The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #301
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: What Green Lantern got right

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
And I don't see how Hal isn't believable as a character and his arc. It's not the greatest of arcs but it does make sense, especially if you've seen the extended cut.
The extended cut adds nothing to his arc. It adds nothing to the movie really, apart from more scenes with them as children and another example of how the score is pitiful.

He's all jokey and cracks wise. But he's also an arrogant douche. We are led to believe this is some kind of defense mechanism because he's scared? Ok, i can buy that. Different people deal with tragedies in different ways.

But the tragedy part, was laughable. People literally were laughing at that flashback scene in the cinema. So right away Hal's arc is off to a bad start.

So let's cut a long story short. Basically, he's scared. So why the **** did the ring come to him? The ring was after someone who was fearless. Not someone who can overcome fear. Whatever.

And then, Hal goes from this mopey, reluctant hero, to the saviour of the universe after Carol simply says "You can overcome fear". Are you ****ing kidding me?

To boil it all down, what separates Stark and Jordan as characters is shown in the first use of their powers.

Stark: He goes back to where he was captured and kills a load of terrorists, destroying his weapons which they were using, freeing a bunch of civilians.

Hal: Smashes a bunch of guys who lost their jobs BECAUSE OF HIS ARROGANCE with his big green fist. One of those guys went flying into a brick wall which broke. The guy must have had a broken spine from that. Oh and i gotta mention the terribly desperate Hot Wheels advert. Why not just you know, stop the helicopter from crashing instead of turning it into a Hot Wheels track thing? Yes his nephew had one, but that's nothing but a smoke screen for some licensing money.

Yea, what a great guy Hal Jordan is.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #302
The Guard
Side-Kick

IRON MAN presents a very basic redemption story. There's no great depth to it. It's just the basic redemption story. It's satisfying because that's who Tony Stark is, and that's what we expect to happen in his origin, and with Iron Man.

Likewise, GREEN LANTERN has a very clear redemption story and character arc. The extended cut isn't even required to figure it out. It's very clear.

Quote:
I think the arc makes sense, they just didnt execute it very well, Hal literally goes from loser to hero after Carol tells him he can overcome fear, and this is towards the end of the movie right before the final battle.
That's simply not true.

He doesn't just "go from loser to hero".

There is a clearly defined and somewhat subtle character progression/change for his arc. There's not one moment where he suddenly just "changes". There is a moment where he is inspired to continue.

Quote:
He is then suddenly this righteous hero for the last act. I think if Carol's talk had been earlier in the movie, the turn would have been more effective and had a bigger impact. As it is, it was sort of rushed over in the movie we got.
He's not "suddenly" the righteous hero. He's Hal Jordan with a Power Ring. He's been brave since the film started. He decides, even if he can't be Green Lantern with the Corps, to use it to help out on Earth. This is how it has always been, and pretty much how it should be.

Quote:
But the tragedy part, was laughable. People literally were laughing at that flashback scene in the cinema. So right away Hal's arc is off to a bad start.
I didn't find anything laughable or parodic about it. I don't know anyone who bothers to laugh at slightly awkward insertions and editing. Maybe your theatre was filled with those who were easily and oddly amused?

Quote:
So let's cut a long story short. Basically, he's scared. So why the **** did the ring come to him? The ring was after someone who was fearless. Not someone who can overcome fear. Whatever.
No, not "Whatever". The ring chose him because he could overcome fear, and become fearless.

Quote:
And then, Hal goes from this mopey, reluctant hero, to the saviour of the universe after Carol simply says "You can overcome fear". Are you ****ing kidding me?
If it was a single line of dialogue about him overcoming fear and then he goes from ******* Hal to Green Lantern, I'd agree with you. But there's a progression before that, showing him confronting, and then starting to overcome, his various fears.

There are several conversations and sequences about his issues and his changing viewpoints toward them. Hal being inspired to continue being a hero by Carol is no different than Stark being inspired by Yinsen, Wayne being inspired by Rachel, Peter being inspired by Uncle Ben, etc, etc, etc throughout superhero lore and mythology.

Quote:
To boil it all down, what separates Stark and Jordan as characters is shown in the first use of their powers.

Stark: He goes back to where he was captured and kills a load of terrorists, destroying his weapons which they were using, freeing a bunch of civilians.

