The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 03-23-2012, 02:20 AM   #101
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

I say lose Reynolds, lose Campbell, wait 10 years & reboot. Daredevil, Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer, Superman Returns, Punisher: War Zone...films that didn't warrant sequels but needed reboots & thankfully the studios saw that. By the time Daredevil & Fantastic Four are released, nobody will remember the crap that came before. Same goes for Man of Steel which will pretty much terminate whatever's left of the GA's memory of Superman Returns. In 2020, the third decade of CBMs, a Green Lantern reboot can be done right & perhaps share a universe with Snyder & Nolan's Superman franchise, which will be in its third installment at that point.

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #102
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Rebooting is a bad idea. Especially waiting 10 years. I say, evaluate the situation based on the performance of GL: TAS, then move forward if that catches on. Use the music from TAS for the score, and maybe give Hal, played by Reynolds, a redesign to look more like classic Hal Jordan. Then do an Emerald Dawn 2 type storyline and have Sinestro's use of the yellow ring get revealed after establishing Hal and Sinestro as friends. Maybe do something with Carol and the Star Sapphires to move things along at first. Carol as Star Sapphire appears evil at first by attacking Sinestro but it is later revealed that the reason the Star Sapphire is after Sinestro is because of his use of the yellow ring.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #103
The Morningstar
Banned User

They can't do a sequel. Who is going to watch the sequel to a movie that no one gave a **** about?

Fact is the audience didn't connect to the main character, which means the franchise is dead on arrival.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #104
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Rebooting is a bad idea. Especially waiting 10 years. I say, evaluate the situation based on the performance of GL: TAS, then move forward if that catches on. Use the music from TAS for the score, and maybe give Hal, played by Reynolds, a redesign to look more like classic Hal Jordan. Then do an Emerald Dawn 2 type storyline and have Sinestro's use of the yellow ring get revealed after establishing Hal and Sinestro as friends. Maybe do something with Carol and the Star Sapphires to move things along at first. Carol as Star Sapphire appears evil at first by attacking Sinestro but it is later revealed that the reason the Star Sapphire is after Sinestro is because of his use of the yellow ring.
Or just make the sequel animated and release it on DVD...instead of spending all that more on a movie for theaters which is the last place this franchise belongs after the first one.

But more sensibly, and responsibly...there shouldn't be a sequel if the first movie didn't earn one critically or successfully.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #105
Jordacar
The Endless One

I'd be cool with a direct sequel, just as long as Berlanti and Guggenheim are far away from it.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #106
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

If they are not gonna do a sequel for Green Lantern 1. I say make a Justice League movie first, then reboot the Green Lantern movie series.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #107
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
They can't do a sequel. Who is going to watch the sequel to a movie that no one gave a **** about?

Fact is the audience didn't connect to the main character, which means the franchise is dead on arrival.
They should do a movie that is a sequel but which doesn't act like one and reboots the over all style

kinda like Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengance, but except, ya know, good

TheWallCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #108
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I will laugh if this gets a sequel. While it is a little better a second or third time than the first, it still sucks.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #109
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Sure, laugh. But if it got a sequel and that sequel was a stellar sequel, eclipsing the bad of the first film... that'd be one hell of an accomplishment.

That's the thing, it's totally salvageable. They set up what would be the most significant element anyway. All they've got to do is give us a Hal more like his comic counterpart than the jack ass we got in this film. How much better would GL have been if Hal had been shown from the death of his father, to getting kicked out of the Air Force because of his issues with authority, to entering Ferris Air at the bottom of the food chain to earning his place as a test pilot?

Reynolds was just fine as Hal, the only problem is they wrote aspects of Hal as if he were a Ryan Reynolds character.... not as if he were Hal Jordan. Write Hal Jordan as Hal Jordan and let Reynolds play that, give us more Sinestro face time and have a ring powered throwdown between these two men.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #110
The Morningstar
Banned User

It maybe salvageable in terms of film making. But as a brand? As something that can be marketed? I doubt it. The first movie just left such a bad taste in peoples mouths, even if they do a sequel, and it's a masterpiece, no one will give a ****.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #111
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Perhaps.

Truthfully, it's the marketing that screwed the pooch... aside from the piss poor editing and crappy script. The marketing made it out like it was a full blown space opera and it wasn't.

Give it a few years and it might be something they can revisit, reinvent and reinvigorate.

