The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Th Confused Screen Capping with VLC Player

As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please?

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.

Last edited by Spider-Man Luvr28; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
znop

Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man Luvr28 View Post
As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please?

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.

Last edited by znop; 04-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
znop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by znop View Post
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.
This would explain why I could never get VLC Player to work on my laptop computer. I hope they will release a Windows 7 version for this program soon.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
lucy9994

Quote:
Originally Posted by znop View Post
It's Windows 7

I have exactly the same problem and am using Vista. I only have this problem since upgradeing to latest version of VLC. It was working perfectly fine before upgrading, therefore I suspect this is a bug with new VLC vesion. Anyone know how to get the old version back again because that would be my suggested fix?

lucy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
lucy9994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man Luvr28 View Post

I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
lucy9994

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy9994 View Post
I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...
PS I don't think its a windows 7 issue as I'm on Vista therefore that leads me to think its a VLC new version issue.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
jphill2012
New User - Level 0

all old versions of VLC media player can be found here:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

jphill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.

Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll dl one of the older versions then.

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Speaking of VLC, can anyone help me with this problem? For some reason the VLC plug in shows up every time I go to sites like thedarkknightrises.com and it wont let me play the trailer or let me close it. Here's what it looks like:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
znop

Hey I've been away for awhile...

Y'all may have figured this out already (no one has posted on the "Vlc" topic in a good while) but, I upgraded to Windows 7 recently and for what it's worth "VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower" works just fine with Windows 7 if anyone still needs to know.

znop is offline   Reply With Quote