The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 04-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #26
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Default Re: Boughtsit Thoughtsit Precious... 4-25-12

Matt Ramsey...

I'm somewhat embarrassed to know this...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Put his mother named him Nicholas Fury, Jr. Apparently.
That part made me chuckle. But I mean, come on, if you had Nick Fury's baby, why wouldn't you name it after him? Dude's a badass. It makes me sad that they pretty much signed his death warrant by removing the Infinity Formula from him and then killing the guy who stole it. But I guess a Nick Fury and Black Fury coexisting for too long might confuse the newbs.

Aquaman #8: Okay, this issue's got me a bit more interested again. I kind of like the parallel between Johns' Aquaman origin and Peter David's Aquaman origin--both sort of drifted after the lighthouse keeper's death. The fact that Curry, Sr. was murdered this time around makes me wonder if Atlantean agents still killed him in an attempt to assassinate Arthur. That was a nice touch from PAD's run--that Arthur's first encounter with Atlantis is violent and cruel. Arthur himself seems to have gone on his violent and cruel streak a bit earlier this time around. Instead of losing his hand, his father's death drove him to Atlantis and then something in Atlantis drove him to hunt Black Manta to the exclusion of all else, including caring about civilians. I guess part of the point of the Others, besides being some weird, Arthur-centric proto-Justice League, is to show Arthur how to be a hero instead of a raging a**hole. Either way, good issue. The pacing still feels very sluggish, but this issue was more interesting than the last two or three put together.

Secret Avengers #26: Wow, so this issue started off well and then got a little disappointing. The chief source of disappointment is how unbelievably easily the Phoenix just swept the Avengers aside. A team consisting of Thor, the Vision, Captain Britain, Valkyrie, and War Machine should've at least been able to give the Phoenix some pause. But no, Thor tickles it a bit with some lightning and then it pretty much just dominates the living s*** out of everyone. Kind of pathetic. Still, there are some good character beats that keep the issue as a whole less disappointing than the main fight. Beast's confrontation with Captain Britain was good, although I really wish Remender included some kind of response from Brian. Ms. Marvel and the Protector being all brainwashed as soon as they set foot on Hala is interesting. Curious to see what Mar-Vell's role (if it really is Mar-Vell) in this will be. I assume Thor and War Machine will be out of it for a while, leaving Mar-Vell and his Kree-related cronies better able to match up with the remaining Secret Avengers, so that should be fun. Renato Guedes' art deserves mentioning; I thought it looked too busy initially, but after a few pages I started really liking it. It's got kind of a Moebius-esque (RIP ) bent to it that I like. Although it does give everything a faintly dreamlike quality, which I'm not sure was the best tone to strike in this particular arc. Still, it's definitely pretty to look at.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Matt Ramsey...

I'm somewhat embarrassed to know this...

It's okay. I respect you more now.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #29
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Heh, "Ramsey."

Old 04-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #30
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah. Matt Man**** must've already been taken.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #31
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Daredevil #11: Throw me in with the crowd who found "The Omega Sanction" a little underwhelming because it resolved literally nothing. It actually had more development for the Punisher, given Rachel's disappearance, than it did for Daredevil. But it was still enjoyable and, beyond all else, it has proven to me that Marco Checchetto should be a way more high-profile artist at Marvel than he currently is. I'm not hating on Punisher or anything, but this dude is phenomenal. He should be drawing an Avengers title or something. I'm just glad he handled the art for this entire crossover. It was gorgeous from start to finish.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #32
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I wasn't a big fan of the art myself. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my favorite style. Although maybe with a different colorist I'd like it more.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #33
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Well hopefully it gives Punisher's book a nice boost so it can get out of cancellation range for a little bit.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #34
Red
King Littlefinger

Why is Nick Fury (Jr) wearing the Super-Soldier costume? :S

Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #35
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Why not? Steve's not wearing it.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #36
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

So if you're not wearing a pair of your pants, can I wear them?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #37
Splat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Why is Nick Fury (Jr) wearing the Super-Soldier costume? :S
Steve gave it to him.

Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

It was a gift.....OF AWESOME!
In seriousness, I think they wanted to give him something that made him stand out from a basic shield agent, but wasn't as comparatively plain or "I'm the boss man now, so I can wear whatever I want" vibe of SamJFury's outfit(s). I actually think it looks good on him.

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #39
Tvar10
I aim to misbehave...

Anyone check out Captain America and Hawkeye ? I flipped through it. It didn't look too bad

Tvar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Why not? Steve's not wearing it.
I see it playing out like the Old Mean Joe Greene Coke commercial

Cap walks into the Avengers mansion exhausted from a full day of fighting evil. He takes off the top and slings it over his shoulder. Nick Fury Jr walks up to him and offers him a coke. Cap takes a sip and walks off. NFJ looks sad because his hero just walked off. Cap turns around.
Cap:"Hey Kid!"
NFJ turns around and Cap throws him his uniform.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #41
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Heh, I remember that commercial

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Your not old enough to remember that commercial...

Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #43
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Then I've seen it on reruns

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #44
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

I think that commercial was featured on some "Iconic Commercials" special recently.

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #45
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I don't watch tv much so that wouldn't have been it. I saw it years ago.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #46
roach
I am the night

its an old coke commercial from the 70's

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #47
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight15 View Post
Anyone check out Captain America and Hawkeye ? I flipped through it. It didn't look too bad
It was good. The main plot involves some freaky experiments with dinosaurs (which translates to Cap and Hawkeye fighting dinosaurs, which is awesome), and then there's some character stuff going on between Cap and Hawkeye--Cap's trying to push Hawkeye to be more responsible, Hawkeye refuses to change. There's a nice scene where Hawkeye tells Cap he's not Bucky and Cap's like, "Damn right you're not."

Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #48
Tvar10
I aim to misbehave...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
It was good. The main plot involves some freaky experiments with dinosaurs (which translates to Cap and Hawkeye fighting dinosaurs, which is awesome), and then there's some character stuff going on between Cap and Hawkeye--Cap's trying to push Hawkeye to be more responsible, Hawkeye refuses to change. There's a nice scene where Hawkeye tells Cap he's not Bucky and Cap's like, "Damn right you're not."

Nice. Sounds entertaining. I'll have to pick it up. Seems like a good change. I wasn't too impressed with the last arc

Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #49
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Boughtsit Thoughtsit Precious... 4-25-12

A tad late for me, I've been busy. Onward with the spoilers!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 4/25/12:

BATTLE SCARS #6: Initially launched on the hells of FEAR ITSELF along with THE FEARLESS and with at least three writers credited with the story, this mini series scripted by Chris Yost and drawn by Scot Eaton has gotten a lot of press as of this issue. As all of the internet news sites mentioned, this is the issue in which Agent Coulson from the film franchise is introduced to the Marvel Universe, as well as SHIELD's version of Nick Fury more closely matches Samuel L. Jackson from the films as well. It was obvious - and admitted in an interview - that Yost had a mandate to craft a story in which Coulson and an African American Nick Fury to become a part of the comic universe as they are in the films and other media (such as animation). Instead of simply shrugging and doing it by obligation, Yost has taken care to actually make it fit in general Marvel continuity - such as nods to the recently ended SECRET WARRIORS as well as long forgotten details like Nick Fury's brother being the original villain Scorpio. As a brief summary, Marcus Johnson was an army ranger who has seen hell in Afghanistan alongside his best friend, "Cheese", who was sent home when his mother was murdered. Far from a generic crime, Johnson found himself the focus of an international hit which included Russian mercenaries as well as exotic hit-men such as Taskmaster, Deadpool, and the Serpent Society. He has thus been thrust into a world of SHEILD agents and superheroes such as Captain America which is more foreign to him than urban combat in the Middle East. It was eventually revealed (albeit predicted by fans in advance) that Johnson was Nick Fury's long lost son, who he kept secret and distant to protect him. Now Nick Fury's old enemy Orion desires Fury's blood to remain alive and vital, since it contains the youth retaining "infinity formula". Johnson is born with it, which is why he is practically a super-soldier who can shrug off injuries after minor first aid and seems to have more stamina than Rocky Balboa.

This hasn't been an exceptional comic, but it also isn't nearly as bad as the editorial mandate would suggest - on the whole it has been a perfectly solid popcorn action flick set in the Marvel Universe. Yes, bits like Johnson losing an eye like Fury are obligatory, but portraying it as the act of malice from a villain with a vendetta and does work. "Cheese" becomes Agent Phil Coulson (hence why his real name was never given) and it is revealed that Johnson's real name is Nick Fury, Jr.; it was simply buried along with the rest of his legacy. The comic itself feels especially light; which may be a sign of Marvel's new policy of having their covers be of the same paper thickness as interior pages. While this is nothing Eisner worthy, nor as good as Yost's current ongoing title SCARLET SPIDER, it achieved the feat of being the spoon full of sugar which helped the mandate go down. Considering how low this series was selling before the news about this issue went viral, a reprint may be forthcoming.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #6: The end of the "POWERLESS" arc and the end of Alan Davis' run on art, at least for the moment. While I still enjoy this franchise run by Ed Brubaker - especially since it's the ONLY run of Captain America I have ever read - it does seem as if his heart is more with WINTER SOLDIER these days. At any rate, Sharon's deal with Machinesmith allows Tony Stark to figure out how to cure the nanobot virus which is causing Cap to revert back to his 98 lb. weakling form, and everyone unites to save Harlem as well as the perpetually captured Falcon from the effects of another Madbomb. Codename Bravo shows up for practically no reason than to gloat and remind audiences that he's still the villain of this volume, which felt totally obligatory. The artwork is lovely and I adore the final page which has lately been paying tribute to fallen soldiers or sick children, which is a cause worthy of Captain America. That said, while the stories still entertain me, I am realizing that this run hit it's peak some time ago. The next arc sounds more promising, however.

