The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #101
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Default Re: Easter eggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
That's kinda disappointing to hear, but I guess it doesn't make or break a film. Personally I don't think it really affects the movie that much since only the fans are going to get the wink and nudge.
Somebody around here has a quote from Whedon in their sig that says something along the lines of "There are two things I hate in comic movies: being ignored and being pandered to." That's how I feel about easter eggs.

Odin's ravens, assuming that was intentional, is a great example. It's truly unobtrusive, and you can only appreciate it if you're a super-fan. Stuff like "I'll call my friend Mr. Pym, he knows a gamma scientist named Banner" clunky and in the way, in my opinion.

TomPiltoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #102
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Was the bald SHIELD agent with glasses that was doing monitor duty earlier in the movie, giving Fury reports, Bendis?
He was the same analyst from Thor and in the Marvel One Shot short

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #103
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Was the bald SHIELD agent with glasses that was doing monitor duty earlier in the movie, giving Fury reports, Bendis?

That's Jasper Sitwell. He's an actual comics character(supporting only).

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #104
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPiltoff View Post
Somebody around here has a quote from Whedon in their sig that says something along the lines of "There are two things I hate in comic movies: being ignored and being pandered to." That's how I feel about easter eggs.

Odin's ravens, assuming that was intentional, is a great example. It's truly unobtrusive, and you can only appreciate it if you're a super-fan. Stuff like "I'll call my friend Mr. Pym, he knows a gamma scientist named Banner" clunky and in the way, in my opinion.
Totally agreed. I think the Ravens was my favourite little reference. It's literally blink and you'll miss it. But if you caught it, it's like "That's... brilliant".

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #105
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

I saw the birds, knew they represented something, but I don't know what? Thor n00b.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #106
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I saw the birds, knew they represented something, but I don't know what? Thor n00b.
They are basically Odin's eyes and ears in the other realms. Did you notice them perched on his throne in Thor?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #107
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Don't feel bad about it, I had no idea they represented anything til somebody here mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
They are basically Odin's eyes and ears in the other realms. Did you notice them perched on his throne in Thor?
Whoa, no, I didn't. That's even cooler.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #108
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Quote:
Sure didn't.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #109
The Morningstar
Banned User

They are hard to spot in the movie itself. But there was a still where you see them clearly up there.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #110
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
That's Jasper Sitwell. He's an actual comics character(supporting only).
OH wow, didn't know that.

That definitely explains why he received special treatment in Thor. Not surprised by that.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #111
HandofDoom
Side-Kick

The Chiutari general constantly makes references to 'Him' and after seeing the mid-credit sequence, its clear that the discussions between him and Loki take place at the base of Thanos's throne.

HandofDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #112
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofDoom View Post
The Chiutari general constantly makes references to 'Him' and after seeing the mid-credit sequence, its clear that the discussions between him and Loki take place at the base of Thanos's throne.
Yea, did anyone else notice that part where they are talking the camera ominously lingers on what appears to be some stairs, presumably leading up to his throne? Thought that was a nice little touch too.

Even though non comic fans don't know Thanos, I though the film did well to build his threat in an unobtrusive way. You can tell that "he" whoever he is, is a bad ass mudda without even seeing him.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #113
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Yea, did anyone else notice that part where they are talking the camera ominously lingers on what appears to be some stairs? Thought that was a nice little touch too.
I didn't notice that, but while we're talking about that scene - I absolutely loved that shot of Loki with the moon and stars in the background.

That was probably the first point in the movie that I just couldn't believe that movie studios (or at least, a movie studio) had finally just taken exactly what was in the comics and translated it to screen.

To see Loki there, being played by a great actor, and to see that helmet from the comics, having a conversation in the outer reaches of space via the frickin cosmic cube....just amazing.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #114
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I thought it was interesting that Selvig frequently referred to the Tesseract as a 'she.' Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't one of the Cubes evolve into a female lifeform? Maybe I am reading too much into it, but fluff is rare in MCU films.

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #115
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
I didn't notice that, but while we're talking about that scene - I absolutely loved that shot of Loki with the moon and stars in the background.

That was probably the first point in the movie that I just couldn't believe that movie studios (or at least, a movie studio) had finally just taken exactly what was in the comics and translated it to screen.

