The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #551
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

Default Re: One Earth: The Marvel/DC RPG: Sign-up/OOC Thread

Just a heads up to everyone. The Gorgon is about to make his first BIG move (like within a post or two). You don't have to react, but methinks the heroes will have no choice in the matter.

"Kneel before Zod!"
bkhedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #552
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
So we managed to hit 500 posts in just under five months. Holy ****, that's a pretty awesome achievement. So, Carnage and I figured we'd try and do some awards since we hit the milestone.

Best Hero:

Best Villain:

Best Character Development:

Best Solo Arc:

Best Multi-PC Story Arc:

Best Fight:

Best Post:

MVP:

Big props to everyone who got us to this point so far. I'll have mine up in a few hours.

I'm gonna try to get mine up today but let me just say that the level of play/writing in this RPG has been phenomenal so far and these are all difficult choices. *big thumbs up to everyone*

"Kneel before Zod!"
Old 04-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #553
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Best Hero: Captain America - Carnage

The last game had a few Cap players, myself included, and none of them really made their mark on the character. Carnage is off to a good start, telling a pretty awesome spy/military story, getting SHIELD started, and the started the Ultimates (That ****ing name, though!)

Best Villain:
The Joker - Andy

That's right, I chose him! Deal with it! I've had fun playing off him and reading the narrative that surrounds one of the most infamous comic book villains. He mentioned something about following in Soze's shoes as a Joker. Well, so far so good. If he keeps it up, we'll be saying Soze who?. Yeah, **** that Scottish sum*****!

Best Character Development: Hulk - MST3K

MST3K took what Spike established ad ran with it. Introducing Luthor as a primary antagonist for Banner, creating Hulk, and brawling with Supes. If anyone can break the Hulk Curse, it's this man. He's delivering so far, so keep it up!

Best Solo Arc:
The Inhumans vs. Apokolips - Trusty

**** you, trusty! **** you for being such a ***** and taking so long to write this goddamn story!

Best Multi-PC Story Arc:
Captain America and Checkmate

I'm counting this as a multi-PC story because I briefly played Thor, so there! Plus, there haven't been that many multi-PC stories thus far. Anyway, it was an excellent storyline that introduced Cap into the world, established OE's spy agencies, and the first superteam since the days of the JSA. Not too shabby, suh.

Best Fight:
Superman vs. Hulk - MB & MST3K

The fight geekdom has talked about for years went down, and it was a pretty good dust-up. Maybe not a full fledged epic, but I feel like this fight was an excellent opening shot that will set up an awesome rematch.

Best Post:
Can't single out just one, so **** you mother****ers for being so good!

MVP:
Carnage

The man took command from wieg and I, restarted this game, has been active as a GM, and he's been knocking out the park in the posting department.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #554
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Best Hero: Batman (Byrd Man)

Ugh, I just.....I feel so.....dirty......every time I have to nominate a Byrd Man character, but here we are. Byrd's take on the Bat and the integration of Marvel characters into Gotham has been what I can only describe as "sexcellent." Big props to wieg's Daredevil and Carnage's Cap as well.

Best Villain: The Gorgon (bkhedr)

I'll be honest, this is a character I know absolutely nothing about. But I want to know more now.

Best Character Development: Captain America (Carnage27)

Carnage is doing a great job of showing Cap's journey from man out of time to major player in the new super-powered world. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Best Solo Arc: The Inhumans vs. Apokolips (trustyside-kick)

Like the Gorgon, I really don't know much of anything about Black Bolt or the Inhumans (or any of Marvel's cosmic stuff, for that matter), but trusty's story makes me want to find out more.

Best Multi-PC Story Arc: Superman and the FF on Warworld

Damn it, Byrd Man, now I'm nominating another of your characters for something! What have you reduced me to?!

Best Fight: Superman vs. The Hulk (Batman, MST3K4Ever)

Short but very effective, and should set up an even bigger and badder rematch in the future.

Best Post: "Fat Ricky Fat's" by Byrd

It never occurred to me to have the Punisher running loose in Gotham City, but once Frank Castle showed up at Fat Ricky Fat's and started shooting up the place, it just clicked. The reveal of who it was was just such a great "awwwww hell naw, ****'s about to get real" moment.

MVP: Carnage27

This guy's been on the ball, delivering great takes on Cap and Magneto, and setting up the OE's version of SHIELD and its first big super-team. Keep it up!

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #555
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Your hate gives me strength! Bwahahahahaha!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #556
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

Ok here goes. I've narrowed it down to characters still in the game and given weight to how often a player posts and how reliable an rper they have been over the length of the game.

Best Hero: Tough call.

Winner: Batman (Byrd Man). As I said, tough call, and I would have been comfortable going with Superman, Captain America, Wolverine, Black Bolt or Spider-man but in the end I had to go with Byrd's masterful rendition of the Dark Knight. The deciding factor for me has been his seamless incorporation of Marvel characters. As far as I'm concerned Frank Castle and Kraven the Hunter ought to be Batman villians from now on. Not to mention that oh so natural (like it was always meant to be) Wayne-Stark friendship.

Runner up: Captain America (Carnage27). I had to put Carnage's Cap in as a runner up because of his consistent portrayal of the character (I've played Cap and always found it a struggle to stay in character without getting boring) and perhaps more importantly, the way he's integrated Cap into the world so quickly and made him a vital player. Afterall, he formed the Ultimates.

Best Villain: This was a little bit easier, though only because there are fewer vilians to choose from.

Winner: The Joker (Andy C). Like Cap, the Joker is another character who I consider to particularly difficult to portray consistently (sure anybody can pull off a reasonable Joker for a post or two, but try doing it over the course of a season). To me, Andy's Joker has been awesome.

Runner Up: Lex Luthor (MST3K_4ever). Hats off to MSTK for resisting the temptation to do too much too early with Lex. A true alpha villian Lex deserves to be handled with patience and MSTK has done just that. That and the Hulk.

Best Character Development:

Winner: Spider-Man (Andy C). Anyone who takes that much time and effort to get their character (and supporting cast)rolling deserves nothing less.

Runner up: Superman (Batman). Again, a difficult character to play if you don't do the requisite character development and build up the supporting cast. We've all seen people pick up big blue, have a big fight with the Abonimation or Mongul then drop him. Not our man Bats.

Best Solo Arc:

Winner: The Inhuman War on Apocalypse (trusty side-kick). An epic tale taking part in relative vacuum.

Runner Up: The Birth of the Punisher (Byrd Man). Just awesome.

Best Multi-PC Story Arc: *pass*

Best Fight:

Winner: The Big Three vs. Hades (Byrd Man and Carnage27). I bleed Avengers fandom so this was right up my alley. Loki winning the day makes it doubly sweet, especially because he seemingly got off scott free.

Runner Up: Superman vs. Humanite (Batman). It was a thrill to see Supes tested for the first time. Again the fact that the Mole Man is behind the attack only makes it better because its just the opening round.

Best Post: This one: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=252

MVP:

Winner: Gotta go with Byrd. Everything he touches turns to gold right now.

Runner Up: Carnage27

Just wanted to add this one:

Best Line:

"Heh," I laugh, my voice filled with gravel. "The Batman is a myth." He jumps when my voice is next to his head.

"But the Devil is real..."

"Kneel before Zod!"
Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #557
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Thanks for all the love so far guys. Cap has quickly become my favorite character to write, and I'm glad you guys are enjoying the story.

I've officially overcome my jet lag from vacation, so my noms will be up tonight as well as Magneto and GL posts.

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #558
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Best Hero: Batman (Byrd Man)

As a complete whore for all things Batman (like my username/avatar/sig/ect didn't already make that clear), there's nothing that gets my nitpickiness going like a player who plays The Dark Knight in one of our games. Hell, even my own posts under the cowl aren't immune to my own insane scrutiny. But as of yet, I can find nothing wrong with Byrd's interpretation of either Bruce Wayne or Batman in this game. I gave him hell for his portrayal nuances in his early days of World Of Heroes, but he's grown so much in the role since then that he's become one of my favorites in the games, right up there with the likes of wiegeabo. Really enjoying this current Kraven arc.

