The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #51
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,373
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

As an Asian dude, I don't mind The Mandarian if it's handled well.

For example, I love David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. What made that character work was the writing, and also due to what the story is dealing with (Asian Mythology) you saw Asians of all types, good and bad. You saw them as people.

So if Iron Man 3 had Mandarin was THE villain, and he's the ONLY Asian dude in the movie, sure, that could be threading water.

Might I note, and I might be paint in broad strokes, Asians tend to be the passive of the ethnic groups. Hispanics/Latins and Blacks are very vocal when it comes stereotypes in the media, but Asian tend to be quiet. It could be a cultural thing, but it's something I've noticed.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #52
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,373
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

As an Asian dude, I don't mind The Mandarian if it's handled well.

For example, I love David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China. What made that character work was the writing, and also due to what the story is dealing with (Asian Mythology) you saw Asians of all types, good and bad. You saw them as people.

So if Iron Man 3 had Mandarin was THE villain, and he's the ONLY Asian dude in the movie, sure, that could be threading water.

Might I note, and I might be paint in broad strokes, Asians tend to be the passive of the ethnic groups. Hispanics/Latins and Blacks are very vocal when it comes stereotypes in the media, but Asian tend to be quiet. It could be a cultural thing, but it's something I've noticed.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #53
The Morningstar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The place in between...
Posts: 10,150
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

It's very simple, read the Knauf's Iron Man run. In particular "Haunted". It has Mandarin as the villain, and he's awesome and not a racist Asian caricature at all.

It'd be a perfect way to adapt him for a movie. He's kinda like the Asian version of Tony Stark, but obviously with a different philosophy. Ironically you could compare it to Sherlock/Moriarty.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #54
chamber-music
Hail Hydra
 
chamber-music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 23,758
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

If they use Mandarin I hope they stick to his original origin of being the son of a wealthy Chinese buisness man and English aristocrat instead of Fractions origin of Mandarin being the son of a opium den prostitute.

Instead of taking his rings from alien dragon ship Axonn-Karr they could have Mandarin take it from the serpent thing from The Avengers movie. One of his Ten Rings agents could take it from the wreckage after the Avengers defeat it.

__________________
King Of Strong Style

Last edited by chamber-music; 03-02-2012 at 05:16 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #55
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 18,362
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
If they use Mandarin I hope they stick to his original origin of being the son of a wealthy Chinese buisness man and English aristocrat instead of Fractions origin of Mandarin being the son of a opium den prostitute.

Instead of taking his rings from alien dragon ship Axonn-Karr they could have Mandarin take it from the serpent thing from The Avengers movie. One of his Ten Rings agents could take it from the wreckage after the Avengers defeat it.
It doesn't really matter who Mandarin gets his rings from (ie whether it's Axonn Karr or another name). It will still be the same idea. Iron Man 1 had Yinsen as Middle Eastern instead of Asian. It still had the same gist.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #56
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick
 
Shadowlord X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Big trouble in little China is a great movie.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #57
babykhris
Side-Kick
 
babykhris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 420
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

If The Mandarin isn't the villian I got the perfect solution....MODOK

AIM could be a splinter cell of HYDRA and before Iron Man and War Machine (It's obvious he'll be in the film) he could face smaller threats like Blizzard, Ghost and Living Laser.

I would want to see whoever is playing Jessica Jones in AKA Jessica Jones have a cameo to set up that show.

babykhris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick
 
Shadowlord X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Trinidad, West Indies
Posts: 1,812
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykhris View Post
If The Mandarin isn't the villian I got the perfect solution....MODOK

AIM could be a splinter cell of HYDRA and before Iron Man and War Machine (It's obvious he'll be in the film) he could face smaller threats like Blizzard, Ghost and Living Laser.

I would want to see whoever is playing Jessica Jones in AKA Jessica Jones have a cameo to set up that show.
I would prefer to see MODOK in a CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel. He's a difficult character to do properly IMO and not come off as cheesy; he may also be difficult to get accepted because of GL with Hector. He's a bit too out there for an IRON MAN sequel which has so far been a relatively grounded franchise. CAP has already had one out there villain in the RED SKULL so I think it makes sense to keep the such villains in that franchise IMO. Also he plays off CAP nicely as a lab experiment for a powerful mind vs body.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #59
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick
 
MarvelKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,581
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Yeah, I'd be all for Mandarin in IM3 unless they surprise us with Fin Fang Foom.

MODOK for Cap.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #60
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,373
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Personally, I think Fin Fang Foom is more offensive than Mandarin just by his stupid dated name.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #61
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 18,362
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Personally, I think Fin Fang Foom is more offensive than Mandarin just by his stupid dated name.
I don't know. I've actually come across Asian people with a very similar-sounding name (but something else instead of the Foom bit) and it instantly made me think of Fin Fang Foom. I'm sure they wouldn't say their own name is dated or offensive.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #62
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In the neighborhood!
Posts: 38,874
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

I think Mandarin would be best choice. We have been teased about his existence, so it is time to show us. It would be the best way to cap off Iron Man's trilogy, since we have no idea if IM4 will be made or not. At least with RDJ. I think having Fin Fang Foom is a meh idea, personally. I think using characters like Mandarin, Ghost, or even Madame Masque and Spymaster would work much better than the dragon would for Iron Man's movies. Even MODOK would work better.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,373
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I don't know. I've actually come across Asian people with a very similar-sounding name (but something else instead of the Foom bit) and it instantly made me think of Fin Fang Foom. I'm sure they wouldn't say their own name is dated or offensive.
I have to disagree. Maybe not offensive but kinda cheesy. At least those Asian people's names are authentic. Unless they're named 'Ching Chan Poop' then I would. be embarrassed for them!

The problem is that Fin Fang Foom sounds like a vaudeville spoof of an Asian name. I think his concept is kinda cool but he reeks of cheese. The purple pants don't help either; lightning doesn't strike twice in one spot says the Hulk!

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #64
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,504
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I have to disagree. Maybe not offensive but kinda cheesy. At least those Asian people's names are authentic. Unless they're named 'Ching Chan Poop' then I would. be embarrassed for them!

The problem is that Fin Fang Foom sounds like a vaudeville spoof of an Asian name. I think his concept is kinda cool but he reeks of cheese. The purple pants don't help either; lightning doesn't strike twice in one spot says the Hulk!
I'm not an expert on Foom, but couldn't there be a way to side-step the name issue somehow? I mean many Marvel comic characters accumulate a few aliases over time, does he have any? Also they could just forgo naming him at all in the movie (I don't think it's the first time something like that would have happened either), they could just use certain descriptions of him or call him the Makluan etc.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #65
Franklin Richards
Banned User
 
Franklin Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Baxter Building
Posts: 23,030
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Gotta turn the Mandarin into a Chinese Sorcerer and make him the bad guy.



Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #66
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,353
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think Mandarin would be best choice. We have been teased about his existence, so it is time to show us. It would be the best way to cap off Iron Man's trilogy, since we have no idea if IM4 will be made or not. At least with RDJ. I think having Fin Fang Foom is a meh idea, personally. I think using characters like Mandarin, Ghost, or even Madame Masque and Spymaster would work much better than the dragon would for Iron Man's movies. Even MODOK would work better.
Yep, agreed. Mandarin as the central villain utilizing Ghost, Madam Masque and other secondary rogues would make me very happy

__________________


Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Poni_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 AM   #67
Beikoku Taichou
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 31
Default Re: Who should be the villain in the next Iron Man movie

The villain of Iron Man 3 should be the Mandarin and
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
booze
.

Beikoku Taichou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.