The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #51
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Ben Kingsley as Iron Man 3 Villain

I have never heard anything about Black being pressured to make Ghost the main villain. Also, Raimi said openly he hated Venom, yet what did we see in SM3...what the fans wanted! Fans want Mandarin. I think he happens, for better or worse.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #52
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I honestly can't take Kingsley seriously in genre fare after all the terrible movies.
True but 'Hugo' reminded me that he's legit..when he wants to be.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #53
zeptron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I have never heard anything about Black being pressured to make Ghost the main villain. Also, Raimi said openly he hated Venom, yet what did we see in SM3...what the fans wanted! Fans want Mandarin. I think he happens, for better or worse.
And we all know how well the studio pressuring Raimi into using a villain he didn't want turned out.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #54
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptron View Post
And we all know how well the studio pressuring Raimi into using a villain he didn't want turned out.
Immaterial to my point. My point was everyone wrote off Venom given Raimi's comments, yet he happened. I don't think Shane Black stating in the comics he is a racist charaicature holds any bearing on him being in IM3.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #55
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Except Raimi didn't give fans Venom....he gave them a half-assed kindasorta In Name Only. Hence the fanrage.

Same thing will happen if Black is pressured to deliver Mandarin, and he is grudgingly forced to write him in, but on his terms. Then it's SM3 all over again.

But in the case of Marvel Studios, I don't think it's a question of what the *fans* want; it's a question of what Feige and Marvel want. If they want Mandarin, IM3 will feature Mandarin. With or without Shane Black at the helm.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #56
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Perhaps Kingsley is playing the leader of the Ten Rings who is known around the globe as a shadowy figure who few have actually seen. Maybe the Chinese ring of the Ten Rings often refers to this shadowy figure as The Mandarin.

Keeps him from being a caricature but still pays homage to it.

I'm also in for Ghost as his Lt. and assassin.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #57
Godzilla2000
Cosmic Muse

So, any word on what character Sir Ben Kingsley is going to be playing? Mandarin maybe?

P.S. I adore his work in the movie Ghandi. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

On the bright side even if you've only been married to someone almost a year before getting a divorce that's still longer than Kim Kardashian's previous marriage.

"There are no strings on me." - Ultron, Avengers 2: Age Of Ultron

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 04-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Godzilla2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #58
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Except Raimi didn't give fans Venom....he gave them a half-assed kindasorta In Name Only. Hence the fanrage.

Same thing will happen if Black is pressured to deliver Mandarin, and he is grudgingly forced to write him in, but on his terms. Then it's SM3 all over again.

But in the case of Marvel Studios, I don't think it's a question of what the *fans* want; it's a question of what Feige and Marvel want. If they want Mandarin, IM3 will feature Mandarin. With or without Shane Black at the helm.
Agreed, and I think Marvel and Feige will push for the Mandarin. That is my belief. As stated before, the quality of SM3's Venom is immaterial to my overall my point. I am not currently arguing a qualitative point, I am showing people how it works, and I think that is how this will go down. Obviously they push their agenda, seeing as a Thor 2 director left over creative differences. But, at same time, Shane Black would be entering this knowing that, so if he is doing the Mandarin, he is accepting responsibility for him, much like Raimi does now for Venom (though in Raimi's case, I still back him given SM1 and SM2's quality, so he earned control over SM3...while Black is a newer director and doesn't have that earned just yet).

Old 04-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #59
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

As a Iron Man fan, would I like to see Mandarin, sure, but I don't want a version of the character thrust into the movie because of studio or fan pressure, I would like the character done right and made into the threat he is to Iron Man.
Its assumed that this is most likely the last Iron Man film, depends, RDJ has stated he would do more Iron Man films, as he loves the character and if he has a good time on set with Shane Black, its a possiblity, especially if the film does well at the box office, which past history would say it will do well, plus lets me honest, Avengers has a great chance of being a huge blockbuster for the studio, but other than Iron Man and Avengers, the other Marvel films, did not do the same box office numbers Iron Man & Iron Man 2 did and what Avengers looks to do, so Marvel studios will have basically two go to franchises to make money, and if other Marvel films dont do well, Iron Man 4 looks like a real possiblity if so, then Mandarin could be pushed back to that film, especially if Shane Black wants to direct a second film, and RDJ wants to do a 4th.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

For me,

No Mandarin = No Interest in Iron-man 3.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #61
Iron_Stark
Age of Ultron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

That's exactly right. Plus I'd also throw in whatever Robert Downey Jr wants aswell.

Like Joss Whedon said in a recent interview, Marvel and Co. showed him what they did and didn't want for the Avengers and he made it happen. I'm sure, no I'm POSITIVE when Black sat down with Marvel they told him this is the villain we want.

