The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 AM   #51
Adenjo
Cottonheadedninnymuggins

Default Re: What is the Reaction??

I wouldn't be surprised if by the time it hits theaters it's not been renamed Nolans man nolan of nolan steel.

It isn't about looking realistic. It is about looking awesome.
[DarthSkywalker]

BAZINGA
For the Star Wars fans
MY VANITY THREAD

TWITTER the_midlander
Adenjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #52
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenjo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if by the time it hits theaters it's not been renamed Nolans man nolan of nolan steel.
Like Nolan Begins and The Dark Nolan and the Nolan Rises.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #53
I Am The Knight
You came back to dance?

It's too early to tell. We'll have to see how people react to actual footage.

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
If they're smart, they'll take a good, hard look at The Amazing Spider-Man as means to know what not to do to sell this.
If that movie overperforms it's going to solely be based on people's love for the character because Sony has failed. They still have time to pick up the ball but first impressions are usually it. The Amazing Spider-Man teaser was lame as ****, I certainly hope that The Man of Steel's is much, much better.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #55
Project862006
Banned User

^but the actual trailer was much better than the teaser

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #56
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
This.

But unfortunately, the clips haven't been any good IMO.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #57
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
Oh I hear ya but I still see the film under performing for a myriad of reasons that I've already got into and don't want to get into again right now.

Just listen to the box office predictions on the website in my sig to see what my thoughts are because Jamie lays out my thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
This.

But unfortunately, the clips haven't been any good IMO.
I agree that the trailer is fine but it's not a game changer like the second Star Trek trailer.

They didn't make The Amazing Spider-Man for me though so I feel odd even commenting up on it, most of the time. I hope the people who didn't love the Raimi films (the first two) the way I did have a movie to call their own. No use in wishing anyone bad luck or anything.

I have a hard time watching the clips because I don't care about the film.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 04-14-2012 at 06:25 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #58
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

I can tell you this much: it is equal if not more enticing to the average movie goer than a:
-Transformers movie
-Iron Man movie
-Star Trek movie
-Spider-man movie (2002)

were to them a year prior to release. All of those movies made a lot of money regardless, several years prior to MOS opening. W.B. would be wise to look at how those films in particular were fed to audiences, when it comes to marketing. In the marketing for those films, all came across as serious 'summer' movies. By 'summer', I mean large scale, special effects filled escapist fun. Not overly cartoony ala The Incredible Hulk in 2008 or The Amazing Spider-man this year, but still fun while being more serious and dramatic. Large, sweeping advertising campaigns highlighting the action and romance themes will sell. Trailers in vein of these ones will be big hits. Anything more like SR, though...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

R.I.P. Heath

Last edited by Excel; 04-18-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #59
DieSmiling
WINNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
If that movie overperforms it's going to solely be based on people's love for the character because Sony has failed. They still have time to pick up the ball but first impressions are usually it. The Amazing Spider-Man teaser was lame as ****, I certainly hope that The Man of Steel's is much, much better.
Totally agree. It's almost stunning how low the hype is right now for The Amazing Spider-Man when you consider how anticipated The Dark Knight Rises and the Avengers are, and where Spidey was not so long ago (without question the number one superhero franchise, and arguably the number one franchise period.)

The general reaction from most people I know hasn't been overly positive or negative. The "I hope it's better than Superman Returns" sentiment is the only prevailing one.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #60
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieSmiling View Post
Totally agree. It's almost stunning how low the hype is right now for The Amazing Spider-Man when you consider how anticipated The Dark Knight Rises and the Avengers are, and where Spidey was not so long ago (without question the number one superhero franchise, and arguably the number one franchise period.)
If it wasn't evident already, Sony has no idea how to get people interested in The Amazing Spider-Man. So far, nothing's working.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #61
Daniel Thompson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
My take on what we know so far is that Superman will be reinterpreted as a solider/warrior in this version.

It will be in line with the reinterpretation of Krypton as Neo-Medieval. Superman is basically wearing the Kryptonian battle uniform.

It sounds like Jor-El even has fight sequences.
Yeah Zac Snyder is taking alot of elements from 300 and putting it in the MOS, which I love. Its a new take and makes Superman more than a superhero, like you said a warrior.

Daniel Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #62
GreenKToo
In the fire

Most that i've told had a *really??* reaction. They had no idea another was even in the works.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #63
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

It's going to have a hard time.

Batman & Robin --> Batman Begins
X-Men 3 & Wolverine --> X-Men: First Class
Spider-Man 3 --> The Amazing Spider-Man
Superman Returns --> The Man of Steel

HOWEVER, that said, if they push 'From Christopher Nolan, the man behind Batman' more than Superman... general audiences may just look at it as Batman 4 lmaol. That's their BEST shot at avoiding the reboot curse.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #64
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post

HOWEVER, that said, if they push 'From Christopher Nolan, the man behind Batman' more than Superman... general audiences may just look at it as Batman 4 lmaol. That's their BEST shot at avoiding the reboot curse.
I completely agree. It's sad, but it's simply true.

