The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #376
childeroland
Side-Kick

Default Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Kampfer

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.
Heigo Kurosawa, Akira's brother

Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #377
childeroland
Side-Kick

Mirai Nikki. Awe-some.

You are the world you have created. And when you cease to exist, this world that you have created will also cease to exist. Cormac Mccarthy, The Counselor

If you shut your eyes to a frightening sight, you end up being frightened. If you look at it straight on, there is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #378
spiderbob
All Hail Britannia

Fate Zero Episode 16

Holy ****

"It's as if we're walking through a maze of sorts. There are always so many paths before us. We choose a path, then we proceed. People like you walk your paths, believing that something you desire is waiting for you. I walk it to confirm that there is nothing there." - Rau le Cruset
Old 04-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #379
Spider-Aziz
Web Interphase

Bleach movies 2 & 3
Movie 2 is fun, movie 3 is still more fun to watch

It's saddening, I prefer Naruto series to Bleach, but when it comes to movies Bleach outshines Naruto by miles

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.

6th annual animated shows tournament voting has begun.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #380
Secret Fawful
Banned User

Eureka Seven AO episode 2 -not bad

Heaven's Lost Porperty episode 1 - awful

RIN episode 1 - intriguing.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #381
SymbioticToxin
Why're ya screamin'?

Gun X Sword. I have 7 episodes left. It's a good revenge story anime.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #382
childeroland
Side-Kick

Sankarea, episode 1. Promising.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #383
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Trigun

Not bad; could have fleshed out the backstory of Vash a little more, but It was solid nonetheless.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #384
Paroxysm
Banned User

Old 05-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #385
Nathan

Love Hina

Old 05-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #386
childeroland
Side-Kick

When Cicadas Cry. Great horror anime, a lot like a cartoon of a Higuchinsky or Kōji Shiraishi horror film.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:30 PM   #387
childeroland
Side-Kick

Ai Yori Aoshi. Harem comedy much funnier than usual for the genre.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #388
childeroland
Side-Kick

Okamisan For once, an all powerful social club that is not wholly annoying. Hilariously self-aware.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #389
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

Naruto Shippuden 262. War begins.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #390
xTheSandyClaws

Lucky Star
Naruto Shippuden

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #391
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Just saw the first eipsode of Space Bros and it was really great! Been looking for a series like this quite a while, and it certanly looks like I found it

- Gene Wilder
Old 05-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #392
childeroland
Side-Kick

The Legend of the Legendary Heroes. Mood whiplash-y even though it starts fairly light.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #393
-Arya-
Batman v Superman - 2016

Almost done with Basilisk

Meh, it's ok I suppose.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #394
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

RIDING BEAN:

This is an OAV from 1989 which was dubbed by Animego sometime in the early 90's and released on VHS, and then being re-released on DVD in 2002. It is actually one of only 10 anime titles that Animego - one of the first anime distribution companies in North America and also one of the smallest - has kept in print all this time. If memory serves, this was perhaps one of the first dozen or two anime titles I ever owned back in the 90's when I was entering my teenage years and getting into anime as I yearned for more adult animation that wasn't based on superheroes. As I was hardly a rich kid and springing $21 after taxes for new anime VHS tapes was a strain in the 90's, I became a master at finding some of these short OAV's that were an hour or less which were all the rage for anime dubbing companies at the time. This one quickly became one of my favorites.

It was written by Kenichi Sonoda, best known for GUNSMITH CATS which he produced afterward after a falling out with the animation studio behind this OAV, which was intended as a TV series pilot. Think of this as the prototype for GUNSMITH CATS as most of the characters from it would eventually appear in that manga, especially the titular hero. It is a short caper piece which is also the grandfather of "THE TRANSPORTER" series, about a courier-for-hire named Bean Bandit and his partner Rally Vincent who get entangled in a kidnapping plot organized by the nefarious Semmerling. The piece is set in Chicago and Sonoda strived for authenticity so strongly, he not only did extensive research on the city but also hired a jazz band in the area to provide the soundtrack for the flick.

Part of the charm of the flick, besides some of the gags and the moral conflicts (basically, criminals versus more ruthless criminals) is how it mixes realism with far out anime elements. The world is fairly realistic with authentic weapons, vehicles, and settings with no "chibi" antics. Even the car that Bean Bandit uses - Buff the Road Buster - while hi-tech, supposedly was designed with technology that mostly existed at the time. Yet the title hero is the sort of superhuman bad-ass who could really only appear in an anime. Even the characters within the piece are dazzled at his feats of strength.

While the animation isn't the pinnacle of 1989, it is still very good for an OAV of the time, with some thrilling chases through the Chicago area. Overall it is a very engaging piece which is available for $8 online, far cheaper than the VHS era. This flick screamed memorability to me and even now, over 15 years since I first bought it, it entertains me.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #395
Hulk1968
An agent of chaos...

Thumbs up Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Black * Rock Shooter

Rinne no Lagrange (season 1)

Zero no Tsukaima F (season 3)

Highschool DxD

Nisenmonogatari (season 2 of Bakemonogatari)

Ano Natsu de Matteru

Papa no Iu Koto o Kikinasai!

Inu X Boku S.S.

Shakugan no Shana III

Maken-Ki!

Boku wa Tomadachi ga Sukuna

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)

Tamayura: Hitose

Invade! Squid Girl -Season 2

Guilty Crown

C^3 (Cubed X Curious X Cursed)

Hayate no Gotkou

Chaos; Head

Toradora!

New Series (Spring 2012)

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san

Medaka Box

Sankarea (my fave)

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Ozuma

Accel World

Hyouka!

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? Of the Dead! (season 2 of "Is this a Zombie?")

Nazo no Kanojo X

Last edited by Hulk1968; 05-22-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #396
UrbanX

Afro Samurai Ressurection

Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #397
Ironhorse75
Textbook Narcissist

Gurren Lagann. Classic.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #398
slicer4444
Side-Kick

Latest I finished: Afro Samurai, it was alright.

Currently working on: Samurai 7, really enjoying it so far.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #399
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Recently finished Trigun. The final episode could've had a bit more closure to it, and Knives' condition seemed somewhat ambiguous at the end there, but I absolutely loved it from start to finish. Wolfwood's arc in the final few episodes was brilliant and actually elevated the show somewhat I thought.

Currently watching Baccano! and Tenchi Universe.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #400
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Deadman Wonderland ep.1-12

Deadman Wonderland got my attention enough for me to give in and watch the entire the Japanese dub available on FUNI YouTube page.

Really liked it but I could tell they ran low on money throughout certain parts of the series as certain (a good deal) scenes were almost entirely blacked out. That got sort of annoying but I liked the characters enough for me to forgive that. I could also tell it was truncated a good deal from the source without even having to read it. You can just tell a lot was cut to fit in as much as possible.

I'll still be watching the dub on Toonami as I want to support it as much as I can.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Closed Thread