Thanks. I will check them out.

shallbecomeabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
plushbug
Certifiable anomaly

Default Re: Question by a DC fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Michael Avon Oeming's Thor: Ragnarock would be good to read before you tackle JMS. The Thor run that ties into Seige was Gilliean's(sp) run on Thor. (Which if you ask me was better than JMS'.)

Busiek's trades should be numbered in volumes.
That was Oeming's Thor : Disassembled that covered the Ragnarok before the JMS reboot...definitely worth a look as part of the story. I also found the main book for Siege worthwhile as background both for Gillen's Siege Aftermath and *wincing at the memory* Fraction's World Eaters. Can't recommend the latter.

There's also the 2-issue Thor tie-in to Chaos War, collected in the Chaos War: Avengers TPB I believe, which features his taking on Glory rather memorably. I liked it, but may have been unduly influenced by seeing a Fernando vid of it over on Youtube, beforehand.

plushbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Hey guys,

just finished reading the Thor Omnibus by JMS! LOVED IT! It ends very abruptly though. Could you guys give me the reading order for the trades or hardcovers I have to get to pick up where I left off?

Next up for me is the complete Invincible Iron Man run by Fraction, which I already had read a bit of, but now I ordered both Omnibuses.

Can somebody fill me in on other stuff from Marvel that plays to the same tune Thor does? Somebody said something about Journey Into Mystery with Loki?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Not Thor related but still dealing with a different pantheon of Gods in the Marvel universe... I'd recommend reading the mini or trade for Ares: God of War by Michael Oeming. After reading Thor Ragnorak by Oeming and LOVING it (first time I've ever read Thor and loved it) I thought I'd give the writer another chance with a character I knew nothing about. Ares ended up being just as good.

Here's the cover:

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Swordmaster
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
Hey guys,

just finished reading the Thor Omnibus by JMS! LOVED IT! It ends very abruptly though. Could you guys give me the reading order for the trades or hardcovers I have to get to pick up where I left off?

Next up for me is the complete Invincible Iron Man run by Fraction, which I already had read a bit of, but now I ordered both Omnibuses.

Can somebody fill me in on other stuff from Marvel that plays to the same tune Thor does? Somebody said something about Journey Into Mystery with Loki?
After the JMS Omnibus you've got:

-Latverian Prometheus
-Siege (the event)
-Thor: Siege (the tie-in in the main Thor book and probably better than the event itself, though I like both)
-Thor: Siege Aftermath

Then you get to Fraction's run on Thor which I can't in good conscience recommend. However, I can recommend Journey into Mystery, which is kind of a parallel series to Thor, written by Kieron Gillen, who wrote the Thor books after JMS left.

Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Swordmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
plushbug
Certifiable anomaly

...and in the middle of the Thor: Siege tie-in, in TPB, you get the Siege:Loki one-shot that absolutely isn't required to make sense of the current Journey Into Mystery starring kid!Loki...but added to Gillen's current run in JIM is a nice layer of back story to have.

100% recommend current JIM with Loki, first part recently released as the title's Fear Itself tie-in volume (no need to read Fear Itself, to "get" any of it) and for the most current fun there, this month we have the 5-part Exiled and JIM/New Mutants crossover including Thor, the Warriors Three, Sif, Tyr, and Hela as well as kid!Loki and most of his regular cast.

plushbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #32
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

If you like Thor and you like comedy, your two new favoritest series are going to be Journey into Mystery and Incredible Hercules.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Will definitely check out JIM soon! Thanks guys. And Thor I'll continue with the Gillen Collection trade, which should have everything up until Siege.
Is Siege a cool event book? It features Asgard quite prominently, I think, so should I check that out too?

How is the Daredevil run that followed Bendis? Just reread Bendis run and would love to see where it goes from here. I think Brubakers was next, followed by Diggle, right? Recommendable? What trades to get?

Another Question: Liked Brubakers Cap run and will try to get the three Omnibus in the next months. How is the stuff that follows that? Is Captain America and Bucky a good read? Just had the HC in my hands at a local comicshop and the art looked cool.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #34
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Siege was pretty good if you don't think about the actual events too much.

Everything up to the present is actually "Brubaker's Cap run." He hasn't left since he started however many years ago. He wrote Captain America and Bucky too, which was pretty good if you're interested in some of the history around Cap and Bucky's partnership and their successors. It just recently switched to a team-up book, though. It's now Captain America and Hawkeye for this arc, then it becomes Captain America and Iron Man for the next. As for the most recent Captain America volume, I wouldn't recommend it. The first couple arcs, by Brubaker and Alan Davis, are kind of bland. It seems like Brubaker's sort of out of ideas for Cap at this point, unfortunately. The new Winter Soldier series has been much better.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #35
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallbecomeabat View Post
Hey marvelites!

I am a big DC comic reader, but I know not really much about Marvel. The avengers movie got me really hyped to read some Marvel stuff again, preferably some Thor, because I never really read any of his books, or some cool Avengers stuff. Where do i start, what is a good read that doesn't require to know a lot about the other books? The thing is, since my fave character of all time is Batman and I really like the DCU I already buy too much comics as it is (my wallet is in constant agony), so I would really like great Marvel stuff that is more or less stand alone and does not require for me to buy dozens of other books.

I read a lot of the Ultimate stuff when it started, the Smith/Bendis run on Daredevil, read the Brubaker CA run until Bucky took over, Morrisons New X-Men, a bit of Fractions Iron Man, Ennis Punisher and Civil War all of which I really liked.
I would recommend Avengers Assemble by Kurt Busiek. I don't know if you its stand alone or not, but its great. The Avengers are so much fun, and Busiek knows how to write superheroes in a fun and interesting and dramatic way. He doesn't shy away from the big flashy comic stuff like the Avengers movie had. Plus its drawn by some great artists who don't shy away from making them seem superheroic. Beginning with most issues by George Perez who fills each page with as many Avengers as possible.

Another great book to get is Earth's Mightiest Heroes by Christopher Yost and Scott Kolins. Its great and stand alone. And its a fun intro to the Avengers starting at the beginning. There is also Earth's Mightiest Heroes 2 by
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Also Kurt Busiek's graphic novel he did with Alex Ross, Marvels. Tahts a good one. Its like a fun history lesson. Shows how all these different stories about the FF, Galactus, the X-Men and sentinels, Namor, Captain America, all work together in a time line, from a normal human living in the city's perspective.

These are my personal picks, stuff i really enjoyed and would love to read again even. I hope this helped.

(what is direct linking? Is it using that "Insert Image" button in the post menu?)

Last edited by Artistsean; 05-14-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #36
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

Thanks!
So, with Cap I will get three omnibuses and try out the CA and Bucky hardcover.

Busieks Avengers are on my wishlist and I will order them sometime this summer.

Earths Mightiest Heroes I did read at a friends house, when it came out. Liked it, but won't buy it for myself.
Same with Marvels. Liked it, but liked the "DC version" Kingdom Come much more.

Overall I have to say, since the new 52 relaunch has disappointed me so far as a long time DC fan (HATED the new Justice League and wasn't really wowed by anything except the batbooks, which are still my fave comics out there), I am really starting to love the Marvel U more and more!
I'm almost a tiny bit worried about the evil looks my Batman statues and busts are giving me currently, when I sit on my couch and read Thor, Iron Man or Daredevil

Such a shame that a lot of the cool omnibuses from Marvel are already hard to get. I love this format sooooooo much, I would buy nearly every character, just to have more of those giant collections. Can't wait when I get my hands on the two Invincible Iron Man Omnibuses, I am going to get from my post office later today. Even if the absolute editions by DC still look a bit nicer, you can't beat the sheer amount of issues that Marvel puts into the omnibuses. Love it.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #37
Anubis
Sup?

Yeah, Marvels is a good buy. It's one of those comics that all super hero comic readers should check out. Like Kingdom Come.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Nice thread! Makes me think about getting some of the omnibuses you guys recommend like Simonson & JMS's Thor and Busiek's Avengers.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #39
shallbecomeabat
Yes, father...

As a new reader of Marvel, I cannot recommend the JMS Thor Omnibus enough. Only problem is that he didn't finish his story and you have to read on elsewhere. Apart from Amazing Spider-Man, JMS did leave almost every ongoing before he finished the story, right? I mean, he did it over at DC with Superman and Wonder Woman at the same time. I really like his writing (most times... Grounded was horrible), but hate his work attitude. Such a lazy man.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #40
Anubis
Sup?

Technically, he left ASM as well cuz he refused to have his name put on One More Day....but mainly because he had an even worse idea for what to do with Spider-Man than what actually happened and got all butt hurt because they didn't like it.

You should try his Supreme Power stuff. But stay away from the continuation of Supreme Power, Squadron Supreme.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #41
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Y'know, as much as JMS butt****s the characters he writes...when he's good, he's really good. I still probably preferred the tone and focus of his FF more than anything McDuffie, Millar or Hickman's done with them since.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #42
Anubis
Sup?

His FF run was mediocre as hell.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #43
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Oh, it probably was.

But the FF since has been worse.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
Anubis
Sup?

I Disagree.

Hickman's run has been very good. Love what he did with Val and Frankie.

But all of em pail in comparison to the epic Waid/Ringo run from before.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #45
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
Technically, he left ASM as well cuz he refused to have his name put on One More Day....but mainly because he had an even worse idea for what to do with Spider-Man than what actually happened and got all butt hurt because they didn't like it.

You should try his Supreme Power stuff. But stay away from the continuation of Supreme Power, Squadron Supreme.
Do you know what his idea was? I honestly have no idea, but I really liked what he was doing with the character until they pulled the OMD/BND bull****.

He may very well be a mewling quim, but his Spidey run was pretty good, IMO.

WalkingDeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #46
Anubis
Sup?

He wanted to take him all the way back to the 70's. Bring Gwen back and have him be with her instead of MJ.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
I Disagree.

Hickman's run has been very good. Love what he did with Val and Frankie.

But all of em pail in comparison to the epic Waid/Ringo run from before.
I like what he did. But then again, technically smart Val was Millar's idea, and his run still sucked.

But I don't like the tone of Hickman's stories at all. He's sucked out all of the bright, comic booky fun that really makes the FF the FF (and is what made Waid's run so damn good).

Plus he dragged out his main storyline WAY too long.

And had way too many underwhelming conclusions to his arcs along the way.

Oh and he's hasn't done a good job maintaining a consistent focus on the entirety of the FF. I get the whole father/son thing he did with Nathaniel, Reed and Frankin, but, again, it went on way too long at the expense of everyone else in the FF.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #48
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Quote:
He wanted to take him all the way back to the 70's. Bring Gwen back and have him be with her instead of MJ.
Well, I'll admit that doesn't sound very good.

WalkingDeadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #49
Anubis
Sup?

Smart Val was my idea. Millar stole it.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #50
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, I wouldn't say making up a new character to be his girlfriend instead is much better.

Jesus, they should've left him married.