Best Villain: The Joker (Andy C.)

Not that we've had a huge supply of villains to work from, but I've said it before and I'll say it again: Andy's version of The Joker has routinely made me envious of Byrd's Batman all the more. I *dreamed* of this kind of Joker in Ultimate DC for years. He just gets the character on so many different levels, and it makes his version not only terrifyingly brilliant, but absurdly demented and even a little charming. You actually catch yourself agreeing with his disturbed views of the world around him, and whenever you've done that to your reader, you've officially wrote an engaging villain.

Best Character Development: Captain America (Carnage27)

It annoyed me to no end to know that just when I had finished my first big Superman fight in the game, Carnage had done at least three times as much with Steve Rogers. Hell, Carnage has developed Cap way beyond any of our characters, effectively writing as if he's in a world of his own. His Steve is not only true to the core legend of Captain America, but he makes you believe that no matter what sort of threat arises in the future, Carnage's Cap will be there to stop it down and shove a flag right down it's throat. His development of Cap will definitely help shape how I approach Superman in the future, and my writing will be all the better for it.

Best Solo Arc: Enter The Ultimates (Carnage27)

Every character that Carnage wrote was on their A-game. Cap was Cap. Max Lord was Max Lord. Fury was as badass as ever. It was like reading a straight-up, no-holes barred comic book arc that said to hell with everything you know about the differences between DC and Marvel and portrayed the worlds as one, making Lord the perfect first big villain for Cap to face down after his return to glory. Anyone who plays Red Skull has their work cut out for them, because Lord could very well have been set up as Steve's ultimate foe right from the start. The mere fact that it culiminated into the game's first fully-fledged superhero team was only icing on the cake, setting up alot of great storylines for the future.

Best Multi-PC Story Arc: The Knight and The Devil (Byrd Man and wiegeabo)

While I always liked the idea established by One Universe that Batman and Daredevil have always known eachother, this game took it a step beyond by establishing a definitive rapour between Matt and Bruce that feels as real as any of the characters' respective relationships with their peers in the comics. It feels slightly competitive, but at the end of the day, you can tell that Batman can trust Daredevil with his life and vice versa. They're friends. And god help whoever stands between justice and their combined efforts to see it through.

Best Fight: Captain America vs. Maxwell Lord (Carnage27)

Read what I just said above.

Best Post: It's really hard to pick - hell, I already changed my answer three or four times - but this is one that stuck with me for quite awhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
The Joker lay in a heap, bleeding and panting on the ground. For a few moments, he was the only living person left alive in the entire building.

"Maroni didn't die," he said to himself in disbelief.

Everything had been laid out to a T. Playing on Maroni's fear, whipping the GCPD into a fury, holing the Boss up into the safehouse....all so he could blow him to bits right before all of the 'good' people who wanted him could get there.

It was a perfect prank....

"Maroni didn't die...." he said again, as he heard GCPD SWAT Team officers charging up the stairs, "Because Batman saved him...."

....and now it was so much funnier.

The gag he wanted to play on Maroni and Castle was good, but then at the last second, the Boss was saved by a costumed lunatic who wanted nothing more than to see Maroni taken down for good. All Batman would have had to do was wait a few seconds more and he and Castle would have gotten their wishes, but he had to play it the hard way. Maroni would never return the favor, and Castle would want Batman dead just as badly for saving his life, but the Bat couldn't help but play the hero, and dig his own hole just a little deeper.

It was simply too good to be true.

"Over here, it's him!" shouted a voice from the other end of the corridor, a bright flashlight glaring into the Joker's eyes. "Hands on your head, freak!"

The clown complied, smiling like a man who'd just gotten a kiss from a beautiful woman on their first date. He probably could have overpowered the officer, taken his gun, shot his way through the rest of the team. But instead, he simply put his hands on his head and waited to be cuffed.

Let Batman think he'd save the day tonight; it would be that much funnier in the long run.

