Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #426
20glyphs
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man: The Game - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey17 View Post
Love the ability to choose the time of day, but Idk why there isn't a simple day/night cycle in the game from the beginning.
I suspect it's because their engine can't handle the dynamic lighting changes for day/night cycles. Web of Shadows and USM didn't have cycles either. If we have the ability to choose a time of day after the story, I might actually like that better since you can choose to stay with a setting for as long as you want.

Assassin's Creed 1 had a good engine but no day/night cycle or nighttime at all. That didn't stop it from being a good engine, and in the next game they added the day/ night cycle.

As for the random missions, I'd like to see some modularity to them instead of just a huge number of different ones. I thought that saving civilians in USM was a good change of pace from just simple combat missions, but they were only in story missions instead of random missions. I think it would be good to have about 10 core types of random mission elements that could be mixed and matched randomly and in response to what you do. There could be a combat module, a stealth module, a police shoot out module, a car chase module, a rescue civilian module and more.

So maybe a random mission starts as a bank robbery with hostages, and if you use stealth you can end the mission that way. But if you choose combat or aren't good enough at stealth, the bad guys might start a car escape that you have to catch up to. Perhaps while the car chase is going on, you have to save a person or two along the way. I think a dynamic system like that might lead to more variety because of the random combination of elements.

I don't have high hopes that we're getting this in TASM, but I think they should try something like that eventually. I like Arkham City a lot, but one downside is there are no random missions or many reasons to keep exploring after you finish everything. There's just combat with prisoners that are always in the same locations. Hopefully TASM offers some gameplay systems that make it fun to just play around after the story is finished. Having a large city and fun swinging system is a big part of that, but so are the random events.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #427
socool
"You Are Not Alone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20glyphs View Post
So maybe a random mission starts as a bank robbery with hostages, and if you use stealth you can end the mission that way. But if you choose combat or aren't good enough at stealth, the bad guys might start a car escape that you have to catch up to. Perhaps while the car chase is going on, you have to save a person or two along the way. I think a dynamic system like that might lead to more variety because of the random combination of elements.
Spider-Man 2 actually had something like this. There would be armored car robberies where the guards were hostages right in the middle of the street. If you didn't take out all the thugs fast enough they would escape in a car which would lead to a car chase. Sometimes they escaped by helicopter and you had to follow that to it's landing point to take out the rest of them. It was pretty fun. I always tried to take them all out in time but never could.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #428
Oscorp
Koloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20glyphs View Post
I suspect it's because their engine can't handle the dynamic lighting changes for day/night cycles. Web of Shadows and USM didn't have cycles either. If we have the ability to choose a time of day after the story, I might actually like that better since you can choose to stay with a setting for as long as you want.

Assassin's Creed 1 had a good engine but no day/night cycle or nighttime at all. That didn't stop it from being a good engine, and in the next game they added the day/ night cycle.

As for the random missions, I'd like to see some modularity to them instead of just a huge number of different ones. I thought that saving civilians in USM was a good change of pace from just simple combat missions, but they were only in story missions instead of random missions. I think it would be good to have about 10 core types of random mission elements that could be mixed and matched randomly and in response to what you do. There could be a combat module, a stealth module, a police shoot out module, a car chase module, a rescue civilian module and more.

I don't have high hopes that we're getting this in TASM, but I think they should try something like that eventually. I like Arkham City a lot, but one downside is there are no random missions or many reasons to keep exploring after you finish everything. There's just combat with prisoners that are always in the same locations. Hopefully TASM offers some gameplay systems that make it fun to just play around after the story is finished. Having a large city and fun swinging system is a big part of that, but so are the random events.
Good post and I agree with everything you said there

Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #429
Resistance61513
Side-Kick

I still want a Spider-Man game that adopts an intricate choice system. I mean after all, that's what Spider-Man primarily boils down to. Making tough decisions/choices. Or, pushing himself to try and please everyone.

I think it would be fun to be fighting thugs in the street. A stray bullet catches a pedestrian and as Spider-Man you have to choose. Do you go after the thugs who are escaping in a car? Or do you attempt to take the injured civilian to the hospital? Or do you try and do everything? Take the injured civilian to the hospital and try and make it back in time to stop the getaway car?

I mean, these missions and their scripting would probably be a little complex. Especially if they are attempting to implement them in a random generation or something. I.E. not scripted/part of the story.

However, if they could pull it off, I think that would be an awesome addition to the Spider-Man game franchise. It would definitely encapsulate the character and his belief system.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #430
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

I think, most of the time, I would go after the bad guy.
Taking a hostage to the hospital and let the bad guys run away could become frustrating after a while, since they would provide more fun (from a gameplay standpoint) and no one else other than you will take them down.
Unless there's plenty of time to do both.

But I never liked taking people to the hospital in past Spidey games anyway. It was never a fun mission, to me.

Last edited by Jick09; 04-14-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #431
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
I think, most of the time, I would go after the bad guy.
Taking a hostage to the hospital and let the bad guys run away could become frustrating after a while, since they would provide more fun (from a gameplay standpoint) and no one else other than you will take them down.
Unless there's plenty of time to do both.

But I never liked taking people to the hospital and past Spidey games anyway. It was never a fun mission, to me.

Personally, I liked those missions but I hated when they became too numerous as well as having to let thugs get away to take someone to the hospital.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #432
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't like choices in a Spider-Man game because Spidey is not really a grey character. He's a good guy through and through he does what is best for the citizens of New York, you take your scenario with the robbers, he'd take the person to the hospital instantly. Thus choice is a system that a Spider-Man game doesn't need.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #433
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I don't like choices in a Spider-Man game because Spidey is not really a grey character. He's a good guy through and through he does what is best for the citizens of New York, you take your scenario with the robbers, he'd take the person to the hospital instantly. Thus choice is a system that a Spider-Man game doesn't need.
....and that's one of the reasons why Web of Shadows is a complete failure.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #434
Spidey_62
Eeeeeeeeeeelectro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
....and that's one of the reasons why Web of Shadows is a complete failure.
Agreed.

"So you don't like names, huh? Well that's too bad, Frog-Face. 'Cause to me you're nothing but a two-bit, no-account, second-rate, sewer-breath-baboon with a brain of a pigeon and the face of an eel!" ~ Spider-Man

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Twitter. Instagram. YouTube. DeviantArt.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #435
ProjectPat2280

Quote:
Well said.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #436
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

I'd kick the thugs hide all over the place then take the wounded to the hospital
The end

Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #437
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Yeah, since when was choice a part of a Spidey game? He's pretty consistently moral. Having to choose between to 'righteous' options would just end up making you feel like you failed in someway or that you can never be a TOTAL hero, which would completely undermine the whole escapism and superhero roleplay that goes with a Spidey game.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #438
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Now I feel like playing Ultimate Spider-Man again, that one has such missions
I can take the fallen to the hospital and ignore beating the thugs if I didn't feel like it, web them and leave

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #439
Oscorp
Koloss

Quote:
Exactly!

And IMO, choices in games are pretty uninteresting overall. Which is why I've never liked RPG games.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #440
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Any chance of subtly choosing?
Like you should give a helping hand to a villain in a fix, but you can skip that villain and go on with the mission without failing

Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #441
ProjectPat2280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Exactly!

And IMO, choices in games are pretty uninteresting overall. Which is why I've never liked RPG games.

You're missing out on too many great games with that mindset.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #442
Oscorp
Koloss

Nah...maybe! If you'd recommend me one great game with that kind of gameplay I'd be thankful but I doubt I'll ever find a game of that kind to be exciting.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #443
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

A bunch of new Tweets from Dee Brown. I'll summarize here:

* After completing the game you are still able to continue to free roam and do side missions.

* At any time, from your apartment, you can restart any indoor mission to try to get 100% completion. Apparently, this unlocks some really cool stuff.

* Some bonus suits will be ones we've seen and there will be new ones added. He couldn't comment on the exact number.

* There will be a nice mix fof well-known villains and obscure ones.

* Spidey will be able to perform his iconic upside down pose, although he didn't mention when or how.

* Will not be able to web thugs to light poles but will be able to web them to walls, floors, and ceilings.

* Spidey's "spider sense" will trigger automatically when impending danger is present.

* Web swinging will not be upgradeable, but rather all his prowess in this ability will be available from start of the game.

* Web rush is introduced to the player at the beginning of the game and new uses of it are introduced as the game progresses.

* Photo missions will involve looking for clues around the city, among other things.

* Stealth takedowns will have upgrades available.

* Spidey aids the police during the game but the police are never "after" him.

* Concept art unlocked via photo missions

* Combat highly resembles Arkham but with some differences and includes Signature Takedowns/Moves.

* They are working on getting us (fans) a uncut trailer showcasing Web Rush and Combat. No release date on this as of yet.

* Engine for the game was reworked to make this the best looking Spiderman game to date.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #444
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Nah...maybe! If you'd recommend me one great game with that kind of gameplay I'd be thankful but I doubt I'll ever find a game of that kind to be exciting.
InFAMOUS, my friend.
Amazing choice system where the right and wrong, sometimes, are really in a grey area. Besides, your choices actually affect the story of the game, having main characters acting differently towards you and having a different ending.

Also, it's not a RPG game, which I'm not a fan either. It's an action game.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #445
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
InFAMOUS, my friend.
Amazing choice system where the right and wrong, sometimes, are really in a grey area. Besides, your choices actually affect the story of the game, having main characters acting differently towards you and having a different ending.

Ya, but what's the incentive or payoff for being an 'evil' Spiderman? Hard to make a choice system in this kind of game. Whether you need to save a citizen or chase the bad guys, what are the actual repercussions of doing one versus the other?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #446
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
A bunch of new Tweets from Dee Brown. I'll summarize here:

* After completing the game you are still able to continue to free roam and do side missions.
New Game+? Choose level? Available?

Quote:
* At any time, from your apartment, you can restart any indoor mission to try to get 100% completion. Apparently, this unlocks some really cool stuff.
Cool feature, what about exterior missions? Where can one restart them from?

Quote:
* Some bonus suits will be ones we've seen and there will be new ones added. He couldn't comment on the exact number.
I didn't see them, which costumes are those he spoke of?

Quote:
* There will be a nice mix fof well-known villains and obscure ones.
That's nice, we know Rhino and Iguana right now
Would love to see great use for the rest

Quote:
* Spidey will be able to perform his iconic upside down pose, although he didn't mention when or how.
The yoyo? Cool

Quote:
* Will not be able to web thugs to light poles but will be able to web them to walls, floors, and ceilings.
Cool additions, still, I wish I could web them to light poles

Quote:
* Spidey's "spider sense" will trigger automatically when impending danger is present.
Various indicators or only one? Dodging and counter or dodging alone?

Quote:
* Web swinging will not be upgradeable, but rather all his prowess in this ability will be available from start of the game.
So that means no "in game upgrade for swinging"?

Quote:
* Web rush is introduced to the player at the beginning of the game and new uses of it are introduced as the game progresses.
What?

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
* Photo missions will involve looking for clues around the city, among other things.

* Stealth takedowns will have upgrades available.

* Spidey aids the police during the game but the police are never "after" him.

* Concept art unlocked via photo missions

* They are working on getting us (fans) a uncut trailer showcasing Web Rush and Combat. No release date on this as of yet.

* Engine for the game was reworked to make this the best looking Spiderman game to date.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #447
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
InFAMOUS, my friend.

It's one of the games that let him down, he like locomotion more than anything else there

Maybe the sequel would surprise you Oscorp, it surprised jacobed

Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #448
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Ya, but what's the incentive or payoff for being an 'evil' Spiderman? Hard to make a choice system in this kind of game. Whether you need to save a citizen or chase the bad guys, what are the actual repercussions of doing one versus the other?
Why you're asking me this? I don't want a choice system for Spider-Man.
He's not an ambiguous hero like Cole in InFamous. It works wonderfully there. Here, it's another story.

This isn't needed in a Spidey game and there are other things they could add before they even think about it.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #449
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

When he says 'costumes we've seen' he's obviously referring to previous games.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #450
Spider-Aziz
Greatest Hulk Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Choosing the evil side rewards you with more view of Black Cat's arse and ta-tas?

:S game, game

Closed Thread