The Hulk example is a stretch, but it might be worth considering. Though GL underperformed and was a critical failure even in comparison to Ang Lee's Hulk. 5 years from now GL isn't going to be remembered enough for people to be overly concerned, I think. Who even knows about it? Come at it again, make what they promised for #1 but turn it into a sort of soft reboot. Keep Reynolds and Strong. GL is still "canon" but GL2 starts off as if we don't know who this is.

There are some really interesting things that can be done with this franchise. It can be simultaneously a space opera epic AND a cop film akin to Training Day. Hell's Bells, call it Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn for all I care. Only instead of making it a kinda sorta retelling of ED1, make it ED2 but enable it to merge with a narrative that leads into a Sinestro Corps War for GL3. I have faith that it can be done spectacularly. The only question is how to jump the hurdle of the underwhelming performance, critical and general reception of GL1.

To me the prospects of GL2 ride somewhat on GL:TAS. If that can catch on with the kids and their folks, and the merchandising ever comes together for that(by the way, what's the deal with cartoon merch these days? Seems the only thing selling particularly well is The Clone Wars. Young Justice doesn't seem to have caught on at all, which doesn't give me much hope for GL:TAS having a toy line)... you could have WB getting the will power to pursue it again.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #112
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

If they wait 5 years, they would be better off going and doing a reboot, briefly touching on the origin and jumping right into the story.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #113
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

They'll wait, but not for a reboot. WB really wants a Justice League movie, so they can't start over from scratch yet. I say keep the cast and move on. This franchise is savable, in my opinion. Green Lantern wasn't Batman & Robin, Spiderman 3, Punisher: Warzone or Ghost Rider levels of mediocrity (more like Fantastic Four). That means minuscule improvements like relocating the film to San Diego and reducing the cheesy humor/elements could change everything.

Ryan Reyonds is a great actor, and is capable of great things but he was unable to display it with the s***ty script.

WB needs to be dedicated here and learn from the past mistakes. It's risky, but you can't get anywhere without risks. Marvel Studios took a couple huge gambles and they paid off. It had nothing to do with luck either.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 AM   #114
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I say lose Reynolds, lose Campbell, wait 10 years & reboot. .
10 years might be too late. Comic book adaptations have a huge amount of interest right now, but things could always change. There was a time when buddy cops and martial arts protagonists were gold, but that ran it's course. It's always a good idea to strike while the iron is hot.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #115
murdock_matt
Browncoat

Exactly. WB is definitely steamrolling to a JL movie. They HAVE to be. So why not consider GL their own version of The Incredible Hulk? TIH was better than GL, but it certainly didn't perform at the level a character of that worldwide fame SHOULD have. So you bite the bullet. You put out MOS. You get quality Flash, WW films out, then include the already established GL in the JL film. When that film blows up the box office like has never been seen before, THEN crank out a GL2.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #116
Daybreak_st
Old-School Comic Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Sure, laugh. But if it got a sequel and that sequel was a stellar sequel, eclipsing the bad of the first film... that'd be one hell of an accomplishment.

That's the thing, it's totally salvageable. They set up what would be the most significant element anyway. All they've got to do is give us a Hal more like his comic counterpart than the jack ass we got in this film. How much better would GL have been if Hal had been shown from the death of his father, to getting kicked out of the Air Force because of his issues with authority, to entering Ferris Air at the bottom of the food chain to earning his place as a test pilot?

Reynolds was just fine as Hal, the only problem is they wrote aspects of Hal as if he were a Ryan Reynolds character.... not as if he were Hal Jordan. Write Hal Jordan as Hal Jordan and let Reynolds play that, give us more Sinestro face time and have a ring powered throwdown between these two men.
Great post! I completely agree. I like the comparison of Chris Evans. Imagine if they tried to write Steve Rogers as Chris Evans/Johnny storm type. It would've been a colossal failure. Instead they wrote Steve Rogers properly and let Chris Evans transform himself into that character, and boom it worked well. That's what they should've done with Hal, but like you said they didn't. That's why it didn't work on film.

Get a personalized comic book:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82753148...c-book-4-pages

Daybreak_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #117
Lantern Venom
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
I will laugh if this gets a sequel. While it is a little better a second or third time than the first, it still sucks.
GL will get a sequel or a reboot. Just as in Hulk's case, an underperforming flick isn't going to make GL DOA on the silver screen. Green Lantern has a huge fanbase and will always pull in the core fans. The trick is to pull in the marginal fans for maximum profits.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #118
Maximus
Side-Kick

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/...n-might-reboot

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #119
Two-Face Killer
Child of Mental Awareness

Prior to the movie being released I thought I read an article about WB and DC feeling that GL was going to be their Star Wars. Imagine if they had an actual writer and some people who cared about making a true to the comic movie utilizing all the great characters in the GL world?? Star Wars fans are fanatical about every single character in those movies (except for Jar Jar I suppose) and if they had done justice to not only Hal but also Parallax and the other lanterns then they might have pulled off their vision of a Star Wars type universe where there are so many memorable characters that you care about and fun, large scale battles. Instead half of the Lanterns get killed in a quick 10 second battle and the rest just hang out on OA while Hal goes it alone against Parallax and Hector. What could have been....

My hope is that they if/when they make a new Green Lantern film they will do a better job of imagining this vision. I don't think they need to reboot the series for that however. I would rather not sit through yet another origin story but I know they don't put those in films for people that are already familiar with the characters. I honestly feel that they will continue to talk GL 2 or reboot but just never get around to it but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Two-Face Killer; 06-09-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Two-Face Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #120
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

At least WB are considering another GL movie, as others have said I think it would make more sense to make a sequel, Reynolds last movie was a hit so his stock has probably risen a bit more since GL.

Get some good well known actors alongside him for the sequel and make it great and the franchise will be salvagable.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #121
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

This is a manip, but it looks great, I would prefer that they get a real suit enhanced by some CGI (like Tron suit).

BTW, Andrew Garfield looks like Hal Jordan here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWallCrawler View Post
guys... the movie isn't just LIKE Green Lantern... it IS Green Lantern!!

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #122
luca_frontino
Side-Kick

They should go with Emerald Twilight.
We can have a Hal vs Sinestro twice in the same movie, actually, if they put a first battle on Earth within Coast City ending with its destruction and Sinestro imprisoned in the battery of Oa. Hal abuses of his power to try to recreate his city and its inhabitants (including his love interest), but he's trialed for this and then he snaps and starts to take all the other rings by killing the members of the corps one by one: the first by accident and the others because the situation just slips through his hands and he just has to survive so he can bring back Coast City. After the entire corps has been decimated, the guardians decide to free Sinestro who wants to stop Jordan, then we get the rematch between them and Hal wins by snapping his neck. Then, Hal starts absorbing the battery power in its entirety, while the guardians decide to sacrifice their lives in order to create a super ring and entrust it to Ganthet, whom will give it to a brand new host, Kyle Rayner. Ganthet trains Kyle and then he sends him to Oa to stop Hal (who could still be absorbing the battery). Hal and Kyle argue on the morality of Hal's intentions and then fight, but Jordan is stronger, so Kyle decides to overload Oa's core and sacrifice himself to end Jordan's plan.
At the end we see Kyle waking up over the debris of the obliterated planet with no sign of Jordan and he returns to Earth.

Last edited by luca_frontino; 06-15-2012 at 04:28 AM.
luca_frontino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #123
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

That story could be good for an animated DTV movie, but for a live action movie it is too long and complicated, besides it portrays Hal in a negative light, the last movie did not do him any favors either.

such a story will be difficult to market.

For the sequel, I think they should do away the "Green Lantern" and say Emerald Knight, but it may look as if they are trying to make it sound like the Dark Knight just to fool people.

Other title could be- Guardians of Oa

or maybe just- Lantern Corps.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #124
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
They should go with Emerald Twilight.
No. That **** didn't even deserve to be a comic.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #125
Airwings
Waves of air

The pic with Garfield looks like an inspiring take on GL. And the suit looks way more real than in the Campbell film. Even the white gloves are there. Can it be more perfect than that?

I really hope they make another, and re-cast the character, and present it as a reboot with just vague, very vague, hints that it could be a sequel as well, and have the film actually start where the other ended but at the same time work as a stand-alone adventure. Exactly like how it was done with Hulk and Incredible Hulk.

That means a different style. If we look at the Hulk adaptions: both were pretty dark, but while the first one was dramatic and serious, the second one more action-packed.

So the question we must ask is what we can take from the first film and use again in a reboot, while still change the way GL is approached. Any clues?

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote