The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #301
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

Default Re: AVENGERS Post-Screening Reactions - NO SPOILERS!!!

this is a spoiler-free review thread. the reactions thread is the sticky at the top. so please if you have a review post it in here!

‎ Part of the beauty of Spider-Man is he's covered head to toe, you can't see his skin colour or sexual orientation, and what's important is that he's a hero. He stands for the underdog and those that need protecting." - Andrew Garfield
Doctor: Ooh baby I'm beating out a samba!
Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #302
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Has this been posted yet?
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #303
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
Yeah, Im a Marvel guy EXCEPT I LOVE Batman. Aside from Batman, I really don't care for DC. That said all the Marvel vs DC stuff is just straight up annoying from both sides. I hate reading snide comments about the MCU over at TDKR forum and I hate reading snide comments about TDK over here. Its fine if you don't like the film, but no need to overly bash it.I realize it is annoying when TDK is brought up so often to some of the Marvel guys, but they have to realize that the majority of critics and the GA (and many fans here) see it as the best comic film and every comic film must be measured by it. Once can simply say "I didn't like TDK" or DC guys can simply say "I don't like the MCU". No need for all the extra nonsense.
I don't hate DC ( in principle ), and I certainly liked both Nolan Bat films. And I'd dearly love for DC to make some decent movies other than Batman. I just try to be realistic about the quality they have produced, and the challenges in the way of some of their suggested future works.

In some circles, this makes me a hater, apparently. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #304
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
You saw the movie?
Not yet, just wanting to know ahead of time.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #305
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Any who, is anybody else having a hard time not watching all these clips? I've watched most of them but I'm trying to hold myself back and not spoil myself too much, but man it's not easy. I really don't want to wait two weeks
I haven't watched any tv spots or clips and I haven't seen any of the trailers in a couple of weeks. My desire to see TA as fresh as possible for maximum impact is more than my desire to cave and watch anytthing I can gets my hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheri Curl View Post
I heard the embargo for UK reviewers ends this Friday.
Yeah, looks like it. Probably goes for Ireland, too. And probably for any other country where it's released next week.

I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it does to leave me alone? - Bill Hicks
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #306
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Those who live in the UK and Finland, how do you feel your critics views on movies? Are they fair, or do they sometimes appear bias.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #307
Vulklin
Side-Kick

There are 2 critics I can think of off top of my head who do film reviews in UK

Jonathon Ross, if he still does film reviews, would most likely give it a very good rating, as he is a bit of a comic book fan, his wife wrote Kick Ass

Mark Kermode is the other, Kermode is a wanker, so even if he says it is great ignore him lol

Vulklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #308
Dr. Sid Jawtug
Banned User

A spoiler free review.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dr. Sid Jawtug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #309
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sid Jawtug View Post
A spoiler free review.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Awesome review! The reviewer's enthusiasm really got me pumped up even more about the movie.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #310
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

I think I've read a write up of that review.....that or everyone is praising the same things lol

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #311
Khemik@L
MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
I think I've read a write up of that review.....that or everyone is praising the same things lol
Yea I posted it here

FOR IF THE WAY YOUR POWER IS USED IS DICTATED TO YOU BY YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT A SPECTATOR? BUT IF YOU DICTATE YOUR INTENDED ACTIONS TO YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT THE ENFORCER?
Khemik@L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #312
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Heres another spoiler-free review in an Australian paper:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1226332699551

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #313
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

The reviewer doesnt seen to be a CB geek (i am btw), so the rave review suggests broad appeal for this movie.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #314
StPete20

This is one of the best spoiler free reviews of the film I have read.
Quote:
Perfectly Assembled: A spoiler-free review of The Avengers (2012)

