The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #226
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Batman: Earth One

Batman: Year One is the ultimate Batman origin story, it's considered a comic book classic and Batman Begins even took inspiration from that.
As for spider-man you can try the marvel masterworks: Spider-man volumes that reprint his stories in chronological order or the alternate universe comics
Ultimate Spider-Man which is set in the ultimate Marvel universe, a universe dedicated to reimagining marvel characters in the 21th century, pratically what Earth One is doing and Birthright was originally going to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #227
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Batman: Year One is the ultimate Batman origin story, it's considered a comic book classic and Batman Begins even took inspiration from that.
As for spider-man you can try the marvel masterworks: Spider-man volumes that reprint his stories in chronological order or the alternate universe comics
Ultimate Spider-Man which is set in the ultimate Marvel universe, a universe dedicated to reimagining marvel characters in the 21th century, pratically what Earth One is doing and Birthright was originally going to be
The "Ultimate Spider-Man" is not the same origin story we know from the movies though or older comics right? I had heard of "Batman: Year One" but forgot about it. I didn't know it was good, now I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #228
Lord
All Mighty

The movies take elements from many places, original comics, newer comics, in fact some aspects from the first movie recemble more ultimate spider-man, exemples are that like the movie in ultimate spider-man he is bitten by a genetically altered spider instead of a radioactive one, and here Mary Jane appeared before Gwen Stacy, and is the main love interest, just like in the movie.
And yes, Year One is good, in fact it's considered one of the best batman stories ever

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #229
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

The thing you have to understand is, nothing is EXACTLY the same anywhere in comics. Especially when it comes to adapting them to movies or TV.

It's best to look at it as a creative, very evolving media...that will always shift and change with different creators.

CConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #230
Superman_200
Superman

With this reboot of the comics, does that mean then that the new Detective #1 is going to start off with Bruce Wayne as a child with his parents still alive or it isn't in chronological order like that?

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #231
Lord
All Mighty

The Batman titles are not going to work like, that, since this is a soft reboot most Batman stories will remain canonical and so in these Batman stories Batman will be active for already some 6 or 7 years

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #232
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Batman titles are not going to work like, that, since this is a soft reboot most Batman stories will remain canonical and so in these Batman stories Batman will be active for already some 6 or 7 years
I thought DC comics and Scott Snyder said Batman was opperating in secret/as an urban legend for 6/7 years before Superman came out in public as the first superhero.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #233
Lord
All Mighty

He is operating in secret until some time after superman's introduction, i didn't say anything that contradicts that

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #234
Drz
Real Hero

1st look at Batman: Earth One by Geoff Johns & Gary Frank:

And just a reminder: Geoff Johns' pitch is to show a rookie Batman (instead of Morrison's Bat-god) and focus alot on the Bruce Wayne and Alfred Pennyworth relationship, which this preview nicely focuses on. Comes this summer!

From DC Blog
Quote:
2012 will bring the highly anticipated release of BATMAN: EARTH ONE, an original graphic novel retelling the Batman legend in a contemporary setting.

The collaboration between New York Times bestselling author Geoff Johns and critically acclaimed artist Gary Frank, BATMAN: EARTH ONE also marks the first original graphic novel for Johns – who is best known for his work on fan favorite ongoing series for DC Comics.

Together, they will present a new vision of Batman – a flawed and fallible hero who isn’t yet the master of Gotham City’s shadows.

“Gary and I are tackling BATMAN from the beginning, before he knows what he’s doing and with a very different ultimate goal in mind,” said Johns. “He’s never left Gotham. And our Gotham and the people in it are very gray. Our heroes unlikely. Our villains hidden. Our story is only beginning with volume one.”

“It’s essentially the first piece of the jigsaw,” said Frank. “He’s not the Batman people know, but he might be one day. He’s certainly not yet a superhero. The fun is to watch him piece the persona together drawing on his experiences and the influences of those around him and, at this stage, the idea of becoming a ‘superhero’ hasn’t even entered his head.”

Old 01-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #235
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I'm pretty sure I already preordered this. I can't wait to read it.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #236
-Catwoman-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathshead2 View Post
Alfred already does kick ass.

This one will just kick more. With his Cane. And take all of Bruces women. Cus he's Sean Connery.
Sean Connery, lol, now I see Alfred as bond.

-Catwoman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #237
SimbaRises
Banned User

This "Earth One" looks like it's borrowing elements of Darren Aronofsky / Frank Miller's Batman: Year One movie script.

SimbaRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #238
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:

BATMAN: EARTH ONE HC
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by GARY FRANK and JON SIBAL
Cover by GARY FRANK
On sale JULY 4 • 144 pg, FC, $22.99 US
• From GEOFF JOHNS and GARY FRANK, the acclaimed team behind SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN and the SHAZAM! stories in JUSTICE LEAGUE!
• In the tradition of SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, this spectacular original graphic novel gives new insight into BRUCE WAYNE’S transformation into BATMAN and his first year as THE DARK KNIGHT.
• In this all new take on the Batman mythos, Bruce Wayne is on the hunt for his parents’ killer. His target? The Mayor of Gotham City!
• Plus, who is Alfred Pennyworth – and why is he so determined to put an end to the Batman?
July 4th, 16 days before Rises. I wonder when Dark Knight Returns part 1 gets launched. 144 pages sounds great, means it has like what? Close to 20 pages of extras i hope. Also oh my, Batman's target is the Mayor? Well atleast it isn't Commissionaire Loeb, but the Mayor whos the bad guy with the mobsters?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #239
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Agreed, Batman: Year One is AWESOME!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #240
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I don't know if any of these things are really comparable to the Ultimate line. Ultimate Marvel is the entire universe reimagined, giving all the characters and their origins closer ties to each other. For example, Banner became the Hulk by using an experimental recreation of the super soldier serum on himself. Superman and Batman Earth One most likely put each character in their own private universe with no other superheroes.

Edit: I see they've gotten rid of the yellow oval. I wonder what the chances are they'll take away Superman's trunks in the next Earth One book.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #241
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Stoked for this. Really hope it's great. I love unique and modernized takes on great characters and mythoses. And though I've gotten that with a lot of great one-shots I really hope that this one can turn into a longer story-arc in a more self-contained universe

I already love the costume and using The Riddler as the first major villain is also a cool choice.

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #242
DeathRaven
Another soul for sale

Riddler is going to be the first villain? Interesting choice, that should be very cool to see how that all works out!

My art work
http://majorpain.deviantart.com/
DeathRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #243
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

It looks like they are using the blue and grey color scheme in Batman: Earth One.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #244
Blue Sugar
Banned User

The art looks great from what we have seen, Gary Frank ftw! And yes desaturated blue and grey color-scheme looks damn cool.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #245
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Is it true they got rid of the yellow oval in Batman: Earth One?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #246
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
Is it true they got rid of the yellow oval in Batman: Earth One?
In the latest sneak-peak it was gone. And the replacement black bat was quite bland.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #247
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Why the hell is DC SO against the oval anymore?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #248
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
In the latest sneak-peak it was gone. And the replacement black bat was quite bland.
What!? I must see! I bet they'll edit Superman: Earth One, 2 as well then.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #249
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
What!? I must see! I bet they'll edit Superman: Earth One, 2 as well then.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #250
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Yuck! That scene, from what I can tell, appears to be set early in the book (dirty batsuit, worried Alfred, house all covered up), so maybe it's temporary?

Who am I kidding?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote