Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #501
Human Spider
Side-Kick

Default Re: Webbing formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_widow View Post
we thought up chewing gum in the past. The beautiful thing is that chewing gums chemical structure is similar to glue, an elastomer, and a reactant. We scrapped it though, mainly because using sugar chains are much more beneficial to this project.

as for the comment on fiberglass, the resin takes too long to cure. That is my only beef with it. Though it would be nice to have an adhesive.
Okay. Just wondering, how is using sugar chains more beneficial to the project?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #502
White_widow
technology theorist

because in molecular formulas that I've been studying are starting reveal sugar as a likely culprit for webbing. For example, one basic sugar molecule can create a glue much stronger than superglue. (http://thefutureofthings.com/articles.php?itemId=31/57/)

to give you a reference of how strong super glue is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g36gZ0zL7tk/

and finally, my new favorite natural plastic nanocellulose is also made of sugar chains. a fact I learned from this article which supports the idea (though not proves,) that nano-cellulose is the right material for the job. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325173010.htm

heck, even if it isn't, it would still be a great strengthener. But what I like about that article that I'm not sure if you guys know, is that they made an aerogel out of it. Aerogel is an amazing material that is made of 99% air, and yet can hold weight on a 1-100 ratio. It's also fireproof, lightweight, and now biodegradable.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #503
spidey44
Side-Kick

Aerogel is also a little difficult to make (I thought). Also does anyone else have any ideas for an adhesive other than super glue and White Widow's adhesive?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #504
AmazinSpiderboy
Side-Kick

What about quick drying adhesive spray ?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #505
White_widow
technology theorist

that's cyanoacrylate spray.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #506
Human Spider
Side-Kick

How abundant is nanocellulose and how expensive is it?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #507
White_widow
technology theorist

nano-cellulose can be made from plant stems, meaning that it is borderline infinite. It's the conversion process that I can't figure out.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #508
AmazinSpiderboy
Side-Kick

So what's wrong with the spray

Old 04-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #509
White_widow
technology theorist

nothing is wrong with the spray. He asked if there was any glue other than cyanoacrylate and you said, how about cyanoacrylate spray? I was just correcting. Nothing meant by it.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #510
AmazinSpiderboy
Side-Kick

Oh okay I think I might have found a solution for the web shooter I may post it later if I get the shooter to work.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #511
AmazinSpiderboy
Side-Kick

On the web shooter forum

Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #512
spidey44
Side-Kick

I'm thinking about not doing foam because I'll end up using the same amount of material, but it won't be as big of a web. (is that correct).

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #513
White_widow
technology theorist

It depends on the surfactant, and how much you use. The expansion rate is what we're trying to obtain.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #514
spidey44
Side-Kick

What I meant was the same of of resin. Are you using foam so you can do something similar to what spider man did to the Blob, when he threw one of the cartridges at the Blob and it busted open and encased the Blob in webbing.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #515
White_widow
technology theorist

yeah. What we are trying to do is make a flexible aerogel. It will be 99% air and 1% resin.That way, instead of having a few feet of straight resin, we will have a silly string type that dwarfs that by comparison. It's how to conserve fluid in such small containers.

Though to be honest, I think that If people would use the paintball tank sized tanks of fluid that can be easily hidden in the average one-strapped backpacks, they wouldn't have to worry so much about fluid consumption. After all, until the people that try to swing break their arms, how much fluid would we really need? For building preservation, a small 20 oz tank should suffice. For self defense, a co2 sized cartridge would suffice. Don't ever use that for self defense if you use a heavy expansion factor though. It would more likely kill a person.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #516
spidey44
Side-Kick

One more question about the foam, because it's an aerogel won't it blow around in the wind and not go very far?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #517
White_widow
technology theorist

You're referring to how light it is. It's possible, but I'd have to think not, mainly because the force of the propellent will give it enough inertia and will continue to follow through the webbing. It's kind of like a punch. If you are just punching with your arm, it will be weak, but if you have the force of a body, it should be stronger.

So in short, I think it depends on the pressure.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #518
spidey44
Side-Kick

I saw this almost a year ago and have been looking for it for a several weeks.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1227963872

I want to make something similar to this for my web fluid.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #519
symbioteshost
The Simple Peter Parker

Hey guys i thought i would return and say ive discarded my old idea due to the inconvenience... my new plan is to create a quick hardening liquid... that could stored in a simple container...say a modded squirt gun... if you look in ultimate spider-man... his web looks like a simple squirt gun that he just wears using his watch bracelet.... another idea i have is using high pressure.... such a co2... thats shoots a paste or webbing... i saw that in the movie, when his web shooters are fired air is released and looks/sounds very similar to a co2 powered air pellet gun... lemme know if you have any ideas on quick hardening liquids or turning a cheap squirt to a wrist shooter... thanks

Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #520
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey44 View Post
I saw this almost a year ago and have been looking for it for a several weeks.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1227963872

I want to make something similar to this for my web fluid.
That could work, but we would have to worry about it blowing up the shooter or even clogging it. But the expansion rate is awesome. I think it triples in amount based on the picture.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #521
TheWeb
Side-Kick

I do not mean to be rude, only contribute.

