Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #501
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Default Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I loved how Wonder Girl utterly sucked against Lobo. Stupid Wonder Girl.
She didnt suck...she just underestimated how strong Lobo was. She got in some good shots.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #502
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman77 View Post
I guess that answers who the main characters are for Invasion season. I notice that most of them are from the Bat-Family - Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl. It looks like Aqualad, Kid Flash, and Artemis are replaced by Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, and Batgirl. Where does this leave Wonder Girl and Lagoon Boy? Are they part of the main cast or not?
They're all part of the main cast. The main cast is just bigger. Ms. Martian is a part and so are Mal Duncan and Bumblebee. They separated them into three groups because they're so big but they're not exactly guest stars or anything like The Justice League. I'm pretty sure this method of storytelling has been used in stories before. Teams/groups of characters factioning off only to meet again later.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #503
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Just caught the most recent episode, it feels like a totally different show. Nightwing and Blue Beetle were fun to see.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #504
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I don't think it felt like a totally different show... while incredibly jarring, I feel it is somewhat unfair to judge the time-jump until the story is finished in Weisman's eyes.

I think if Weisman was guaranteed a third season, he would have held up on this time jump. The guys been burned too many time and perhaps he is rushing things.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #505
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage View Post
They're all part of the main cast. The main cast is just bigger. Ms. Martian is a part and so are Mal Duncan and Bumblebee. They separated them into three groups because they're so big but they're not exactly guest stars or anything like The Justice League. I'm pretty sure this method of storytelling has been used in stories before. Teams/groups of characters factioning off only to meet again later.
Yes, in the Justice Society stories as they were the first to use this storytelling method.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #506
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Having just watched the new season, I am sad to say that I am at a lost for words over the show's re-tool. From what I understand, the first season was doing well enough with its target demographic and had a solid premise that a re-tool was not necessary in the first place. Moreover, the suddenness of the change carries the risk of alienating the old audience as they may not like the shift. Meanwhile, those that didn't like season one or who never gave the show a chance before aren't going to tune in now since they wouldn't have kept an eye on the show's development. The only potential gains would be from fans of the new characters - who even then are likely to be flaky and be less interested in the episodes where their favourites don't feature.

Now, onto the subjects of the time skip and cast expansion, I feel this is a repetition of a mistake Weisman made in the past with Gargoyles when Goliath toured around the world while trying to leave Avalon. In particular, when Goliath sees the future. Yes, the change of scene and premise is fun and interesting. However, it will eventually get old and the original premise was what the audience liked about the show in the first place!

Not to sound cliched but there is a saying that 'less is more'. But in this case, the real danger/problem is that 'more is less'. By increasing the main cast size so significantly, you wind up with less developed characters since there's less time to flesh out each individual. Moreover, the characters will be less unique. In season one, each of the main characters had their respective niche not just in combat style but in the team dynamic. With such a big group, there will be overlaps between characters. In addition, the downgrading of previous core characters and the time skip between the seasons effectively renders much of their development moot after merely one season; which is a waste.

Speaking of waste, I feel Dick Grayson's change from Robin to Nightwing was a real missed opportunity. If I remember my comic lore correctly, this happened following a falling out between Dick and Bruce (Batman); resulting in the former striking out on his own and going solo. This would have fit really well with the show since the Batman-Robin relationship is, out of all the mentor-sidekick relationships shown in the show, the strongest and most familial (even more so than Martian Manhunter and Megan, who are supposed to be uncle and niece!). Watching that fall apart and gradually rebuilt over the course of the season would have made for a good storyline.

In terms of how it'd go, I'd imagine that Robin and Batman would have a disagreement (e.g. following the conclusion of the Speedy cloning situation, with the Justice League thinking it better to lock up Red Arrow) leading Robin to leave the Team, taking with him a number of sidekicks who feel the same (hence explaining why they have been adding more and more characters to the Team over the course of season one, and possibly two), with Robin as team leader of the Second Team. In the end, Robin and Batman reconcile and Robin returns to the Team and takes over its leadership (after Aqualad either gets killed or graduates to JL membership); completing his character arc of gaining confidence/experience to lead the Team.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 05-01-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #507
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I think we will see Aqualad, Artimis, and the rest, return in big ways throughout the show. They aren't gone for good. And what we will probably get is a different take on new members joining a team. Like some will wash out and such. And we will probably see the DCU from the eyes of Young Justice members.
Even though this would change things back to seson 1, which I also doubt they would want to do anyway, I hope this isn't some time traveling thing where if they undo the 16 hours the six JLA members did then all of Season 2 would be undone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
She didnt suck...she just underestimated how strong Lobo was. She got in some good shots.
It also shows that she is newer and younger than someone like Nightwing. She has less experience so she assumes she can take Lobo down and seems too confident.

