The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #26
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Default Re: SuperHeroHype RPG.......LIVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
Added my schedule, and am approving MST to join the party. Right now, it looks like the best time to play would be Saturday in the afternoon; the schedules don't really line up for more than an hour or two at a time any other nights.

Now then.....

Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds (the most current edition, and the one we'll be playing) is meant for original character creation, but the same ruleset is used for the DC Universe tabletop RPG. So, would y'all like to play original folks or start off doing existing JLAers and the like?
Thanks for the add.

In terms of Saturday Afternoons the earliest I could get on is 6:30 EST....at least until mid May when the school year ends....and I will be busy for the next 2 Saturdays.

I know I am laying a lot on the table right now...but I figure I should be honest up front.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

So who's an RPG newbie besides me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #28
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

I'm new to it

Quote:

Third Edition Mutants and Masterminds (the most current edition, and the one we'll be playing) is meant for original character creation, but the same ruleset is used for the DC Universe tabletop RPG. So, would y'all like to play original folks or start off doing existing JLAers and the like?
I'm up for either. I really wouldn't mind playing with a character I made for CAH, but then again I can also have some fun with the DC guys.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

My own two cents: I think creating a new character might be better in the long run, because it more or less forces you to get familiar with each stat, perk, power, etc, that your character has, rather than having to thumb through the rulebook every time you want to check on a listed power for a pre-written guy and see what the hell it is.

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Like Byrd, I might use my CaH character. I had rolled him up once already under the DCU system. I'll just do it again now that I know what I'm doing a little better.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #31
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Okay, so I've uploaded a pdf of the 3rd Edition Core Rulebook to my public Dropbox. You guys should be able to just click the link below and download it from there (I don't think you need an account to do so, and even if you do, it's free, so no biggie)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66985801/Core%20Rules%203E.pdf

Also, here's a basic character sheet for y'all to print out:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66985801/M%2...er%20Sheet.pdf

Or, if you're feeling froggy and want to get really really in-depth, a much larger character folio:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/66985801/M%2...er%20Folio.pdf

Look through the rulebook just to sort of get a glimpse of how it all works; don't be intimidated by the size of it. Most rulebooks are very good at spelling everything out in terms of character creation, combat mechanics, etc.

When you've got a concept for your character in mind, hit me up on MSN or Skype and we'll start building a character together. You're going to start out at Power Level 10, city-level heroes roughly on par with, say, Spider-Man. Bear that in mind when thinking of what kind of guy you want to play.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm a complete newb. Some of this is way above my head, so I'll be a bit of a rough player whenever I start, I'm sure.

As for what to base the game on, I'm fine with a CAH format. I'd have preferred a DC game to keep my interest a little more invested, in the off chance that I can't keep up with this, but I'm not gonna sell anything short just because I'd be only slightly more comfortable with something I'm still gonna have to get used to either way. Plus, there's always time for a DC game when we're more experienced. Hopefully one where I'll get to verbally challenge anyone gunning for Batman.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #33
SuperFerret
Class Act

This thread just had to be posted on a day where I was away. Damn you all for filling up before I could join.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #34
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

I added my times on the Google Doc.

I've been doing this kind of RPG for YEARS (I started playing D&D in 1981)...and I've played all kinds off and on since then so I do have experience in this area.

Seven concepts and things I've learned over the years:
1) Think, Act, and talk exactly as your character would while playing. Break character ONLY if you have to.

2) Try to make your character as different from who you are in terms of your personality.

3) Always respect your other players! Nothing will kill an RPG like this quicker than disrespecting other players.

4) Greediness kills! Whether it is in terms of collecting wealth or trying to be the top dog in the group. This is a team effort..make it one!

5) If you got a problem with a fellow player discuss it with them...in private if possible.

6) Always recognize that everyone brings something unique to the group. Embrace that idea and use it. It could make the difference between a thriving RPG or a dead one.

7) HAVE FUN! Be creative! This is not a chore or something you have to do. If you don't want to do this then walk away.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #35
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I'm a complete newb. Some of this is way above my head, so I'll be a bit of a rough player whenever I start, I'm sure.

As for what to base the game on, I'm fine with a CAH format. I'd have preferred a DC game to keep my interest a little more invested, in the off chance that I can't keep up with this, but I'm not gonna sell anything short just because I'd be only slightly more comfortable with something I'm still gonna have to get used to either way. Plus, there's always time for a DC game when we're more experienced. Hopefully one where I'll get to verbally challenge anyone gunning for Batman.
If this had been a DC game, you would have said "I'm Batman" then promptly dropped out, having fulfilled your one dream in life.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Yeah, I don't want a DC game just to **** over MB.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #37
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

We could've seriously had some fun messing with MB...A CAH RPG works nicely.

Looking forward to it.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #38
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Mistake on my part: I linked you guys to a Second Edition character sheet.

Here's the 3E one:

http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_file...arsheet_bw.pdf

And Byrd found one that you can fill out online:

http://kevin.schelley.com/pdf/MnM3_c...r_fillable.pdf

Last edited by Andy C.; 04-16-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #39
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

So, after harassing Andy for roughly an hour straight, I think I managed to fill out my character sheet, or enough of it to get started.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #40
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Good news for me. The M&M character sheet is exactly like the DC Adventures character sheet. And I was able to find my old document So I don't need to start from scratch again. Just go through and tweak it some.

Suck it!

Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #41
SuperFerret
Class Act

Isn't DC Adventures M&M 3e?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #42
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

It has to be. The two rule books are pretty much identical.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #43
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Is there room for one more? I was literally just looking into getting into table-top RPGs after watching the episode "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" of Community. The fact that I can play BL is just icing on the cake. Or I could wait 'till you do another session?

Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #44
SuperFerret
Class Act

I guess I could run a parallel game if Andy's cool with it. Superhero ideas tend to come to be faster than fantasy ones do, so I'm generally a more reliable GM in superhero games than I am in fantasy games (I'm a ****ing D&D perfectionist most of the time.)

Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #45
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

SF: Yes, DC Adventures runs off of the M&M 3E system. And I'm totally fine with you running a parallel game, since this one filled up so fast.

BL: Technically there's no limit as to how many players you can have in the party, but the ideal number to keep things moving at a decent pace is 4 or 5. We've already got 6, which means I'm already going to beef up a couple of the encounters to keep it balanced. 7 players is just going to be too many to manage efficiently without bogging combat down to a crawl. Hopefully SF will start on the parallel game, or if this one's a hit, I'll start a second game and you can have dibs on a slot in the party.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #46
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

I got a rough idea for a character....still hashing out some details...but things are moving forward.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #47
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Quote:
SF: Yes, DC Adventures runs off of the M&M 3E system. And I'm totally fine with you running a parallel game, since this one filled up so fast.

BL: Technically there's no limit as to how many players you can have in the party, but the ideal number to keep things moving at a decent pace is 4 or 5. We've already got 6, which means I'm already going to beef up a couple of the encounters to keep it balanced. 7 players is just going to be too many to manage efficiently without bogging combat down to a crawl. Hopefully SF will start on the parallel game, or if this one's a hit, I'll start a second game and you can have dibs on a slot in the party.
I'm cool with that, Andy. I figured it was a longshot, but it never hurts to ask.

SF, lemme know if you run a game alongside Andy's and if you need my schedule I'll post it wherever needed.

Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #48
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Okay, so I've found the adventure path we'll be using for the game. It's technically a DC Adventures game, but I can just fudge some of the names to make it less copyright infringement-ish.

Anyway, only one person has gone through character creation with me. If you're stuck or don't know where to start, or already have it finished and want it checked over or whatever, give me a holler.

AIM: Stopaudacity716
MSN: theaudacity716@live.com

Old 04-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #49
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I completely forgot to work on it last night (damn you Tribes Ascend! ), but when I was working on it on Tuesday, I realized I think I had done things wrong when doing the original sheet for DCA.

I'll try to remember to finish it up tonight.

Quote:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #50
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

I can't say I blame you; Tribes Ascend is so much fun I'm surprised it's not illegal.