The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 05-05-2012, 03:23 AM   #526
AnorexicBatman
Side-Kick

Default Re: No Shared Universe for DC Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I've already said this like 5 times. But the Avengers worked partially because they managed to make the individual films work.

Thus far... we have one franchise. And possibly Superman, though Returns failed to spawn a franchise. Maybe the new one will work.

It's not even about making several movies and putting those characters into a big crossover film like Avengers. Though that is one reason the Avengers has done so well.

First DC has to figure out how to make the characters work in live action. Work to the point that they are commercially successful.
How very true.
I bet MARVEL is laughing all the way to bank having established a huge movie-verse and more incoming while DC is still trying to put the square shape in the round hole.

Raditz had triggered a memory that Vegeta wished never existed. He grabbed Raditz by his neck, lifted him up a good few feet off the ground and slammed his body into the large metallic wall behind them, paying no heed to his cries of mercy and slowly tightening his grip, “DON’T YOU EVER! REMIND ME OF THAT AGAIN!!”
AnorexicBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #527
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

You don't have to go through all the trouble of pre-establishing movies. The Avengers works just fine without seeing any of the previous films, and every main character gets fleshed out. It can be done, you just have to get the right director and writer to pull it off.

And it doesn't have to be a JL film. Revive the World's Finest project, lure Bale back to do a World's Finest film (regardless what fate his Bruce encounters in TDKR). And exercise Cavill's sequel clause in his contract to have him return as Superman. Then get the right director for the job.

WB can fast-track something like that, especially since they already have a couple of drafts of the failed Batman vs. Superman project.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #528
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
You don't have to go through all the trouble of pre-establishing movies. The Avengers works just fine without seeing any of the previous films, and every main character gets fleshed out. It can be done, you just have to get the right director and writer to pull it off.

And it doesn't have to be a JL film. Revive the World's Finest project, lure Bale back to do a World's Finest film (regardless what fate his Bruce encounters in TDKR). And exercise Cavill's sequel clause in his contract to have him return as Superman. Then get the right director for the job.

WB can fast-track something like that, especially since they already have a couple of drafts of the failed Batman vs. Superman project.
Fast tracking a team film at this point is not wise IMO.

However, maybe JL is a mountain too high to climb and they should go for a two character team-up.

Don't know anything about Cavill's contract. They have been suspiciously moot on that.

Bale is very unlikely to return.

So you could have all new actors in the lead roles and that adds another difficulty to doing such a film.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #529
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm not sure why people assume WB would "rush" to compete with Marvel. I think they'll see the potential of a JLA film now (not that they didn't before), but I don't neccessarily think they'll rush it.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #530
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I think you *might* be able to fast track JLA by means of World's Finest. MoS comes out, its good. Then, a year or two later, World's Finest, used as a vehicle to introduce the rebooted Batman and establish the ground rules of a joint setting. Then, another year or so later, JLA, with Superman and Batman as the core.

It wouldn't be easy, though, and it first depends in part on how compatible MoS is with a joint setting ( and on it being good, period ).

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #531
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yeah, I still don't think Avengers is some shining example of why you should have a shared universe.

That isn't what made Avengers great, and that isn't what was really hard in executing from a directorial or writing point of view.

What really mattered with Avengers was its ability to properly share screen time around an ensamble cast and successfully structure a plot that ties into all of the various characters in the movie.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #532
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I think you *might* be able to fast track JLA by means of World's Finest. MoS comes out, its good. Then, a year or two later, World's Finest, used as a vehicle to introduce the rebooted Batman and establish the ground rules of a joint setting. Then, another year or so later, JLA, with Superman and Batman as the core.

It wouldn't be easy, though, and it first depends in part on how compatible MoS is with a joint setting ( and on it being good, period ).
I think WB needes to decide first what it wants to do with its DC properties.

A mega-film every year costing 200 million to make?

Or a film every year, but focusing more on less expensive characters like Lobo. That seems to be their 2014 plan.

Or maybe de-ephasize DC properties in the sense WB does not write in stone it has to produe a DC film every year, year-in and year-out.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #533
AvengeME
Banned User

Interesting point that was brought to my attention. Some guys hanging around for the after credit scenes were like, "This is New York, where was Spiderman?" Obviously we know the deal, but the general masses don't. Did it take something away not having Marvel's featured guy in that circle? Maybe a little, but not really.

So if Spiderman was available, where the hell was he? Well we know he is based in New York. His solo adventures are almost exclusively concentrated there. His villains? I wouldn't say incredibly over the top. Some crazy scientists and experiments gone awry. Nothing we haven't seen before in CBM's. His villains aren't aliens are external threats. They are every day based threats based in the comic book world. Doesn't sound much different than Batman doing his thing in Gotham against psychotic villains.

So what happens when we get a more global threat? Why can't Spiderman and Batman branch of and lend the services to a team of heroes? I don't see a problem with that. Even in Nolan's world, I don't think it pushes it. So Batman definitely works. Much like Captain America, he isn't going to be taking on Thanos or Darkseid directly. But he definitely can serve a purpose.

Depending on MOS, I think the next step is definitely World's Finest in 2015. WB needs to secure a date so that Marvel doesn't run upshot at the box office with Avengers 2. A Batman reboot can not overpower a late summer slot. It will suffer the same fate as TIH or ASM IMO, although mitigated by a stellar previous trilogy. People have already penciled in Downey Jr. for two more Avengers movies so I don't think Bale would shoot it down if Nolan co-produced and they had a stellar script. If MOS fails, send Snyder packing and pencil in Batman 4.

Last edited by AvengeME; 05-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
AvengeME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #534
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

@ avengeME, I think it goes without saying that if marvel owned spidey, he would have been in this film.

