Default Re: The Witcher 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Tomorrow!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #105
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Hahah I'm not up for learning the combat, I got rocked during the final waves of the tutorial... so I'm playing on easy.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #106
jacobed
Banned User

on games like this I always play on easy because I like to get involved in the story and like to play it as a movie the first time through

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #107
Soapy
It's happening again...

I don't really understand the logic behind that. I don't think the difficulty setting affects the story does it?

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #108
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

I think there's a difficulty that opens up new quests but aside from that, nah. After playing Kingdoms of Amalur for so long it's hard to switch up to this lol, it's basically the same kind of fighting but a lot slower and tougher.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #109
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I don't really understand the logic behind that. I don't think the difficulty setting affects the story does it?
I guess the thinking is someone doesnt want to struggle through the combat? Having to reload the game multiple times because they can't beat a section? IDK, i rarely play games on easy, most of them i play on normal/hard.

So i got tired of waiting around for UPS to deliver my game, so i went to target to pick it up. As i was leaving the store UPS sent me a text stating my game was delivered. However, Target had the game for 10 bux cheaper than Amazon. For once my impatience payed off.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 04-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #110
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
No but it can get in the way of it. Nothing like getting stuck on something boring to break the momentum of a story.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #111
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
I don't like getting frustrated or stuck the first time I play so I play on easy so I can enjoy the story without problems then ill replay it on the hardest difficulty.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #112
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Usually, I play on Normal. If it's a game I'm going to replay (like this one) then I'll play the next playthrough on the harder difficulty.

Which is interesting about this game, because supposedly in Dark Mode (which I believe is supposed to be the hardest difficulty) there are exclusive weapons and gear for that mode, like "Dark" (cursed) swords that have positive and negative effects. And extras quests. So, that's a nice incentive, aside from the 100% achievement carrot.

The things I've read about this game's combat, it sounds like a combat system I really want to learn and try to master. I'm so used to button mashing when it comes to combat, so the concept of Geralt being successful at combat relying mostly on my skill...sounds like something that could be really satisfying.

And man, UPS just delivered The Dark Edition. What great packaging. I haven't felt this satisfied with a Collector's Edition in a long time. I really think they went all out with the $100 I spent. The Wolf's Head Witcher Medallion is pretty weighty, doesn't feel cheap at all. The artbook is thick and has a ton of pages. The Making Of DVD, atleast from the chapters listing on the back, looks like it's got alot of content to look through. The box has a neat three dimensional wolf's head looking at you.

I think the rest comes with the regular enhanced edition, like the map, the quest handbook (which I'm pretty sure is actually a strategy guide for the game, minus pretty pictures) and the soundtrack (an actual audio cd, and not a download code) and the wolf head's keychain that I got for pre-ordering it.

I have to wait to play it tonight when I get home, but I'm really, really happy with the packaging and everything they packed in for the price. I mean, I've heard of how CDPR does right by their fans...but yeah, it looks like they're rep for doing right is well earned. Just seems really well put together, and well crafted stuff.

Last edited by ChrisBaleBatman; 04-18-2012 at 01:51 PM.
ChrisBaleBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #113
Soapy
It's happening again...

I'm kind of the opposite. I want the real game experience my first time through. Whenever I replay a game I tend to turn the difficulty down* because I'm playing it solely for the story at that point.

*Unless the gameplay is really really good, and well designed and well balanced, and just fun to play. Which is unfortunately not the case with most games these days.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #114
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
The things I've read about this game's combat, it sounds like a combat system I really want to learn and try to master. I'm so used to button mashing when it comes to combat, so the concept of Geralt being successful at combat relying mostly on my skill...sounds like something that could be really satisfying.
The combat is definitely something I want to get to learn because of how much stuff factors into battles. I'm experimenting with potions even though battles are mostly just swordplay and I love setting traps, parrying so I can throw daggers at enemies coming from afar, fluidly taking on multiple targets by toggling the lock-on... it's very cool. I can't wait 'til I get to fight the supernatural creatures.

I'm jealous that you got the CE lol, I want that amulet. Anyways about 4 hours deep and I've barely done anything. Just been playing dice, brawling and arm wrestling... I hate dice poker but the gambler in me can't stay away.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #115
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

It does kinda depend on the game. Sometimes, Normal is actually the Easy setting. I don't think I've played a Halo game on normal, for example, since the first one on Xbox.

Although, when I play a game for the first time...it's pretty much for the story, I kinda approach the other stuff, like combat, etc. as sort of secondary things I might want to get the hang of or something...and sort of build up from there.

If I know I'll replay the game, that is. Something like Splinter Cell, Batman, Metal Gear, Mass Effect...I feel more comfortable upping the difficulty on subsequent playthroughs. Just a habit really.

Although...I'm wondering if starting this game on Hard (not Dark) might be the way to go. The manual says, "Hard- For experienced gamers. Opponents deal high damage, and it's harder to acquire items. Many battles require the use of a sword, magic and alchemy."

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #116
Soapy
It's happening again...

Even on normal the combat can be fairly challenging and I'm still in the very early stages of the game. If you think you're up to the challenge though, go for it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #117
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea the game can kick your ass even on Normal. Iv died like a billion times already and I'm just near the end of Act 1. I wouldn't suggest jumping right in to hard. Maybe raise the difficulty once you've got the hang of combat and have some added skills.

Love the game so far. All i can really say about it is, Triss...holy s**t.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #118
Soapy
It's happening again...

I actually haven't died all that much. It's sort of like Dark Souls in that mostly the only time I die is when I get too greedy or impatient and try to bite off more than I can chew.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #119
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea the game can kick your ass even on Normal. Iv died like a billion times already and I'm just near the end of Act 1. I wouldn't suggest jumping right in to hard. Maybe raise the difficulty once you've got the hang of combat and have some added skills.

Love the game so far. All i can really say about it is, Triss...holy s**t.
Nice! Can't wait to get it.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #120
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I actually haven't died all that much. It's sort of like Dark Souls in that mostly the only time I die is when I get too greedy or impatient and try to bite off more than I can chew.
Yea and to be honest, thats when i die as well, when i get greedy. My dumb self just keeps doing it. I keep trying to run in to a pack of monsters and i get chopped up. I rush things.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 04-20-2012 at 03:33 PM.
ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 AM   #121
jacobed
Banned User

Did any of you go with Roche at the end of Chapter 1?

Old 04-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #122
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Did any of you go with Roche at the end of Chapter 1?
I debated that one for a while, ended up going with Iorveth though.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #123
jacobed
Banned User

I did too and I'm not a huge fan of the Dwarven community, very confusing at first.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #124
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero

Man, Pat...you weren't joking about Triss.

Greatest beginning to any game. Ever. I was almost jealous of how Roache hit on her at the beginning of Chapter 1...but it's understandable really. Atleast, roleplaying as Geralt. Seems like they totally nailed Geralt as a character, too, from how much I've played and how much of "The Last Wish" I've read. Which is impressive because we can choose how to approach things.

And, I was really getting wrecked in combat at first. Enough so that I replayed the tutorial again a second time. But I've gotten the hang of it. You guys are right, so far when I've gotten killed...it's been my own fault. I'm enjoying preparing for battles with the Alchemy involved by preparing potions and stuff.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #125
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I just finished the game. Loved it. My only complaint is that the story, for me anyway, wasn't conducive to side quests. I just didn't feel like Geralt would be doing all these side missions while the bigger issues were surrounding him. I had the same problem in Mass Effect. Thats it tho, thats as far as my complaints really go. I love Geralt and the rest of the cast. Cant wait to see where things go in the 3rd game