The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

View Poll Results: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel?
Ultron 77 33.92%
Kang the Conqueror 15 6.61%
The Masters of Evil 30 13.22%
Thanos 88 38.77%
Count Nefaria 1 0.44%
Korvac 2 0.88%
Graviton 4 1.76%
Grim Reaper 0 0%
Grandmaster 1 0.44%
Other 9 3.96%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #101
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The original Joe Cornish script was set in the 60s *and* the modern world, though --- with Pym being the "original" Ant-Man of the 60s, but the bulk of the movie was to focus on him mentoring Scott Lang as his successor in modern times.

But all of that was with the first draft, years ago, and there's been tons of re-writes since then; the current version was just turned in to Marvel last fall, and nobody knows what (or who) it's going to be about. I'd be willing to bet that Marvel has convinced Wright/Cornish to focus on Pym, though, and drop the whole 1960s backstory angle.
Yeah I remember hearing about it years ago but it's gets brought up around here like it happened yesterday, plus I've never been a fan of Lang so there's another reason why I hope the actual film ends up significantly different.

However I do think Edgar Wright is a director capable of doing Ant Man justice, it's just his initial 1960s, "Scott Lang prepping" vision that I'm not too keen on seeing come to fruition.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #102
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah I remember hearing about it years ago but it's gets brought up around here like it happened yesterday, plus I've never been a fan of Lang so there's another reason why I hope the actual film ends up significantly different.

However I do think Edgar Wright is a director capable of doing Ant Man justice, it's just his initial 1960s, "Scott Lang prepping" vision that I'm not too keen on seeing come to fruition.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that approach, either. Especially if it sidelines Hank and keeps him out of the Avengers.

Still, it might make for a fresh approach if they had a 60-something superhero on the team, and had one of our all-time great actors (fill in the blank, I'm not making any particular suggestion here) playing the role. And I've heard more than a few people on these forums wanting to see the May-December romance for Hank and Janet; if you make Janet in her 20s or 30s, that would *definitely* be May-December. Creepy May-December, even.

Eh. Don't know that I'd want to see any of that, but it *definitely* would be unique to the genre.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #103
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that approach, either. Especially if it sidelines Hank and keeps him out of the Avengers.

Still, it might make for a fresh approach if they had a 60-something superhero on the team, and had one of our all-time great actors (fill in the blank, I'm not making any particular suggestion here) playing the role. And I've heard more than a few people on these forums wanting to see the May-December romance for Hank and Janet; if you make Janet in her 20s or 30s, that would *definitely* be May-December. Creepy May-December, even.

Eh. Don't know that I'd want to see any of that, but it *definitely* would be unique to the genre.
I wouldn't be too opposed to an older Pym but 60-something is pushing it. I'd be ok with a Kinnear type for Hank.

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #104
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
No, tying Pym to Kang to get him into the present day and Avengers.
Oh, I didn't know you was talking about Pym, I was just talking about Kang in general.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #105
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
The original Joe Cornish script was set in the 60s *and* the modern world, though --- with Pym being the "original" Ant-Man of the 60s, but the bulk of the movie was to focus on him mentoring Scott Lang as his successor in modern times.

But all of that was with the first draft, years ago, and there's been tons of re-writes since then; the current version was just turned in to Marvel last fall, and nobody knows what (or who) it's going to be about. I'd be willing to bet that Marvel has convinced Wright/Cornish to focus on Pym, though, and drop the whole 1960s backstory angle.
Yeah, I got the impression that it was like the Mask of Zorro, with Anthony Hopkins passing on the Zorro baton to his successor, Antonio Banderas. I don't want to really see that here, to be honest. I don't think Lang really adds anything except for being a distraction.

A story focusing on Pym and Jan would be much more interesting. I would say only bring in Scott Lang if they wanted to later do a sequel but didn't want to continue with Pym (although that could end up like Highlander IV).

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #106
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I wouldn't be too opposed to an older Pym but 60-something is pushing it. I'd be ok with a Kinnear type for Hank.
Yeah I'd like for Hank to be somewhere between 35 and 45 years old, with Jane being about 10 years younger than him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah, I got the impression that it was like the Mask of Zorro, with Anthony Hopkins passing on the Zorro baton to his successor, Antonio Banderas. I don't want to really see that here, to be honest. I don't think Lang really adds anything except for being a distraction.

A story focusing on Pym and Jan would be much more interesting. I would say only bring in Scott Lang if they wanted to later do a sequel but didn't want to continue with Pym (although that could end up like Highlander IV).
Agreed

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #107
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
It keeps getting brought up because they keep saying it over and over again year after year, every time the question is asked. Pym isn't intended, and probably not able, to appear in the Avengers. Fans may not like it, but that's the situation.

I think an older Hank Pym could be pretty cool, and again, fresh, and would further set him apart from other techies, biologists, bruisers and infiltrators on the team. Jan would be in Pym's movie, so they'd be about the same age, so none of that May- December stuff, I don't think.

On the topic, I think I'd like to see Ultron as the villain in part 2 now. I think, even if he's set in the 60s, Pym can still invent Ultron, and all that good stuff. I like that more and more.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #108
nikos52
Newbie First Class

i think ultron is a great idea...because it's still a "smaller" and more "painfull" movie, because you get to see the Pym's and it focuses more on relationships between the characters. They can still have a kick-ass battle with Ultron, but it wil be in a much smaller scale and more personnal...i think that would make a perfect second movie in a trilogy.

nikos52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #109
ZenTheAvenger
Side-Kick

I'd have Ultron in Avengers 2 with more references to Thanos in that film as well as in Thor 2 possibly?

Then Thanos in Avengers 3.

ZenTheAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #110
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos52 View Post
i think ultron is a great idea...because it's still a "smaller" and more "painfull" movie, because you get to see the Pym's and it focuses more on relationships between the characters. They can still have a kick-ass battle with Ultron, but it wil be in a much smaller scale and more personnal...i think that would make a perfect second movie in a trilogy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenTheAvenger View Post
I'd have Ultron in Avengers 2 with more references to Thanos in that film as well as in Thor 2 possibly?

Then Thanos in Avengers 3.
I agree with both of you

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #111
ZenTheAvenger
Side-Kick

Apparently there is an interview out there with Fiege where he says Civil War is a real possibility for The Avengers 3?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #112
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

That'd be weird, considering that Hulk and Thor were absent in that storyline.
Hmmm interesting..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #113
ZenTheAvenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
That'd be weird, considering that Hulk and Thor were absent in that storyline.
Hmmm interesting..
I'm no expert but I don't see how Civil War would work well in a film?

Surely we would need 10-15 superheroes to give it some depth and there is no way a film could be made giving them all depth and the story real focus.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #114
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Yeah, you'd really need to drastically change the movie universe so that a large population of superheroes are part of everyday society, which of course probably wouldn't work.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #115
ZenTheAvenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah, you'd really need to drastically change the movie universe so that a large population of superheroes are part of everyday society, which of course probably wouldn't work.
I don't think they should go the Civil War route.

Ultron followed by Thanos seems a nice, organic way of evolving the movies.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #116
Dark Carnage
Leo Zeppelin

What if Thanos briefly shows up, takes an Infinity Gem that was on Earth, continued on his way and then Ultron is born from the need to have a more immediate response unit if the Avengers take too long to assemble?

Thor in Asgard, Hulk in the middle of nowhere. Even if Iron Man got to Thanos in a matter of minutes, he'd be taken down in humiliating fashion. So, he could talk to Pym about developing a collection of Iron Man-eque robots he could lead until the other Avengers arrive.

George Carlin is dead, and still better than you.

A forgotten foe has returned. - Spider-Man: Unacceptable
Dark Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #117
ZenTheAvenger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Carnage View Post
What if Thanos briefly shows up, takes an Infinity Gem that was on Earth, continued on his way and then Ultron is born from the need to have a more immediate response unit if the Avengers take too long to assemble?

Thor in Asgard, Hulk in the middle of nowhere. Even if Iron Man got to Thanos in a matter of minutes, he'd be taken down in humiliating fashion. So, he could talk to Pym about developing a collection of Iron Man-eque robots he could lead until the other Avengers arrive.
That is a pretty good idea!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #118
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

For now, I'll choose THANOS!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #119
Kishiro

Kang plus Ultron for the second one. With a traveling to the future to visit the Ultron and Kang´s war.

Kishiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #120
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

I'm not real knowledable on the avengers,just the basics but I guessing we will see more of the Shield council in the sequel. I don't know if they where in the comics but at the end of the movie I don't think they where too happy with Fury's decision making. I would love to see Vision make his debut in a sequel within some form,more of thanos as well.
Possibly red hulk as a villian? Laughable?
Not sure where the argument started,but I as well was pretty sure it was Thanos who was lending an army to Loki as well. In the beginning that creature which was talking,was talking to someone. stating, "The world his" and something like "the universe yours."
and then midcredits the same creature was talking to the same being,stating the humans cannot be ruled because they are unruly. Maybe i'm completely off target here but I was under the same impression as well.

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #121
Venom 1988
formerly Ultimate_Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancimouspitt View Post
I'm not real knowledable on the avengers,just the basics but I guessing we will see more of the Shield council in the sequel. I don't know if they where in the comics but at the end of the movie I don't think they where too happy with Fury's decision making.
Yeah I agree, based on the councils role in this movie I wouldn't be surprised if the tried to make their own Anti-Avengers/Master of Evil esque/Liberators/ "whatever you want to call them" team. The politics/ethics of this could be the more smaller personal movie they want while still having plenty of action. Have past/new villains acting for the Councils team; so even though they are evil, they're technically working for the government.

Best Batman Movie News Site Ever. Don't let a specific Texan fool ya!
http://batman-news.com/

Last edited by Venom 1988; 05-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Venom 1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #122
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Based on the way The Avengers ends, I think the most likely villain for Avengers 2 is
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thanos
, although there is also the potential for him to appear as the villain of Thor 2 before then, which would make him the second Marvel villain to appear in both a Thor movie and an Avengers movie (the first, of course, being Loki).

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #123
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Based on the way The Avengers ends, I think the most likely villain for Avengers 2 is
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Thanos
, although there is also the potential for him to appear as the villain of Thor 2 before then, which would make him the second Marvel villain to appear in both a Thor movie and an Avengers movie (the first, of course, being Loki).

Speaking of which is it confirmed that Thor 2,Iron man 3,and Captain America 2,next Hulk,etc will all or some of them be made before the next avengers film?
I'm guessing it's too early to say for sure but with the money The Avengers has been bringing in i'm wondering if they'll just make the sequel before anything else?

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #124
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ As of now, the films for which we have confirmed release dates are Iron Man 3 (May 3, 2013), Thor 2 (November 15, 2013), and Captain America 2 (April 2014). We do know that an Avengers sequel is most likely coming, but we don't have many details about it at this point.

Regarding a sequel to TIH, there are currently no plans for the character of Bruce Banner/The Hulk to be featured in another solo film, as was confirmed by Kevin Feige a week or so ago.

DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #125
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Carnage View Post

If Thanos shows up briefly in any film it's going to be in THOR II, because of his connection with Loki and the Infinity Gauntlet.

Spider-Man - Hear what?