The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #401
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Superheroes Movies - Part 2

Movie version of course , we don't need to ruin entertainment with historical accurateness.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 04-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #402
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
Movie version of course , we don't need to ruin entertainment with historical accurateness.
In that case Nat Turner was 7ft tall shoot lasers out his eyes and could fly

Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #403
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Nat Turner was the one who made Abraham Lincoln free the slaves. He kung fu'd his way to the White House and demanded that his people be set free! Lincoln had no choice but to oblige after taking a few roundhouses to the head.

That would be about as entertaining and accurate as a ton of those ancient war movies I've been sick of like Braveheart.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #404
Paradox1
Side-Kick

If Abraham Lincoln could become a vampire hunter I could believe Nat Turner Karate Choped Lincoln into freeing the slaves.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #405
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Nat Turner was the Black Dynamite of the 19th Century.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #406
ShredderX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Nat Turner was the Black Dynamite of the 19th Century.
LOL , thats funny as hell dude. Sad thing is, thats probably the only version of a Nat Turner film that Hollywood would probably greenlight.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #407
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Black guys using their intellect to solve their problems is so boring. ****ing up *****s gangsta style is what we wanna see.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #408
baerrtt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Yeah I agree. Someone else mentioned that its seemed to regressed for leading man roles for black actors.

Even Danny Glover got to be a leading man in movies like Predator 2 black in the 80s/90s.

I've been hoping Prometheus and Pacific Rim are huge so Idris Elba might be Hollywoods next leading black man. Him taking over the Alex Cross role from Morgan Freeman didn't work out.

Sadly as talented as Anthony Mackie is his probably going to end up like Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle continually in supporting roles in the big studio movies.
Hence my point. If things back during the period I mentioned were like the way things are now no young black actor would have ever been considered for the leads in INDEPENDENCE DAY or MEN IN BLACK, Denzel would have remained, like Mackie, a co star to white leads and BLADE would never get the greenlight (unless Will, Denzel or probably Dwayne Johnson showed interest) today.

As Elba replaced Tom Cruise of all people in PACIFIC RIM I would look to that next year as proof whether or not he can be THE guy.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #409
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Yikes, I didn't really think about the diminishing black leads since the 80s. I knew it was sadly happening, but it didn't click that it was this bad now.

Oh yea, a little interesting thing. I was talking to my sister last Sunday about Mr. T and we were musing that if his character was established today rather than the 70s/80s he'd be bitterly laughed away by the audience.

I don't think the media would like a big tough guy who encourages kids to stay in school, treat their momma right, be afraid of flying and drink milk. Even if he threw people around a hell of a lot and had an awesome van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
On the subject of black leads, I do like that two games that are about to come out, Starhawk and Prototype 2, feature some non-stereotypical black leads.
I can't even tell you how excited I was when I saw this. I talked my sister's ear off about this.

They not only made Heller not stereotypical (he's not a gangsta thank you God, but a military man) but a caring family man, and plus, he just looks freakin' cool in everything he does.

I'm hoping that this and StarHawk are the start of some new movement that gives us action heroes who aren't just white and stubbley (refence to old video game article heh). Also, the fact that its in the Science Fiction genre makes me happy. Not only do I love this particular brand, but it has so much potential for all sorts of people who star in it, that there's little excuse to make with the tired stereotypes. Heck, if the games are successful, why not try similar putting "unconventional leads" in movies as well?

Why can't we have a space horror story with a variety of people of colour? I think it would be really cool to see a Black female scientist who's got a jovial Hank McCoy-like personality rather than being relegated to the potential ethnic love interest/flirtation for the stereotypical hero, or the damsel that needs to be saved.

What about a young protagonist who's the Peter Parker? A young man thrown into a crazy world, and he's learning the ropes of his new bizarre life as you progress through the game?

I dunno, I'm just wanting to see so much more.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #410
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'd love to know how much a black protagonist hurts or helps video game sales.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #411
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by baerrtt View Post
Hence my point. If things back during the period I mentioned were like the way things are now no young black actor would have ever been considered for the leads in INDEPENDENCE DAY or MEN IN BLACK, Denzel would have remained, like Mackie, a co star to white leads and BLADE would never get the greenlight (unless Will, Denzel or probably Dwayne Johnson showed interest) today.

As Elba replaced Tom Cruise of all people in PACIFIC RIM I would look to that next year as proof whether or not he can be THE guy.
Elba is a boss

Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #412
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I'd love to know how much a black protagonist hurts or helps video game sales.
Here's hoping people just take it at face value; you like the game? Don't like it? Don't focus on the protagonist's ethnicty/skin colour/whatnot, focus on the shortcomings of the game itself. It's like how in Hollywood every time there's a movie that does something "unconventional" like have a protagonist who's a woman or films that star People of Colour, and it does badly or underperforms it's because of the "unconventional" choice. It's a strange rush to judgement that I wish would stop on the HOllywood exec's part.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #413
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

I like to think that you can sell any kind of video game if it gets enough hype and looks fun. Games are one of the most popular forms of entertainment right now, but there is a lot of room for new games to be popular unlike with movies. With movies Hollywood is stuck in the same mold, and trying new stuff just doesn't happen as often as it should because studios are afraid to commit to something new unless some star backs it. With games you could sell 500,000 to a million copies of a game without much of fanfare based on good word of mouth and reviews. Gamers are willing to try new things, and the way you hear about new games isn't limited the way movies are. With a movie you need commercials and a ton of money just to get the word out there. With a game you can get some really good reviews and drive some good sales that way.

You also have to consider that gamers actively pursue information on new games while movie goers just sit back and take all their info from commercials. Most people watching movies in the theater probably don't go out and check on the progress the same way gamers do. I'm hoping that this leads to the inclusion of a bigger variety of black protagonists in games. No one has really tried it yet because a lot of people are stuck on things, but I bet the market would respond well to black leads in video games. Would Gears of War has sold as much if Marcus was black? I'd like to think so in sort of a naive way.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #414
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

"My real life sucks. When I come home and play games, I don't want to be a black guy."

A paraphrased quote from somebody on a gaming message board a while back. So yeah, there are definitely those who will have a problem with black protagonists in a game, but I've no idea how widespread that type of mentality is.

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #415
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

^We should find that guy and make R. Kelly fart in his dinner.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #416
terry78

Basically when it comes to entertainment, white is the default. It just is. We as black/latin/asian guys don't ***** about having to play as a white character or viewing a flick with a white protagonist, because that's just how it's done. Vice versa though, that's just pandering and trying to politically correct.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #417
roach
I am the night

I am currently planning a spec-reel for Black Panther the way Kevin Tancharoen did for Mortal Kombat

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #418
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

GTA San Andreas sold over 20 million copies with a black protagonist. So it is possible for such games to be embraced by the masses.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #419
Paradox1
Side-Kick

As a guy who makes video games I'd like to think video games are a different animal compared to movies. Gameplay is still king in the minds of most gamers no matter who the protagonist is. I'm working on my own video game project I'll drop some 3d renders of my main characters who is black.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #420
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

People brought that game because of the popularity of the franchise not because they cared about the protagonist.

Its not like Shepard, Lara Croft or Mario. You could have anyone be the main character.

I think it would be different if they built a franchise around a black lead character like Solid Snake.

Last edited by chamber-music; 04-15-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #421
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Well with Shepard he/she looks the way you want him/her to, but the stock footage is a white guy while the female stock footage is a white woman. That's one of the reasons why I'm against a Mass Effect movie. I've only seen Shepard the way that I've created him. Looking at some actor playing him just wouldn't feel right, even if he looked the way I made mine. Plus the whole draw of the series is making decisions. You can't do that with a movie.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #422
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Black guys using their intellect to solve their problems is so boring. ****ing up *****s gangsta style is what we wanna see.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #423
Anubis
Sup?

Sarcasm achieved.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #424
ShredderX
Side-Kick

DC is cancelling " Static Shock " from it's " New 52 " line after issue 8. Guess we'll never see a Static movie.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #425
terry78

Dishonoring Dwayne McDuffie by doing this.

Closed Thread