The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #76
twylight
One And Only

Default Re: SuperHeroHype RPG.......LIVE!

And yet.. I still don't understand the ideas concerning advantages, abilities and powers.

I'm starting to feel a bit stupid and it's leading me to believe that THAC0 is the easiest thing in the world.

Wieg, I'll take you up on your offer. Just let me know when you've got time. (Tuesday afternoon/evening? I've got the gym tomorrow >.>)

twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #77
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Okay, to kind of explain things a bit. I'd like to get a Skype call going to talk everyone through it, but for now text will have to suffice. I actually had MB record our Skype call where we made his character, to serve as 'Episode Zero' for the podcast, but he hasn't sent the file to me yet.

Anyway....

M&M works on a point-buy system, where you spend 'Power Points' to add bonuses to your Abilities, Defenses, Skills, Advantages (they're the M&M equivalent of D&D Feats), Powers and/or Gadgets. You get 15 points per power level, so at PL10 you should have a total of 150 power points to spend.

Also note, characters don't 'level up' in Mutants and Masterminds. Your power level is where it is, and stays there. However, as the game progresses, you do get additional power points and Hero Points as you go, given at the GM's discretion.

Hero Points allow you to 'cheat' a little bit, allowing you to do stuff like re-try a bad roll, add just a little more punch to your attack, 'edit' the scene to find a missing clue or hint, etc. Those kind of 'cheats' are allowed at the GM's discretion, though. You can get Hero Points for winning a particularly hard fight, solving a difficult puzzle, pulling off just some really good role-playing, or really anything that I happen to think is cool. So that encourages you to be creative with your abilities and really get into who your character is and what he/she wants, rather than just grind at low-level enemies for the XP.

Abilities:

Your abilities are your standard physical and mental stats. Strength and Agility are pretty self-explanatory, Dexterity is basically your nimbleness used for stuff like sleight of hand or stealth, Fighting is your combat prowess, Stamina is your endurance or toughness, Awareness is your ability to detect things (combining Spot, Search, Listen, Sense Motive, etc) Intellect is your intelligence, and Presence is your ability to command or charm or intimidate (your charisma).

Ability scores cost 2 points per rank, and each rank adds +1 to your roll when making a check with that ability. The standard Ability score for an average adult is 0, so it's just your raw d20 roll when making an ability check. 3 ranks is considered 'gifted,' 7 is the peak of human potential, and anything higher than that is superhuman, maxing out at 20, which is cosmic/godlike. You can also lower them below zero, which gives you a -1 penalty for each negative rank you have (up to -5, which is considered disabled or incompetent), but gives you an additional 2 power points to spend elsewhere.

Defenses:

If your Abilities are how your character does things, then Defenses are how you keep things from being done to you. Each Defense initially has the same bonus as one base Ability bonus, but can be raised higher. Adding to your Defense bonuses costs 1 power point per rank.

Dodge- Based on Agility. The character's ability to avoid getting hit. A fast guy like Flash or an acrobatic character like Spider-Man would have a very high Dodge score.

Parry- Based on Fighting. The character's ability to deflect or block incoming attacks. A character like Wonder Woman, who blocks bullets with her bracelets, or a martial artist like Batman, would have a very high Parry.

Fortitude- Based on Stamina. The character's ability to withstand diseases, poisons, or other physical effects that aren't necessarily direct damage.

Toughness- Also based on Stamina. The character's ability to withstand physical damage. A character like Superman or the Hulk would have a very high Toughness, as they tend to just shrug off the hit rather than avoid it.

NOTE: In Mutants and Masterminds, damage is dealt via Toughness Saves rather than via Hit Points. If you are struck by an attack, you have to roll a Toughness save, greater than or equal to 15+ the attack's damage (so if the enemy has an attack with Damage 3, you have to roll an 18 or higher). If you succeed your Toughness save, you take no damage. If you fail by less than 5, you take 1 wound, lowering your Toughness by 1 until the end of combat. If you fail by 6 to 10, you take 2 wounds and are stunned for 1 round. If you fail by 11 to 15, you take 3 wounds, are stunned for 1 round, and are Staggered (meaning you can only move or take one standard action [attack or skill check, etc] per round, but not both) until the end of combat. If you fail by 16 or more, your character is knocked unconscious, or, if the enemy is dealing lethal damage, dying. So depending on how well you roll your Toughness, you can shrug off enemy attacks all day, or drop immediately from a lucky shot.

Will: Based on Awareness. Your character's ability to withstand mental effects, such as mind control, fear effects, etc.

Also note, there is a cap on your defenses, based on pairs of saves. The sum total of your Dodge and Toughness, your Parry and Toughness, and your Fortitude and Will, cannot exceed twice the campaign's power level. Since this is a PL10 game, those pairs cannot exceed 20.

Skills:

Your skills are specific bonuses that apply to carrying out certain tasks. These can range from using computers to riding a motorcycle to figuring out if someone is lying. There's a pretty big range of them, and each of them is tied to a base Ability Stat.

Rolling a Skill check is a d20+ the Ability Stat+ however many ranks you've put into that Skill+ Other modifiers from Powers, Advantages, etc. Skill ranks only cost 1 power point per 2 ranks, so spending 5 power points would give you 10 ranks. Like your defenses, they have a limit based on the campaign's power level: the total sum of any Skill bonus (Ability, Ranks, and any miscellaneous modifies) cannot exceed the campaign's power level +10, which since this game is PL10, means you can't have a total Skill bonus over 20.

Also note, some Skills are 'Untrained,' meaning you can make that particular Skill check even if you don't have ranks in it. A table of all of the different skills, which Ability they're tied to, and whether they're Untrained, can be found on page 63 in the Core Rulebook.

Advantages:

Advantages are basically perks that give your character a specific edge. They're not exactly powers, but they're special abilities, combat maneuvers, natural good looks, a knack for a certain talent, etc, that give you a leg up on the others. If you've ever played D&D, they're the equivalent of Feats. A non-powered character like Batman or the Question would have an awful lot of these.

Advantages cost 1 power point per Advantage rank. Some Advantages are 'Ranked,' meaning you can level it up multiple times. Advantages that are not ranked you can only buy once.

There are four types of Advantages:

Combat: Special attacks or bonuses that help you in a fight.
Fortune: Gives you more options on how to spend Hero Points.
Skill: Bolsters your Skill checks.
General: Any other stuff not covered in the first three categories.

The full list of Advantages, and a short description of what each does, can be found on pages 80 and 81 in the Core Rulebook.

Complications:

The opposite of Advantages, Complications are drawbacks that make your character's life a little more difficult. These can be things like having severe personality flaws, a bad reputation in the press, the difficulties of keeping up a secret identity (dealing with your job, your girlfriend, whatever), an arch-enemy who's out to get you, etc. You must have at least two Complications, but if you want, you can have as many as you want.

You don't get any kind of bonus for taking lots of Complications, since that would encourage min-maxing, but they do lend themselves to more active role-playing, and struggling to overcome them is a great way to earn more Hero Points in the eyes of the GM.

Powers/Devices:

These are, of course, what makes superheroes super. Your powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, or the cool swag you've got stashed in your cave.

Powers:

Powers have all sorts of different effects, depending on what powers you choose. And each power has a different cost, depending on what they are.

The full list of Powers can be found in pages 94 and 95 of the Core Rulebook. The list doesn't contain descriptions of the Powers, however, so you'll have to look them up specifically to see what each one does.

Some Powers listed in the book are generic, and cover lots of different possible specific things. For instance, Superman's Heat-Vision, Iceman's freeze rays, and Starfire's Starbolts would all be covered under the 'Blast' Power. Other things, like Wolverine's claws, Hellboy's big right hand, or just a straight up super-strength-focused punch from Wonder Woman, would all be covered under the 'Strike' Power. Multiple instances of the same generic Power (say, Superman's Heat Vision and Freeze Breath) are ranked separately from each other. So if you take those kinds of powers, make sure to be specific about what exactly that instance of the Power is.

Powers can also be modified, given either Extras or Flaws. Extras (the list found on page 137) give that Power an extra punch, or different features to set it apart from the base Power, but also make the Power more expensive. Flaws, on the other hand, (list on page 147) give that Power certain drawbacks, such as control issues or weaknesses to certain targets, but also make the Power less expensive.

The combined cost for Powers looks like an algebra equation, but I promise it's not that complicated when you break it down.

Cost= ((B+E-F)xR)+F

B= Base Power Effect Cost
E= Extras
F= Flaws
R= Rank
F= Flat Modifiers

Also note, if you have offense-based powers: the combined total of your base Attack bonus and the Effect rank of your Power cannot exceed twice the campaign's power level (so, 20 for this game) If you have an effect that allows a resistance check, but does not have an attack bonus (say, Mind Control or Dazzle), then the Effect rank cannot exceed the campaign's power level (10).

Powers scale pretty dramatically by rank. To get a good idea of how much your character can affect with a certain Power, check the Measurements Table on page 11 of the Core Rulebook. Pages 10-12 will also give you some formulae on how to apply the Measurements Table to gauge things like how fast your character can go, how far he/she can throw certain objects, etc. You don't have to do that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Devices:

Devices are items that give you the same effects as Powers. They can be weapons, vehicles, armor suits, magical items, and character-specific headquarters. So Captain America's shield, Iron Man's suit, and Thor's hammer would all be considered Devices, as would the Batmobile, the Utility Belt, and even the Batcave itself.

It should be noted that stuff that cannot be removed without surgery, like cybernetic implants or Wolverine's Adamantium claws and skeleton, even though they're technologically based, would technically count as Powers, since it's a part of the character himself/herself and not something that can be taken away.

In general, the basic way to look at a Device would be to consider it a Power, but with the 'Removable' Flaw added to it, since you can't use it if you don't have it.

There are also specific rules for inventing new Devices as you go, found on pages 159-160 in the Core Rulebook.

The exact cost of Devices, like Powers, depends on the kind of Device you want, what Effects it has, and whether it has any specific Extras and/or Flaws. Like the Powers chapter, Devices can't really be glossed over, so you'll have to look up specifically what you're looking for (or ask me).

Okay, hopefully, that helped clarify things a little bit. Again, if you have questions, please ask me-- if I'm not helping you understand how the game works, then I'm not doing my job. If I'm not online, PM me and I'll answer them as soon as I can. I'm usually available every evening on Skype if you want to call and talk through the process, too.

Last edited by Andy C.; 04-30-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #78
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Ah, so you are going off of a pre-existing continuity then, I've not yet caught you on MSN, if you still go on there. I guess if we keep our games in the same continuity of each other, I'll choose a different city. Either way, guess I've got some research to do.
The Atomic Think-Tank is the official Mutants and Masterminds forum, and has a ton of material to use. Unfortunately a lot of the source material does cost money, but it's well worth the cost IMO. And the people on the forums are extremely helpful, and far more knowledgeable than I am.

Right now the vast majority of material is from 2e, but the site does have a how-to guide for converting 2e to 3e, if you don't mind a little elbow grease.

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #79
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post
Is there a time when we could set up a Skype call to go through HOW to make a character?

I read through the M&M book but it's not making a lot of sense to me.
Same here.

EDIT: Ah, my computer wasn't showing the latest page to this thread. *continues reading*

Last edited by Spike_x1; 04-30-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Spike_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #80
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I'm helping twy through her character sheet from a copy of the blank one I have online (I'm going to keep pimping that out, dammit!). It makes a lot more sense doing it that way.

If anyone else wants some help, I'll be around tonight. I won't be able to skype, but twy and I are just doing things over messenger and it's going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #81
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Andy c. welcomed me to the team so...looking forward to a lot of fun.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #82
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Okay, I've got the file from my Skype session with MB. It's roughly 100 minutes long, so I'm gonna see what I can do about trimming it down a bit before uploading it. I know there's a lot of dead air that I can cut out, so hopefully that'll get it down to a manageable length.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #83
unstoppable
Side-Kick

I run an MnM game myself where I live and to see it finally hit the Hype warms my heart.

Member of the Panettiere Patrol
First Lieutenant of the NHO Resistance
<PM me for info>

"As long as you care you can't acheive greatness"
"You don't even know the nothing you can't do"
8-26-07

Last edited by unstoppable; 05-01-2012 at 10:06 AM.
unstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #84
twylight
One And Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I'm helping twy through her character sheet from a copy of the blank one I have online (I'm going to keep pimping that out, dammit!). It makes a lot more sense doing it that way.

If anyone else wants some help, I'll be around tonight. I won't be able to skype, but twy and I are just doing things over messenger and it's going well.

Hopefully we'll finish tonight! So far I'm super happy with my little glass cannon.

Andy, I may need to ask you a few questions about powers and stuff. Is it easier to reach on Hype via PM, FB or MSN?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #85
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Probably PM or Facebook, since I can't really say what times I'm available on MSN at the moment. Overnight is playing hell on my sleep schedule, so sometimes I'll be able to go to sleep right after work and wake up around 2PM (CST), and other times I'll be up another 5 hours and end up sleeping til 6 in the evening.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #86
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

I miss graveyard shifts.

Quote:
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #87
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

I'm gonna put a deadline on this baby, just so we can all quit stalling (I've been putting off my end of running the game, so I'm just as guilty as y'all). Is everyone cool with having our first session next Saturday?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #88
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

The 12th? That's fine with me. Like I said before, and as you an see if you look, literally any time is good with me.

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #89
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The 12th works for me. Anytime after 6:30pm EST for the first two weeks then ANYTIME on Saturday because I will be off of Saturdays for the summer.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #90
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

I, too, am fine with the 12th.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #91
twylight
One And Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
I'm gonna put a deadline on this baby, just so we can all quit stalling (I've been putting off my end of running the game, so I'm just as guilty as y'all). Is everyone cool with having our first session next Saturday?
Perfectly fine for me!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #92
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

I'm gonna go ahead and relinquish my spot. I'm just not having nearly as much free time to commit to this as I thought that I would.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #93
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Well, Bl, SF, and Shlee have to fight to the death for that spot now.

Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #94
SuperFerret
Hype Elitist

I can make a character real fast. REAL fast.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #95
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

By make...you mean pull one out of one of the drawers filled with character sheets?

Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #96
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Well, Bl, SF, and Shlee have to fight to the death for that spot now.
Cue the music!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Below The Bible Belt
Southern Hospitality - Delivered Monthly
Byrd Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #97
SuperFerret
Hype Elitist

Quote:
By make...you mean pull one out of one of the drawers filled with character sheets?
Heh, I don't keep them on file, but I've made a ton of characters for this game.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #98
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Cue the music!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
*grabs popcorn*

Quote:
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #99
SuperFerret
Hype Elitist

Eh, it's late now and I need to work tomorrow, so it looks like my character will have to wait until tomorrow night.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #100
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

There is only one acceptable solution to the conundrum of who gets to fill the open spot:

An old-school dance-off. I'll be awarding points for style, execution, originality, and attitude. Whoever can most thoroughly serve the others gets in on the game.