"This may be the greatest night of my life," he said with a sigh, before the butt of the officer's rifle slammed into his temple and knocked him cold.
MVP: Byrd Man

Because who else is going to kick the entire game's ass into shape?! Byrd not only helped established a good number of the game's biggest players - from Batman, to Thor, to the FF and a host of NPCs - but he did so in a way that makes it intimidating for future players to take his sloppy seconds and run with it. I consider the MVP to be the player whose prescence made the RPG what it is, was, and will be for the rest of it's run - and Byrd is definitely that.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #559
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Best Hero: Batman (Byrd) It's seriously amazing how well people here can write the dark knight. Byrd is another in a long line of terrific Batmen, and his current story with Kraven is just a delight to read.

Best Villain: Joker (Andy C) Andy always puts out high quality stuff, and his Joker is no exception. Delightfully evil and to be honest, funny. The guy is sick and twisted and everything a Joker should be.

Best Character Development: Spider-Man (Andy C) Andy just knows Spider-man. I'm glad he has an outlet to tell a story here since ASM closed down.

Best Solo Arc: The Inhumans vs Apocalypse (trusty side-kick) An epic tale that has set up part of the cosmic universe of the game, something that was sorely lacking in the last version.

Best Multi-PC Story Arc: We really didn't have one, but I'll cheat and say the formation of the Ultimates since Byrd was kind of involved with me.

Best Fight: Superman vs The Hulk. I'm sure this won't be the last these two titans go up against one another, but it's always fun to see the first tussle.

Best Post: http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=491

MVP:

Winner: Byrd. Damn him to hell. But Byrd.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #560
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Can I change my best post nomination to this?

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=515

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #561
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

Just so we're all on the same page: The Gorgon has raised Ultimo the "indestrucible, world destroying apolocyple" android. Not Ultimo the "jobs for everyone from War Machine to the Initiative" android.

I'll do a write up of One Earth Ultimo's history in my next Gorgon post. You know, before people start dying in bunches.

"Kneel before Zod!"
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #562
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

I don't know what you guys are smoking since I've felt I've had some ups and downs doing this 1 arc but I appreciate the support. It's harder for me to make time for everything now and I just wanna make sure this arc I was so passionate about at the start concludes on a good note. Which hopefully it will since over the past week+ when starting my last 2 posts the motivation hit me again.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #563
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

One Earth: The Marvel/DC RPG

Character you would like to play: The Flash (Barry Allen)

Powers: Superhuman speed, absolute control of molecular materials, friction-based phasing, ability to create vortexes and similar velocity-based phenomena, limited time-travel, superhuman neural capacity. He is also able to reach speeds so unstable that he can break from dimensions and reach a place known only as The Speed Force, allowing him to push his limits even further.

Brief history of the character: Barry Allen was never considered the most reliable person on the planet. All-too often, due to an inability to seperate himself from his work, he would miss everything important to him: his junior prom, his high school graduation, his first date, and even his induction into the Central City Police Academy as it's top forensic scientist. That same inability eventually cost him his career, getting him kicked out of Central and being put to work as a lowly research assistant at the Keystone City division of Horizon Laboratories. Falling into a deep depression, thinking that his life had hit rock bottom, Barry's spirits were renewed upon meeting journalist Iris West during a conference on breakthrough geneticism. Iris took to his somewhat eager charm immediately, but his lack of initiative eventually drove them apart.

Determined to change all of that, Barry dove headfirst into Horizion's most controversial project yet - discovering the exact genetic code that seperates human DNA from mutants, possibly to develop a cure for use in criminal cases involving genetic mutations. Despite his position, Barry worked late hours and devoted countless weeks towards the project himself, working with an array of chemical compounds to help seperate the genome and experiment with different possible outcomes. He even disregarded the lightning storm just outside of his window, when suddenly, a bolt of volatile electricity hit his workspace, throwing him across the lab and changing his physiology in subtle, yet extraordinary ways...

List a few reasons why you have chosen that character: I've always liked The Flash, but I never really found myself eager to tell a story that could help me kick my foot in the door of his rich mythology when I was playing him elsewhere. One Earth provides me with the excuse I need, starting from the beginning and playing up his new origin to tie him directly into the universe.

What are your plans with this character? Do you have a story: Story's pretty basic. I want to tell the story of how Barry becomes a hero and set up his rogues gallery, put him up against some Marvel villains, eventually get him on a team, all of that good stuff. The main narrative throughout the story will be the fact that Barry himself is coming to grips with his own motivations for being The Flash. He doesn't have the same sort of continuitive drive that someone like Batman or Spider-Man has, and he doesn't feel that he was born to do it, so it's much more of a humanistic question of why someone would put on a costume and use their powers for good, rather than just finally right all of the wrongs that have plagued their own life. I also want to try and do new things with the rogues like Captain Cold and Weather Wizard, rather than just build them up to be the same characters.

Color and font you plan on using for your character's speech: Tahoma, Red and bolded. Ripping off Byrd... because I can.

How many times do you intend on posting a DAY IN the RPG: Often as needed of me.

Please provide a sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contains at least 1 line of dialogue):

A Flash Of Light...
Iris West, Central City Chronicle

Captain America. Superman. Tony 'Iron Man' Stark. The Batman. Years ago, these names would have been considered to be mere works of fiction, digested in one form of media or another by a populace that considered the very concept of superhumans to be either ludicrously overblown, or a term used to describe mutants deemed a danger to society. Whatever your former beliefs of the existence such astonishing feats, the term 'superhero' has become a very real phenomena in today's modern world. With the recent announcement that Captain America, the living legend of World War II and America's first Super-Soldier, would be leading a group of superhumans dedicated towards the protection of all of mankind making the headlines, many have started to wonder just what kind of other beings of immense power and indomitable will are living among us. Some have even speculated that the next Superman could be living next door, as recent rumors suggest that Russian and South American governments are beginning to build their own super-teams in rapid response to The Ultimates' show of power.

Yet for Central City, crime has run as rampant as it ever has. While it may be true that it's citizens have never felt that either Central - or it's neighboring city across the pond - could become quite as dangerous of a place to live in as such infamous metropolitan habitats like Gotham or Star City, few would be quick to call The Twin Cities a place to find peaceful community. The city is known for it's sights, such as the world-famous Sir Gardner Fox Bridge, but it is also known just as well for it's unique breed of criminal.

Until now. Following a series of unexplained miraculous incidents occurring over the last few weeks, such as a victim of a heart attack being suddenly rushed by an unseen force to Keystone General while suffering nearly thirty miles away from the facility, and a pair of teenagers being rescued from a collapsing steel girder at the ruins of a nearby construction site, sources claim to have seen a mysterious glimpse of red and yellow air passing through the open streets during the daylight hours. Something new had captured the attention of Central City's citizens, and very few actually know what to make of it.

Strangely enough, these sightings are not entirely without prescendent - these same glimpses have began to occur just moments before a crime is prevented under similarly vague circumstances, such as weapons disappearing from the hands of armed assailants moments before a police shootout can begin, or a purse snatcher tripping to find that his shoelaces have been instantaneously tied together.

When asked about the phenomena that many in Central City are now calling 'The Flash', Police Commissioner Hartley Rathaway seemed fairly skeptical of the assertion that The Twin Cities had a costumed champion to call their own. "Look, we get about a dozen calls like this each day.", said Rathaway, fielding questions from reporters during a joint phone conference. "We've heard it all by this point. Some guy called just this morning to report that aliens had landed in his back yard. Another one from a couple of weeks back said that he heard the gorillas at the zoo muttering to themselves. This is just another example of the ludicrous nature of our profession. Sometimes, you just end up getting some whackjobs. I'm sure there's nothing to be concerned about."

Yet the sightings of this mysterious flash only continue to build in quantity, day-by-day. Could it be that the multiple sources are hallucinating? Is there a citywide epidemic causing this shared glimpse at what could be nothing more than a trick of the light, or common coincidence? Or has it finally happened, and Central City has found it's own Captain America?

Whatever the case may be, this reporter certainly likes to believe that in a world so chalk full of superheroes, there's always room for one more.

Iris West's columns can be read at http://www.cc-chronicle.org/
Follow us on Facebook at the Central City Chronicle page
to get exclusive access to all things Twin Cities!

"Made it."

It's hard to believe how much things can change in six months.

True, the passage of time always seems slow in the moment that it happens, but when you really look back at something so significant that's happened to you - so completely life changing that it's helped defined the trajectory of your path ever since that fateful moment - you start to realize just how astoundingly fast that each second passing you by really is. I used to be that way, back when I believed that it didn't matter. Nothing mattered to me except my work, the furthering of my scientific knowledge and it's applications towards the world. Now I've come to realize that there are some things more important than earning that sough-after degree in chemistry, or the grant to further someone's research.

Take, for example, the idea of a city like Central. Home to over two million residents, roughly three-quarters of the populace on a constant race with themselves to make their next destination. Chicago is the city that never sleeps, but Central was always known as the city that never stopped. If you look at traffic during rush hour, it's a nightmare of cars and a sea of horns blasting at one another. There isn't a statistic in the world that could disprove the fact that eight out of every ten cars out on the freeway are cruising way past the speed limit. There's even less of a chance that you'll drive away without a fender bender.

Yet in the span of three minutes, I just broke the sound barrier five times and beat the traffic on the way to work on foot. Also stopped three robberies in progress, dismantled an out-of-control cruiser threatening to run over a couple of kids, helped a window washer finish his day's workload in a couple of seconds, and saved a cat from falling off the nearby bridge and plummeting into the harbor. At first, it seemed difficult, but it's become second nature to me now. I don't even have to think to get myself dressed. I arrive on time, perfectly groomed and showered for the day without even having to have spent a second in my own apartment.

None of that was even possible back then.

My name is Barry Allen. Up until six months ago, I was just your average, everyday guy.

Now I'm The Fastest Man Alive. And this is my story.

Post a picture of your character:

Last edited by Batman; 04-30-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #564
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

No sample, no approval!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #565
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Awesome! It was between GL and Flash for me for my thrid.

And MB, I'll get a Magneto post up tomorrow.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #566
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Best Hero: Batman (Byrd Man). You give this man ANY character and in one post he has made this character his own. We all know the story of the character but Byrd has made it new and given it life!

Best Villain: The Joker (Andy C.). This Joker is insane and a perfect foil for any hero in this RPG

Best Character Development: Spider-Man (Andy C). We all know the story behind him but Andy C. has taken this character and made it into a great story where we all know what is going to happen. But the writing is creative and fresh that I don't mind the ride along the way.

Best Solo Arc: The Inhumans Vs. Apokolips. (Trusty) Good story-telling has made this one stand out for me. I didn't know next to nothing about the Inhumans but the writing drew me in and made want to learn more.

Best Multi-PC Story Arc: Fantastic 4 & Superman & War World. The challenge in this was not having the FF dominate and having Superman fit in, but also not letting Superman over run it either. The balance between these characters made it a great story to read.

Best Fight: Capt. America Vs. Maxwel Lord. Outstanding story telling from start to finish.

Best Post:http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=252 Hands down.

MVP: Byrd Man. Without him this thing is dead in the water. Plus I love how he is able to play the ENTIRE Fantastic Four. Yes reed is the main character but the others are part of his life as well and Byrd draws attention to that without taking away from Reed as the leader.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #567
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Flash sample edited in.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #568
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
One Earth: The Marvel/DC RPG

Character you would like to play: The Flash (Barry Allen)

Powers: Superhuman speed, absolute control of molecular materials, friction-based phasing, ability to create vortexes and similar velocity-based phenomena, limited time-travel, superhuman neural capacity. He is also able to reach speeds so unstable that he can break from dimensions and reach a place known only as The Speed Force, allowing him to push his limits even further.

Brief history of the character: Barry Allen was never considered the most reliable person on the planet. All-too often, due to an inability to seperate himself from his work, he would miss everything important to him: his junior prom, his high school graduation, his first date, and even his induction into the Central City Police Academy as it's top forensic scientist. That same inability eventually cost him his career, getting him kicked out of Central and being put to work as a lowly research assistant at the Keystone City division of Horizon Laboratories. Falling into a deep depression, thinking that his life had hit rock bottom, Barry's spirits were renewed upon meeting journalist Iris West during a conference on breakthrough geneticism. Iris took to his somewhat eager charm immediately, but his lack of initiative eventually drove them apart.

Determined to change all of that, Barry dove headfirst into Horizion's most controversial project yet - discovering the exact genetic code that seperates human DNA from mutants, possibly to develop a cure for use in criminal cases involving genetic mutations. Despite his position, Barry worked late hours and devoted countless weeks towards the project himself, working with an array of chemical compounds to help seperate the genome and experiment with different possible outcomes. He even disregarded the lightning storm just outside of his window, when suddenly, a bolt of volatile electricity hit his workspace, throwing him across the lab and changing his physiology in subtle, yet extraordinary ways...

List a few reasons why you have chosen that character: I've always liked The Flash, but I never really found myself eager to tell a story that could help me kick my foot in the door of his rich mythology when I was playing him elsewhere. One Earth provides me with the excuse I need, starting from the beginning and playing up his new origin to tie him directly into the universe.

What are your plans with this character? Do you have a story: Story's pretty basic. I want to tell the story of how Barry becomes a hero and set up his rogues gallery, put him up against some Marvel villains, eventually get him on a team, all of that good stuff. The main narrative throughout the story will be the fact that Barry himself is coming to grips with his own motivations for being The Flash. He doesn't have the same sort of continuitive drive that someone like Batman or Spider-Man has, and he doesn't feel that he was born to do it, so it's much more of a humanistic question of why someone would put on a costume and use their powers for good, rather than just finally right all of the wrongs that have plagued their own life. I also want to try and do new things with the rogues like Captain Cold and Weather Wizard, rather than just build them up to be the same characters.

Color and font you plan on using for your character's speech: Tahoma, Red and bolded. Ripping off Byrd... because I can.

How many times do you intend on posting a DAY IN the RPG: Often as needed of me.

Please provide a sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contains at least 1 line of dialogue):

A Flash Of Light...
Iris West, Central City Chronicle

Captain America. Superman. Tony 'Iron Man' Stark. The Batman. Years ago, these names would have been considered to be mere works of fiction, digested in one form of media or another by a populace that considered the very concept of superhumans to be either ludicrously overblown, or a term used to describe mutants deemed a danger to society. Whatever your former beliefs of the existence such astonishing feats, the term 'superhero' has become a very real phenomena in today's modern world. With the recent announcement that Captain America, the living legend of World War II and America's first Super-Soldier, would be leading a group of superhumans dedicated towards the protection of all of mankind making the headlines, many have started to wonder just what kind of other beings of immense power and indomitable will are living among us. Some have even speculated that the next Superman could be living next door, as recent rumors suggest that Russian and South American governments are beginning to build their own super-teams in rapid response to The Ultimates' show of power.

Yet for Central City, crime has run as rampant as it ever has. While it may be true that it's citizens have never felt that either Central - or it's neighboring city across the pond - could become quite as dangerous of a place to live in as such infamous metropolitan habitats like Gotham or Star City, few would be quick to call The Twin Cities a place to find peaceful community. The city is known for it's sights, such as the world-famous Sir Gardner Fox Bridge, but it is also known just as well for it's unique breed of criminal.

Until now. Following a series of unexplained miraculous incidents occurring over the last few weeks, such as a victim of a heart attack being suddenly rushed by an unseen force to Keystone General while suffering nearly thirty miles away from the facility, and a pair of teenagers being rescued from a collapsing steel girder at the ruins of a nearby construction site, sources claim to have seen a mysterious glimpse of red and yellow air passing through the open streets during the daylight hours. Something new had captured the attention of Central City's citizens, and very few actually know what to make of it.

Strangely enough, these sightings are not entirely without prescendent - these same glimpses have began to occur just moments before a crime is prevented under similarly vague circumstances, such as weapons disappearing from the hands of armed assailants moments before a police shootout can begin, or a purse snatcher tripping to find that his shoelaces have been instantaneously tied together.

When asked about the phenomena that many in Central City are now calling 'The Flash', Police Commissioner Hartley Rathaway seemed fairly skeptical of the assertion that The Twin Cities had a costumed champion to call their own. "Look, we get about a dozen calls like this each day.", said Rathaway, fielding questions from reporters during a joint phone conference. "We've heard it all by this point. Some guy called just this morning to report that aliens had landed in his back yard. Another one from a couple of weeks back said that he heard the gorillas at the zoo muttering to themselves. This is just another example of the ludicrous nature of our profession. Sometimes, you just end up getting some whackjobs. I'm sure there's nothing to be concerned about."

Yet the sightings of this mysterious flash only continue to build in quantity, day-by-day. Could it be that the multiple sources are hallucinating? Is there a citywide epidemic causing this shared glimpse at what could be nothing more than a trick of the light, or common coincidence? Or has it finally happened, and Central City has found it's own Captain America?

Whatever the case may be, this reporter certainly likes to believe that in a world so chalk full of superheroes, there's always room for one more.

Iris West's columns can be read at http://www.cc-chronicle.org/
Follow us on Facebook at the Central City Chronicle page
to get exclusive access to all things Twin Cities!

"Made it."

It's hard to believe how much things can change in six months.

True, the passage of time always seems slow in the moment that it happens, but when you really look back at something so significant that's happened to you - so completely life changing that it's helped defined the trajectory of your path ever since that fateful moment - you start to realize just how astoundingly fast that each second passing you by really is. I used to be that way, back when I believed that it didn't matter. Nothing mattered to me except my work, the furthering of my scientific knowledge and it's applications towards the world. Now I've come to realize that there are some things more important than earning that sough-after degree in chemistry, or the grant to further someone's research.

Take, for example, the idea of a city like Central. Home to over two million residents, roughly three-quarters of the populace on a constant race with themselves to make their next destination. Chicago is the city that never sleeps, but Central was always known as the city that never stopped. If you look at traffic during rush hour, it's a nightmare of cars and a sea of horns blasting at one another. There isn't a statistic in the world that could disprove the fact that eight out of every ten cars out on the freeway are cruising way past the speed limit. There's even less of a chance that you'll drive away without a fender bender.

Yet in the span of three minutes, I just broke the sound barrier five times and beat the traffic on the way to work on foot. Also stopped three robberies in progress, dismantled an out-of-control cruiser threatening to run over a couple of kids, helped a window washer finish his day's workload in a couple of seconds, and saved a cat from falling off the nearby bridge and plummeting into the harbor. At first, it seemed difficult, but it's become second nature to me now. I don't even have to think to get myself dressed. I arrive on time, perfectly groomed and showered for the day without even having to have spent a second in my own apartment.

None of that was even possible back then.

My name is Barry Allen. Up until six months ago, I was just your average, everyday guy.

Now I'm The Fastest Man Alive. And this is my story.

Post a picture of your character:

Flash is...

Old 05-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #569
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Wait, did.......did Kraven and Batman just quote The Big Lebowski?

Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #570
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

The Batman abides.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #571
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Can't wait to see Bats on the JLA now.....

"Shut the **** up, Clark, you're out of your element!"

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #572
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Sorry guys. Was planning on getting posts up last night....and then I decided to go see The Avengers. Posts up tonight or tomorrow night.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #573
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

Sorry if that last Gorgon post is all over the place. I'm trying to accelarate the story and maybe the story telling is suffering a bit but I figure you guys won't be too critical. Anyway Iron Man has more or less figured out what the Gorgon intends to do and he will inform Reed, then his buddy Bruce Wayne, then he will try to assemble the Ultimates. He will tell them what he knows, effectively filling everyone in.

And in case you guys haven't guessed yet, America is not the target, never was. Its just a diversion to keep the world strongest millitary (and most of the world's heroes since they are US based, busy and distracted)

EDIT: I just edited that Gorgon post.

"Kneel before Zod!"

Last edited by bkhedr; 05-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #574
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

I'll try and pound out a Cap post tonight to try and get Cap and the gang back in time to get involved.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #575
bkhedr
Man of Mayhem

FYI everybody (especially Carnage27) I just edited that last Thor post

"Kneel before Zod!"