Plus this is nothing like the SM3/Venom situation. Shane Black isn't invested in this franchise like Raimi was with the SM movies and Venom wasn't foreshadowed in previous movies like Mandarin was with the Ten Rings, Venom was just halfassed thrown into the movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #62
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Yeah, Whedon said Marvel told him from the start that they wanted Loki as the villain and no one else (excluding alien minions apparently). And based on early reactions, it seems that's worked out just fine, to say the least. Asking for Mandarin doesn't make it a SM3 situation, which was under different circumstances.

Son of Coul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #63
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Fans want Mandarin.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #64
The Morningstar
Banned User

Whedon said it was similar to a editor-writer relationship in the comics. The editor provides a guideline, certain things that are needed in the story, then the writer has to actually create the story.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #65
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Fans want Mandarin.
I'd like to see Mandarin, but if he's not in it, it's no biggy to me. I trust Shane Black, considering he's is one of the Godfathers of the action genre.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #66
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
For me,

No Mandarin = No Interest in Iron-man 3.
Right.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #67
metaphysician
Side-Kick

You know, here's a thought: Shane Black has said that he hates the Mandarin, because he's a bad racist caricature. Has he ever said that he wouldn't actually be *using* the Mandarin, though?

I can conceive of a scenario where he casts Kingsley as a semi-new character who basically fills the Mandarin's role in the setting, except without the yellow peril caricature elements: leader and founder of the Ten Rings, genius mastermind, and after a little dose of Extremis, super powered melee fighter with various tricks. The main difference is that instead of being a Chinese stereotype, he'd be a Central Asian stereotype. *zing!*

Well, not really, or at least not necessarily so.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #68
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I dont understand this whole 'No Manadarin - No interest' thing. I mean, you guys are Iron Man fans, arent you?
If the answer is yes then you should be onboard whether the villain is the Mandarin, the Unicorn or the freaking Living Laser.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #69
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Braddock View Post
I dont understand this whole 'No Manadarin - No interest' thing. I mean, you guys are Iron Man fans, arent you?
If the answer is yes then you should be onboard whether the villain is the Mandarin, the Unicorn or the freaking Living Laser.
I am , if they don't use Mandarin I am ok with that, frankly, I would rather see other Iron man villains like Titanium Man, Madam Masque, Spymaster, Ghost, Firebrand, Crimson Dynamo, Unicorn, Melter and yes Mandarin.
If this is the last Iron Man movie, so many of his great villains will go unused, alot of whom would make great movie villains,so yeah, do I want Mandarin, but if they dont use him, I will still see the movie like a dozen times anyway, Iron man is my fav comic hero and thats good enough for me.
As a life long die-hard fan who honestly never thought the character would come to the big screen, let lone he as successful as the franchise has been, seeing Iron Man,Tony Stark, Pepper Potts, Happy Hogan, Obidiah Stane, Iron Monger, Whiplash & Justin Hammer has been a dream come true.
I am not seeing the Avengers for any other reason than Iron man is in it

Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #70
Fudgie
Banned User

This thread title made me think it was official!!!

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #71
Retroman
Side-Kick

IMO this is different from fans clamoring for Gambit or Venom in the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises. Had they not established The Mandarin as a force behind the scenes 'pulling the strings' i don't think it would have been a big issue. I mean Raza, Stane and Hammer were (seemingly) all members of this 10 Rings organisation plus Vanko was broken out of jail by a member. So to me it seems that they've been building towards his appearance in an organic way.

Regardless of who he's playing, Kingsley is a quality addition.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #72
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

I totally get that, but for someone to say that they're not going to watch the movie if Marvel dont go with Mandarin? I just dont get that thinking.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
Retroman
Side-Kick

^^Me neither. Boycotting a movie because of that is a little over the top imo.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 AM   #74
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Why are fans threatening to boycott the film if the director does not use a character he hates, and in such a way as the fans are suggesting where he is stripped of everything that makes him identifiable.

I like the idea of The Ghost.

TheScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #75
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScarecrow View Post
Why are fans threatening to boycott the film if the director does not use a character he hates, and in such a way as the fans are suggesting where he is stripped of everything that makes him identifiable.

I like the idea of The Ghost.
Bit of an exaggeration to say Black "hates" Mandarin. All he said was that the comic book character was a racist cariacature, and anyone who read the earliest appearances of Mandarin damn well knows that's true.

But with the announcement of shooting and co-production taking place in China this summer after they leave Wilmington, it's highly likely that Mandarin *will* play a role in IM3 after all.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote