The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #426
TheGambler
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers Post Screening Review & Discussion Thread (SPOILER FILLED) - Par

That's A LOT of people watching The Avengers thread. Haha. Wow.

TheGambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #427
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers Post Screening Review & Discussion Thread (SPOILER FILLED) - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
That's A LOT of people watching The Avengers thread. Haha. Wow.
14 watching the thread. 3000ish watching the forum itself.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #428
TheGambler
Side-Kick

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry. But 3000? Crazy.

TheGambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #429
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry. But 3000? Crazy.
What I don't get is why they're not interested in reading the threads. They're just looking at thread titles I guess.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #430
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
If they want me to see something they should put it IN the freeking movie.
What exactly does Marvel stand to lose if J. Random Duder leaves before the stinger? Ten bucks says they don't give a rat's ass if you see it or not.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #431
Oruku Saki
Side-Kick

Reasoning with EP is like talking to a brick wall made of sarcasm

Old 05-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #432
Oruku Saki
Side-Kick

And cue the sarcastic remark...

Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #433
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
The Thor Post-Creds revealed Selvig to be under the control of Loki already. This made his receiving the Cube ominous and foreboding.
Then The Avengers starts and there's no reference to it at all. Loki has to use his spear to control Selvig just like everybody else.
Weird, no?
I don't know if this has been discussed fully but here goes:

In the after creds scene I interpreted that as Loki using long range mind control to influence, but he did not have total control. In the Avengers film, when he uses the staff I think it's different in that he takes full possession of the person. As Hawkeye described it, it was like he was obliterated and then remade. That's the difference, one is influence, the other makes you a complete mind slave. In Avengers you saw something similar to what happened to Selvig in the Thor after creds: The scene where they're all being manipulated into bickering, even though Loki wasn't there physically and did not use the staff.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #434
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

So, IMDB mentions the mid-credit scenes, but with one added detail I was unaware of...

It says that....

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Red Skull is standing next to Thanos. Is that true?

Last edited by BrollySupersj; 05-03-2012 at 01:58 AM.
BrollySupersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #435
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
Not to start a DC/Marvel war, but if DC plans to ever do a Justice League film, it's going to have a lot to live up to....especially considering how well Avengers was put together.
People are already in the MOS threads talking about no one in TA has any powers besides super strength and using "tools".

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 05-03-2012 at 01:51 AM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #436
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
So, IMDB mentions the mid-credit scenes, but with one added detail I was unaware of...

It says that....

Red Skull is standing next to Red Skull. Is that true?

Not that I remember. Thanos's lackey "The Other" was the only other creature in that scene.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #437
Chef Borjan

Hi there. First time post.

Coming here to say, yes this was a great film. Lots of action and funny scenes made for a fantastic comic book film. Lot's of nice little nods too, like when IM used his wrist mounted laser beam and you saw the cartridge pop off as in the previous films.

BUT... Thor. The way he was handled I have issues with. I'll summarise each main encounter of his and what was either right/wrong with it.

1) Thor vs IM
Not a problem here. Thor is not trying to hurt IM, and easily take all of the blows that Tony can dish out. I feel that Thor was rightly holding back. He probably would have killed Cap if he hit him anywhere but on the shield at the end though.

2) Thor vs Hulk
Again, not much of a problem. This was Thor's first time fighting the Hulk, so probably didn't know much about what to expect. Again, I don't think he was at full power right away. You could see that the Hulk tiring out Thor towards the end of the fight, but I still feel Thor had a LOT left in the tank. Besides, he wanted to avoid bringing the whole helicarrier down.

3) Thor falling in the cage.
What the HELL was this about. Even if somehow SHIELD had developed a cage able to hold the hulk (I'll allow it), would simply dropping either the Hulk or Thor down from great height do anything? Given Thor's strength and the blows he can take, he should have literally just sat there and rode the whole journey out until he hit the ground and picked himself up and flew back to the helicarrier. Also, so this thing can break from hitting the ground, but the God of Thunder has issues? Okay I know he got out at the end.... but still.. my main point is why was he worried about hitting the ground?

4) Thor vs Loki.
People are saying this fight didn't seem as impressive. I understand it may have been the case visually, but initially I took this as two Asgardian gods going at it, okay it might not look as impressive to us, but each blow they were throwing was capable of leveling buildings or something. So... yeah I can allow this one.

5) Thor versus the army.
THIS is where I start having issues. Major issues. I could go on at length... but I'll summarise it with this. If the even the Black Widow and Hawkeye are able to fight these things hand to hand, and if Cap shrug off a direct blast from a weapon to the stomach.... then Thor should be taking down literally thousands of these things without breaking a sweat. He was looking damn tired half of the time. Okay great, he got stabbed by Loki. It's not like he has not been in battles FAR greater than this and no doubt been wounded to a far greater degree.... again the power level difference between Thor and these alien soldiers should be so vast it doesn't make a difference. He also didn't get many major cool points, that I'm not too fussed with.

So it all boils down to the fact that I think the film didn't want to make him (and the Hulk) seem so out of the league of the other heros as the render them useless. It's understandable, but I think it could have still been done in a way that worked. Perhaps have the Hulk and Thor having to go off and handle a big threat/thousands of foot soldiers to stem the tide, whilst the rest go and do a more surgical strike. It's weird, because they subtly showed us that BW was 'out of her league', then why couldn't they do the same thing with Thor (and the Hulk, though he was handled a little better, ie one shotting of of the large dragons with a single punch and never really looking fazed in the entire battle... he got overwhelmed for a few seconds by a barrage of cannon fire, but you knew he would have just straight back up and took them all out right after)?

P.S.

This will all be forgiven if they go Civil War on us, and recreate the scene where Thor puts Iron Man in his place.... finally showing us what he is capable of. Don't get me wrong I love Iron Man. But I don't like it when people get ideas above their station! Haha.

Chef Borjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #438
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Borjan View Post
Hi there. First time post.

Coming here to say, yes this was a great film. Lots of action and funny scenes made for a fantastic comic book film. Lot's of nice little nods too, like when IM used his wrist mounted laser beam and you saw the cartridge pop off as in the previous films.

BUT... Thor. The way he was handled I have issues with. I'll summarise each main encounter of his and what was either right/wrong with it.

1) Thor vs IM
Not a problem here. Thor is not trying to hurt IM, and easily take all of the blows that Tony can dish out. I feel that Thor was rightly holding back. He probably would have killed Cap if he hit him anywhere but on the shield at the end though.

2) Thor vs Hulk
Again, not much of a problem. This was Thor's first time fighting the Hulk, so probably didn't know much about what to expect. Again, I don't think he was at full power right away. You could see that the Hulk tiring out Thor towards the end of the fight, but I still feel Thor had a LOT left in the tank. Besides, he wanted to avoid bringing the whole helicarrier down.

3) Thor falling in the cage.
What the HELL was this about. Even if somehow SHIELD had developed a cage able to hold the hulk (I'll allow it), would simply dropping either the Hulk or Thor down from great height do anything? Given Thor's strength and the blows he can take, he should have literally just sat there and rode the whole journey out until he hit the ground and picked himself up and flew back to the helicarrier. Also, so this thing can break from hitting the ground, but the God of Thunder has issues? Okay I know he got out at the end.... but still.. my main point is why was he worried about hitting the ground?

4) Thor vs Loki.
People are saying this fight didn't seem as impressive. I understand it may have been the case visually, but initially I took this as two Asgardian gods going at it, okay it might not look as impressive to us, but each blow they were throwing was capable of leveling buildings or something. So... yeah I can allow this one.

5) Thor versus the army.
THIS is where I start having issues. Major issues. I could go on at length... but I'll summarise it with this. If the even the Black Widow and Hawkeye are able to fight these things hand to hand, and if Cap shrug off a direct blast from a weapon to the stomach.... then Thor should be taking down literally thousands of these things without breaking a sweat. He was looking damn tired half of the time. Okay great, he got stabbed by Loki. It's not like he has not been in battles FAR greater than this and no doubt been wounded to a far greater degree.... again the power level difference between Thor and these alien soldiers should be so vast it doesn't make a difference. He also didn't get many major cool points, that I'm not too fussed with.

