The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > The Comics

Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
flash13
Wally West

Default What do you like about Superman?

Hey everyone, I'm doing a presentation on Superman for a class and I was going to have a part about his appeal. So why do you like Superman? What draws you to the character?

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8/10
GODZILLA 8/10
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 9/10
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 7.5/10
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1, November 21

Avengers: Age of Ultron, May 1
Jurassic World, June 12
Ant-Man, July 31
The Fantastic Four, August 7
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 2, November 20
Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, December 18
flash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: What do you like about Superman?

Huh, just spotted this thread and I think it's sad no one replied!

I guess it's just really difficult to put into words everything that makes him such an incredible character.

For me I think he's just this incredibly good person. And I like imagining a man like that. I even like to imagine one could exist

Everyone is so obsessed with the bad boys these days... Me included I must admit.

But when I was growing up, with no Dad around, Superman was kind of my male role model. I took a lot from him. I even still do.

Sometimes I'm sat in my office and I'm getting frustrated with a customer, and I think 'what would Clark Kent do?'. And I realise he'd be patient and polite and understanding, because those things don't cost you anything.

And it makes me a better person

That's an incredible feat. Not a lot of heroes are that inspirational. Most of them are messed up, or just as full of selfishness and rudeness as most of us are.

I certainly would never ask 'What would Batman do?' or 'What would Spiderman do?' In a situation like that.

Superman tells us to be the best person we can be. Take action, not just talk about or think about things. To stick to and defend what you believe is right. To treat other people with respect and to hold life as sacred.

And that's a hero I can get on board with. That's a hero I wanna read about every day. One who fights against corruption, greed, war... All the things that cause unneccesary suffering and death. A hero who appears at people's darkest moments, in a dark alley or the path of a tornado, when everything looks hopeless and they are sure they are going to die - and gives them back their lives.

What could be a greater Superhero than that?

P.S. I also love his taste in women. Lois Lane is just such a fantastic character

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 04-24-2012 at 06:55 AM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
flash13
Wally West

Thanks for the reply! I've already done the assignment but I still loved reading your post.

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 8/10
GODZILLA 8/10
X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST 9/10
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 7.5/10
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 1, November 21

Avengers: Age of Ultron, May 1
Jurassic World, June 12
Ant-Man, July 31
The Fantastic Four, August 7
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay: Part 2, November 20
Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, December 18
flash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Holmberg
Side-Kick

Originally it was the costume design that attracted me to the character, as with so many other characters.

Then it was the warmth of the character, and the underlying optimism and belive in life's worth, which I think has been characteristic for all the best Superman stories. Batman was cool, mysterious, and tough. That's his appeal. Superman is more the good hearted guy who wishes to do well simply because he can and because he loves his adopted planet. In some ways he is even more human than Batman. I disagree with the popular analyzis, also put forth in 'Kill Bill' that Superman is the only superhero who uses a human disguise to conceal who he REALLY is, whereas the other heroes uses the costumed alter ego to conceal their true identity.
It could also as easily be argued that Bruce Wayne the millionaire is the disguise, and the only life that really matters to Wayne is life as the Batman (ALfred downright tells Robin this in Knightfall). Superman is just as much Clark as he is Kal-el. He needs Clark to remain in contact with humanity, and to be part of humanity.

Finally, I like all the judeo-christian symbolism in the character (even though I'm an atheist): The infant swept in blankets and send off in a basket (or rocket) to be found by foster parents. The father who sends the son. The EL-name scheme is also very old testament. Superman could be seen as an angel as well as a christ figure, just as much as Marvel's Silver Surfer could. Maybe even more so. The scene I like the best in Superman Returns is where he goes in full Christ mode, complete with the crucified pose bathed in sun light, and then plummets to down to Earth. Just go all the way with the Christ motif.

It makes sense that Homer Simpson prays to Superman is his moment of dire need .

Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Blue Sugar
Banned User

His warmth and his heart. Being this singular beacon of hope in a hopeless world.

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

I'll throw my hat into this ring... This may be a bit scattered so try to follow along:

I like the idea of Superman as a crusader for social justice as he was in the golden age. Most of his mythology (with the exception of the campier elements like Crypto the Superdog or Comet the Superhorse) fit very neatly into my perception of who he is.

I like the idea of this guy out there doing a lot of hard work to make the world (not just Metropolis) a better place.

I am in love with the Byrne/Wolfman interpretation. I like my Superman to be powerful, but not ALL POWERFUL (for instance he could move an asteroid the size of the moon while struggling, but would never be able to move an entire planet out of orbit).

The Fleischer Superman cartoons got me into superheroes and comics

The costume is absolutely inspiring and great to look at... One of the best superhero costumes EVER! (only the classic costume)

Clark Kent as the real person is the better version as opposed to him just being a disguise.

His supporting characters are great, but I like Clark as the LAST SON OF KRYPTON and prefer to think of Supergirl (the Matrix or a visitor from Krypton's sister planet) and Superboy (Conner Kent) as separate non-Kryptonian entities. (do not care for LEGION OF SUPERHEROES as I don't like Clark as Superboy)

I love the Fortress of Solitude (I think of it as Superman's Batcave)

LOVE THE VILLAINS: Lex Luthor is a great villain but my favorites are Parasite, Metallo, Brainiac and Darkseid

Love the Daily Planet!

I could go on and on!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Superman to me holds various themes and is able to contain it in one character: the(in a way illegal) immigrant coming to america, a small town farmboy coming to the big city to find his place in the world, the big brother/father-figure in the superhero world, story of finding your place in the world and learning about your heritage, who is the r a guy fighting for truth and justice, a love story in the form of Lois Lane and so much more. He's everyone's wish fufillment in the form of his confidence, his powers and abilities and his wish to do good.

Whether it was Dean Cain or Tom Welling or Christopher Reeve or even animated versions of the character you never saw the actor but instead you saw what Superman is or what he would be like.

I am a huge fan of Smallville, Lois and Clark, the first 2 christopher reeves movies, DCAU Superman, DCNU/New 52 Superman, Fleischer cartoons. I got into Superman because of Smallville and It's Superman novel because it shows Superman as a fallible human being who has the potential for doing great things. To me it didn't matter if Clark Kent was the disguise or if Superman was just what Clark could do. The costume didn't matter as long he had the superman s, red and blue and didn't wear a mask I could tell he was Superman and it's not the costume but what he did that makes him Superman(Infinity Crisis, Smallville and New 52 helped me figured that out)

His adventures are always fun. No matter if he is fighting Brainiac or Lex Luthor, visting Kandor,or being a mild mannered Reporter it's always fun to read. That too me is what makes Superman.

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote