The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Only You Can Save Mankind - some thoughts

I am highly annoyed with the fact that Johnny Maxwell already has a bunch of friends, but they are nothing more than "cameos" in the first book. In the very FIRST book.
Instead we're getting a girl as the second biggest character.
This girl, Kirsty, hasn't got a part in the story of the second book - but Johnny's friends are brought back into spotlight.
Something just doesn't feels right here. Johnny and the Dead should take place before Only you Can Save Mankind. In the way Pratchett presents the characters to us, it feels like it's a little backwards.

And I don't agree that everything supernatural only happen inside Johnny's head. That's bulls**t. He's really brought inside a computer game, it happens for REAL. To claim otherwise is to take away the sense of magic and wonder from the story, to destroy the feeling that everything can happen in a book. I'm glad that J.K. Rowling hasn't said that Harry Potter's adventures is just imagination by a sleeping boy.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Airwings
Waves of air

Default Re: Only You Can Save Mankind - some thoughts

This is the only Maxwell book that hasn't been adapted to live action format. Both Johnny And The Dead and Johnny And The Bomb has been done before with real actors.
I wonder when it's Only You Can Save Mankind's turn.
Do you think it has what it takes to become successful and warrant sequels? Can it compete with Harry Potter, Twilight and Narnia?

Last edited by Airwings; 08-01-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Default Re: Only You Can Save Mankind - some thoughts

I've only read Johnny and the Bomb, and in terms of franchise potential I'd have to say no. It lacks the full-blown fantasy elements of Potter and Narnia that children outside of the UK would be expecting from a property like this.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote