's really no good reason for his path to cross with the Avengers or SHIELD.

Fantastic Four, OTOH. . . is very, very dependent on how they are rebooted. That said, if Tony Stark doesn't know Reed Richards, its a loss. And you'd *need* to write and portray Reed in a way that doesn't make him look like a crappy genius next to Tony.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #57
The Watcher
Otherwordly Witness

Has Fantastic Four even had any news since that article? Was Fox actually thinking of Josh Trank, or was that just a rumour started up by someone? If it was just a rumour, then I'd expect the F4 rights to revert back this year.

I know there's been news on the Daredevil front, though, with David Slade putting up some announcements via his Twitter.

Incorporating the F4 into the MCU could be one of Marvel's best moves. In regards to any connections - I'm pretty sure Reed would decline any offer from SHIELD to become 'SHIELD scientists/agents or a SHIELD funded and operated team (much like The Avengers Initiative)'. I'm sure an explanation could be thought of to explain the F4's whereabouts during Loki's invasion, too. References/cameos by Tony Stark and Hank Pym primarily are a big must in my opinion.

The way I see it - the Fantastic Four shouldn't be overcrowded with connections and references.

The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #58
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I'm thinking the Fantastic Four should actually have their origin post-Avengers. It helps deal with potential issues like that. And yeah, I would want the FF independent. They might occasionally talk to a SHIELD liason, but that's about it.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #59
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I've always been of the thought that if Marvel gets F4 back they should stay in their own universe. But as stated above..if they are in the MCU but they stay in their own little niche with their own adventures, that would be cool.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #60
djKiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Ya marvel should get the FF and DD rights back and do em up proper

djKiDDvIcIOUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #61
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I'm thinking the Fantastic Four should actually have their origin post-Avengers. It helps deal with potential issues like that. And yeah, I would want the FF independent. They might occasionally talk to a SHIELD liason, but that's about it.
IF Marvel gets the FF back, they must share the same universe as the Avengers for the much anticipated Hulk/Thing smack down!

Nuff Said!

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #62
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbadoom View Post
IF Marvel gets the FF back, they must share the same universe as the Avengers for the much anticipated Hulk/Thing smack down!

Nuff Said!
I agree

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #63
ZeroCorpse
Now With Less Sodium!

So here's what I don't get:

We know that Marvel Studios will never get Spider-Man or the X-Men back. It's just not going to happen, because they're too lucrative for Sony/Fox to let them go.

So if Marvel knows this, then why don't they just create characters for the Marvel Movie Universe that are similar to Spider-Man or the X-Men?

I mean, if the world can have Batman and Daredevil both exist in movies without any legal issues (rich guy with horned cowl and grappling tool fights villains in dark city) then why not make a character like DC's Black Spider, who is an obvious copy of Spider-Man?

Does Sony own the Scarlet Spider? If they do, then come up with another name. Make the character Ben Reilly, or some new character-- Hell, do a Miles Morales version but cut out all references to a previous Spider-Man.

Same goes for the X-Men. You don't need to name your healing, hairy, clawed character "Wolverine"... You could make someone named "Badger" or "Wildclaw" or something.

My point is that the Marvel Movie Universe is a whole other universe, and doesn't need to stick to the rules of the 616 or Ultimate. It could have wholly original characters that are just kind of similar to others. As long as they make enough tweaks and don't use the names that are owned by Sony or Fox, they should be able to make a wall-crawling superhero who cracks wise and shoots silk from his hands, or a team of super-powered mutations that have eye-beams, weather powers, and claws.

They could also just use teams and heroes they DO still own, and tweak them to fill the roles of the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man.

For example: Marvel doesn't own the film rights to the Fantastic Four. However, they do own the film rights to Power Pack. So here's an idea:

Make a Power Pack movie, but make it so that Power Pack in the Marvel Movie Universe is a team of young adults instead of kids. Make Alex Power a genius. Alter their powers a little bit; Maybe Mass Master becomes "Mass" and is now a bulky, huge tank character? Maybe they live in a building in New York, and got their powers by going into space, having a crisis, and being granted abilities by a dying alien? Maybe Alex and Julie aren't siblings, but a married couple?

With some tweaks to the story, you could replace the Fantastic Four with a team that resembles them in many ways, but stays clear of the legal boondoggle.

Heck... Replace the X-Men with the New Warriors. Just expand their group a bit to include a bunch of the lesser-known Marvel characters. Swap the hatred for mutants with a hatred for extraterrestrials, and make the majority of the team aliens.

There are ways around this that will allow Marvel to develop some great franchises, and mix them in with the rest of their universe to create that full, detailed world we love so much.

These are all just examples. Some of them suck. But they give an idea how Marvel could replace important characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men and the FF. Writers and producers could do even better, I'm sure.

Oh, hey-- Here's an idea: Replace Spider-Man with Speedball. His powers aren't that similar (but he's still acrobatic) but he has the wit, the right age, and the general "feel" of Spider-Man. Just make him a little more like Parker, and set him loose.

ZeroCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #64
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Because it would take a lot of effort to do, with dubious benefit?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I guess in terms of brand you'd rather have something like Fantastic Four to start with instead of making Power Pack your new Fantastic Four.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #66
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I was watching the short lived (but years ahead of its time) Silver Surfer animated series and it made me realize that I'm the one property I really wish was back at Marvel is Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Having these two characters could make for an incredible Avengers 3 or an individual movie dedicated towards the SS/Norrin Radd and his encounter with Galactus. Sure it'd be changing some of the canon but the MCU is going down a different direction anyway. Getting the F4 would be a plus but I'd be happy with just SS and Galactus along with their own individual mythos (minus the F4 aspects) going back to Marvel.

Although if that ever does happen it'll probably have to include the F4.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #67
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

According to Kevin Feige, both Marvel and Fox have the rights to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not sure how that makes sense or would work but whatever.

- CM Punk
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #69
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I think they're just both allowed to use them but I guess they'd have to omit parts of their history that belong to the other studio.

I agree that it'd be convoluted as heck. The only franchise I really want back in the hands of Marvel/Disney is the F4 just so they can have Silver Surfer and Galactus back. Not sure who the other heralds are under honestly but I'm guessing with Fox?

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #70
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quicksilver and the scarlet witch are same as skrulls eather marvel or Fox could use them.Whoever uses them first In a film would be able to use them In their film universe.
Although Fox defently has the rights straight up to super skrull.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #71
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm not holding my breath to see Scarlett Witch or Quicksilver on film anytime soon.

- CM Punk
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #72
venom892
Got Lucky

I think Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are best avoided for now. There are a bunch of other Avengers that can be used.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #73
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yeah exactly. Their backstories would be too confusing and convoluted. They wouldn't be mutants anymore and likely not Magneto's kids. Just hold off on all that for now.

We need to see originals like Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne first.

- CM Punk
Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #74
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCorpse View Post
So here's what I don't get:

We know that Marvel Studios will never get Spider-Man or the X-Men back. It's just not going to happen, because they're too lucrative for Sony/Fox to let them go.

So if Marvel knows this, then why don't they just create characters for the Marvel Movie Universe that are similar to Spider-Man or the X-Men?

I mean, if the world can have Batman and Daredevil both exist in movies without any legal issues (rich guy with horned cowl and grappling tool fights villains in dark city) then why not make a character like DC's Black Spider, who is an obvious copy of Spider-Man?

Does Sony own the Scarlet Spider? If they do, then come up with another name. Make the character Ben Reilly, or some new character-- Hell, do a Miles Morales version but cut out all references to a previous Spider-Man.

Same goes for the X-Men. You don't need to name your healing, hairy, clawed character "Wolverine"... You could make someone named "Badger" or "Wildclaw" or something.

My point is that the Marvel Movie Universe is a whole other universe, and doesn't need to stick to the rules of the 616 or Ultimate. It could have wholly original characters that are just kind of similar to others. As long as they make enough tweaks and don't use the names that are owned by Sony or Fox, they should be able to make a wall-crawling superhero who cracks wise and shoots silk from his hands, or a team of super-powered mutations that have eye-beams, weather powers, and claws.

They could also just use teams and heroes they DO still own, and tweak them to fill the roles of the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man.

For example: Marvel doesn't own the film rights to the Fantastic Four. However, they do own the film rights to Power Pack. So here's an idea:

Make a Power Pack movie, but make it so that Power Pack in the Marvel Movie Universe is a team of young adults instead of kids. Make Alex Power a genius. Alter their powers a little bit; Maybe Mass Master becomes "Mass" and is now a bulky, huge tank character? Maybe they live in a building in New York, and got their powers by going into space, having a crisis, and being granted abilities by a dying alien? Maybe Alex and Julie aren't siblings, but a married couple?

With some tweaks to the story, you could replace the Fantastic Four with a team that resembles them in many ways, but stays clear of the legal boondoggle.

Heck... Replace the X-Men with the New Warriors. Just expand their group a bit to include a bunch of the lesser-known Marvel characters. Swap the hatred for mutants with a hatred for extraterrestrials, and make the majority of the team aliens.

There are ways around this that will allow Marvel to develop some great franchises, and mix them in with the rest of their universe to create that full, detailed world we love so much.

These are all just examples. Some of them suck. But they give an idea how Marvel could replace important characters like Spider-Man, the X-Men and the FF. Writers and producers could do even better, I'm sure.

Oh, hey-- Here's an idea: Replace Spider-Man with Speedball. His powers aren't that similar (but he's still acrobatic) but he has the wit, the right age, and the general "feel" of Spider-Man. Just make him a little more like Parker, and set him loose.
I said the same thing about Ghost Rider. Dan Ketch can be used by Marvel to introduce him into any Marvel studio series. They can also use the Phantom rider, Vengeance, and a whole slew of characters that Sony never bothered to use.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #75
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

The way I see it, I think we can almost guarentee that Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Fantastic Four will be back at Marvel soon. Spidey will depend on Sony's financial situation. X-Men I'd say is unlikley, unless Disney and Marvel pull out a LOT of money and buy them back.

BatsDC is online now   Reply With Quote