Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 1

Where'd this info come from?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #52
Sebastos
Bebop User

Over at CBM there's an article in which Scarlet confirms she won't be in IM3, not sure about Cheadle though.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #53
wonderwoman5757
Side-Kick

who is jamie? and what's this cheadle news? where did that come from?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #54
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I can live with no ScarJo in IM. I don't care either way about Cheadle. If it is going to be Iron Man-centric, I hope he isn't in it. If anything, vaguely reference him taking care of things in the US (since I assume part of the movie will take place in china?)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #55
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Samurai View Post
Having just read Invincible Iron Man #513 featured the Chinese Avengers The Dynasty they immediately popped into my head

Invincible Iron Man #513

And then we have Extemis rumors. IM3 is sounding very intriguing.
Can't be a coincidence.
Still, I'd rather not see them spending too much time developing a new "Chinese Avengers" in the movie, since most of these new "Dynasty" characters are little more than Chinese variants of classic Marvel heroes. I could see Lau's character becoming a "name" superhero, but I don't think we'll see a full-blown Chinese superhero team.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #56
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Who's Jamie. I've heard Scarlett say she's not in it but nothing from Cheadle yet. With his TV show, I could possibly see why he wouldn't be in it.
He's a mod here, goes by FilmNerdJamie. He also runs the entertainment blog Think McFly Think with Peter Georgiou (Showtime here on SHH!). Very well connected with studio insiders.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #57
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
He's a mod here, goes by FilmNerdJamie. He also runs the entertainment blog Think McFly Think with Peter Georgiou (Showtime here on SHH!). Very well connected with studio insiders.
Don Cheadle himself calls "BOOSHEET" on that:

http://www.accesshollywood.com/2012-..._video_1378998

Old 04-25-2012, 11:52 PM   #58
Ironfan72
Golden Avenger

I did see where Scarlett Jo said she would not be in IM3, which is fine, this is supposed to be a Iron Man exclusive movie, and not having Blackwidow in the movie reinforces that direction.
After watching Cheadle talk about his role in IM3, its good to see both Stark and Rhodes interact, while they have had their falling outs in the comics they are great friends and allies.
Going back to some of what has been talked about here, I can see the complaints by new iron man fans or people not familar with Iron Man not wanting more armor vs armor, but as has been said, in order to be a threat to Stark his enemy needs to be as close an equal as possible, Whiplash took is shot at Stark during an auto race with no armor, Venko had no idea Stark had that suit case armor, and when he took his second shot at Stark, he had 2 dozen Hammer drones, took over War Machine and had his own armor, so this will make sense if they show Mandarin defeating Chinese armored heroes just to show that Mandarin is a true threat, at one time Mandarin himself wore armor, during the 80's he wore armor, but that said, with the introduction of Thor's universe where technology can be seen as magic, have Mandarin possess ten rings of different power is no longer far fetched in MCU, Mandarin is to Iron Man what the Joker is to Batman or Dr. Doom is to the Fantastic Four, his arch enemy and a threat to not just Iron man but the world.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #59
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
i like Jaimie but he's been wrong before (like many in the blogsphere, including the big dogs. It's just tons of Chinese whispers sometimes, and it's so competitive to get scoops that sometimes a few will jump the gun to release it out to the public. And yes, I said Chinese Whispers..very appropriate!) :0

I can believe the ScarJo bit, but not Rhodey. I felt that Don Chedle's Rhodey in Iron Man 2 was under-written, and lacked the warmth that Terrance's Rhodey had. I preferred Terrance only because of his more passive demeanor, which I liked. He felt like the 'voice of reason' without being a hardass but more as a friend. While Don's Rhodey came off as too stern.

Last edited by Octoberist; 04-26-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #60
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post

There you go. You can't have Iron Man without Rhodey. Now the question is Happy Hogan and if Jon Favs has time to do it IF he's actually gonna work on Magic Kingdom (which has been super quiet as of late).

Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #61
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

After all these casting news on top of Black as the director for IM3, this is the MCU movie I'm most excited for. I'm glad it's shaping up great, because after TDKR I'm gonna need a movie to follow!

Old 04-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #62
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:

Cheadle also talked about being in a SHIELD movie and his own spinoff... I feel like he has never actually had any prior knowledge on anything and just makes up **** to feed to the press.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #63
JackMercy
Side-Kick

"I wasn't in it enough. They need to go back to the drawing board."

Heh. Really? We'll see...

Didn't know Cheadle had James Cameron's power and sway during the pre-production process...

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #64
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
"I wasn't in it enough. They need to go back to the drawing board."

Heh. Really? We'll see...

Didn't know Cheadle had James Cameron's power and sway during the pre-production process...

He wasn't smiling when he said it, but I'm pretty sure Cheadle was just being sarcastic there.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #65
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

People complained about War Machine being in Iron Man 2, maybe they should take him out .

- CM Punk
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #66
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Just make him lock his keys in the armor.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #67
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

I might be the minority in this but I didn't like Cheadle as WM. I'd prefer Howard back or if not a recast.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

No one wants to hire Howard right now. He's kind of burned his bridges.

- CM Punk
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #69
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Yeah I heard he was an ass when negotiating for IM2.

But he was 10X better than Cheadle.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #70
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Cheadle is by far the superior actor imo. Would love to have him back, War Machine less so but I'm not going to rampage if he's included.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM   #71
Chris B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I hear people complain about "too many armors," and maybe even RDJ himself feels like it dilutes his character or steals his spotlight, I dunno; but the fact of the matter is that anyone who's read Iron Man comics knows full well that it's *always* been about armors. Heck, even the popular Armored Adventures toon even expands on it by making Mandarin basically another armored villain.
I just think it would be a bit contrived for there to be this Chinese army of Iron Men that just comes out of no where to help out. Which I think does take away from the uniqueness of Iron Man because it looks like anyone can just make a suit of their own.

Especially after a common thread in the films has been Stark is really the only one who can pull it off. Stane couldn't figure out how to power the Iron Monger suit, Hammer couldn't successfully pull it off despite his resources, and Vanko was only able to do it because he was the son of the co-inventor of the arc reactor tech.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #72
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
I just think it would be a bit contrived for there to be this Chinese army of Iron Men that just comes out of no where to help out. Which I think does take away from the uniqueness of Iron Man because it looks like anyone can just make a suit of their own.

Especially after a common thread in the films has been Stark is really the only one who can pull it off. Stane couldn't figure out how to power the Iron Monger suit, Hammer couldn't successfully pull it off despite his resources, and Vanko was only able to do it because he was the son of the co-inventor of the arc reactor tech.
But again, that's a recurring theme in Iron Man comics. There's plenty of rival corporations and nations that try to duplicate or even outright steal Stark technology to make their own battlesuits (or mechs or robots) but they always wind up being inferior to Tony's.

When the US armed forces got hold of the War Machine armor in IM2, it's inevitable that other countries --- especially China, who's fast becoming the new "evil empire" for all red-blooded Amurrican commie-haters --- would feel threatened and start their own arms race to close the "battle armor gap."

So I see it not playing out as a last-minute deus ex by a bunch of Chinese rocket men, but rather having the Chinese suits revealed early on to Stark, and Stark and Lau's character being forced into an uneasy alliance, with neither fully trusting the other.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #73
The Guard
Side-Kick

I wouldn't mind if The Mandarin wore armor at some point, as long as it was sleeker and more advanced. Nanotech to me means "smaller".

And since "The Ten Rings" was the name of the terrorist organization in IRON MAN, I would imagine they're at least going to homage the rings. I don't see the Mandarin having ten rings, each with a different outlandish function, but I can see him having ten very high tech rings due to nanotech, and a few of them having a specific function, and the idea that the rest also do something.

One of them could be a weapon. I could see a disintigration beam being fairly realistic. An electro blast is basically a taser. One of them could be a remote control device of sorts.

And maybe someone asks "What do the others do?", and we get something along the line of "You don't want to know".

The ice and flame blasts, white and black light, vortex and matter rearranger rings are probably unrealistic and a little bit much. The mental control ring...probably unrealistic. Or maybe they'll go full on alien and go for it. I doubt it, but...

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #74
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I don't think many people think Mandarin could be translated to the screen and have his ten rings all have outlandish powers like death ray, flame ray, disinta-ray etc. I think they still want to see the rings have some sort of power, but something less cartoony, maybe they don't even need to have individual powers as such. But I still think Mandarin has to have those rings and they do have to be a source of power.

I would also prefer him not to have an armoured suit, he's one of the few IM villains that truly doesn't need one to fight him. I still have trouble seeing Kingsley (if he is the Mandarin) in a suit of armour.

Also the armoured Chinese warriors is an interesting rumour. I'll admit that too many armours does run a risk of diluting Iron Man's abilities and it could reduce IM3 to 'way too much armour on armour fights', but I'm interested to see who Lau is playing. I'm hoping for a Chinese Titanium Man. Either that or as others have said Radioactive man could be interesting (and more likely not armoured).

I wouldn't mind seeing these sort of looks for either character.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Although just thinking out loud. I saw someone here saying something about Stark saying to the bad guy in Extremis that at the end he could have become the same as the villain and it's only right it's Stark himself who stops him. What if Lau who's rumoured to be playing a scientist friend of Stark's becomes the Mandarin and his character in IM3 acts as a mirror to Iron Man's character? Which I think would also act to 'bring Stark back to the cave' metaphorically like Feige stated they wanted to do by making him re-evaluate his entire journey as Iron Man.

Also lastly, I can't see them going without Cheadle or at least War Machine/Rhodey. Even if IM2 had too many armours Rhodey was established as one of the leading support characters (Stark's best buddy) and was prominent in both of the previous films. It's not like the Avengers where his absence isn't a great loss, here it really is a wtf moment. That's why I can't really put any faith in rumours until I see the announced main cast list.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 04-27-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #75
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Jamie says that Scarlett Johannson and Don Cheadle will NOT be reprising their roles as Black Widow or Rhodey in Iron Man 3. WTF?
If that's true, then that is full of win. If they want to make this film as good as the first one if not better, they need to cut out the fat. I want it to focus on Stark/Iron man, not him AND War Machine. Also, ScarJo has no reason to be in this film.

Closed Thread