The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Default Re: An interesting quote

The idea of a gun shooting out CGI rays is kind of corny. The idea of Batman using his cape to fly is ridiculous as well however Nolan & Co. justified it in Batman Begins. The same could be done with Mr. Freeze's trademark weapon. His gun could be connected to a tank that holds nitrogen. The difference is it will not cover you with ice however it the result will pretty much be the same as someone standing outside on a seventy below zero day, which could do enough damage if an excess amount of nitrogen is applied to a person. His role could be similar as Harvey Dent/Two Face in TDK. He would start out as Dr. Fries that is trying to save his wife until one bad day turns into a life-changing experience. After an accident he is forced to preserve his body in a cooling suit. He'd feel his wife's life is in danger which would drive him crazy. He would set targets, such as Commissioner Gordon and attempt to freeze him so he can feel his pain.

Because of how limited a more "realistic" Mr. Freeze would turn out in Nolan's films, he could be the number two villain, just like Two Face in TDK. I know this would never happen in Nolan's world but IMO it's a decent way to make the character fit in.

Mister Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #27
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

I still think Two-Face ranks as one of the most believable foes Batman faced in all his days.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #28
Daxceon
Side-Kick

Sorry Mister Meddle but the idea of a man running around freezing people with nitrogen is a bit daft and proposing that his role be similar to Two-Face - in that he take revenge on people - is equally daft. That kind of story has been told in this franchise, what is the point? It is just a repeat of TDK with a less believable villain with the same motives. Do you really think that having removed Ra's immortality and the Joker's permanently bleached appearance, Nolan would have a Mr Freeze who - unlike any other human who has ever lived - must remain is freezing conditions in order to survive? It just doesn't make sense.

The differences between the cape and a freeze gun are far greater than you think also. The cape takes up a good portion of screen time in Begins, for the simple reason that it is an improbable object, that is to say that while something like it could and apparently does exist in the real world - it is hard to take in - so Nolan took the time to explain it such a way within a section of the film that shows us other objects that have a more grounded believable feel, how it would work. Is he going to spend ten minutes of the last Batman film showing the audience that this man has devoted some time to making a freeze gun?

Plus think of Freeze for a moment, the villains so far have looked the way they have out of a need, not a gimmick. Crane is by far the least believable but his mask has a re-breather in it and he uses it to scare his test subjects, the Joker uses it to put people off, to confuse and alarm them, to set himself apart from the masses to show his difference and Harvey just couldn’t help it.

I'm not saying that it is impossible, I am just saying it is unlikely that Nolan would spend the final outing of Batman, which rightly should be about Batman, explaining that Victor Fries has made this fast freezing laser tool…and a suit to stop him from dying at room temperature. Everything he was done with Batman has had grounding before; Ra's is a terrorist, Scarecrow is a doctor who makes drugs, Joker is a near suicidal anarchist and Two Face is a burns victim who decides to go trigger happy when his life caves in. All these things can happen, they are obviously an exaggerated take on real life but they happen. A scientist who uses cryogenic technology to save his wife from a disease and then blame the world for his loss is unlikely to happen - he wouldn't be allowed to work on his wife's comatose body for a start.

It is a tale straight out of a pulp novella and it needs to stay there. It works in the cartoons and the comics but it wouldn’t in Nolan’s films. And why use Freeze anyway there are an abundance of villains who are realistic or can be adapted far more easily for Nolan’s films?

Besides the way the plots and details are trickling out a female villain would be refreshing, I would prefer Catwoman to Talia but Talia would bookend the franchise more, which is what Nolan seems to be wanting. What with Hans Zimmer looking back and reinventing his scores from the past films. Who is to say what will happen?

Last edited by Daxceon; 01-16-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Daxceon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #29
SuperFerret
Class Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP060692 View Post
Really? Well, if that's true, it seems to be a very logical, straightforward answer, but I can't help to think that there might be a deeper reason...
The facepalm that this post wrought upon my life echoed throughout my apartment and required me to take an Advil to treat the resulting headache.

"Yes, this is completely logical, and therefore is the most likely answer, but I'm going to waste time seeking a deeper reason that will likely be less logical and most likely wrong."

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #30
imposserus
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
It's logical for a few reasons.

1. You've gotta think where this plot is going. It's come from being a symbol and changing the ease with which criminals were getting away with things, to inspiring greatness in good men and letting mad men out of the wood work like Joker. Now he's going to be labelled the villain.

And while we don't know exactly what the plot is going to be, if it's going to follow along the same thread, then it's hard to see how Mr Freezes plot line could fit into that.

2. Nothing with a freeze ray will ever be taken seriously. And TBH, I think Nolan's real worldness extends very heavily to weapons. Even Batman's weapons are realistic. And a freeze ray, even if you power it with something a bit more believable and explainable that big diamonds, is never going to be that realistic.

3. I'd personally avoid absolutely ANYTHING that was used in B&R just to avoid the stigma. No poison ivy, no Mr Freeze, no Batgirl etc etc.
no bane?

haha

imposserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
FlashThompson
Banned User

Mr. Freeze can be included in Nolans' version if done right. He would be a dark sinister villain and the freeze ray could shoot out some High Definition, Best of the Best, Realistic Lookin' CGI to make it look believable.

He would have to look like he did in Arkham City though. With the red goggles (:

FlashThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 AM   #32
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashThompson View Post
Mr. Freeze can be included in Nolans' version if done right. He would be a dark sinister villain and the freeze ray could shoot out some High Definition, Best of the Best, Realistic Lookin' CGI to make it look believable.

He would have to look like he did in Arkham City though. With the red goggles (:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP060692 View Post
Somewhere- I don't remember where (it would be great if someone could find the original quote)- Christopher Nolan stated something to the effect that Mr. Freeze wouldn't be in the future installment. What would make him so definitively disregard the character in such a nascent phase of the project?
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/...astic-story-1/

Quote:
His villain choices to date have steered clear of strongly supernatural or super-science characters (no Man-Bat, Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy, for instance) but he shook his head when asked if that was a trajectory he would continue. He did however concede one tidbit: “It won’t be,” he said, “Mr. Freeze.”

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #34
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Get Patrick Stewart to play a serious version of Mr. Freeze. Problem solved.

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #35
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Patrick Steward definitely.. Jospeh Fiennes would be a good choice too.