So it all boils down to the fact that I think the film didn't want to make him (and the Hulk) seem so out of the league of the other heros as the render them useless. It's understandable, but I think it could have still been done in a way that worked. Perhaps have the Hulk and Thor having to go off and handle a big threat/thousands of foot soldiers to stem the tide, whilst the rest go and do a more surgical strike. It's weird, because they subtly showed us that BW was 'out of her league', then why couldn't they do the same thing with Thor (and the Hulk, though he was handled a little better, ie one shotting of of the large dragons with a single punch and never really looking fazed in the entire battle... he got overwhelmed for a few seconds by a barrage of cannon fire, but you knew he would have just straight back up and took them all out right after)?

P.S.

This will all be forgiven if they go Civil War on us, and recreate the scene where Thor puts Iron Man in his place.... finally showing us what he is capable of. Don't get me wrong I love Iron Man. But I don't like it when people get ideas above their station! Haha.
Well in regards to that; my interpretation is that:

1. Personally, I believe that Thor would have survived that fall had he crashed into the ground while still inside that cage, especially since it's been established in the MCU that Thor is capable of falling from high levels as it was shown in Thor where Loki had shot him from inside Odin's room.

Be that as it may, I think, it would have still hurt Thor had he taken the full frontal assault of that fall, so rather than experiencing any unneeded pain, he bailed out. It should be worth noting that for a cage that was designed to contain the Hulk, Thor was able to slam his way out of it with one powerful hit.

2. I thought Thor was impressive in the final battle; he was shown taking down a lot of soldiers with just one attack, something that I don't remember seeing anyone else doing. You could have Iron Man blasting one soldier one by one, or the Hulk smashing into a few, but Thor's lighting attack took out several, even one big flying dragon at the same time.

Plus, Thor was the only one alongside Hulk who didn't have to do something crazy and risk taking in order to take down those dragons and it never really affected his health.

Also, I think Thor was being smart in not going all out with his attacks like he did in his own film when battling the frost giants because he's aware that there are still innocent civilians around the area. If he were to decimate the place like he did at the Frost Giants planets, he'd be putting people and potentially his human partners in harm's way.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #439
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Avengers is better

Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #440
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
People are already in the MOS threads talking about no one in TA has any powers besides super strength and using "tools".

That place...and the batboards is a well known hangout place for raging DC fanboys.

I'm a long time lurker, and one of my fav lurking place is the MOS board.Because...where else can you read about a bunch of dudes arguing about some other dude's underwear?

Anyways...i know that i would probably avoid those places after the Avengers came out. Some of them already decided that the movie gonna suck looong before it came out.So i'm not surprised they're trash talking the movie now

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #441
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
What exactly does Marvel stand to lose if J. Random Duder leaves before the stinger? Ten bucks says they don't give a rat's ass if you see it or not.
Relax buddy, nobody wants to plot against Marvel here. I just say I wasn't waiting for those scenes. I went to see the movie, did I not? And I'm intending to see it again. So, as you see, Marvel can sleep tight tonight because my evil plan to make them lose money is not going to work. In fact - just between you and me - there is no such plan.

As I see it, they don't lose money because I pay my ticket all the same and I don't ruin my experience with unnecessary post-credit scenes. This sounds like a win-win situation, who could complain against that?

Last edited by El Payaso; 05-03-2012 at 09:27 AM.
El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #442
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

So Hulk doesn't say Hulk Smash?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #443
thalidomide
The Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMaNiAx View Post
So Hulk doesn't say Hulk Smash?
Nope

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #444
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Hulk only says

"Puny God" after handing Loki his ass. They put a twist on "Hulk Smash" by having Cap order him to smash.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #445
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
Hulk only says

"Puny God" after handing Loki his ass. They put a twist on "Hulk Smash" by having Cap order him to smash.
Pure genius.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #446
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Relax buddy, nobody wants to plot against Marvel here. I just say I wasn't waiting for those scenes. I went to see the movie, did I not? And I'm intending to see it again. So, as you see, Marvel can sleep tight tonight because my evil plan to make them lose money is not going to work. In fact - just between you and me - there is no such plan.

As I see it, they don't lose money because I pay my ticket all the same and I don't ruin my experience with unnecessary post-credit scenes. This sounds like a win-win situation, who could complain against that?
I don't care if you see it ten times, or at all. I just think your 'if they want me to see it' comment is laughable and eyeroll worthy, like you feel they'll somehow be disappointed if great and mighty internet guy #5638 doesn't stay for the entire credits.

As usual, it's not so much what you post as how you post it that grates.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #447
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
I don't care if you see it ten times, or at all. I just think your 'if they want me to see it' comment is laughable and eyeroll worthy, like you feel they'll somehow be disappointed if great and mighty internet guy #5638 doesn't stay for the entire credits.

Whiskey, who's in your avy? Dave Magadan?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #448
weezerspider
Side-Kick

My review:

Its finally here! After teasing us with the idea of an Avengers film during the after credits scene of Iron Man in 2008, We can now watch the finished Avengers film. To put simply: It is well worth the wait. Very rarely does a film with such hype truly live up to the circus surrounding it. The Avengers is easily the best Marvel Cinema Universe(MCU) film, and after teasing it in all of the other MCU films, it should be. The SHIELD portions used in the solo films really help make the transition in to The Avengers film smooth and easy to digest, proving that Marvel knew what it was doing all along.

The person who deserves the most credit is the auteur of the film, Joss Whedon. Whedon balances the huge number of characters so flawlessly, you couldn’t pick one primary protagonist if you wanted to. Its not just the big four either(Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor). Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Loki all get plenty of screen time to make their presence known and make their fans happy. The whole cast is superb, but I must single out Mark Ruffalo who controversially replaced Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. Rest easy Norton fans, Ruffalo is the best Bruce and Hulk we’ve seen on screen. Whedon’s script is simple, yet creative and effective. The overall story, an alien army coming to conquer earth, is simple and rather cliché. What makes the film work is how instead of focusing on The Avengers fighting the aliens, it focuses on the creation of the team and the drama behind it. These people are super-heroes with super-egos. Seeing them clash verbally and physically is the best part of the film. The films themes are never aging, putting differences aside for the greater good. The overall story is very well executed, despite not being very deep or engaging.

Where The Avengers champions above many blockbusters is the great execution of the story as I mentioned, and balancing it with amazing action. And is there action, let me tell you. Everything you want to see in this film is in it. The action is extremely entertaining and very exciting, yet it never takes over the story. The balance of a great story and great action is what makes mega films like A New Hope, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, Jurassic Park and most recently, The Dark Knight, so great. The Avengers is very much in the same category as these films. We see Hulk Smash, Thor call on lightening, Cap throw his shield and Iron Man shooting lazers, but the story never takes a back seat to the action and that is where The Avengers is special.

The film has its flaws, however. Loki’s plan could have been a little less generic. The explanation for how he got the army is sufficient and simple, but may be a little too Saturday morning cartoonish. The defeat of the army is a bit underwhelming and the film still may move a little too fast. However, the film overcomes these flaws and is a blockbuster masterpiece like A New Hope or Raiders Of The Lost Ark. There are two after credit scenes. One is the typical Marvel after-credits teasing for future films. The other is, well, literally, a joke. Go see The Avengers. Wait until the credits end. Go see it again.

9.5/10

Old 05-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #449
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Whiskey, who's in your avy? Dave Magadan?
I think its Carter.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #450
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
You see, that thing of me thinking they'll be dissapointed just speaks volumes of your fertile imagination.

Quote:
Well, as long as it provokes such a grand imaginative effect I'll carry on.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote