The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 04-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Shifty
Alcoholic Genius

Default Re: HBO's Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Oh, I'm sure it's going to get a second season already.

But 10 epsisode over two seasons equals one Freaks and Geeks.
They'll get a second season in hopes that the fan base grows. Hung had 3x the audience of Girls for its first season but only lasted for 3 seasons.

Girls is just the next generation of low rated comedies after HBO cleared out Hung, Bored to Death, How To Make It In America, The Life & Times Of Tim and Angry Boys.

If Enlightened doesn't gain another 600,000 viewers for their second season, they'll be gone after two seasons.

Rick and Morty
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
these characters seem to be examples of "privileged white people" but how is that so different from 75% of other shows out there?
It's HBO. People expect better from them. If this aired on Showtime, no one would care. But it's HBO.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

I have only seen the first episode, but I liked it quite a bit. Not understanding the criticism.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #29
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I find the race thing an interesting discussion, because it is reflective of the culture, however I don't think HBO should insist on one of the friends to be black just to be PC. The show is clearly written on Dunham's experience or people she knows. The title Girls means that they're still childish and spoiled, even if they're "adults." That's why they live in a bubble even in Brooklyn where only one of them has a real job and they only hang out with people just like them (sheltered, college-educated, white girls). It's more reflective on our culture's tendency to segregate itself. Long as this NYC has diversity and isn't as white-washed as Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace and all those other network shows, I'm fine with the characters being insulated.

All that said, I actually liked the pilot better than the second episode. It had some funny elements, but it feels like it may be an indie film reflecting a certain type of lifestyle. I'm not sure it can be stretched into a series just yet.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #30
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I find the race thing an interesting discussion, because it is reflective of the culture, however I don't think HBO should insist on one of the friends to be black just to be PC. The show is clearly written on Dunham's experience or people she knows. The title Girls means that they're still childish and spoiled, even if they're "adults." That's why they live in a bubble even in Brooklyn where only one of them has a real job and they only hang out with people just like them (sheltered, college-educated, white girls). It's more reflective on our culture's tendency to segregate itself. Long as this NYC has diversity and isn't as white-washed as Friends, Seinfeld, Will & Grace and all those other network shows, I'm fine with the characters being insulated.
That's fine and all, but most people don't relate to it. So, HBO shouldn't have been so quick to greenlit it. They should have give How To Make It In America a third season or found a better substitute for it. Right now, no one wants to watch a show about spoiled white girls. Especially one that's airing after Game of Thrones which is escapist entertainment for the masses.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #31
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Well enough people are watching it to keep it around for now.

Primal Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

What are the ratings?

Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #33
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Speaking of, Girls (858,000 and 257,000) was steady with 1.1 million viewers across two airings.
Just slightly lower than Veep.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Darkman View Post
That's fine and all, but most people don't relate to it. So, HBO shouldn't have been so quick to greenlit it. They should have give How To Make It In America a third season or found a better substitute for it. Right now, no one wants to watch a show about spoiled white girls. Especially one that's airing after Game of Thrones which is escapist entertainment for the masses.
I didn't realize that you had to be able to relate to people to find their stories interesting. I don't think many people can relate to Entourage, not to mention the main characters were incredibly spoiled and shallow, as well. Yet, that show was a major hit. I know, I know, wish fulfillment and all that. But I'm glad HBO is opening to exploring the ways different types of people live and doesn't try and placate to appeal to all demographics like the networks. HBO made its bones on niche programming. I'm still not sure this show will work as a series (interesting in the pilot, but if it's just about their lifestyles it will get old quick), but I'm glad they gave it a chance. It's got better ratings than How to Make It which I found incredibly boring and tedious on all levels after one episode. Still glad they tried that show, as well.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #35
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
I didn't realize that you had to be able to relate to people to find their stories interesting. I don't think many people can relate to Entourage, not to mention the main characters were incredibly spoiled and shallow, as well. Yet, that show was a major hit. I know, I know, wish fulfillment and all that. But I'm glad HBO is opening to exploring the ways different types of people live and doesn't try and placate to appeal to all demographics like the networks. HBO made its bones on niche programming. I'm still not sure this show will work as a series (interesting in the pilot, but if it's just about their lifestyles it will get old quick), but I'm glad they gave it a chance. It's got better ratings than How to Make It which I found incredibly boring and tedious on all levels after one episode. Still glad they tried that show, as well.
Entourage wasn't about relating anymore than the Hangover is about "your" bachelor party. It's watching shallow people being shallow.

Girls, fair or unfair, was promoted as this true to life/"OMG this is about real women cause the lead isn't pretty!" hype was huge. Now we're acting like the backlash shouldn't be as huge as the overhype?

Even as a POC, I saw something like Roseanne as representative of struggle lower class family life. Messy house, family dynamic, etc.

This seems like Sex and the City for the Recessionista. The bubble burst and now the dream is gone. Not really the life of 20 somethings struggling in general(privileged or not).

Old 04-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #36
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

If they switched one character to be black I dont think that it should make the "OMG this is about real women cause the lead isn't pretty!" any truer than with the cast we now. Sure it would be nice to have someone with more color to them but it shouldnt make it or break it. Changing the color isnt going to make the show any more better.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #37
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
If they switched one character to be black I dont think that it should make the "OMG this is about real women cause the lead isn't pretty!" any truer than with the cast we now. Sure it would be nice to have someone with more color to them but it shouldnt make it or break it. Changing the color isnt going to make the show any more better.
But, black isn't the default for diversity. There could have been any race or I don't know, mixed ethnicity(which would maintain the white-privileged upbringing).

Most of the criticism I've seen is that the world they inhabit is white as crap. If it was the Lena Dunaham show then yeah, but 4 girls living in a city aren't going to have the same experience. Sure, the lead's three close BFFs are white and a tight-knit group but the other three don't come across as the same kind of losers and have interactions that could easily lead to them interacting with POC at lunch or any other.

So far, it's only been two eps so we don't know yet, the diversity is as interactive as Mad Men's black waiter in the first season.

Trust me, I know about the segregation of racial lines but even for this llly- white schooled liberal arts college major, this is a bit much.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #38
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I think it is certainly more intelligent and honest than Sex and the City which I always thought was grating.
Honestly, and speaking as a female who lived that NYC life in her 20s that Girls depicts...I'd rather watch Sex and the City. The lifestyle was total fantasy, but the stories could be quite relatable more often than not (it really was, trust me) and it was funny as hell.

I wasn't all that impressed with Girls. I just found all of the characters annoyingly bratty. It also made me glad that I'm in my 30s now.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Girls, fair or unfair, was promoted as this true to life/"OMG this is about real women cause the lead isn't pretty!" hype was huge. Now we're acting like the backlash shouldn't be as huge as the overhype?
Exactly. Entourage was never sold to be relatable. It was always meant as entertainment. Girls is supposed to be the voice of a generation, but it clearly isn't at all. Plus, let's not ignore the fact that none of the characters are likable. Entourage, and even Sex & the City, had characters that audiences enjoyed watching like Ari Gold and Samantha. All the characters on Girls are bland and boring. Which is disappointing considering that Judd Apatow is involved. This is the guy who gave us Freaks & Geeks. So, this is a MAJOR step-down for him.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #40
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I really like this show in all its absurdity

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

There's usually one scene per ep that makes me think highly of this show.

Hannah getting chewed out by her gay ex in episode 3 and then Hannah's Diary being sung by Marnie's boyfriend in ep 4.

I still can't stand Jessa(?) and Shosanna is played by the actress better than the character is written.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #42
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

This was a FUNNY episode. Couldnt stop laughing. And hey 2 black people showed up! In the blink and you will miss them kind of way but hey they were still there.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #43
Ken-Kaniff
Blue Steel!

Not bad, not good either. Nothing special to be honest.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #44
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Donald Glover is coming in for season 2, at least for one episode:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...#ixzz1vEXatZfk

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #45
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

^Yes!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #46
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

The episode last week where they were at the rave was probably the best one of the season (IMO), but I think they took a step back this week. While I enjoyed Jessa and Marnie's lesbian make-out session, I don't understand why Shoshanna keeps disappearing from the show. The reason Sex and the City worked was because all four of the main characters were showcased and had their own unique perspectives and adventures. But here, it's almost as if Lena Dunham isn't interested in the Shoshanna character (who admittedly wasn't written well in the first couple episodes but got better) and keeps dropping her from the show. I was interested to know what happened after the crack-smoking incident with Ray (mainly because he's the only male character on the show I really like) but they thought we'd be more interested in seeing Marnie look at FB photos of her ex, Jessa be her usual b**ch self and Hannah still trying to "figure out" Adam. They need to balance it out a bit more.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

The shower scene was amazing. Adam is such a great character.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #48
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I enjoyed Jessa and Marnie's lesbian make-out session
The show finally got something right.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #49
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

Brian William's daughter is hot

Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #50
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yes, yes she is. But watching her make out with that fat guy in the last episode made me want to throw up. Seriously, if there's one thing this show fails at epically, it's with her character's lovelife. In the real world, a girl that hot would be beating off guys with a stick. But in this universe she's hooked up with:

1. Captain Candyass (the ex-boyfriend) who looks like a really tall 12-year-old.
2. Jorma Taccone... who is... Jorma Taccone.
3. Some annoying Seth Rogen wannabe.

At least she made out with the British babe. That was nice. Would have liked to see more of that.