Here's a typical exchange in my world.

Friend: 'Who's that as your screensaver?'
Me: 'That's Henry Cavill, the new Superman'
Friend: 'They're making another Superman movie? The last one was so boring'
Me: 'Yeah but this is different. The writer of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight put forward the idea and wrote the script, the Director of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight is overseeing it, and the Director of 300 and Watchmen is directing it. Plus, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe are in it'
Friend: 'Oh right, that's pretty cool'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #65
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I completely agree. It's sad, but it's simply true.

Here's a typical exchange in my world.

Friend: 'Who's that as your screensaver?'
Me: 'That's Henry Cavill, the new Superman'
Friend: 'They're making another Superman movie? The last one was so boring'
Me: 'Yeah but this is different. The writer of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight put forward the idea and wrote the script, the Director of Batman Begins and the Dark Knight is overseeing it, and the Director of 300 and Watchmen is directing it. Plus, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe are in it'
Friend: 'Oh right, that's pretty cool'

cool friend

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #66
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenjo View Post
In fairness the movie is still a year away, with the (hopeful) success of TDKR and the (presumed) heavy use of the Nolan name when the teaser trailer/trailer hits the general public interest in Man of steel should (fingers crossed) be quite high.
The TDKR MOS Trailer has to be phenomenal... plain and simple. People need to leave TDKR saying that movie was awesome, but the trailer before it was even better

Old 04-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #67
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

it will be just a small teaser. Anything is fine with me...

DIRECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:40 AM   #68
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
People need to leave TDKR saying that movie was awesome, but the trailer before it was even better

Someone's setting the bar a little high methinks

*\S/T*
Old 05-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #69
Obi Wan Kenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman141 View Post
Whats the reaction your seeing from people when you tell them/say to them, next year there will be a new Superman Movie.... Good or bad? do they say awesome I hope its better then Returns or do they say It'll suck.. What are they're Reactions to the Suit? Henry Cavill? And I'm not talkin about your everyday supes fan... just people.

The reaction hasn't been good for several reasons.

1. WB has pretty much screwed the mystique of Superman. From bad marketing, the idiocy of smallville, to the stupid story of SR. One way or another WB will hire someone to screw Superman up. Even Superman the movie. Don't get me wrong its a classic but that movie was almost messed up because the studio wanted more campy silliness. Gene Hackman's Lex should have been more like Spacey's Lex. You know the story of Superman II.

2. When I've shown general fans Brandon Routh vs Cavill people ask me who the hell is Cavill. He's too short and his hair is awful. People also tell me Routh wasn't the problem with SR. So its been "meh". I don't know anyone who's excited about Henry Cavill.

3. I think most fans in general are "meh" because they are tired of the same old stuff in every Superman movie. This guy is the most awesome superhero, he's sort of like a demigod. What do we get as fans? He spends half the movie love sick over Lois Lane, flies around catching light weight objects and never throws a punch. Its ridiculous.

Its really sad and ridiculous how Superman is treated and handled. I mean I watched Avengers last Saturday. The CGI and the final battle was epic. I mean I could easily see Superman battle Doomsday or Darkseid in down town Metropolis with all sorts of weird creatures and what not flying around.Even if he was battling Lex I could see Lex Corp throwing a similar army at Superman. But nah, we'll get him catching a few helicopters, he'll save a school bus full of kids from the tornado "same ***** as in STM" and the rest of the time he'll be love sick following Lois Lane around. He and Zod will throw a few things at each other but thats about it.

Don't get me wrong the plane sequence in SR was awesome. It was something the Hulk, Thor, Spidey nor any Avenger could do a damn thing about. But mostly I'm talking about having Superman go up against a villian and they get down and nasty. Thats why audiences are like ok meh whatever.

Same tired old song and dance. Chase Lois, save a few people, the main villian pulls out a piece of kryptonite, Superman goes and lays in a corner like a little girl, then he saves the world without having to actually fight someone or something.

Its pretty sad because when I see movies like Avengers, Battleship, Transformers & the villians in them I always ask myself. What would Superman do?

Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #70
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I am sure that Henry Cavill be a good Superman.

I thought that Brandon Routh did a good job as Superman, but it is time to movie on.

People's opinions will change after they see one or two trailers.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #71
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

It's crazy how people have seen MOS and it hasnt even come out yet...

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #72
Boosted
Side-Kick

my friends are excited when i mention it. they're not really movie nerds though. I was under the impression that most people (from stuff i've seen on the internet) thought it looked cool

actually now that i think about it, this is usually how it goes,

Me: "yeah they're making a new superman"
friend: "is it the same people from that last one? that was crappy"
me: "no blah blah snyder blah blah nolan"
friend: "nice"

Last edited by Boosted; 05-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #73
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Meh indeed.

Superman is irrelevant. It's on this film to make Superman relevant.
I don't usually respond with just emotes, but

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #74
thegameq
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan Kenobi View Post
The reaction hasn't been good for several reasons.

1. WB has pretty much screwed the mystique of Superman. From bad marketing, the idiocy of smallville, to the stupid story of SR. One way or another WB will hire someone to screw Superman up. Even Superman the movie. Don't get me wrong its a classic but that movie was almost messed up because the studio wanted more campy silliness. Gene Hackman's Lex should have been more like Spacey's Lex. You know the story of Superman II.

2. When I've shown general fans Brandon Routh vs Cavill people ask me who the hell is Cavill. He's too short and his hair is awful. People also tell me Routh wasn't the problem with SR. So its been "meh". I don't know anyone who's excited about Henry Cavill.

3. I think most fans in general are "meh" because they are tired of the same old stuff in every Superman movie. This guy is the most awesome superhero, he's sort of like a demigod. What do we get as fans? He spends half the movie love sick over Lois Lane, flies around catching light weight objects and never throws a punch. Its ridiculous.

Its really sad and ridiculous how Superman is treated and handled. I mean I watched Avengers last Saturday. The CGI and the final battle was epic. I mean I could easily see Superman battle Doomsday or Darkseid in down town Metropolis with all sorts of weird creatures and what not flying around.Even if he was battling Lex I could see Lex Corp throwing a similar army at Superman. But nah, we'll get him catching a few helicopters, he'll save a school bus full of kids from the tornado "same ***** as in STM" and the rest of the time he'll be love sick following Lois Lane around. He and Zod will throw a few things at each other but thats about it.

Don't get me wrong the plane sequence in SR was awesome. It was something the Hulk, Thor, Spidey nor any Avenger could do a damn thing about. But mostly I'm talking about having Superman go up against a villian and they get down and nasty. Thats why audiences are like ok meh whatever.

Same tired old song and dance. Chase Lois, save a few people, the main villian pulls out a piece of kryptonite, Superman goes and lays in a corner like a little girl, then he saves the world without having to actually fight someone or something.

Its pretty sad because when I see movies like Avengers, Battleship, Transformers & the villians in them I always ask myself. What would Superman do?
The problem with Superman is that he's Superman. He needs new material. He needs villains that really challenge him -- not rehashes -- Lex, kryptonite, another kryptonian, robots, big guns or missiles. People love what the character stands for which is why so many are drawn to him. It will be interesting to see if the "alien Superman" approach attracts audiences and get them to seem him differently.

As far as peoples reaction...my friends and family members that are and aren't comicbook fans all have the same reaction. A big fat "meh".

thegameq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
shauner111
Side-Kick

Ive mentioned it to some people and no reaction. It's completely normal, they'll have an opinion when the first teaser drops.

I can't say Sony are doing a poor job in getting people interested in Amazing Spider-Man. I actually think they're doing the best job they can with what they have. The excitement will ONLY come after the movie is released and discussion begins regarding the sequel. Not before. This movie can be a major letdown (most people have made their minds up already that it will) or it could surprise the hell out of people and win over audiences. Once they're out of the "origin story" - "remake" phase and the hype for a new Spider-Man is simply about...The Green Goblin..then peoples heads will turn.

Back to MOS, i think people are just tired of the formulaic nature of Superman movies. Like people mentioned, Lex Luthor, Kryptonite, etc. A lot of people i talk to aren't even aware SR exists or if they saw it, they thought it was boring and wussy and lame. Kinda how Kevin Smith looks at it.

People will not be interested in MOS unless it's given a major make-over. Like MAJOR. I have a feeling people are like me when it comes to this reboot. They want Superman to be more physical, a bad-ass pretty much, who is still just as kind as ever before, and has the best morals a person can have walking this planet. But the key for me is making Superman cool and someone who kicks ass big time. Snyder has already said this, so im not worried.

It doesn't hurt to have actors who you can actually take seriously, more action than the last one, and seeing him get beaten up a little bit will make people identify with this character more. Especially once he gets up and destroys his enemies with all his powers and strength. It'll be more rewarding.

So the reaction is bland now but it wont be like TAS. They've released how many teasers and trailers?? and people still dont care. It's not their fault, it's just who cares about a man turning into a stupid looking Lizard as their villain? When this year you have such a brutal and real force like Bane, played by such a great actor like Tom Hardy. And a villain who is already established like Loki. Add to that, it's an origin that was done just 10 years ago. Supes had its origin on FILM back in the 70s. It's time. WB will learn from Spidey AND Green Lantern.

Last edited by shauner111; 05-14-2012 at 06:13 PM.
shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote