The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #501
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Default Re: TDKR Trailer #3 debuting in The AVENGERS (May 4) - Part 1

The trailer for TDKR is awesome, the beginning is so intense that I think the audience isn't aware that it's for Batman until he pops up.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #502
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

For what it's worth, I took my girlfriend to see The Avengers, and she's very unbiased about all these CBM. She didn't care for Avengers very much despite having enjoyed the first Iron Man and Thor (I liked it a lot more than she did). She felt it was a straight-up kids movie and was struggling to understand what everyone was raving about (I tried to explained its geek-out factor lol). I remember her feeling the same about Captain America. They had showed the ASM trailer beforehand and she told me afterwards that it looks solid and she Andrew Garfield looks more believable in the role than Tobey.

Our showing didn't get a TDKR trailer (ROAR ), so I showed it to her when we got home and she said "Well, that looks really interesting."

Just thought I'd offer the perspective of a totally unbiased movie-fan who doesn't know the first thing about comics.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #503
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

I believe you.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #504
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

My sarcasm senses are tingling, ha! Hey, just thought I'd share a different perspective. We're so drenched in our own biases and knowledge about these films, I always enjoy hearing other people's take on things. I know I'm fairly new here but if I was gonna sign up to troll, I would've trolled sooner.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #505
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by souNdwAve89 View Post
When I saw the midnight screening for The Avengers, there was an equal amount of cheering when TDKR and TASM trailer popped up. I hope TASM does well since so many people are against it, especially Garfield being Peter Parker.
Yeah. The problem they have is that there is still a lot of emotional attachment to Maguire in the role among the GA. In that sense Garfield has a bit of a tougher job winning predisposed people over.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #506
Bat-Gasm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I believe you.

Dark Knight Returns reference?

Batman creates fear.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 AM   #507
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #508
batbax
Side-Kick

It's kinda true tho. Most the normies will like tdkr much better as its much closer to a real film. The avengers will attract the comic book reading basement dwellers more. Not judging either way, but facts are facts.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #509
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batbax View Post
It's kinda true tho. Most the normies will like tdkr much better as its much closer to a real film. The avengers will attract the comic book reading basement dwellers more. Not judging either way, but facts are facts.
Where are the facts? The "normies will like TDKR more" and "Avengers will attract comic reading basement dwellers more" are baseless opinions.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #510
Liam_H
Side-Kick

And basically untrue. If The Avengers only attracts "comic reading basement dwellers" it would probably have made like $20 million during the weekend.

Spill

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #511
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Where are the facts? The "normies will like TDKR more" and "Avengers will attract comic reading basement dwellers more" are baseless opinions.
K maybe facts was a tad judgemental. But informed opinion, hardly baseless. One film is appealing to man's baser instinct and is shiny and all explosionly, appealing to the basement dweller mentality. The other forces one to think and appeals to a higher emotional level, thus attracting a more discerning audience.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #512
Boom
I got nothin'

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #513
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
And basically untrue. If The Avengers only attracts "comic reading basement dwellers" it would probably have made like $20 million during the weekend.
Well many if those basement dwellers have offspring. Look I'm not saying its just them going to watch it, just merely pointing out the differences In the crowds the two films will attract in general.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #514
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

With over 600 million in the bank in the space of a week, I guess there are way more basement dwellers than previously assumed.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #515
Travesty
Dats right!

....but both movies are appealing to the "comic book basement dwellers". They're both movies about comic book characters.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #516
batbax
Side-Kick

Guys don't get bent out if shape. Just saying in general. I feel comic fans will in general flock more towards the avengers. Let's face it an argument a lot of times even on this board is Nolan isn't very comic like in his approach. Just sayin the normies and more sophisticated audience will be drawn to tdkr as it looks more like a "real" film. Mind you I don't share this view, however I'd be blind to discount the differences.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #517
Liam_H
Side-Kick

But you do realize you're putting down the entire Avengers board by saying more sophisticated audience will be drawn to TDKR.

Spill

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #518
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Let's face it an argument a lot of times even on this board is Nolan isn't very comic like in his approach.
Sees Batman YO, No Man's Land, the Killing Joke, No Man's Land.....

He is pretty comic like in his approach.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #519
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Eh. I really don't think there's that big of a divide.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #520
Boom
I got nothin'

What "sophisticated" crowd is this?

You and I must have had very different experiences seeing The Dark Knight. When I saw TDK in theaters, I saw the same kinds of people I usually do. Talking teenagers, parents with children, young adults, old adults, and everything in between. They laugh, they cheer, they occasionally throw in color commentary. Same old crowd. And it's the exact same crowd I just saw The Avengers with two hours ago.

The way some of you guys talk, should I expect to walk into a theater on July 20th packed full of professors and WASPs dressed in three-piece suits - complete with monocles and pipes? Will they nod in unison at all of the film's "deep" moments, adding polite "Hmm's" as they stroke their chins? Can I expect to be able to hear a pin drop, as everybody sits in complete silent attention for two hours?

FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, having been based on comic book properties, are comic-book movies by definition. And if that description still doesn't sit well with you, they're both superhero movies, as they were based on superhero characters. Pick whichever you want.
FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises cater to the same demographics, and therefore share similar crowds.
FACT: One is not "more like a 'real' film" than the other. They are both films. Why this even needs to be addressed truly boggles the mind. What is The Avengers, if not a "real" film? A fake one? Seriously .

Last edited by Boom; 05-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:50 AM   #521
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sees Batman YO, No Man's Land, the Killing Joke, No Man's Land.....

He is pretty comic like in his approach.
Oh I totally agree. But if you've been privy to this board for awhile you'd see there are those amongst us who'd say quite otherwise. And batman comics, especially his graphic novels, by nature tend to be more mature anyways, which is why I always found that view silly, as I feel Nolan does a great job in this regard.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #522
batbax
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post

You and I must have had very different experiences seeing The Dark Knight. When I saw TDK in theaters, I saw the same kinds of people I usually do. Talking teenagers, parents with children, young adults, old adults, and everything in between. They laugh, they cheer, they occasionally throw in color commentary. Same old crowd. And it's the exact same crowd I just saw The Avengers with two hours ago.

The way some of you guys talk, should I expect to walk into a theater on July 20th packed full of professors and WASPs dressed in three-piece suits - complete with monocles and pipes? Will they nod in unison at all of the film's "deep" moments, adding polite "Hmm's" as they stroke their chins?

FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, having been based on comic book characters, are comic-book movies by definition.
FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises cater to the same demographics, and consequently cater to similar crowds.
FACT: One is not "more of a film" than the other. They are both films.
I'll be there with a fine red and a Cuban cigar. I fear you've taken what I implied a tad out of context, friend. Of course if one goes to a viewing of the avengers and a viewing of tdkr they'll see a somewhat similar conglomerate. (except I disagree a tad on the children part although given any one or two random viewings one could find a fair share of children at both). My point was in the overall scheme, tdkr will appeal to a different subset of viewer. Just look at blobsters example. His girlfriend was much more interested in tdkr. Probably because she's rather educated and doesn't spend an inordinate amount if time reading comic books. In their surface the two films will attract people with different mentalities is all I'm getting at. If shown just the trailer for the two films knowing nothing else, id say an older, more discerning audience would be interested in tdkr. Of course all groups of people will see both. I'm speaking strictly in what part of humanity each film appeals to. That's what I meant by "normie". Someone who likes an emotionally engrossing movie which makes them think a tad, and isnt so emotionally invested in tge comic side of things.No offense intended to anyone, just how I see it.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #523
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:

The way some of you guys talk, should I expect to walk into a theater on July 20th packed full of professors and WASPs dressed in three-piece suits - complete with monocles and pipes? Will they nod in unison at all of the film's "deep" moments, adding polite "Hmm's" as they stroke their chins? Can I expect to be able to hear a pin drop, as everybody sits in complete silent attention for two hours?

FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, having been based on comic book properties, are comic-book movies by definition. And if that description still doesn't sit well with you, they're both superhero movies, as they were based on superhero characters. Pick whichever you want.
FACT: Both The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises cater to the same demographics, and therefore share similar crowds.
FACT: One is not "more like a 'real' film" than the other. They are both films. Why this even needs to be addressed truly boggles the mind. What is The Avengers, if not a "real" film? A fake one? Seriously .

The images in my mind man...

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 05-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #524
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:

I would so love to be in audience like this watching TDKR.

Spill

Old 05-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #525
Travesty
Dats right!

Fact: The Avengers appeals to a more Shawarma type of audience, while TDKR appeals to the more falafel type.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Closed Thread