The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Tech & Support

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.
 
Spider-Man Luvr28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 28,057
Th Confused Screen Capping with VLC Player

As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please?

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.


Last edited by Spider-Man Luvr28; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
znop
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man Luvr28 View Post
As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please?

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.


Last edited by znop; 04-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
znop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,393
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by znop View Post
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.
This would explain why I could never get VLC Player to work on my laptop computer. I hope they will release a Windows 7 version for this program soon.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
lucy9994
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by znop View Post
It's Windows 7

I predominatly use VLC (2.0.1 Twoflower) under Windows XP SP3 to watch my movies and I've never plan to upgrade.
I have exactly the same problem and am using Vista. I only have this problem since upgradeing to latest version of VLC. It was working perfectly fine before upgrading, therefore I suspect this is a bug with new VLC vesion. Anyone know how to get the old version back again because that would be my suggested fix?

lucy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
lucy9994
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man Luvr28 View Post
As the title says, I need some help with learning how to do screen caps using the VLC Media Player. I downloaded the program, inserted my film & it works fine, but when I try to use the snap shot button to screen cap, I keep getting a "Streaming / Transcoding failed:
VLC could not open the encoder." error message. Are there some settings I need to fix or what? Other than loading the film, I only changed the file type to jpg instead of png & where the files would be saved.

I'm using Windows 7 & the VLC's version is 2.01. I already checked the official site, but I didn't really see anything that helped with this sort of error. So, um, can I get some help please?

Edit: Along with the program, should I have downloaded something called the VLC Media Player source code? It says it's a downloadable tarball that includes the full source code for the VLC Media Player.
I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...

lucy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
lucy9994
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy9994 View Post
I don't have the answer but I was able to capture shots in the old version by following instructions I found on line and then using ctrl Alt S which saved it to a file I'd pre-set up following the instructions. However when I came to use today, I was notified of VLC upgrade and so installed that first. Sadly, that uninstalls original version and now I cant use and get exactly the same message that you're talking about. Don't know whether's a way of getting the old version instead...
PS I don't think its a windows 7 issue as I'm on Vista therefore that leads me to think its a VLC new version issue.

lucy9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
jphill2012
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

all old versions of VLC media player can be found here:

http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/

jphill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Spider-Man Luvr28
Amazing.
 
Spider-Man Luvr28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 28,057
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Thanks for the responses guys. Guess I'll dl one of the older versions then.

Spider-Man Luvr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
Kane52630
Nightcall User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 68,715
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Speaking of VLC, can anyone help me with this problem? For some reason the VLC plug in shows up every time I go to sites like thedarkknightrises.com and it wont let me play the trailer or let me close it. Here's what it looks like:


__________________
Design of Chaos

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
znop
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: Screen Capping with VLC Player

Hey I've been away for awhile...

Y'all may have figured this out already (no one has posted on the "Vlc" topic in a good while) but, I upgraded to Windows 7 recently and for what it's worth "VLC media player 2.0.6 Twoflower" works just fine with Windows 7 if anyone still needs to know.

znop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.