You guys need to think three steps ahead and skip steps one and two.

What i mean by this is, a lot of what i'm seeing is people trying to manage a way to mix all chemicals at the same time in a web shooter. This is not efficient.

What should be done to minimalize the size of the shooter, and the compartments that hold the chemicals necessary for the formula to work is that you should have all the chemicals mixed before hand, except ONE activator, and this activator does not have to be liquid. I had the idea of taking a nozzle and surrounding it with syringes that blew out C02. (from tiny C02 cartridges(for paintball guns)). This would provide the webbing some direction, and if you can find a way to make C02 an activator for your formula( or any other cheap compressible gas) you will be golden. Think about it like this, put a cartridge of premixed formula in the web shooter( which is in liquid form). Then put enough C02 cartridges in to wrap around your arm. The liquid would shoot out( liquid gives direction). When the liquid shoots out it would be surrounded by say 4 syringes that shot out C02(this would either activate the liquid or cool the liquid) the concentrated direction of the C02 would provide even more direction.

This method would change depending on what types of chemicals you would use, and would help the condense the size of the shooters greatly.

I have a working prototype of my version, which is the perfect scale. The only problem is i dont have the money for the substances my personal formula requires.

What i'm trying to get at with this is don't just think about the formula, think about the scale of the shooters. Put enough determination into it and the two will sync with each other perfectly.

Also look more towards marc webbs amazing spiderman webshooters. They are almost perfect for the real thing, except it needs to be based off a gas that causes alot of pressure. If you look into the nozzle of marc webbs and ponder on it a bit you'll see exactly how the design coincides with mine.

I'll try posting a design of it tommorow.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #522
TheWeb
Side-Kick

Here's a quick draw up of the basic concept of my functional shooter.
Some parts are left out on purpose.

the tech works thanks to the guys at raspberry pi

Last edited by TheWeb; 05-08-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #523
AmazinSpiderboy
Side-Kick

You see, the web I kinda had an idea like that but It had more tech stuff and less formula and a lot of Co2.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #524
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I have a couple of questions, TheWeb. I, too, though, do not want to be rude, but wish to contribute to help you contribute.

First of all, you said you programmed the tech. For it to be this way, you would have to have used a microcontroller, like Spidey uses in the new film. However, in order to do it this way, it would quite frankly only take about 10 or less lines of code to release these at the touch of a button (that is, unless you are doing a double tap like me), so I don't exactly understand why it would take you hours of programming. Second, why use a lever? It would just push up on the shooter and push it off the power source and/or wrist.
Also, if you have all of the chemicals mixed beforehand (except the activator), it could 1) harden in the canister and clog up the shooter, and/or 2) cause an unwanted reaction and kill the shooter.

All in all, I think we need to know more about the tech if you actually want to contribute to this project; because this "tech", as you call it, seems to be the main portion and makes it look like the rest does nothing until it reaches that point. I would suggest telling us more about the "tech" portion, and then we'll see your ideas from there.
Once again, only trying to understand.

EDIT: It seems, since you're at Raspberry Pi, that you're more than likely using Arduino. Still, I stand by what I said... only about 10-15 lines of code, at most.

Last edited by Wadaltmon; 05-09-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: more
Old 05-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #525
TheWeb
Side-Kick

You're still thinking to simple for the tech. Both of you. There is more tech than you think and less formula than you think. The tech is on a microcontroller and there are about 300 lines of code. (You must understand that the couple hours comes from constant approval to make the code as perfect as possible and as flexible as needed and new ideas that come along the way). Perfection and precision is key. The lever isn't as noticeable as it seems in the diagram and it's more or less there as a trigger for an if statement from a script that loops.(when the lever is "activated" it sets a var from 0 to 1 and the if statement is then satisfied from having a variable of 1 and starts doing some more complicated things which result in the nozzle shooting web) YAY TECH. there are also valves that i left out. The formula is no where anear perfect believe me i know this. The reason why i posted this was because i KNOW for a fact that every single person in this thread is verryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy close to the peter parker formula. However they have inconsistencies when developing their formula(such as considering the tech and design). The web shooters from the movie closely resemble mine, and if you look at them and study them long enough you will see what i mean.( the nozzle from the movies inspired mine) and their are alot of designs i have shelfed that i haven't even attempted. The point of my post is. I have the tech and design portion covered, but i by myself cannot develop the formula on my own. I know C02 is not a reliable gas for this and if i can get someone with the chemistry smarts of white_widow or Wadaltmon to work with me on creating a design where everything coincides greatly. Then i know we can make this in no time.

Closed Thread