The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #126
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Default Re: Brad Peyton Directing Lobo

Okay, yet again, to clear up a major discrepancy - and confusion I think is is due to word coming out just before 'The Avengers.' And A LOT of people not knowing the inner workings.

HOW DC MOVIE PROPERTIES WORK WITHIN WARNER BROTHERS

Each company is behind their own films.
Warner Bros. primarily gives the green-light and financial backing if they like it.
Warner Bros. sometimes distributes independent films from their own big companies (from big time producers they usually work with).
Each company has shelved scripts they want to get off the shelf as soon as possible.
None of these companies know the inner-workings or have influence over another's company.
Each company has their own blockbuster, usually one per year sometimes more.

Basically, due to the set-up, 'Lobo' has no influence on other DC properties.

SINCE SOME MIGHT WONDER ABOUT INDEPENDENT...

Some of the bigger companies have smaller 'independent' labels that they finance and are distributed through WB. I think this is part of the agreement made between WB and these company. Also a company needs to have a certain number of films in production at a given time, so some of the films out there - even the executives and vice president don't line up behind. I think this too may be part of the deal. Audience, unless knowing the inner-workings, would have no knowledge on what was or wasn't distributed through Warner Bros. due to their financing or as pure distribution alone.

Hopefully this will clear things up for many people and put these 'conspiracy theories' to rest.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #127
Airwings
Waves of air

Ultimatehero: What has the Avengers movie anything to do with Warner Bros?

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #128
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I like Lobo a lot, but I really don't care about this at all.

In a perfect world, Ron Perlman would have been perfect for this role I think despite his lack in size (barely 6'1). But alas, he is 62 now and probably isn't for him. A shame.

Don't know anything about the Director, but I hope he does the best with what he has to work with. it would be nice to see a good lobo movie. Pretty sure this should be rated R, no?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #129
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
Ultimatehero: What has the Avengers movie anything to do with Warner Bros?
The number of people on here with, no offense, no industry ties saying 'Lobo' is Warner Bros' response to 'The Avengers' rather than jumping to JLA or any of the other heroes. It sounded to me like you were amongst this camp, "quick to." When that is not how these companies, or at least Warner Bros, works.

If not, at least, the above will explain to you and others why:

"Interesting that Warner Bros were so quick on this project, but not putting any real effort in The Flash or Wonder Woman."

Makes absolutely no sense. This film is PURELY with Silver and didn't come about at all due to it being a DC property but merely character basis alone. Silver was interested in the character, not the DC label when they acquired the property. The question shouldn't be why is WB not working on those films - it should be why those respective companies with those properties aren't moving more forward on them. This kind of statement may be difficult to understand though without the above knowledge because it seems like a lot of people think film studios are one large unified being rather than tons of separate parts with WB basically just being the financial backer. For fans it's a DC comics property, everybody else? It's just a really cool character same as 'Sgt. Rock' for example.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 04-25-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #130
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

There are a lot of characters in DC's stable that would probably do well via live action, but they just need the right direction and screenplays on them.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #131
Karelia
We Are Groot

Their's a lot they could do with a Lobo film. I mean, he really hasn't had many break out comic books probably since the beginning (The Last Czarnian & Paramilitary Christmas Special are the only two that come to mind.) and the GA is most likely not familiar with Lobo. More freedom to do whatever with the character. You really only have to keep a few elements to a Lobo film for it to work, not really follow a strict storyline/origin. Plus the budget would probably be around (what others said) Hellboy/Blade. I could actually seeing it have the success of those films if it's a good film. Which would be awesome.

Lobo was suppose to have his own saturday morning series in the 90's... and a video game too. Both got scrapped. I still think a Video Game for Lobo (or Deadpool) would get a lot of gamers into these characters and make them were popular. I mean why wasn't Lobo in DC vs MK? Seems like a perfect game for him to be in. Never understood why we never got DLC for that game...

I bought this Lobo toy awhile back... Probably the coolest one I've seen:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Ultra-Violent Lobo film probably won't happen. And that's an important element to the character... But you can still make it work (S:TAS The Main Man Part I & II episodes) a saturday morning Lobo sounds ridiculous, but Bruce Timm & co. made it work.

Still rooting for KD.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited by Karelia; 04-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #132
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Okay, yet again, to clear up a major discrepancy - and confusion I think is is due to word coming out just before 'The Avengers.' And A LOT of people not knowing the inner workings.

HOW DC MOVIE PROPERTIES WORK WITHIN WARNER BROTHERS

Each company is behind their own films.
Warner Bros. primarily gives the green-light and financial backing if they like it.
Warner Bros. sometimes distributes independent films from their own big companies (from big time producers they usually work with).
Each company has shelved scripts they want to get off the shelf as soon as possible.
None of these companies know the inner-workings or have influence over another's company.
Each company has their own blockbuster, usually one per year sometimes more.

Basically, due to the set-up, 'Lobo' has no influence on other DC properties.

SINCE SOME MIGHT WONDER ABOUT INDEPENDENT...

Some of the bigger companies have smaller 'independent' labels that they finance and are distributed through WB. I think this is part of the agreement made between WB and these company. Also a company needs to have a certain number of films in production at a given time, so some of the films out there - even the executives and vice president don't line up behind. I think this too may be part of the deal. Audience, unless knowing the inner-workings, would have no knowledge on what was or wasn't distributed through Warner Bros. due to their financing or as pure distribution alone.

Hopefully this will clear things up for many people and put these 'conspiracy theories' to rest.
All this may be true but even when Nolan was busy shooting for TDK and Singer was due to make a presentation for his sequel to SR (both directors were opposed to a combined DC universe like JLA, and both Batman and Superman movies were made with Legendary pictures as partners.)

Still WB was going ahead at that time with George miller's Justice League : Mortal project, that shows that WB must be having the rights to make a JL movie with all these characters, even when the solo movies were at different production houses partnered with WB.

They must be have something in the agreements that they had with the various production houses that would allow them to make a JL movie.

In future if WB wants to make a JL movie, they can.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 04-25-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #133
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Obviously they have the rights. My whole thing is people looking at combined universes. And that example, as I've brought up before - different actors as Bats and Supes. I've even used that film as an example. You can either have something like that (different universe) or need them all under one company. Plus that post was in regards to why the 'Lobo is a response to Avengers' makes absolutely no sense. Lobo is a film they're interested in regardless of it being DC, it's just a very cool character. It is not holding back Flash, or Wonder Woman, or etc. - that's all up to those other companies.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #134
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Well...it's not like most people know who Lobo is.
Exactly.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #135
Thanos
Side-Kick

Vin Diesel.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #136
The Guard
Side-Kick

No.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #137
terry78

JDM is who I'm gunning for regarding this role.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #138
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
JDM is who I'm gunning for regarding this role.
This.

Here he already kind of looks like lobo.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #139
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

I love Lobo But I don't get why he gets a movie before others,Eh I'm still very interested though and so I can't wait to find out more!!

Last edited by LuisTX85; 05-12-2012 at 01:16 AM.
LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #140
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

honestly I think Lobo should just be the villain of a superman villain or Green Lantern film.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #141
terry78

That's basically like making the Hulk the villain. Lobo isn't a nice guy, but he usually only does damage for a bounty or some reason. He can team up with the JL if they give him reason or promise him something.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #142
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

well what I had mind for a GL movie he could play an informant type role, they cross paths, get information from him, they are intergalactic cops after all.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #143
Karelia
We Are Groot

C'mon y'all... Kevin Durand for Lobo!

JDM is cool though.

Maybe they'll put some cameos in the movie... Who would fit in a Lobo film?

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #144
LOBO3315a
Artificial Intelligence

Well, there is this:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Which goes to show you, you can do a LOBO story without lots of special effects, and it can be entertaining.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
LOBO3315a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #145
Jordanstine
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
So is this going to be WB's 2014 DC film?
Does Judge Dredd remake have a release date?

Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #146
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dwayne Johnson’s secret superhero project might be… Lobo!?

A couple of days ago Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson hit Twitter to hint that he may be involved in an upcoming superhero movie; that wet the undies of the comic-book fanboys.

The “Fast Five” star has been linked to numerous superhero movies over the years – including a Captain Marvel movie, another on Sub-Mariner, and, if I recall correctly, his name was amusingly being tossed about for Superman at one stage – but has nothing has ever worked out.

Still, it’s pretty much a given that the chiseled former wrestler will get to play a comic book hero sometime.

Might that time be fastly approaching?

Here’s what Johnson wrote on his Twitter a couple of days back :

Quote:
Funny U say that.. RT: @krystal_burt:@ron2smoove I could see Rock playing in DC movies. Gravedigger or John Stewart (JL’s Green Lantern)
Now here’s what our friends at Bleeding Cool reported earlier today :

“Bleeding Cool was told recently that The Rock is going to play Lobo in Brad Peyton´s upcoming film of the DC comics. An untested, unknown source opened up correspondance with us, and told us a tale of “a Hollywood party” at which Mr. Rock was a guest, and told some fellow partiers that he was going to take the Lobo role.”

Considering “Lobo” will be directed by Brad Peyton, who worked with Johnson on “Journey 2 : The Mysterious Island”, there’s a fairly good chance this scoop is on the money. Or, in the very least, that Johnson’s name has come up.

While the site, and anyone else interested in the going’s on of moviedom, search for some further evidence, what do you think of that – Rock as Lobo?
http://www.moviehole.net/201254194dw...-might-be-lobo

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...-rock-in-lobo/

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #147
Mario_Galaxy
Side-Kick

Rock could work. Dunno how to feel about Peyton, though. His track record isn't wonderful

Mario_Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #148
The Morningstar
Banned User

Man, i wanted Johnson for Drax.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #149
Batjag
Side-Kick

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, eh?

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it.

Batjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #150
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_Galaxy View Post
Rock could work. Dunno how to feel about Peyton, though. His track record isn't wonderful
Those were committee-run sequels for a guy just starting out. He delivered WB a hit in Journey 2 and took his pick of WB's projects and pitched Lobo. There's a short film he did that I posted a couple pages back that's much closer to Lobo than his other movies.