by Jesse Scully
Standing in a line of over 200 people at 7 am in San Diego, California during a very cold and windy morning; I thought back to when I first saw the, now famous, post-credit Iron Man scene where Sam Jackson playing Nick Fury uttered the word ďAvengers.Ē Who knew that one word would lead to this, in my opinion, the greatest comic book film Iíve yet to see. Allow me to explain.
For those who donít know, The Avengers is a film that has been years in the making. All of Marvel Studios films following Iron Man have been leading to this story: A tale featuring Earthís mightiest heroes together at last. In the process of creating a movie with such ambition, many people began to wonder if this could ever work. Fans all over the world were both excited and terrified when the news first came out that this film would happen, but a lot of their concerns were put at ease when they announced the filmís writer/director: Joss Whedon.
Joss Whedon is most famous for his television work, (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly) but he is also well known for his witty writing, slick visuals, compelling action and his love for comics. If anyone was ever suited to bring this massive dream project to life, it was Whedon. But the success of this film would also rely heavily on the talent attached. When it was officially announced that Whedon was directing, Robert Downey, Jr.ís portrayl of Iron Man was the only Avenger that had made an impression on audiences. During Comic Con 2010, (which myself and fellow Fourth Wall member Art were in attendance) the world got a look at the group together for the first time and a little glimpse of what Chris Evans as Captain America and Chris Hemsworth as Thor would offer. But even with the stage being set and everything falling in to place, many still wonderedÖ ďIs this really going to work?Ē
After leaving the advanced fan screening of The Avengers, I realized that not only did it work; it was damn near perfect.
The story for The Avengers is very simple, and in some other cases this could be a bad thing, but here it works to the filmís strengths. The focus is on why these amazing people are brought together and how they react. Itís not Iron Man 2.5 or a prelude to a Captain America sequel, itís all about the mission and the team. This gave Whedon time to give each character something to do so the audience can feel the importance of them being there. No one feels out of place or forced in, and we even get some insight into aspects we didnít know about these characters before.
The build to the filmís climax is beautifully done, with a non-stop momentum of action and character moments that move the film along in such a way that you donít even notice that 2 hours have passed when itís over. The storytelling is top notch and itís Whedonís writing that really brings it all together. The dialog is sharp and fits every character, an impressive feat since each role is so different. The film is filled with great moments from beginning to end. Ranging from funny to awe-inspiring to tragic, it moves through these moments so well and keeps you invested in the story the entire time. By the end, your throat and hands will be sore from cheering and clapping. I guarantee it.
The acting here is suburb. All the returning cast shine and the newcomers add a new flavor in the mix. The most noticeable addition is Mark Ruffalo as Dr. Bruce Banner/The Hulk. I will admit, I was one of those people that, at first, hated the idea of Banner not being played by Edward Norton, who played the character so well in The Incredible Hulk. But as time went on and after seeing Ruffalo turn in some incredible performances in other films, I became confident he could pull it off. Luckily, I was right. His version of Banner is one not yet seen in the movies. Itís more connected with the Bill Bixby version of the character but mixed in with a nervous edge and Ruffaloís charm.
The entire cast really plays well off each other, and itís fun to see them go back and forth with Whedonís sharp dialogue. Robert Downey, Jr. gets the best lines and turns in a scene stealing performance once again. The big three (Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man) interact marvelously. Scarlett Johansson gets much more time to shine as Black Widow than she did in Iron Man 2. Here she is cunning, strong, and mysterious. She is given a backstory that is pure bad ass. Seeing Black Widow in a solo adventure now sounds like an exciting possibility. The same can be said for Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill. This easily could have been a forgettable character, but Smulders turns in a memorable performance as Furyís right hand and takes to the action well. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is cool as hell and holds the glue for the narrative, and once again Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson is great and truly the heart of the film. The only actor who kind of gets shortchanged is Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye. He doesnít get much time during the film to breathe like the other cast members, but he makes up for it with some exciting action during the finale.
The design and visuals of the film are very sharp and impressive. The S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier is a masterpiece of design and makes a great backdrop for much of the action. The look of war-torn New York City though is the main backdrop, and the designs here are amazing. The look and feel of the final scene is truly immersive. It feels like youíre in the middle of a massive battle. Although, the best visual design in the film goes to The Hulk, hands down. The Big Green has never looked so good and his scenes easily steal the show. The only visual snafu is the design of the alien invaders, the Chitauri. While they donít look terrible, they donít look as great as some of the other visuals on display and it stands out a bit in the finale.
The action in the film is top notch and exhilarating. Every character gets a moment of exciting action that will get your adrenaline pumping. Joss Whedonís eye for these scenes really gives the film a perfect momentum that all leads to the final battle in Manhattan. Without saying too much, the last act of this film is nerd nirvana. Youíll want to watch it over and over again.
The Avengers is the best comic book film I have yet to see. Now, let me clarify. In my opinion, The Dark Knight is not a comic book film. Itís a film based on a comic character but is more of a crime drama than anything else. When it comes to taking the page and literally bringing it to life in front of your eyes? The Avengers has no equal.
Though you donít have to see the other Marvel films to enjoy The Avengers, it does help. But donít be afraid to dive right in even if you havenít. The filmmakers do a very good job establishing the world and characters at the start. Needless to say, after watching The Avengers, comic book fans will be over the moon. Speaking as one, I never thought I would see this movie and now that I have I canít wait to see it again and again and again.
Avengers Assemble? Youíre damn right.
I love their reasoning as to why the Avengers and The Dark Knight should not be compared. What the hell am I going to do to pass the time by until May 4th!?!?

Source: HERE

StPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #315
HULKFish
Side-Kick

Thank you! AWESOME! Now that is a review I like... Just two more weeks!!!

ďFear not the legends of menÖ Stay the course for the
sake of thy journey, for death and despair will remain constant
along the path.Ē ~ Mandivor

Marlsbeth thread

Visit MARLSBETH
HULKFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #316
mc7791
The boys have arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete20 View Post
This is one of the best spoiler free reviews of the film I have read.

I love their reasoning as to why the Avengers and The Dark Knight should not be compared. What the hell am I going to do to pass the time by until May 4th!?!?

Source: HERE
yes thank you, why is it not May yet? Can this film do no wrong? Review after review paint a picture of how good this film may well be better than I could hoped. filmakers not just of the superhero genre but action and fantasy as well had better take note. Marvel Studios and Whedon have brought it and set a new bar. that could apply to moviemaking in general too

mc7791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #317
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

OK, here's my first post-screening reaction coming out of the theater:

Because it's late for me here is only a short review:

The movie is amazing. Action and storytelling are well balanced. Every character got his well deserved screentime. The actors are all great, there's no failure. It seems the characters come right from the comic books. And some scenes are really "comic booky". The 2 1/2 hours really flew by. And the final battle is a rollercoster ride.

I can't wait to watch the film again, there are still so many things to discover. Now I'm feeling completely done, so I can't give much details away. I need some time to digest the experience.

IRON MAN III - THOR: THE DARK WORLD - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #318
Dr. Sid Jawtug
Banned User

Just watched The Avengers... Meh.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
JK

Dr. Sid Jawtug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #319
Chewy
REDACTED

I love how often that Jim Carrey gif is showing up here these days. I think it's one of the more under appreciated gifs out there

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #320
Kingdork
Side-Kick

I heard from many French bloggers that their main issue with the film was that the special effects were bad in some parts. They're mostly geeks who enjoyed the movie in general, but they all seem to agree on the iffy VFX. For those who have seen the movie, is it that bad for them to even bring it up?

Kingdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #321
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

My review after seeing it last Saturday. It's pretty long, so it's in spoiler tags. No spoilers, though.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Walking into Marvel's The Avengers, I, obviously, had huge expectations. It's a film I had been looking forward to for close to four years, starting with the after credits scene located at the end of 2008's Iron Man. The teases for Avengers increased as more and more Marvel Studios films were released over the years, with a Tony Stark cameo in 2008's The Incredible Hulk, Thor's hammer in the post-credits scene of Iron Man 2, and even more references in last year's Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger. The Avengers was being built up to be a giant, cinematic movie event, a film in which heroes from their own respective films occupy the same universe and become a part of a team to stop whomever decided to unleash enormous chaos. This has never, ever been done before, and was a pretty ambitious and large task to pull off. The question is, DID Marvel Studios pull it off? The answer is yes. 100%.

The official premise of the movie reads: "When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster." The unexpected enemy in question is Loki [not a spoiler at all due to commercials and trailers openly focusing in on Loki as the villain], Thor's brother, who desperately wants to rule humanity and be bowed down to by legions of humans. We've seen a bit of his evil tendencies towards Earth near the end of Thor, but for the most part, he was made out to be a confused, jealous brother with a control problem. Tom Hiddleston did a fantastic job of portraying this in last years' Thor, and we still connected with Loki, no matter how screwed up his plans were. In this film, Loki has a clear, focused plan on what he wants. No more confusion about who he really is. No more jealousy towards his brother. He wants to conquer Earth, and will kill whoever gets in his way (there's a line in Avengers that states he killed 80 people in two days). Tom Hiddleston once again does a great job of playing Loki, and not just making him a one-note villain. He's downright creepy in some spots in the film, and effectively showed the transformation from confused to someone with a clear mindset.

Reprising their roles from their previous films are Chris Evans as Captain America (who I think is written a lot better here than in his solo movie), Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/ Iron Man, and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Jeremy Renner, who had a brief cameo in Thor, returns in his role as Hawkeye, and Scarlett Johansson, who played Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow in Iron Man 2, also returns. All of these actors (and actress) do a great job with their roles and make it hard to imagine anyone else replacing them. One character that did have his actor replaced, however, was Bruce Banner, also known as The Hulk. Edward Norton, who played Banner in The Incredible Hulk, was dropped from The Avengers due to some behind the scenes "drama". Whatever. Anyways, when I heard he wouldn't be coming back, I was furious. I thought he did a great job in his solo movie, and was looking forward to him returning. And then they announced his replacement, Mark Ruffalo.

When Ruffalo was announced, I was still sort of hesistant. For one thing, he didn't match the skinny, measly figure that Banner had been portrayed as in recent years, and, seeing previous movies of his, I wasn't quite sure if he really fit the bill (though there was this tiny voice at the back of my head urging me to give him a chance). So, having seen the movie, do I think Ruffalo was a great fit for Bruce Banner? YES. The man was a fantastic Banner, showing warmth, social nervousness, smarts, and humor in his portrayal. In fact, he reminded me a lot of Bill Bixy playing Bruce Banner (well, he was named David Banner there) in the 1970's Hulk show. I still think Bixby is the best Banner, but Ruffalo does a wonderful job. In this film, Bruce is in a different place. Instead of doing all he can to cure himself, he has a strong want to help others. He has gone two years without a Hulk incident, and plans to keep it that way (but we all know it doesn't work that way). He basically has the Hulk on a leash, and would rather control it then "get rid of it" in this movie, per se. Hulk himself is done fantastically through motion capture by Mark Ruffalo (same technology they used in Avatar), and the CGI (computer generated imagery) makes the Hulk the best he's looked in any of his other movies. It's kinda sad, if you think about it, how the Hulk looks the best here and he doesn't even compare in either of his OWN MOVIES. He also shows a greater personality here, too, and although he doesn't talk as much as I would have liked him to, what he does say and the stuff he does are both epic and funny.

S.H.I.E.L.D. is composed of Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), Agent Coulson (Clark Gregg), Maria Hill, who is Nick Fury's right hand woman (Cobie Smulders), Hawkeye and Black Widow. I think all of these actors and actresses did a great job in their roles, though I do think that Sam Jackson's acting started off a bit shaky in the beginning, but it gets better. Agent Coulson returns from being in Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Thor. He's an enormous fanboy of Captain America in this movie, which makes for some pretty funny scenes. Speaking of funny, this movie is hilarious. Some parts of this film will literally make you laugh out loud. There are two parts I can think of right now, both including the Hulk, that will literally make you crack up. The humor in this movie is written very well by writer/director Joss Whedon, and is actually funny and not any poor excuse to make jokes.

Overall, DO NOT MISS THIS MOVIE. Marvel's The Avengers is an unbelievable, awe-inspiring cinematic experience that will win you over through its strong characters (who never get lost in the spectacle), smart writing, epic action sequences, and hilarious humor. You don't have to watch the other movies to enjoy this one (though I do recommend it), and you don't even need to LIKE superhero movies to enjoy this. It's just a really incredible movie all around. No, not movie. Experience. You will be insanely immersed in Avengers, and it hardly EVER makes a wrong turn. Go see it as soon as it comes out on May 4th. It's one of the best.

P.S.- See it in 3D, and if you can, IMAX 3D. INSANE.

Last edited by Marvel Spider; 04-19-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Marvel Spider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #322
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Any way you could break that up into paragraphs?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #323
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I'd love to see that Riddler gif recreated with Bane in TDKR, pelvic thrust and all.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #324
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Any way you could break that up into paragraphs?

LOL, sorry. I copy and pasted it from a note I made on Facebook, so some things didn't translate right. Fixed it.

Marvel Spider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #325
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
I'd love to see that Riddler gif recreated with Bane in TDKR, pelvic thrust and all.
Same but with Schumacher in Riddler tights.

6 days to go.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote