The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #101
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Default Re: Mandarin discussion thread

It's weird, I've seen two different sites give entirely two different spins on the Ben Kingsley news. IGN says that an insider source denies he's the Mandarin and The Hollywood Reporter says he will not be the main villain and may yet still be the Mandarin.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #102
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
It's weird, I've seen two different sites give entirely two different spins on the Ben Kingsley news. IGN says that an insider source denies he's the Mandarin and The Hollywood Reporter says he will not be the main villain and may yet still be the Mandarin.
I read the same articles and believe it's too early to really know what's happening in the IM3 script. Best to wait until they actually start filming.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 PM   #103
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

True. Everything must be taken with a huge grain of salt at the moment.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #104
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Could it be a clever marketing strategy - telling us that they don't like the Mandarin, yeah it's possible, but not very likely that he could be in the film...

... but in reality they had the plan to put him in there right from the beginning? They are just playing with us?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #105
tamron
Side-Kick

Perhaps Kingsley will be a Mandarin-like Middle Eastern character in keeping with Tony's updated movie origin, instead of the standard Asian depiction. Thus they don't wanna say "he's the Mandarin" because if he's Middle Eastern now, it's unlikely he keeps that moniker, it no longer makes sense.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #106
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

sadly i've seen on a lot of other forums that there are reports that Mandarin is a no go, as it could be considered a really offensive stereo type to Asians( yeah yeah i know) and that markets to big of a cash pot to lose.

yeah like marvel would really have him buck toothed and a bad accent et etc

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #107
The Guard
Side-Kick

Now wait a minute...it's not like they avoided making Ivan Vanko a Russian in IRON MAN 2. Why would they suddenly avoid having The Mandarin be Asian? That strikes me as racism spotting where there is none. There have been PLENTY of Asian, French, German and British vilains that studios have had few issues using over the years. The Mandarin is just one more of them. Why would there suddenly be an issue with this one? The comics have made several adjustments to his themes, origins and nature, and I'd imagine a film would have to do the same, and would.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #108
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Now wait a minute...it's not like they avoided making Ivan Vanko a Russian in IRON MAN 2. Why would they suddenly avoid having The Mandarin be Asian? That strikes me as racism spotting where there is none. There have been PLENTY of Asian, French, German and British vilains that studios have had few issues using over the years. The Mandarin is just one more of them. Why would there suddenly be an issue with this one? The comics have made several adjustments to his themes, origins and nature, and I'd imagine a film would have to do the same, and would.
ahh but you see you're using this little known thing called common sense, you need to get with the rest of people who immediately see Asian character and expect bad accent buck teeth and big thick glasses

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #109
tamron
Side-Kick

I agree it's racism spotting where there is none.

Shane Black reportedly feels Mandarin is a 'racist caricature' so if that's true, we can't expect anything remotely like the genuine article.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35196

Last edited by tamron; 04-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #110
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Better not at all than to get him wrong.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #111
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Black needs to read some recent stories with the character, or hell, even watch the Armored Adventures cartoon. The 1994 cartoon, ehhh, not so much.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #112
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Better not at all than to get him wrong.
I agree. We don't want a repeat of Spider-man 3. Either hold him back for an Iron Man sequel with someone who is prepared to tackle the character honestly or possibly introduce him in as a villain in a future Avengers sequel (although I would argue that if they did that it would have to be Tony-centric to a point).

Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #113
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Yesterday there was a new article at CBM saying Kingsley would portray "the 'Ten Rings Leader', with certain characteristics altered from the comics" and that there is a new casting call for IM3 looking for actors of " Chinese as well as Middle Eastern descents".

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #114
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I agree. We don't want a repeat of Spider-man 3.
Very good comparison. I'd rather hold him back and do the character justice in another movie than throwing him in there just to have him (a la venom).

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #115
iGiFF
Side-Kick

Here is my theory: Ben Kingsley is playing a modified version of The Mandarin, that is more contemporary. He will be Afghani to fit with the Ten Rings of the MCU, and because The Mandarin is a chinese title, they will change his name... I say they should change it to one of his comic book aliases, Gene Khan, Zhang Tong or Tem Borjigin.

This could explain conflicting reports that he is not The Mandarin an that he is... technically, he wouldn't be.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #116
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGiFF View Post
Here is my theory: Ben Kingsley is playing a modified version of The Mandarin, that is more contemporary. He will be Afghani to fit with the Ten Rings of the MCU, and because The Mandarin is a chinese title, they will change his name... I say they should change it to one of his comic book aliases, Gene Khan, Zhang Tong or Tem Borjigin.

This could explain conflicting reports that he is not The Mandarin an that he is... technically, he wouldn't be.

Agreed. Technically, a descendant of Genghis Khan *could* live in Afghanistan, as the Mongols conquered and held the land for centuries.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #117
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Mandarin is half chinese anyway.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #118
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGiFF View Post

I'd say to use Gene Kahn alias myself. As that doesn't sound as blatantly Far Eastern as the other ones and could still work even if the characer was now of an Indian or Afghan heritage.

Then they can some throw some off-hand remark using the term "The Mandarin" as they did with Iron Monger and War Machine in IM1 and IM2 respectively.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #119
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

http://http://marvel.com/news/story/18550/iron_man_3_to_be_co-produced_in_china

Coincidence? I don't think so. Why film in China if you're not bringing in IM's worst enemy?

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #120
Superhero 101
DESI

yeah i agree something smells fishy

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #121
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I'll second that. I'm taking a wait and see approach, myself. Wouldn't be shocked if the actuality is "Mandarin-equivalent from Central Asia, with Extremis-equivalent as power source."

Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #122
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I'm just wondering if Mandarin is for certain at this point or if we're just assuming because the rumour has been reported by quite a few people recently as though it is.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #123
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

well I'll just assume that everyone saw those pics of a certain Iron Patriot floating about the Net

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #124
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGirl299 View Post
http://http://marvel.com/news/story/18550/iron_man_3_to_be_co-produced_in_china

Coincidence? I don't think so. Why film in China if you're not bringing in IM's worst enemy?
If his main enemy is not Chinese then why film in China? or wait . . . eh something like that.

- CM Punk
Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #125
AvengeME
Banned User

I don't mind changing Mandarin up to a more modern terrorist archetype. Kingsley sort of fits that bill ethnicity wise. It's not the worst casting decision in terms of changing a character's race. However, I just would have preferred a closer comic book counterpart given how iconic the character is in Iron Man lore. I thought Michael Clarke Duncan worked in Dare Devil because the actor matched the physique and the build of the character, on top of being an established actor. I don't think Kingsley resembles the character in the least bit. But the character is being written simply as a criminal mastermind that does all his work behind the scenes. Perhaps he isn't meant to see action at any point. Kinda lame if you ask me. I just hope we don't get another armored villain at the end. If they are going with cyborgs and nanotechnology, that is something much different than what we have gotten. I just need something a lot more organic as a threat.

Closed Thread