Don't know if this was already posted, its a little old, and it didn't talk about why the retooling, but I think it mentions how they sort of planned something. So I don't think they just retooled it for no reason other than they were told to or the fans or something. I think it has to do with the story.
http://www.ksitetv.com/young-justice...premiere/13884
Quote:
KSITETV: of Young Justice is subtitled Invasion. Who is it that is doing the invading?
GW: It’s not just one alien race. We’ve got something like eight or nine alien races at one point or another hitting the Earth throughout the season. Earth has had the spotlight shone on it, and the galaxy’s taking notice. I’m not going to get to specifics about it, but we definitely have a cascading alien danger.
In the finale, Vandal Savage referred to a “Phase Two.” Does this have anything to do with the coming Invasion?
GW: It does. Everything ties in, going frankly all the way back to Episode 1 of Season 1, but definitely Episode 26, our finale of Season 1, which aired this past weekend.
When we designed the show, we didn’t know that Episode 1 of Season 2 would air literally one week after, but it’s pretty cool, because it really lets our momentum go right into the new season. The episode literally starts where the previous episode left off, and things get pretty intense very quickly.
What kind of journey is Red Arrow going to be going on, now that he knows he’s not really Roy?
GW: It’s a downward spiral at first, frankly. And that very way you phrased that, that he’s not really Roy, is going to be a big issue for him. He’s not the original Roy, but is he really Roy or not? That’s one of the questions that he’s going to be dealing with throughout the season. He’s got this overall goal to find the original Speedy, the original Roy Harper. Obviously I’m not going to say whether he succeeds or not. A lot of characters on the show are convinced that The Light didn’t keep the original Roy Harper alive.
BV: It’s one of the great personal journeys that we’ve got in our second season. So much of our second season is focused on the invasion. Roy Harper’s story was actually the great little side story for us to explore and tell throughout the second season.
This interview also clears up some stuff, but not completely:
http://www.**************.com/news/?a=58760
Quote:
The producers said that Season 2 picks up the minute where season 1 left off. They also said that they changed up the dynamic of the show and characters.
"We changed things up a little bit," Vietti told me. "In the first season, the team's all very new. They're all young teenagers trying to come into their own in the world and be more grown-up heroes. So we explored a lot of relationships between teenage students and adult mentors. That was a big dynamic we explored throughout the course of the first season. In our second season, the team has really proven themselves since the first season. They're a full-fledged team. They're sort of the side unit of the Justice League, and they've been very successful. They've even come up with their own missions and stuff, to the point where they haven't needed to be assigned tasks to do. I think in the second season, you're going to see a lot less of that dynamic where somebody has to come give them an assignment. We wanted them to feel like they've grown. They're their own unit, they're finding their own missions and going out to solve problems on their own."
They then talked about how The Light story is not near over.
"I think it's just begun," hints Weisman. "It's basically stage one of The Light's plan in Season 1. At the end of Season 1, Vandal Savage actually says, 'Let's begin phase two.' That launches us off into our second season where we explore more of his plans. You will see The Light [again]."
The producers explained The Light don't see themselves as being evil at all.
"They see themselves as the heroes of the story," says Weisman. "I don't think they see the Justice League as evil; I think they see them as hugely misguided. So I think maybe one of the contrasts for our series, as opposed to other shows, is that our bad guys aren't particularly interested in killing our good guys. That's not to say that they won't kill them if they get in the way or they're problematic at a specific moment, but there's no desire to, you know -- 'I've got to get that superhero!' It's not really about that. Oftentimes, our bad guys see our heroes as useful pawns, and sometimes our heroes are useful pawns. That's not going to change. The Light has really, really long-term plans, and all that happens in Season 1 feeds into Season 2. And all that happens in Season 2 is part of those plans."
A part of those plans is the introduction of even more characters on the show.
"We will have new members come in that join the team," says Weisman. "Some don't join the team. Some join the team but don't make the cut. It's going to be an ongoing issue throughout the season. And a lot of the dynamics are shifting, as Brandon said, from this sort of mentor/protege, student/teacher dynamic -- even a child dynamic -- in Season 1 to more of a senior/freshman dynamic in Season 2, where our original characters who've been in it from more or less day one are now the seniors of the class. We've got some freshmen coming in, and we want to see how that gels. Now the younger kids learn from the older kids."

Weisman adds that the series was always conceived as a "DC Universe show."
"We've had tremendous support from our friends at DC," he says. "And bringing all these characters to life, we counted them up, and I think we have like 240-something characters over the course of two seasons, which is huge. And it's all good for the characters. We've been fortunate enough to cast some lesser known characters from the comics and put the spotlight on them in our show and start introducing these characters to old fans and new fans alike. I think that's been great fun for us because we just love all these characters, and we want everybody else in the world to love these characters too. So it's been awesome to have this opportunity and this series to explore so much of the DC Universe."

Last edited by Artistsean; 05-01-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #508
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

I am much more interested in the YJverse than the DCnu verse. To bad DC cant make a Earth 16 universe and span of titles.

And they should def. talk to Geoff and WB about doing a YJ dtv that can take place during the missing 5 years. I know it will be covered in the video game but it would gget much more attention if animated.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #509
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
I am much more interested in the YJverse than the DCnu verse. To bad DC cant make a Earth 16 universe and span of titles.

And they should def. talk to Geoff and WB about doing a YJ dtv that can take place during the missing 5 years. I know it will be covered in the video game but it would gget much more attention if animated.
I'd rather have a third season at this point... it's still very much up in the air.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #510
CLARKY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Same here. They managed to make the universe young and attractive while keeping the permanent features, designs and stories.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #511
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I'd rather have a third season at this point... it's still very much up in the air.
I still want a 3rd season but getting a dtv out of it wouldnt be bad.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #512
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, that's called sucking. Lobo tossed her aside pretty casually and completed his contract, so she was 100% ineffective by any and all measures, a.k.a. she sucked.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #513
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
I still want a 3rd season but getting a dtv out of it wouldnt be bad.
That's the one thing that sucks about the DVD line... it's filled the gap in that market, so WB don't do DTV's for their DC tv shows.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #514
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Quote:
Yeah, that's called sucking. Lobo tossed her aside pretty casually and completed his contract, so she was 100% ineffective by any and all measures, a.k.a. she sucked.
As did the whole YJ and JL last season.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #515
JTStarkiller
Now scan, alien!

Anyone know of any plans for the complete season 1 on DVD, or preferably Blu-ray?

"I'm an avid reader of message boards because I like to know how people with poor grammar really feel." - Mike Birbiglia
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #516
TheCorpulent1
Rory PAOUNCH!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
As did the whole YJ and JL last season.
I agree completely. They've done a pretty terrible job of being heroes, starting way back in the first episode where Batman decides to use minors as a black ops squad. That's why it's good that this show is so much more concerned with character development.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #517
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Nope. Just dont expect it anytime soon so you can be surprised if it is ever announced after the show ends.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #518
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
Anyone know of any plans for the complete season 1 on DVD, or preferably Blu-ray?
Nope... And I don't we'll hear word on them any time soon, if at all.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #519
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
Yup, here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Young-Justice-...=3OMXDU5D6E01T
Quote:
I agree completely. They've done a pretty terrible job of being heroes, starting way back in the first episode where Batman decides to use minors as a black ops squad. That's why it's good that this show is so much more concerned with character development.
Thats part of their shows realism. These are young kids, some 14 years old, some 16, etc. They aren't adults and they don't always know what they are doing. They don't have all the answers. And don't always win. Batman saw their potential and knew they needed to be groomed because they were the next generation of Superheroes. Without guidance they could get killed or turn evil. So Their failing is part of the character development.
That is what they plan to show in season 2. New "freshmen" who are just as inexperienced as they were in season 1. 5 years of experience and the "senior class" knows more of what they are doing and will help the younger heroes become better. That is why Wonder Girl didn't defeat Lobo. It also shows how serious the situation was.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #520
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
This frustrates me... I would have rather they just did 13 episode season sets.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #521
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Thats only half the season anyway, so it isnt really "compelte"

Old 05-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #522
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

As for profiles cn probably just haven't gotten them uploaded yet. And again we still have no clue if all the new heroes will appear in all episodes, or miss a. Few like we saw in season one. Same with old team members who where missing in premmire.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #523
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Has anyone addressed who even hired Lobo for this bounty and why? Seems like something that could come back later in the season.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #524
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
I don't think it felt like a totally different show... while incredibly jarring, I feel it is somewhat unfair to judge the time-jump until the story is finished in Weisman's eyes.

I think if Weisman was guaranteed a third season, he would have held up on this time jump. The guys been burned too many time and perhaps he is rushing things.
Yeah, "jarring" is definitely how I'd describe it. It just feels like a lot more than 5 years has passed. Very curious to see how this story wraps up.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #525
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
Has anyone addressed who even hired Lobo for this bounty and why? Seems like something that could come back later in the season.
Considering we saw Godfrey using the footage for his show, it seems the identity of his employer will be kept in the dark for this side plot.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Closed Thread