DAREDEVIL #11: The brief crossover storyline, "THE OMEGA EFFECT", ends with this latest issue of Mark Waid's DAREDEVIL, which is where the story originated in the first place. April is a month best known for fools and showers, but it has become a month known for the "man without fear", as it began with DAREDEVIL #10.1 and each issue of this crossover came out each week until now. To a degree this is similar to what VENOM did with the "CIRCLE OF FOUR" story, only it was executed in a superior manner - and was shorter to boot. Unlike the previous installments, which were co-written by PUNISHER writer Greg Rucka, Waid is the sole writer on this issue as he is for all of them since the relaunch. Waid is joined by artist Marco Checchetto and colorist Matt Hollingsworth, who have worked on the previous installments in THE PUNISHER #10 and AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #6. Naturally this gives the entire affair an artistic flow which "CIRCLE OF FOUR" also lacked, as well as a more focused narrative. The opening page does a good job of refreshing DAREDEVIL readers who did not get the crossover issues while providing a good focal point for those who have.

This naturally picks up from PUNISHER #10 last week, in which the plan to orchestrate raids against the various cartels of "Megacrime" (such as HYDRA, A.I.M., and the Secret Empire) while also ridding himself of the "omega drive" data disc which has made Daredevil a target for it holds sensitive date on aforementioned "Megacrime". Daredevil has sought to publically destroy it in front of the crooks to get them off his back; Spider-Man wants to see it safely destroyed if not returned to Mr. Fantastic, whose tech was stolen to create it, while the Punisher would rather use it to kill more crooks. While both costumed heroes have made a deal with Punisher to allow him to aid in their raids if he doesn't kill anyone, the wild card in this adventure proves to be his new partner and potential protégé, ex-police sergeant Rachel Cole. The issue opens mentioning her, and in this climax the entire purpose of the crossover seems to be revealed.

Most crossovers operate by focusing on a story which requires multiple characters and various titles, with the characters themselves often being lost to editorial or promotional mandates. This crossover is the exact opposite - character interaction between the lead characters seems to have been the entire point of this exercise, with the editorial drive second. The promotions were a bit misleading as the "omega drive" plot itself isn't resolved and will continue along in the pages DAREDEVIL. The villains in the story are literal nameless henchmen in identical costumes; from the Hand ninja in AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #6 to the hordes of costumed minions seen in this issue and PUNISHER #10. The crossover opened with focus on how Spider-Man contrasts with Daredevil, while still showing the two as long time allies. The middle issue focused on how the two contrast from Punisher and Cole's efforts and ideals on fighting crime - Spider-Man in particular treats the Punisher as a vicious murderer who should be watched at all times (a contrast to how other writers have him treat Wolverine in other comics). This issue sees Daredevil confront Cole at a critical moment; feeling that all hope for redeeming Frank Castle is lost, Murdock feels he still has a chance to get through to Cole before she goes too far off the deep end. Yet this crossover avoids the woes of "talking head" comics via some crisp dialogue as well as just enough action to move things along. The artwork by Checchetto and Hollingsworth continues to be exceptional - and it is great to see other artists copying the brilliantly innovative method of depicting Daredevil's "radar sense" that Paolo Rivera and Marcos Martin utilized.

Overall, "THE OMEGA DRIVE" is a rare crossover in which the focus is on characters and interaction versus on generic action and cookie-cutter editorial mandates. It is for that reason it has been a pleasure and not a distraction, and why it is one that Marvel fans shouldn't miss. If only SHADOWLAND had been half as good. The wind is at DAREDEVIL's back as Rivera returns and a new villain is introduced as well - something the franchise needs more of. In less than a year, DAREDEVIL has become one of the great Marvel relaunches of the past decade. Not only did a crossover not derail that fact, it underlined it.

THE TWELVE #12: Cross it off the bucket list; this "maxi series" by writer J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) and artist Chris Weston which began over four years ago in the spring of 2008 has seen completion after a mere three year gap between issues. If there was any sign that the Mayans could be right about the end of all times coming this year, THE TWELVE #12 being published could be one of them. The horrid irony of this is that the story itself is perfectly fine and engaging; it simply does not benefit from the terrible gap in the schedule.

The gist of the series was that twelve heroes from the 1940's fell into a Nazi trap and wound up placed in suspended animation until the present day (of 2008); they all found themselves men (and one woman, and two robots) out of time and having to adjust. Most of the series focused on character pieces establishing the origins, powers, and motives of the cast - which allowed JMS to get creative as many of these original heroes of the Golden Age were simple creations with large gaps in their stories. The star of the series was the Phantom Reporter, whose narration filled the series. The "plot" as it were eventually became a "whodunnit" with a series of murders taking place and one of "the twelve", the flamboyant Blue Blade, becoming one of the victims. Through a series of complicated investigations, Phantom Reporter concluded the killer was the near fascist synthetic humanoid Dynamic Man, whose "electronic brain" had merged with that of the robot Electro and allowed it to act as his "dark will". Despite having no physical evidence of this, Dynamic Man went berserk after being accused forcefully enough - the old Perry Mason tactic. Issue eleven ended with Dynamic Man as well as two more heroes meeting their fate, as well as another, Mister E, retiring to capitalize on a second chance with his now adult son. This issue acts as an epilogue for the rest of "the twelve", although by this stage they are "the eight". The rest of the cast go their separate ways, and the origin of Mastermind Excello (who Weston has designed to look like a dead ringer of Bela Legosi) being inserted by obligation. Phantom Reporter has to resolve the issue of his romance with Clair Voyant/Black Widow, whose touch can kill men if she wishes to, as well as the new pyrotechnic powers he inherited from the deceased Fiery Mask.

The artwork is fine, some characters get new costumes and it does seem as if JMS intended for some of these characters to pop up in other Marvel comics. The series may have some legs as a hardcover collection, especially in the wake of JMS' success with SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE. This issue ends things on proper terms, even if this series may end up a footnote in Marvel's history.

SECRET AVENGERS: Rick Remender starts his obligatory crossover tie-in with AVX, although there isn't much Avengers vs. X-Men in here thankfully. Instead the story sees regular cast members Beast, Valkyrie, and Capt. Britain unite with former member War Machine and other Avengers Thor, Ms. Marvel, and Protector (ugh) to go fight the Phoenix Force in space before it can reach earth. The result goes poorly as Thor and War Machine get mangled, and Braddock ends up destroying Beast's anti-Phoenix gizmo which he has made every time the Phoenix has arisen and which has NEVER EVER WORKED BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF EVER. Meanwhile, some spare Kree capitalize on this force as well as a spare sliver of the M'Kraan crystal in a gambit to revitalize their homeworld Hala as well as revive their lost champion, Mar-Vell. His corpse looks in pristine form considering even in "Marvel time" he's likely been dead about a half dozen years, but considering how many kids he's gotten post mortum one never knows if this is really him or some clone or whatever. The art is by Renato Guedes and it is very much an acquired taste. I didn't care for it but I have seen worse, and it reminded me of art some DEFENDERS issues in the 80's used to have. Beast operating as the commander also reminded me of such, as did Valkyrie's mentions of those times together when he led that team. Apparently landing on Hala caused the alternate dimensional Kree Protector and the Kree-empowered Ms. Marvel to fall under some sort of spell, and the revived Mar-Vell isn't up to any good. I was partisan on the art and I didn't like this issue nearly as much as the last few; Remender seems best when he's free of crossover shenanigans. Protector is still the lamest and most generic hero I have seen in a while, but Remender tries. This issue is best in showcasing Beast as a leader - a fact which made the reality of making Wolverine of all people an X-school headmaster ludicrous. Hank McCoy can lead Valkyrie and Moondragon into battles with magical monsters but he can't run a school better than "Captain Stabs"? Bullocks! Not a horrid issue, but not one I particularly enjoyed. The art was a bit too sketchy and the plot obligatory.

X-MEN LEGACY #265: Some people have criticized Christos Gage's last few issues of AVENGERS ACADEMY for being a bit preachy, but I usually disagreed. This issue, however, likely adds fuel to that argument; between Rogue, Mimic, and Weapon Omega, there was enough "wangst" to power a rocket halfway across the galaxy. I did like how Gage is a master of continuity and his desire to take horribly damaged characters like Mike Pointer and Mimic and make something of them; the latter is even redeemed at the end. Comparing him to Rogue isn't a bad idea, although he's a bit like Blink in that most fans know the version from EXILES far better than the mainstream one. Rafa Sandoval's art is as reliable as it was in AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE and I suppose this is a good contrast to the previous arc, which had a metric ton of brawling. Chamber once again gets a good but short cameo, and Gambit's presence is pretty decent. Iceman, however, is reduced to background furniture despite him being the one who said taking in Omega was a bad idea. I want to like this series more than I do, but something seems to be missing from it that I can't place. I am curious what Gage will do with Mimic as well as what he'll write for the crossover. Gage often manages to wrest some decent tales out of crossover obligations, so that could be the kick which improves this run some. I still like it, but I'm not as crazy about it as I am for AVENGERS ACADEMY.