@ mclay18, exactly. hasn't there been talk about the writing for MOS 2 already? well, there you go. that's your chance. you get your big dog in bats back, you get nolan to over see it, snyder to direct it.

ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #535
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
@ avengeME, I think it goes without saying that if marvel owned spidey, he would have been in this film.

@ mclay18, exactly. hasn't there been talk about the writing for MOS 2 already? well, there you go. that's your chance. you get your big dog in bats back, you get nolan to over see it, snyder to direct it.
That MOS2 story was shot down a while ago as I recall. It was reported on one of those not accurate sites. I don't think anything is being done there pending the "situation".

Old 05-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #536
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I think WB needes to decide first what it wants to do with its DC properties.

A mega-film every year costing 200 million to make?

Or a film every year, but focusing more on less expensive characters like Lobo. That seems to be their 2014 plan.

Or maybe de-ephasize DC properties in the sense WB does not write in stone it has to produe a DC film every year, year-in and year-out.
With everything WB/DC has done in the past, say, 10 years, you still think they have a plan beyond Batman and Superman? That is pretty inspiring blind optimism. I salute you!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #537
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
That MOS2 story was shot down a while ago as I recall. It was reported on one of those not accurate sites. I don't think anything is being done there pending the "situation".
ah i see. that's got to be one of the biggest reasons holding it up the jl up at the moment.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #538
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
ah i see. that's got to be one of the biggest reasons holding it up the jl up at the moment.
I'm not sure that is the reason. Superman doesn't have to be in JL. Just like some in the audience asked why Spiderman wasn't in TA it sure didn't hurthe uber success of TA.

I meant nothing is being planned for anything after MOS because of the "issue".

Old 05-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #539
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
I'm not sure that is the reason. Superman doesn't have to be in JL. Just like some in the audience asked why Spiderman wasn't in TA it sure didn't hurthe uber success of TA.

in the comic superman isn't a justice league founder (vol.1)
also it's a nice coincidence that loki is the villian for avengers because he is the villian in avengers #1

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #540
Tobias
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=spider-neil;23162335]in the comic superman isn't a justice league founder (vol.1)/QUOTE]

Exactly. Superman doesn't need to be in the JL film.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #541
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
in the comic superman isn't a justice league founder (vol.1)
Yes he is.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #542
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:

i know what the issue is, but spider-man isn't to the avengers what superman is to the JL.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:48 AM   #543
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Just do a damn JL movie and be done with it.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #544
Juan1193
Side-Kick

I have given up on DC/WB and Marvel now has my full on support! I dont trust WB/DC nor do I believe anything they say because they have been saying the same thing for years! DC you lost already, sorry but the truth hurts.

Juan1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #545
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
If it was that simple, they would do it.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #546
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengeME View Post
Interesting point that was brought to my attention. Some guys hanging around for the after credit scenes were like, "This is New York, where was Spiderman?" Obviously we know the deal, but the general masses don't. Did it take something away not having Marvel's featured guy in that circle? Maybe a little, but not really.

So if Spiderman was available, where the hell was he? Well we know he is based in New York. His solo adventures are almost exclusively concentrated there. His villains? I wouldn't say incredibly over the top. Some crazy scientists and experiments gone awry. Nothing we haven't seen before in CBM's. His villains aren't aliens are external threats. They are every day based threats based in the comic book world. Doesn't sound much different than Batman doing his thing in Gotham against psychotic villains.

So what happens when we get a more global threat? Why can't Spiderman and Batman branch of and lend the services to a team of heroes? I don't see a problem with that. Even in Nolan's world, I don't think it pushes it. So Batman definitely works. Much like Captain America, he isn't going to be taking on Thanos or Darkseid directly. But he definitely can serve a purpose.

Depending on MOS, I think the next step is definitely World's Finest in 2015. WB needs to secure a date so that Marvel doesn't run upshot at the box office with Avengers 2. A Batman reboot can not overpower a late summer slot. It will suffer the same fate as TIH or ASM IMO, although mitigated by a stellar previous trilogy. People have already penciled in Downey Jr. for two more Avengers movies so I don't think Bale would shoot it down if Nolan co-produced and they had a stellar script. If MOS fails, send Snyder packing and pencil in Batman 4.
Where were the Fantastic Four? Where were the X-Men? Where was Daredevil? That's the problem with Marvel. Everyone and their brother lives in New York. Hell, most of them live in Manhattan.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #547
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Yes he is.
you're right.
I was going by the cover (brave and the bold #28) superman isn't on the cover (and neither is batman).

Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #548
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
If it was that simple, they would do it.

it is that simple. WB own all the rights to all the DC characters so it's not like marvel where they can't bring the xmen and the FF together or have a spidey and daredevil team up because marvel don't own the rights.

if WB wanted to make a JL movie there is nothing to stop and you can bet if they'd made JL instead of the disgraceful green lantern they would better off at the box office.

Last edited by spider-neil; 05-06-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #549
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'm with this guy.

:o
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #550
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Thus far... we have one franchise. And possibly Superman, though Returns failed to spawn a franchise. Maybe the new one will work.

First DC has to figure out how to make the characters work in live action. Work to the point that they are commercially successful.
So what if Superman Returns was not vey successful, so were Ang lee's HULK and then Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk, still we got Hulk in The Avengers.

Similarly, we already have Superman (from SR), Green Lantern, and Batman, they could just add a Black Canary and make a Justice League movie.

I say that forget about Wonder Woman and Flash, they can be in the next sequel to JL after they get individual solo movies.

Make a JUSTICE LEAGUE movie with

Routh / Cavill as Superman.

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern.

Some new actor as Batman.

Some actress as Black Canary.

Mission accomplished.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote