The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #76
Gwendolyn Stacy
Nerdette

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptron View Post
I've seen on various forums people saying that a lot of critics gave positive reviews on the show and called it the best Spider-man show ever. Does anyone have any links to these reviews? Not that I don't believe those people, but I'm just interested in reading what the critics had to say.
Here's two reviews from toonzone:
http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...tty-much-that/
http://www.toonzone.net/news/article...-first-season/

Old 04-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #77
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Default Re: "The Spectacular Spider-Man" Appreciation Thread (possible spoilers)

I have two nitpicks with Market Forces (episode 4: Shocker):
  • Peter is in the gym, only when Flash smells the stench everyone is suddenly bothered with it
  • Then we see Peter talking about the new camera in his hand, and he speaks to Betty by the hotdog cart near the Bugle, then they act as if he never bought one

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #78
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I love this clip, and I love Venom in this show

Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #79
SymbioticToxin
Dominus of Megadeus

SSM's version of Venom was my favorite animated version. And I loved the scene where the above picture came from. And he was just menacing overall, my personal favorite line of his being 'What's the matter, bro? Spider-sense didn't tingle?'

SymbioticToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #80
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

^Yeah, that line is one of the best delivered by Venom anywhere

Old 04-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #81
SymbioticToxin
Dominus of Megadeus

As well as when he kinda called him how for trying to be the hero when, in his eyes and after everything, he was in the wrong. 'Oh you'd love that! To be her hero. But you're the villain here!'

Old 04-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #82
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Yesterday I played a little of the 90s cartoon and TSSM just for the difference between how the two react to being squeezed:
90s cartoon guy always has to wait for someone or something to save him
TSSM Spidey is awesome, he makes a witty banter and releases himself

Old 04-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
Zant
Side-Kick

What if Wiseman wanted a time jump for the next season

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #84
varsas
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've seen on various forums people saying that a lot of critics gave positive reviews on the show and called it the best Spider-man show ever. Does anyone have any links to these reviews? Not that I don't believe those people, but I'm just interested in reading what the critics had to say.
Reviews for every episode at IGN.

varsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #85
SymbioticToxin
Dominus of Megadeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
I wouldn't have minded that at all. Teen Peter is great, but seeing him go off into college would be something nifty to see too. More responsibility to deal with would help make for some good story in the cartoon had that happened.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #86
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zant View Post
I'm pretty sure he wanted to end the show by what they hoped to have a fifth season with them graduating high school

Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #87
optimus2861
Side-Kick

I've been rewatching the first season, and one little "how'd they get that past the censors?!" moment that I missed the first time around -

-Peter has just walked off from MJ at the dance-
-MJ scans the crowd, deciding which lucky guy gets to be her new dance partner, picks Rand-
MJ: It's Randy, right?
Rand: Very.

This one's not a censor-moment but I loved it anyway, in ep #12 (my emphasis added):
Uncle Ben: With great power, there must also come great responsibility.

That's the actual original line from AF#15 (note that Ben never says it in the original, it's in a caption). While the difference in meaning is subtle, I feel it's significant and I've always preferred it to the shortened version.

My favorite fight moment in S1: versus Sandman, Spidey, sick of being kicked around, decides to show Sandman "What I've got!", and effortlessly slams a steel girder into Sandman's head! The 94 Spidey never came close to that level of strength, nor would the censors then have let him pull a move like that.

Last edited by optimus2861; 04-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.
optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #88
zeptron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I'm pretty sure he wanted to end the show by what they hoped to have a fifth season with them graduating high school
I believe he also wanted some DTVs which would have focused on Peter's college years.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 AM   #89
SpaceWay2009
Wall-Crawler

Yep. Sadly it never made it pass the second season. I've been watching the series again. I'm currently on season two, episode 10, I believe. And I really do miss this show. It would be a miracle if TSSM was somehow allowed to continue where it was left off by Weisman and his cast/crew.

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223
SpaceWay2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 AM   #90
Pep
Side-Kick

If any of you are in the LA area, take note:

Greg Weisman and Vic Cook will be at MELTDOWN comics Saturday, May 5th
signing copies of Mecha-Nation #1
(all three issues and trade paperback available this summer)

The Signing is 12-2pm on Saturday, May 5th
Meltdown comics
7522 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90046
(323) 851-7223
http://www.meltcomics.com
Neighborhood: Hollywood
http://ape-entertainment.com/comics/.../mecha-nation/

Pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #91
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
I believe he also wanted some DTVs which would have focused on Peter's college years.
I heard of those too, and it would have been fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWay2009 View Post
Yep. Sadly it never made it pass the second season. I've been watching the series again. I'm currently on season two, episode 10, I believe. And I really do miss this show. It would be a miracle if TSSM was somehow allowed to continue where it was left off by Weisman and his cast/crew.
I strongly hope that happens, I really want a Spectacular cartoon based on my favorite character to be as long as the 90s cartoon, as much as I love that show, it made plenty of misses

Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #92
spida-man
THE AMAZING

This makes me an EXTREMELY sad TSSM fan =/

http://joshkeaton.tumblr.com/post/22...-ass-ill-never
Quote:
I wasn’t involved in the writing so what I have to say is purely speculation, but I do remember Greg mentioning that he would like to have had each season represent a year in Peter’s HS career and would culminate with his graduation. I’m pretty sure he wanted Peter to age/mature over the course of the show, and in a perfect world he would have liked to do some direct to DVD movies of college. I’m willing to bet that the “course title as episode title” motif would have stayed around. As for stories, nothing that Greg does is by accident. Roderick Kingsley, Morris Bench, Jean Dewolff and Stan Carter appeared in S2. I assume things would have been followed up on there.
I would have loved to see an episode with the Spot

Old 05-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #93
zeptron
Side-Kick

^So Greg was planning on bring in Hydro-man then? I wonder if there would have been an episode with both he and Sandman.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #94
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida-man View Post
This makes me an EXTREMELY sad TSSM fan =/

http://joshkeaton.tumblr.com/post/22...-ass-ill-never
I'm sad

Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #95
SpaceWay2009
Wall-Crawler

All I can do is grieve for TSSM.

Reasons as to why TSSM was cancelled: http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/....php?qid=14223
SpaceWay2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #96
Pep
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceWay2009 View Post
All I can do is grieve for TSSM.
Or you can continue to be vocal about how Greg Weisman and Victor Cook are the people who NEED to be working on Spider-Man. Even if TSSM is never continued, we might be able to yell loud enough to get through the thick, collective skull of the current Marvel Animation regime to bring them back.

Pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #97
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Or you can continue to be vocal about how Greg Weisman and Victor Cook are the people who NEED to be working on Spider-Man. Even if TSSM is never continued, we might be able to yell loud enough to get through the thick, collective skull of the current Marvel Animation regime to bring them back.
I wouldn't mind getting two Spider-Man cartoons next year, the decade that started the "two Spidey toons a decade" had season 1 of the other show in the same year of the previous series

Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #98
spida-man
THE AMAZING

there HAS to be something we can do. if a bunch of whiny gamers can ****** and moan about a stupid ending to a stupid video game and get the company to announce they will create a new ending why can't we do something about TSSM?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:50 AM   #99
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Cause that game company is nice and awesome?

Old 05-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #100
zeptron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida-man View Post
there HAS to be something we can do. if a bunch of whiny gamers can ****** and moan about a stupid ending to a stupid video game and get the company to announce they will create a new ending why can't we do something about TSSM?
What game was this?