Hal: Smashes a bunch of guys who lost their jobs BECAUSE OF HIS ARROGANCE with his big green fist. One of those guys went flying into a brick wall which broke. The guy must have had a broken spine from that. Oh and i gotta mention the terribly desperate Hot Wheels advert. Why not just you know, stop the helicopter from crashing instead of turning it into a Hot Wheels track thing? Yes his nephew had one, but that's nothing but a smoke screen for some licensing money.
So your point is what, that they are different characters with different perspectives, places in the world and missions?

Ok.

First, Hal was being attacked by multiple men. Hal striking back when he should be staying down and beaten is one more thing that shows his resilience, his courage despite overwhelming odds. It's relevant to his character, and to the film. It's showcasing his will.

And that's just the first accidental use of his power. He didn't even know he had that power.

The first conscious use of Hal's powers was during his training.

The first constructive use of his powers was to fly home, and then to save Carol Ferris and dozens of party guests from the runaway helicopter.

[quote\Why not just stop the copter from crashing rather than turning it into a Hot Wheels track?[/quote]

For the same reason he makes giant boxing gloves, bats, fire extinguishers, etc.

That's the sort of thing Green Lantern does. He has fun.

Quote:
Yea, what a great guy Hal Jordan is.
No one ever said or showed that Hal Jordan was a great man. Only that he had the potential to overcome fear.

It's fun to watch people complain about Hal Jordan being an arrogant, reckless, irresponsible person. It's like watching people whine about Bruce Wayne pretending to be a playboy, or about Tony Stark being an egotistical, competitive womanizer.

And it's kind of funny that people think that Tony Stark is this great guy despite what see from him during the films

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #303
The Morningstar
Banned User

Stark is playful with his douchiness though, there is no malice in it. Hal though, well, he cost hundreds of people their jobs because he broke the rules of engagement, whilst sacrificing his wing man, just to show off. And he didn't seem to give a ****. And Reynolds is no RDJ, even though i do like him.

You say the scene where Hal defends himself is showcasing his will? Maybe. It's also showcasing that he is a prick. One of those guys was probably paralysed after that, seeing as he hit a brick wall hard enough to collapse it. Those guys had every right to beat the **** out of Hal. He's an *******, no two ways about it.

People were laughing at the flashback scene because it came out of nowhere and was just comical. Why did Hal freak out on this particular occasion? It's just terrible, contrived writing.

And what progression was there from when he returned to Earth and got his pep talk near the end?

Stark's redemption story was simple, but simple is sometimes, most times, the best way to do things. As long as they are executed well, which it was. And it had a nice "**** the capitalist military industrial complex" theme behind it too.

Last edited by The Morningstar; 03-12-2012 at 01:22 PM.
The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #304
cronosred
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
Stark is playful with his douchiness though, there is no malice in it. Hal though, well, he cost hundreds of people their jobs because he broke the rules of engagement, whilst sacrificing his wing man, just to show off. And he didn't seem to give a ****. And Reynolds is no RDJ, even though i do like him.
And how can Stark afford to be a playful douche oh yeah he makes a lot of money from weapons that are used to kill people, Thor's a douche that put his friends lives at risk but I can see how that's better then a guy being a douche by showing computers can't always replace humans.

Last edited by cronosred; 03-12-2012 at 03:00 PM.
cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #305
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's not really any malice in Ryan's "douchiness" either. It clearly stems from his own insecurities and his own character flaws. IE, he is reckless and doesn't think things through. It's a facade. And there was no malice to his actions on the training field either. He was showing off, but he was also doing what he needed to do to win. He did not intend to blow the contract, or hurt Carol or the company.

Quote:
You say the scene where Hal defends himself is showcasing his will? Maybe. It's also showcasing that he is a prick. One of those guys was probably paralysed after that, seeing as he hit a brick wall hard enough to collapse it. Those guys had every right to beat the **** out of Hal. He's an *******, no two ways about it.
I don't think there's any maybe about it. It takes courage and will to stand up to several attackers when you've already effectively been beaten. Some stupidity too perhaps, but that often goes hand in hand with courage and will.

Legally speaking, Hal has a right to defend himself when he does. He's being attacked without provocation. His actions indirectly costing Ferris the contract and the jobs of the others (which wasn't his call anyway) is not good enough reason for the men to harm him.

Hal didn't cause the man to fly into a brick wall, the ring did. Hal was unaware of the ring's power at a time. If the man is paralyzed, it's because he got in a fight he shouldn't have been involved in in the first place. And if the brick wall collapsed, obviously it wasn't THAT solid, and it follows that the man may well have survived an impact like that with a less life altering injury.

They did not have "every right" to beat the **** out of Hal. They had every right to be angry at him, not to beat the **** out of him.

Quote:
People were laughing at the flashback scene because it came out of nowhere and was just comical. Why did Hal freak out on this particular occasion? It's just terrible, contrived writing.
Except that there's nothing comical about it. It's a kid being blown backward off his feet as he runs toward his father, who explodes and burns to death after crashing.

It wasn't executed particularly well, because there wasn't a lot of emotional set up.

But it did not come out of nowhere. The timing of his flashback is completely logical.

Why did Hal freak out on this particular occassion? Hmm...why would a pilot freak out in the at situation?

Because for all his bravado and confidence, he had lost control of the plane. His plane appeared to be dead, and was spinning. And to top it off, it reminded him of the trauma of seeing his father die. People have panick attacks and fear over far less. It's entirely possible that this particular scenario had never happened to Hal before, and that it reminded him of what happened to his father.

Is it the most efficient, effective it could have been? No. Bad, illogical writing? Hardly.

ALL writing is contrived. At least the inclusion of this sequence was logical, if awkwardly inserted. Though on further viewings, I've found it less awkward.

Quote:
And what progression was there from when he returned to Earth and got his pep talk near the end?
Oh, how I wish I could find that writeup I did on it a few weeks ago. His character progression involves every scene he's in. We can't limit him to just his time returning from Earth in order to see development. Character development usually encompasses an entire film.

Hal starts off basically seeming like a reckless, irresponsible *******. He's apparently sleeping around, bragging to Carol about his talent at flying, he's hiding his insecurities over their relationship despite her insults, etc.

Hal gets into the plane. He continues to brag, to show off, and to be reckless during the flight. The incident happens, and he is badly shaken, showing fear for the first time.

After he crashes the plane, Hal continues to hide his fear behind a mask of bravado, even after Carol figures out what happened. She points out what happened with the contracts, and that others will lose their jobs. Hal is shaken. He still hides his insecurity behind false bravado. "You can't fire me, I quit".

At his nephew's birthday party, Hal continues to deny that he was afraid, but we start to see cracks in his facade now that he's with family. His family's words hurt, and he knows they are true. He finally almost admits he was afraid to die to his nephew.

Hal is taken from outside his brother's house to where Abin Sur is. When he finds Abin Sur, Hal is visibly shaken. He maintains his composure, because saving Abin Sur is more important. Hal is a little freaked out by Abin Sur and the lantern, but eventually his curiousity gets the better of him, and he tries the lantern out. He is awed by what he finds.

Hal, having now been through an experience that required courage, realizes that he has wronged Carol. He's unable to say it, but he does open up about the fears over what would have happened to their relationship. He's still unable to admit he experienced fear during the flight, or that he's still having issues.

Outside the bar, Hal is attacked by former coworkers. The ring's power manifests. He is taken to Oa, and initially terrified, but again, managers to calm himself down, and is awed by the experience and the scale and implications of his new power. After calming down, Hal begins to take to the idea of being a Green Lantern.

During the ringwielding training, when he sees what he's up against, Hal tries to cover his inexperience and ineptitude with old tricks, bravado and recklessness. His old attitude kicks in as he finds himself outmatched. Sinestro's statements echo Hal's thoughts. He's not good enough. He decides to quit, rather than face not being good enough and failing at what he feels is a task too great for him. He is visibly afraid again. We're halfway through the film.

Hal returns to Earth, visibly shaken, afraid, and embarassed. Carol reassures him that Ferris may not be down and out. He feels a little better.

At the Ferris event, Hal embraces his power and becomes Green Lantern to rescue the Ferris partygoers and Carol.

Hal brags a little about his powers to Tom. He goes to see Carol, still masked, still hiding his true self from her. She recognizes him. It is now, that he is at his most vulnerable, and yet his most balanced, that he can open up to Carol, and admit to his fears, and to feeling he's not good enough. He is open about it.

Hal, buyoed with new confidence, faces down Hector Hammond. He gets his butt handed to him, and is infected with fear. This is the point where he is at his lowest thus far, and the fear incapacitates him. After this, he doubts himself again, having faced a major test and having failed it.

While he is afraid again, and despairing more than ever, Carol talks to him, and helps him realize that even though he is afraid, he can overcome fear, and that is why the ring chose him.

Hal appeals to The Guardians and Sinestro, believing he cannot do it himself. When they refuse to help, he chooses to face Parallax alone. He is tested again after a battle with Parallax, with a large amount of fear to overcome, and he finally overcomes this to save Coast City and the world.

Hal's whole character progression is a balancing act with subtle shifts in character after various "tests", because that's where Hal needs to go to become Green Lantern. The whole point of Hal's arc is this: He is afraid, but he has to be able to admit it to himself, and others, in order to overcome his own insecurities, and the finally overcome fear. He also gradually goes from being reckless to more ordered and logical in his approach to things, including his love life.

Quote:
Stark's redemption story was simple, but simple is sometimes, most times, the best way to do things. As long as they are executed well, which it was. And it had a nice "**** the capitalist military industrial complex" theme behind it too.
Well, Hal's redemption story was simple too.

And there was a nice "**** the fear cloud" theme behind it.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 03-12-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #306
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^The main problem I had with all of that progression though was that it didnt take the world ending to make Hal over-come his fear, it was a pep talk from his ex-girlfriend. If after seeing Parallax through Hammonds thoughts he THEN decided he was going to over-come his fear it would have been much more effective.

I think if Carol's pep-talk would have been BEFORE the Hammond fight, it would have improved his character turn to no end. Then despite being beaten by Hammond he realises the world is literally at stake as Parallax is coming, THEN his scene with Sinestro and the Guardians should happen, followed by the fight with Parallax.

A few simple changes like this could have made a whole lot of difference to the movie IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #307
The Guard
Side-Kick

I really think he needed to be beat down and despondent before her talk with him would have maximum effect. So it would have had to have taken place after the Hammond altercation and before the Parallax one. Isn't that where it was?

And if I'm right
Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #308
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yeah thats the right order it was in the movie but I would have changed it personally. It just seems really forced that a pep talk from his ex can turn him from someone filled with fear to someone who can take on a creature which is literally a threat to the universe. I also thought he didnt even do too bad in the Hammond fight, he was actually on top until a quick loss of concentration cost him.

Sorry it just didnt sit right, maybe the pep talk combined with him suddenly remembering something his dad said when he was a kid, or ANYTHING more than just the pep talk would have done. I especially found it stupid that AFTER Carol gave him the pep talk she was telling Hal he couldnt defeat Parallax. There were just some really poor narrative decisions in the movie which brought it down at the wrong times for me.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)WOWS-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)The Equalizer-7(17)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(18)47 Ronin-6(19)Monuments Men-5(20)Ride Along-5(21)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 03-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #309
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

The script needed major revisions and it showed, the other problem was that people wanted to see a relateable, likable Hal Jordan, something that the character is not and it was left to the script and Ryan Reynolds to make Hal a likable character.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #310
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Well, between Reynolds and the script they never managed that i'm afraid. They needed someone different for that if you ask me. Hugh Jackman was able to make you relate and like a not very person in Real Steel and that character grew throughout the movie, but at the start he was very detestable. RR just obviously couldnt do the same, it makes me wonder what Bradley Cooper could have done with the role, as his on screen persona is very likable most of the time.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #311
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Reynolds can be likeable too if written well. His work in Safe House recently showed that, another example that he can be serious if required.

The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #312
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I'm watching the movie now on HBO and I have to say that so far I am actually impressed with Blake Lively despite the fact that she appears to young for the character.
Things they got right, so far (I'm not finished watching) I like the how they showed the power of the ring in creating objects out of will. The race track was a little juvenile and out of left field, but I still think it was a good live image of how the ring works in live action.
Does there need to be a love interest in these films? Despite the fact that I feel Blake did a good job, it just seems that the love interests in these movies are becoming weaker and weaker and add nothing to the story.
Edit
LMAO Blake just recognized Green Lantern is Hal....that was funny. Kudos to Blake I've been too hard on you.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Last edited by Szetsilya; 03-18-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #313
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^All of the acting in the movie was solid, if unspectacular, again I think the main problem was the writing, which is a shame really.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #314
BREAD WARRIOR
Side-Kick

So before I start I just want to state I know very little about GL in comics just pretty much general stuff like the main people in the corps and Sinestro and his whole arc and fall but nothing real specific. So that being said, I just watched Green Lantern last night for the first time (didn't see it in the theater due to bad reviews and one of my friends who is a huge GL fan said he didn't like it) and overall I thought it was okay. Definitely not the worst but far from the best. What I did like was the suit (aside from the crappy CG mask), all the actors except Blake Livley and how they brought you into the world of Oa.

What I didn't like was the action sequence (looked kinda fake and not realistic especially the helicopter crash) and just the how 2nd half of the movie developed.

Now when it was over I had questions about the source material and how it was handled so Im sure you GL experts could help.

1. Was Hal that afraid in the comics?

2. I like peter sarksgard (probably butchered that) but didn't care for Hammond. Was he like that in the comics?

3. Did Sinestro's fall from grace happen that quick and in the comics because I always thought him and Hal were partners before he turned?

BREAD WARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #315
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BREAD WARRIOR View Post
So before I start I just want to state I know very little about GL in comics just pretty much general stuff like the main people in the corps and Sinestro and his whole arc and fall but nothing real specific. So that being said, I just watched Green Lantern last night for the first time (didn't see it in the theater due to bad reviews and one of my friends who is a huge GL fan said he didn't like it) and overall I thought it was okay. Definitely not the worst but far from the best. What I did like was the suit (aside from the crappy CG mask), all the actors except Blake Livley and how they brought you into the world of Oa.

What I didn't like was the action sequence (looked kinda fake and not realistic especially the helicopter crash) and just the how 2nd half of the movie developed.

Now when it was over I had questions about the source material and how it was handled so Im sure you GL experts could help.

1. Was Hal that afraid in the comics?

2. I like peter sarksgard (probably butchered that) but didn't care for Hammond. Was he like that in the comics?

3. Did Sinestro's fall from grace happen that quick and in the comics because I always thought him and Hal were partners before he turned?
1. Depends on the writer. Sometimes they have no fear, sometimes they have to overcome fear to use their rings on something yellow.

2. Hector was less of a loser in Secret Origin before being infected, he was successful but a douche nobody liked. In the movie he was a nice guy before being infected, but wasn't a very successful or happy one. They're both fairly creepy though. In the comics he lost control of his body and has a head 3 times the size of his body. Now he pretty much sits in a cell using his powers to wipe the minds from guards or make them crazy. When Hal needs something from him he'll trade information for a memory of one of Hal's one-night stands.

3. Not that Sinestro turned evil in the movie (all we know is he tried on the ring), but he and Hal worked together before he switched sides. There aren't many stories about it, but in the comics Sinestro gave Hal special attention because Abin Sur was his friend. He considered Hal a friend and showed him his home world of Korugar, which to Hal's horror, was under Sinestro's dictatorship.

Back on Oa, Hal turned Sinestro in and he was banished. There he discovered the Weaponers and got them to forge him a yellow ring harnessing the power of fear as opposed to will.

In the movie, Sinestro conceived the idea of a yellow ring to take on Parallax but Hal managed to use luck, smarts, and willpower to beat him. However, Sinestro still took the ring. He hasn't fallen from grace yet, I imagine his initial use of the yellow ring and his banishment would have been covered in the sequel.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #316
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Whats stupid is that a lot of that sounds better than what ended up being the movie, why change these things?

Hector and especially his relationship with Sinestro sounds much better than what we got in the movie, and this is coming from someone who liked the Hector character in the movie. But in the movie they made him too sympathetic, I actually found him a lot more sympathetic than Hal and he is supposed to be the main hero!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #317
The Guard
Side-Kick

They probably changed the things due to budget, to keep things based on Earth for the first film, and to make things a bit more relevant to the "alien" plot elements.

Here's the thing. Hector's a pretty thin character in the comics, too. He's probably the lamest (albeit powerful) major supervillain DC has to offer. He's always had something of a generic origin, and he's just sort of just thrown in as an employee at Ferris in the more recent comics (Haven't read the new 52, someone feel free to chime in) as a convenient way for him to get him to be connected to Hal, whereas in the movie, he has a story reason for being involved in the plot.

Sinestro didn't turn evil in the movie, he just tried on the ring and felt its power (which he was already aware of, there's an undercurrent there). There have been various versions of Sinestro. Some of them care for Hal and some of them don't, but all of them expect a lot from him as a new Green Lantern because he followed in Abin Sur's footsteps (which the film showed).

See, in the more modern comics, Kilowog, who trains all incoming Green Lanterns, spends much of the first part of Hal's origin story training Hal, and Hal ends up helping the Green Lanterns defeat Legion (which was changed to Parallax for the film).

Then, later on, there's a second part to the origin, which is actually a whole seperate storyline, where Sinestro takes over Hal's training and they go throughout space as Hal learns to be a space cop.

There's really nothing to suggest we couldn't/weren't going to see Korugar and Sinestro's other side in sequels. In the comics, Sinestro thinks he's benefitting Korguar by imposing order via his power. I would guess that's where they were going with the sequel. They just didn't go there yet. And maybe they should have. That's the film I would prefer to have seen overall (I actually wrote a script based on it) but that also would likely have cost a ridiculous amount of money, which is probably why Sinestro's villainy and more spacetrotting was saved for the sequel.

And if I'm right

Last edited by The Guard; 04-03-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #318
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
and he's just sort of just thrown in as an employee at Ferris in the more recent comics (Haven't read the new 52, someone feel free to chime in)
Everything since Green Lantern: Rebirth still stands; though Blackest Night will certainly have retcons now whenever it's flashed back to.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #319
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I hope Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong return as Hal Jordan and Sinestro respectively.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #320
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Everything since Green Lantern: Rebirth still stands; though Blackest Night will certainly have retcons now whenever it's flashed back to.
Yeah. And we haven't heard from Hector since the lead-up to War of the Green Lanterns when he was possessed by Ophidian.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 AM   #321
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

I always thought that Hal Jordan saying the Oath would look ridiculous, but they got that part right.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #322
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

I haven't seen the film yet, is it worth purchasing, as someone who has a library of DC, Marvel, etc films-should I pick it up...so far for DC, the only exception to purchase is Catwoman (we have a superior Catwoman in BR, and hopefully another in DKR). Myself, I missed it (not because of the bad press), its one I just happened to miss.

Hellion, just curious... How well do you think you'd do in a death-match here? Who do you think would vote for you?
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #323
Karelia
We Are Groot

It seems to be usually lumped in the average list. (Daredevil DC, Iron Man 2, X-Men 3, etc.) "It's not completely terrible, just nothing memorable" is what most people say about it. I myself enjoyed it. Mainly because the way everyone was talking about it the day of release was that it was the worse CBM to date, on the likes of Batman & Robin. It's nowhere near that bad.

I'd say go ahead and get it if you got a collection going with Marvel/DC films.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #324
Hellion
The Hype's Disney XD Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
It seems to be usually lumped in the average list. (Daredevil DC, Iron Man 2, X-Men 3, etc.) "It's not completely terrible, just nothing memorable" is what most people say about it. I myself enjoyed it. Mainly because the way everyone was talking about it the day of release was that it was the worse CBM to date, on the likes of Batman & Robin. It's nowhere near that bad.

I'd say go ahead and get it if you got a collection going with Marvel/DC films.
Thanks for the input...most likely I'll be picking it up.

Hellion, just curious... How well do you think you'd do in a death-match here? Who do you think would vote for you?
Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #325
The Guard
Side-Kick

Its not as good as the X-Men movies, just above the level of the first FANTASTIC FOUR tonally, probably right there with IRON MAN in story/adaption quality. If you're a fan of the classic GREEN LANTERN stuff, like Emerald Dawn, some of the earlier stuff, and just the general idea of the character, you'll probably enjoy it more than if you're a big Geoff Johns GL fan, and want all the big, expansive space battles, Corps stuff right away, and were disappointed by it.

And if I'm right