The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!
 
Smashlilman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,783
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

This is thread is my new home the other threads are staring to get tricky to navagate. Rock Sexton I love that review. Now i really want to see this movie.

__________________
Quote:
What is the most indestructable thing in the avengers? Ironman's suit, Captain America's Shield, or Thor's Hammer? The correct answer is Hulk's Pants

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #27
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,596
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Marvel needs to lock Whedon up like WB has done with Nolan.
The thing is, Nolan isn't locked up with WB. He's free to go wherever he wants with his projects. He always goes back to WB because they treat him right and he has a great working relationship with them. It's loyalty.

Marvel's had something of a spotty track-record with their relationships with "the talent," so I hope they treat Whedon right. Lord knows he's never gotten much respect from studios in the past. All they have to do is treat him well (both financially and trusting him creatively), and he'll probably be thankful enough to stick with them forever, lol.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Vulklin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 426
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Have a look at this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/


Vulklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
Marvel
Side-Kick
 
Marvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,057
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
My mind was officially blown to smithereens this morning. I pretty much still need a whole day to allow all the awesomeness (which is boiled over in my head like suds in an over-filled washing machine) to settle. Guys, Whedon re-shaped how you do comic book movies. I got out of the film absolutely beaming. I think the guys at 93.3 KDKB got a kick out of me when they interviewed me about my reaction to the film. Wow ....just wow. I'm trying to figure out how to describe my experience so bare with me.

As one can expect from Whedon, he was on point with the dialogue. His natural sense for wit and timing really brings these characters to life in ways you haven't seen. After seeing Cabin in the Woods last weekend, I knew we were going to get a good amount of one-lines for laughter. I can't even recall how many there were .... in fact we're going to need a thread just to discuss all of our favorite ones once you all have seen the film. Stark brings the heat in that regard. He's probably landed 75% of them. LOL. Joss understands that the comedy is essential to get people loosened up, especially when you've got many outlandish elements. As far as the cinematography, I was concerned beforehand. Rest easy guys. So many beautiful shots. The pictures you've seen do not do this movie any justice. The transitions when they're fighting the alien horde were top notch.

In a film with multiple superheroes they had to figure out a way to stretch these guys thin like a 3 year old rubber band about to snap. Objective achieved guys. It was done in two-fold fashion. After you get thru the first act of being reintroduced to your players, the 2nd half is chalk full of tension tension tension. It's at this point everyone is pretty much sick and tired of each other (making Loki a happy man) .... guys are squabbling, Cap is baiting Stark ...... and then the real mayhem breaks loose.

The third act is every bit the "war" film Whedon wanted to make. The action just keeps coming .... it has to, because again the heroes need to be overwhelmed to raise the stakes. So you went from them being mentally exhausted with each other, to now being nearly physically exhausted in battle ..... having to reach for that last ounce of effort to overcome.

Ever hero in this film got a legitimate chance to shine. Whedon really knew how to pass the baton in that regard. Heck, I even liked Evans' Cap instead of just kind of having to put up with him in his solo film ..... that's all due to Joss. When being pressed for who shined the most, I can honestly say that is a truly tricky question. They are going to have a tough time going back to the solo films after the treatment all these guys got. BTW, the Loki in this film is every bit the Loki we deserved to see ..... powerful, wretched, scheming, and down right bad mofo.

So many iconic moments ..... essentially there might be some complaints about the duration of certain inter-hero spats, but that's only because you never want it to end ..... hell, I never wanted the movie to end period. I can't wait for you guys to see the Thor-Hulk fight/interactions because Whedon put a nice little cherry on top when they're fighting the aliens. Speaking of the Hulk it took some time into the movie for me to get adjusted to Ruffalo, but I give him credit. He worked out just fine in an ensemble kind of way. The Hulk was beautiful. What else was there to expect really with technology having improved significantly since the last version. He's far more ape-ish in this one. Just wait till you see him meet the flying snake thing for the first time.

Man ..... seriously can't wait to see this again. I have a few complaints, but the rest of the movie is so good that it really doesn't matter. I thought the first act sort of shoe-horned in Loki/Thor a little bit. I was curious if they would show where he's been ..... they did, but it needed just a few more moments to develop. I also struggled with the 3D a bit.

I was blessed today. That's all I can say ...... well that and the end credits gave me my other wish. Anyone who's read my posts on this site know what/whom I've been asking for.

9.5 out of 10 ..... I can't say 10 because no movie is ever flawless in my opinion, but this one got close enough for it's genre.
THIS review should be posted on IMDB as well. You need to get an account. I love it when real people that have actually seen a film posts a true reaction. Thanks.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 47,914
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
My mind was officially blown to smithereens this morning. I pretty much still need a whole day to allow all the awesomeness (which is boiled over in my head like suds in an over-filled washing machine) to settle. Guys, Whedon re-shaped how you do comic book movies. I got out of the film absolutely beaming. I think the guys at 93.3 KDKB got a kick out of me when they interviewed me about my reaction to the film. Wow ....just wow. I'm trying to figure out how to describe my experience so bare with me.

As one can expect from Whedon, he was on point with the dialogue. His natural sense for wit and timing really brings these characters to life in ways you haven't seen. After seeing Cabin in the Woods last weekend, I knew we were going to get a good amount of one-lines for laughter. I can't even recall how many there were .... in fact we're going to need a thread just to discuss all of our favorite ones once you all have seen the film. Stark brings the heat in that regard. He's probably landed 75% of them. LOL. Joss understands that the comedy is essential to get people loosened up, especially when you've got many outlandish elements. As far as the cinematography, I was concerned beforehand. Rest easy guys. So many beautiful shots. The pictures you've seen do not do this movie any justice. The transitions when they're fighting the alien horde were top notch.

In a film with multiple superheroes they had to figure out a way to stretch these guys thin like a 3 year old rubber band about to snap. Objective achieved guys. It was done in two-fold fashion. After you get thru the first act of being reintroduced to your players, the 2nd half is chalk full of tension tension tension. It's at this point everyone is pretty much sick and tired of each other (making Loki a happy man) .... guys are squabbling, Cap is baiting Stark ...... and then the real mayhem breaks loose.

The third act is every bit the "war" film Whedon wanted to make. The action just keeps coming .... it has to, because again the heroes need to be overwhelmed to raise the stakes. So you went from them being mentally exhausted with each other, to now being nearly physically exhausted in battle ..... having to reach for that last ounce of effort to overcome.

Ever hero in this film got a legitimate chance to shine. Whedon really knew how to pass the baton in that regard. Heck, I even liked Evans' Cap instead of just kind of having to put up with him in his solo film ..... that's all due to Joss. When being pressed for who shined the most, I can honestly say that is a truly tricky question. They are going to have a tough time going back to the solo films after the treatment all these guys got. BTW, the Loki in this film is every bit the Loki we deserved to see ..... powerful, wretched, scheming, and down right bad mofo.

So many iconic moments ..... essentially there might be some complaints about the duration of certain inter-hero spats, but that's only because you never want it to end ..... hell, I never wanted the movie to end period. I can't wait for you guys to see the Thor-Hulk fight/interactions because Whedon put a nice little cherry on top when they're fighting the aliens. Speaking of the Hulk it took some time into the movie for me to get adjusted to Ruffalo, but I give him credit. He worked out just fine in an ensemble kind of way. The Hulk was beautiful. What else was there to expect really with technology having improved significantly since the last version. He's far more ape-ish in this one. Just wait till you see him meet the flying snake thing for the first time.

Man ..... seriously can't wait to see this again. I have a few complaints, but the rest of the movie is so good that it really doesn't matter. I thought the first act sort of shoe-horned in Loki/Thor a little bit. I was curious if they would show where he's been ..... they did, but it needed just a few more moments to develop. I also struggled with the 3D a bit.

I was blessed today. That's all I can say ...... well that and the end credits gave me my other wish. Anyone who's read my posts on this site know what/whom I've been asking for.

9.5 out of 10 ..... I can't say 10 because no movie is ever flawless in my opinion, but this one got close enough for it's genre.
Wow!!!

Thanks for that dude

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,669
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
THIS review should be posted on IMDB as well. You need to get an account. I love it when real people that have actually seen a film posts a true reaction. Thanks.
I second that

__________________
Movies I have seen this year:
Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #32
Dave40
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 171
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
I second that
Me too.I agree 100%.

Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #33
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
When being pressed for who shined the most, I can honestly say that is a truly tricky question.
I'm just now noticing this part of the review, I'm very glad to hear that because so far just about everyone has been saying Hulk shined the most.

Hulk is great and I have nothing against him, it's just finally good to hear that everyone shined in the film.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #34
nightwing06
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,564
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

The Avengers is that rare/comic book/action film,that not only provides exciting and fun action sequences,but also pulled me in emotionally with its provition of backstory and view of the inner demons of the colorful characters that inhabit this nearly perfect film.

Director/writer Joss Whedon deserves praise for doing his homework on some of the most popular characters in the world.He puts the nature,spirit and mannerisms i love about the characters on the big screen
Each character is given multiple times to shine Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark / Iron Man,Chris Evans as Steve Rogers / Captain America,Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner / Hulk,Chris Hemsworth as Thor,Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton / Hawkeye,Tom Hiddleston as Loki,Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury,Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill,Clark Gregg as Phil Coulson,and Gwyneth Paltrow
as Pepper Potts
A lot of other films have attempted to put a ton of characters in a film which resulted in an overpopulated film, in which i ended up not caring for the characters and i felt the studio behind the film was just looking for action figure and Happy Meal money.
The Avengers is the complete opposite of the aforementioned.
Whedon also gets better performances from the cast,far better than what was displayed in the connecting Marvel films that lead to The Avengers.He lets the characters get under each other's skin,they not only poke fun at each other
but each character has their own Self-deprecating moments

There are revelations and surprises that are the icing on the cake of this fun film.
It has some flaws,the standout is that it borrows a bit from a couple of popular
Sci-Fi films.
Other than that everything else works just the right amount of romance,humor,and action.
If you are a Marvel super fan,casual fan or just a lover of action films,if you dont have fun with this film,check your pulse because you may be dead!!
I truly hope Whedon returns to direct the second ,third ,fourth Avengers film...yes im thinking ahead but thats how much i loved this movie
Scale of 1-10 a 9

Sidenote
Security was so tight for this screening,cell phones,and laptops,any type of recording device was collected plus i was waved with a metal detector and security scanned the crowd with nightvision.Sure it was annoying but i think Marvel/Disney just want people to experience the film they way it should be on the big screen!!!

nightwing06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #35
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
9.5 out of 10 ..... I can't say 10 because no movie is ever flawless in my opinion, but this one got close enough for it's genre.
Thanks for the review, it didn't help the wait but it was fun to read. Just a note on the grade though. I can agree that no movie will ever be flawless but doesn't that make it a bit pointless to have the score of 10 to represent 'flawless'? To me that's just throwing away a grade on the scale because it could by definition never be used.

Mjölnir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #36
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

I forgot to ask about the 3D. Regardless of what you think of 3D in general (I'm not convinced myself), how well do you think TA used the technique compared to other 3D movies?

Mjölnir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #37
eleventhirty8
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Hi folks, never posted in here before but thought you might like to see this review from a site called london film fanatiq.



I think I'm going to try and bury my head in the sand till the Uk release, I dont really want to know any more but am really glad to hear the positive reviews so far.



With less than two weeks until its UK release, Marvel’s The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble, as it’s needlessly being touted in this land) is just about ready for release. Why just about? Well, last night’s “fan screening” was presented in glorious 2D, so this review won’t be able to offer any insight into how effective the 3D version is or isn’t. Then there’s that extra scene Robert Downey Jr mentioned that was to be shot following the premiere. Still, with 99% off the pieces in place, it’s easy enough to make a call on Joss Whedon’s super super-hero film The Avengers.

The Avengers assembles at UK cinemas 26 April

Bringing together an all-star cast of characters with an all-star cast of actors was never going to be an enviable task, yet writer/director Whedon manages to make it look easy across the 2+ hour run-time. It would certainly behoove the viewer to have seen the films that have led to The Avengers, especially Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America: The First Avenger as little time is spent re-introducing the central figures, as Whedon focuses on continuing their stories and their personal growth. A great example of this is seen in Thor’s (Chris Hemsworth) response to the new threat posed in The Avengers by his embittered brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston). In the spirit of teamwork, here’s a look at how The Avengers work once they’re assembled.