To see Loki there, being played by a great actor, and to see that helmet from the comics, having a conversation in the outer reaches of space via the frickin cosmic cube....just amazing.
Yea, it was just perfect. Before i saw the movie i saw some people complain about the space scenes, saying they were cheesy. It got me worried.

But when i saw it i thought i was just so beautiful. Like you say, it's something that is just ripped straight from a comic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
I thought it was interesting that Selvig frequently referred to the Tesseract as a 'she.' Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't one of the Cubes evolve into a female lifeform? Maybe I am reading too much into it, but fluff is rare in MCU films.
Yea one of them did. Can't recall if it was a female though. But it was hinted that the cube might be sentient, the way Loki was asking Selvig and Barton "What did it tell you"

Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #116
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So no one else noticed the Ravens when Loki and Thor were arguing on the mountain? Odin keeping an eye on them?
Yeah....spider-neil did on the first page -

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
when thor lands on that rock with loki (after thor nicks loki off the quinjet) there are two ravens. hugin and munin? odin's ravens?

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #117
The Morningstar
Banned User

Ahhh cool. Knew i couldn't be the only one.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #118
lespaul59
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majmun View Post
What's this about the Life Model Decoy?
I knew I should know this when I heard it but still can't place it.

lespaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #119
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul59 View Post
I knew I should know this when I heard it but still can't place it.
Life Model Decoys are robots used by SHIELD that look just like different agents or people they need to divert attention from. If you watch the David Hasselhoff TV movie NICK FURY you will see them used as an important plot twist.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #120
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Life Model Decoys are robots used by SHIELD that look just like different agents or people they need to divert attention from. If you watch the David Hasselhoff TV movie NICK FURY you will see them used as an important plot twist.
Which of course leaves the door open for Phil to still be alive!!

Hey, we can hope, right?

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #121
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

It was a great scene, yeah, but in all fairness, Zack Snyder has been taking exactly what's in the comics and translating it directly word-for-word, frame-for-frame to the screen for years now.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #122
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Official Easter Egg/Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
It kinda makes sense that the big daddy film wouldn't go heavy on the easter eggs like the others, but the stuff that made it were fun.
There's a *lot* of easter eggs.

Project Pegasus
Georgi Luchkov
Sen. Boynton
Shawna Lynde
Odin's ravens, Huginn and Muninn. (Probably Odin's way of watching over Thor.)
mentions of a "Phase II" project probably reference Kevin Feige's outline for "Phase II" of the MCU.
The "A" on the wrecked Stark Tower, signifying Avengers Mansion/Tower
Stark's Life Model Decoy joke
Coulson's 1940s trading cards
Jasper Sitwell in the background on the Helicarrier; from the Marvel one-shot short films as well as the comic books
Thanos, of course.

callbacks to the prequel films:

Banner "broke Harlem"
Banner's reference to trying to commit suicide, but having "The Other Guy" spit the bullet back out probably references a famous deleted scene from TIH

Flashbacks from CATFA

Coulson tells Thor that SHIELD is protecting Jane Foster at an observatory in Tromso, Norway. (Incidentally, that's a real-life base for HAARP activity, specifically the EISCAT relay. I'm willing to bet we'll see that site featured prominently in Thor 2.)

Coulson's big gun was made from scraps of the Destroyer armor.

Once I re-watch the film, I'm gonna be checking in particular for easter eggs during the Stuttgart chapter. Might be some stuff in the museum, but in particular, I'd like to check out Loki and Selvig's lab. I'd also like to find out the identity of the *other* SHIELD agent that Loki mind-skagged --- big tall blonde guy with dark glasses. I've got a theory that he's supposed to be Quartermain.

Also: some people have reported the "64" on the Helicarrier as an homage to Avengers' first year of publication.....sorry, but that was *1963.*

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #123
TomPiltoff
you are all diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It was a great scene, yeah, but in all fairness, Zack Snyder has been taking exactly what's in the comics and translating it directly word-for-word, frame-for-frame to the screen for years now.
Yeah but Whedon is talented.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #124
3 Dev Adam
I AM THE GREEN VENOM!

Default Re: Official Easter Egg/Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToilesHeroiques View Post
The Avengers is the first Marvel Studios movie without easter egg.
Erm, no.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #125
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Can some one tell me who the older man is that gives Bruce Banner some clothes after he crashed through the roof of the old building? He got alot of cheers and I was lost as to who it was.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote