The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
Flemm
Side-Kick

Default Re: Everything about the MCU is going to change now [spoilers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
People won't ask why Cap or Thor doesn't show up in an Iron Man movie. Simply because it's an "Iron Man" movie. There is Iron Man in the title not Iron Man and his Avenging Friends. The GA isn't THAT dumb. This is just an issue for fans underestimating the GA
Yeah, I agree. It's something that will take care of itself for the most part (with perhaps a little dialogue to help it along).

To me, a bigger question is: how much "crossover" material do you want to have?

On the one hand, you don't want every film to feel like a mash-up. On the other hand, there's not much point in having a shared universe if you aren't going to have any "sharing."

I guess that's where characters like Coulson and Maria Hill come in, potentially. So, it will be interesting to see how they handle that.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
Exactly. Some threats can be handled by themselves, and that's that. Each Avenger has proven their ability to deal with catastrophes and villains on their own...no reason why they can't do it again. Although I'm sure future films will make reference to the fact that they cannot call for backup.

That is a slippery slope though .... because on one hand you want the threat to be a legitimate one, but not so big that it would require other heroes. Not an easy task from a writing perspective IMO.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #28
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

I thought you meant that the MCU would change because now everyone will be expecting bigger and better things after The Avengers. There can't be any movies that feel rushed or smaller anymore because these movies will now have a much larger audience who want more out of them.

Even in reality, people want to deal with their own problems. The other heroes won't call up their Avengers friends because they're not dependent on them... That or contact won't be possible at all. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #29
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
That is a slippery slope though .... because on one hand you want the threat to be a legitimate one, but not so big that it would require other heroes. Not an easy task from a writing perspective IMO.

Some moments from the comics suggest to me how this might be handled. For example, there's an iconic moment in Frank Miller's Daredevil where Thor, Cap and Iron Man are suddenly there, but only briefly and in the background.

It's a scene that really captures the niche that Daredevil occupies in the MU.

So, I think sometimes at least, they will want to do that type of cameo.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Quote:
I agree, which is why it's all in execution. If you look at the Extremis storyline, (which is apparently the whole basis of IM3) Tony had plenty of opportunity to call the Avengers (and was even recommended to by other characters in the story), but he didn't and he refused because he felt it was a threat he needed to deal with alone, for personal reasons. Mallen was a HUGE threat in that story, and I'm sure a bigger team would have been called in if Iron Man failed to stop him. Sometimes it might be that other heroes are unavailable, or because these people have a sense of pride (especially Tony).

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
Some moments from the comics suggest to me how this might be handled. For example, there's an iconic moment in Frank Miller's Daredevil where Thor, Cap and Iron Man are suddenly there, but only briefly and in the background.

It's a scene that really captures the niche that Daredevil occupies in the MU.

So, I think sometimes at least, they will want to do that type of cameo.
The actual comic book medium imo does not represent a quality blue print for how it should be handled. Too often the comics break their own rules or cross the line of absurdity when it comes to these kinds of explanations.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #32
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
Well, one thing's for sure, it will be interesting to see what fans think of to be nervous about next with regard to the MCU.

Before Avengers, it was: this film can't seem like just another movie, it has to feel bigger!

Now it's: it will be hard to go back to solo films after this!

At some point we should probably just stop worrying lol. There will be some ups and downs, but I'd say the hard part is over. Experiment worked. Now the possibilities are endless.
Why do so many people believe in the myth that "the sequel has to be bigger than the previous story?"

It doesn't.

You can have just as much drama --- and even more, if you're a good enough writer --- in a personal one-on-one confrontation as in a kitchen-sink no-holds-barred free-for-all omgepicomg. Let's face it....the whole Star Wars film saga started off with one hell of a bang --- including blowing up the Death Star and even a whole goddam planet --- and yet the series continues to be idolized with fresh new material that doesn't even begin to equal up to the big-bang factor of Ep. IV.

The MCU will be just fine. There's smaller fish to fry, in both Avengers sequels and the solo sequels....and that's....okay. Roll wid it, bros

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #33
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
The actual comic book medium imo does not represent a quality blue print for how it should be handled. Too often the comics break their own rules or cross the line of absurdity when it comes to these kinds of explanations.

Well, in the example I was referring to, it's more that the issue is handled directly, and in a convincing manner, rather than dodged. Basically, it's in New York, Hell's Kitchen, where Daredevil hangs out. And there's an accident of some kind that causes a fire, so the Avengers show up to handle this disaster.

Meanwhile, Daredevil is just following his own agenda, and doesn't really want their help. But he's tracking a killer who wears the flag, as I recall, so Cap chases him down and offers help. But Daredevil doesn't really "get" why Cap cares about the flag as a symbol.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #34
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

Up until recently i would have considered myself as the GA, the avengers is the only movie i have ever followed this closely. I haven't read tons of comics either. Now with that said, im telling you right now as a GA member that i would never think to myself "why doesn't iron man call for help now that he has the avengers." If i have time to think about that during the movie, then the movie itself is not engaging what so ever and MS has bigger problems than explaining why the other avengers aren't there.

Personally i believe its a fairly easy task to handle and only takes us to look back at the previous movies to realize the easiest way to do it. Or am i the only one that knows that Thor, IM2 and TIH basically all took place at the same time. Kind of hard to call for help when the other team members are busy with there own things. If that can't work because MS wants to have the films span over a longer period of time then make it personal to the hero, where they don't want to call for help. It's not hard it just takes someone to set down and write a good explanation. If MS found a way to write a good story for the most epic crossover ever,The Avengers, then i think they can come up with convincing explanations for this. Done with rant.

DOOZlovesBOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #35
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

I always figured (before Thor 2, Iron Man 3, and Captain America 2) were announced that Marvel would do away with solo films, and just capitalize on Avengers films at all times.

It's gonna be lame having to do Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Captain America 2 before we can get them all back together again.

I'd rather have Avengers 2 before all those.