Iron Man/Tony Stark: It was expected that The Avengers would become the Robert Downey Jr show and while his charisma stands head and shoulders above his colleagues, Stark does not dominate the proceedings. It’s the nature of his character that enables him to get the sharpest one-liners, but in numerous ways Iron Man meets his equals in the Avengers and Whedon has ensured that Downey Jr doesn’t overshadow the rest of his cast.
Thor: Despite a late introduction into The Avengers, he makes a quick impact. His scenes with Loki directly continue their conflict from 2011’s Thor and portray a more mature, humble god of thunder. Hemsworth is as good, if not better than he was in his debut in the role. He also gets what may be the film’s best one-liner, though there is stiff competition from Stark in that race.
Captain America: Without much time to spend on how Steve Rogers is adjusting to the culture shock of the 21st century, Chris Evans spends most of his time taking charge as a tactical field general whilst Cap displays an assured confidence, playing a key role in truly bringing the Avengers together. Thankfully, along the way, there are some fun asides playing up his anachronistic origins.
Hawkeye/Clint Barton: Lacking his own feature film to set the stage, Jeremy Renner was at risk of being lost in the background as the sharp-eyed archer. However, a masterstroke by Whedon early in the game ensures that Barton is a significant player throughout the plot. Without super powers, the success of the character is largely on Renner’s shoulders and he provides a captivating performance that helps to even the playing field for Hawkeye amongst the stacked cast.
Black Widow/Natasha Romanoff: The most minor role of the Avengers here, Scarlett Johansson makes the most of what is asked of her, even when it borders on the absurd (such as her opening scene) or firmly eclipses it (a hijack sequence later in the film). The highlight is a terrific exchange with Hiddleston that hits the mark spectacularly.
That finally leaves Bruce Banner and his alter-ego The Hulk. As the third actor to fill the good doctor’s shoes in as many films, Mark Ruffalo knocks it out of the proverbial park. His Banner is entirely compelling and the rapport he has with fellow science geek Stark provides some of the The Avergers’ most engaging scenes. It’s enough to crave a pairing of the two in a future film. The flip side of that is how the character of The Hulk still seems to present problems to film-makers, even Joss Whedon. There are some serious plot inconsistencies here that detract from the enjoyability of The Hulk. Can Banner control his monstrous side? Whedon himself doesn’t seem to be sure and utilises the character as is convenient to the plot. The uneven presentation is frustrating, to say the least. Still, there’s a lot of fun to be had in watching The Hulk do what he does best and he gets a brutally brilliant, laugh-out-loud moment in the final act that bears repeated viewings.
Of course, Tom Hiddleston’s Loki deserves mention. If he was good in Thor, Hiddleston is fabulous here. Brimming with snide arrogance, Loki appears to be savouring each tiny detail of his plan as it unfolds. Watching Hiddleston sink his teeth into the role is an absolute thing of beauty.
Then there’s the story itself. There’s a lot going on here but Whedon proves himself to be a master of balance and it comes off remarkably well. Internal conflict is rife in the first two acts and enables The Avengers to be highly entertaining when the focus isn’t on the set pieces. By the final act, all hell breaks loose and it provides a near overdose of action. The effects look superb and it’s an absolute blast even if there are some plot holes of concern. Not to be forgotten is the comedic side of The Avengers. As loosely referred to above, the film’s frequent attempts at humour deliver each and every time and do so without disrupting the tone of the plot. It’s a real triumph.
Full of vibrant colours and a shiny blockbuster gloss, The Avengers is a visual treat that delivers a fantastic, slightly flawed, comic book story on the big screen. Whedon deserves a floating-boatload of credit for managing to balance the screen time of the individual Avengers (plus Samuel L Jackson’s excellent SHIELD director Nick Fury and Clark Gregg’s reliable Agent Coulson) and tying in elements of the previous films along with other Marvel comic references. With plenty of action and an abundance of laughs to be had, The Avengers is the definitive popcorn flick of 2012. 8.5/10

eleventhirty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #38
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick
 
Shadowlord X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Welcome eleventhirty8.

Thanx for that although I read it already.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #39
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,816
Default Re: The Avengers Review Thread (non-spoilers)

Thanks for that review. As a big Thor fan I was intrigued by this quote. I hadn't expected him to reach those heights, but it definitely sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventhirty8 View Post
He also gets what may be the film’s best one-liner, though there is stiff competition from Stark in that race.

Mjölnir is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.