The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #501
JimMacQ

Default Re: Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars452 View Post
Part of me wishes they used that badass compound bow from Thor rather than the weak looking "folding" number he used in this movie that wouldn't likely throw an arrow twenty feet, let alone accomplish the kind of accuracy he achieved throughout the movie. Pulleys and wheels just make everything better. And also, arrows don't work that way, flying straight and and flat like that. "Straight as an arrow" is a misnomer, since they wobble like a sonuva***** in flight.
The bow he uses is a Hoyt Buffalo hunting bow. People regularly shoot well over 100 yards with similar bows. A home-made bow made of 1/2" PVC pipe with about a 5 pound draw weight will easily shoot 60 feet with an aluminum 1616 arrow. As for accuracy, Howard Hill used to shoot quarters out of the air with a longbow. It's not the bow, it's the archer.

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, this is a movie with an Asgardian "god", a flying powered armor powered essentially by magic, a Hulk, and a gravity defying supercarrier that can turn invisible, but suspension of disbelief doesn't work as well for less fantastical elements in a fantasy.
Exactly. If anything, the non-fantastical elements have to be perfect in order to get people to believe the fantastical stuff.

Quote:
Also, I read somewhere Jeremy Renner actually practiced how to do archery when prepping for the role, but Whedon or some other member of the production team didn't let him use the technique. That's a shame. I haven't done archery in years, but every time he shot something I was all "That's not how you draw a bow!"
That's just PR blather on his part. The mistakes he's making are all things nobody would have changed, like rotating his arm the right way, drawing back completely, lowering his elbow, straightening his wrist, would have made him look more powerful, more dynamic, more superheroic. There is absolutely no reason why Whedon or anyone else would have told him not to shoot properly.

A friend was at the red carpet premiere and asked Renner about it. He told her (off the record) that he'd seen my article and that I was absolutely right, he had no training and didn't know what he was doing. You can bet they will hire a coach for the sequel. You can also bet it won't be me, since I was a jerk to him in public.

JimMacQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #502
JimMacQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofphoto View Post
Forgive me if this has already been covered but.....Why is it that in the movie Thor, Hawkeye shoots his bow right handed, but in Avengers he is left handed?
Most likely because his scene in Thor was tiny; they handed him a bow and shot the scene. When it came to making the Avengers, they discovered that he's left-eyed and switched to the correct bow.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #503
JimMacQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor View Post
ambidextrous?
It doesn't work that way. It's not about being left- or right-handed, it's eye dominance; one eye aims better than the other.

Test it yourself. With both eyes open, point at a distant object. Close one eye. Open it and close the other. You'll find that with one eye you point right at the thing, and with the other you point off to one side. The one that stays on target is the dominant eye. If it's your left one, you should shoot a left-handed bow even if you're right-handed.

About 85% of people are right-handed, but only about 70% are right-eyed, and some of them are left-handed. Cross-dominant people (left-handed/right-eyed or right-handed/left-eyed) make the best archers.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #504
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

After seeing the movie I am even more convinced that a Hawkeye & Black Widow spin-off could work.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #505
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
After seeing the movie I am even more convinced that a Hawkeye & Black Widow spin-off could work.
Yeah they should get their own movie!

I really want to see on how bad Black Widow was and I want to see that moment where Hawkeye was about to kill Black Widow but he didn't.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #506
cofphoto
Side-Kick

What difference does it make which of his eyes are better 'aiming' in real life, when he's not actually required to shoot and hit anything when filming? Some of the shots he's only pretending and not even actually putting an arrow in his bow.

cofphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #507
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Yep, their Budapest dialogue convinced me. I wouldn't mind seeing that.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #508
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Love the way Hawkeye's quiver worked.
Hawkeye's quiver was brilliant. He chose the arrowheads with a control on the bow itself, then the quiver armed an arrow shaft with the selected head and elevated it from the quiver. That explains how Clint knew which head was on each arrow as he pulled them. It was a very elegant solution.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #509
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Quote:
No doubt. I REALLY hope Marvel announces one soon.

I LOVED what they did with Hawkeye. Especially in the final battle; he kicked some major ass there. He could have used some more quips; but I liked the sarcasm that we got from him.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #510
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Hawkeye's quiver was brilliant. He chose the arrowheads with a control on the bow itself, then the quiver armed an arrow shaft with the selected head and elevated it from the quiver. That explains how Clint knew which head was on each arrow as he pulled them. It was a very elegant solution.
I liked that as well since I had my doubts into how his arrows and quiver would work in the film. In the credits, just after the film ended, showing a very close-in view of his mechanized quiver made me even more of a fan of his.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #511
Havok83
Side-Kick

Dissapointed. Easily the worst of the team. Renner was fine but Hawkeye was just a boring character in this film and he had like very little charm and personality. Definetly wasnt a good representation of him considering how much better he is in the books

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #512
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Dissapointed. Easily the worst of the team. Renner was fine but Hawkeye was just a boring character in this film and he had like very little charm and personality. Definetly wasnt a good representation of him considering how much better he is in the books
Can't agree. His condition early in the film hurt the character development, no doubt. But once the battle hit I thought Renner and the character in general was fantastic. So cool, so calm, just the right bit of arrogance. I loved him.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #513
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

I really love Jeremy Renner as an actor. I've been invested in him since 28 Weeks Later. So I was really looking forward to his performance here. He didn't have as much to do as I would have liked, but I thought the character shined in the few brief moments he had. That one shot where shoots the arrow without even looking at the target got a huge ass reaction in my theater lol.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #514
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought the trick arrows were well done.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #515
def28
Side-Kick

Renner was awesome. I definitely want to see that Blackwidow Hawkeye movie get green lit asap. Even with them both not on screen till the end I completely bought their history and importance together through Scarletts performance early on in the film. I thought it was a solid arc and built up well considering how many characters where in the film.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #516
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Renner was awesome. I definitely want to see that Blackwidow Hawkeye movie get green lit asap. Even with them both not on screen till the end I completely bought their history and importance together through Scarletts performance early on in the film. I thought it was a solid arc and built up well considering how many characters where in the film.
I think the Budapest exchange between him and BW really showed their back history and a bit of the wise-cracking Hawkeye from the comics.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #517
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I think the Budapest exchange between him and BW really showed their back history and a bit of the wise-cracking Hawkeye from the comics.
Yeah, it was cool how since they didnt have enought time to visually show their back stories they still developed it with talk about past history. Cant wait to see them kicking the **** out of people again.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #518
chris moore
Side-Kick

I had a thought about the direction a solo/prequel movie for them could take. Now that they're "officially" Avengers, the film would have to take place before the current one, otherwise it would come off as the "Adventures of Hawkeye and Black Widow" TV series in between Avengers events. But it would also have to involve SHIELD due to Hawkeye being an agent for the at the time he met Black Widow. You couldn't go too "Bourne" on it (not least due to the fact that Renner is now in a Bourne film) simply because they aren't superpowered but are spies, because the world they have been introduced to the audience in is one with fantastical elements and superbeings. Further, although the post-credit scenes we've had so far can be paraphrased as it were, Nick's comment in IM1 about him not being the only superhero in the world suggests that characters may have popped up already that we have yet to see in movies but that SHIELD agents may have come across. Thor didn't appear on Earth till IM2, and Cap was only found around the time of Thor (and certainly not before IM1). Leaving Hulk as the only possible Avengers already known to Fury.

Therefore (finally, he gets to the point), a way to potentially increase the membership of the Avengers for the second film without needing an origin, flashback, solo movie in addition to an HE/BW one could well be to use the much promised Ant-Man film as the backdrop.

Think about it. What if the final mission/red ledger deed Widow carries out before joining SHIELD was to obtain a newly discovered particle source from a scientist who SHIELD had been trying to get to come to them and give them his research? Hired by a soviet (though a great deal of the film could be set in Budapest to make use of and flesh out the line between them in the Avengers) arms dealer to procure the Pym Particles recently discovered by Henry Pym. Pym is visiting Budapest with his Hungarian wife (now nationalised US citizen), Maria, and it is this relative proximity to Russia and distance from the US that prompts Natasha to make her move. SHIELD gets wind of the arms dealer making a big move of some kind and that he has hired the Black Widow to carry it out. Hawkeye is sent to put her down for good (several political assassinations under KGB orders maybe), and a cat and mouse game ensues between the two. When Hawkeye finally catches up to her, the arms dealer has sent a squad to get the job done as Widow has taken too long for his buyers. In the conflict that follows, Pym's wife is killed by the squad despite Natasha's attempts to save her, forcing Clint to see a different side to her than he expected. The three of them escape, but not before Hank's equipment is stolen by the squad.

Far as I've gotten.

chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #519
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Well, Hawkeye definitely has some new fans. I went to the movie tonight, in a sold out showing nonetheless, and next to me, there were several ladies who were dragged by their kids to watch the movie. At the part where Hawkeye is out of arrows, and all the bad guys are closing in, the woman next to me started to put her hands on her eyes, and actually mumbled "Oh no, not him, I like him!" and the rest of the nearby audience was mumbling in agreement. Loved their reaction afterwards!!.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #520
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

I don't really know much about Hawkeye compared to the other characters, but after this movie I'm seeking him out because he's freaking awesome. I mean the dude doesn't miss! No look hitting targets while talking? Dang. being played by Jeremy Renner doesn't hurt either!

4. Whiplash
5. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #521
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

What was your favorite arrow that he used? I liked the one that was able to hack into the helicarrier's internal systems and disable the one turbine.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #522
DrDoom
Dictator

IM SURE THIS HAS BEEN MENTIONED BUT, I LOVED THE SHOT WHERE HAWKEYE SHOOTS A CHITAURI BEHIND HIM WITHOUT EVEN LOOKING LOL

AND LOVED THE WAY HIS BOW HAS CONTROLS ON IT THAT TELL HIS QUIVER WHAT ARROWHEADS TO PUT ON THE SHAFTS. WAS WONDERING HOW THEY WOULD ADDRESS HOW HE KNOWS WHAT ARROWS HE'S PULLING OUT

-DOOM

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #523
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Exactly. Even though he spent the first half of the movie being mind-controlled by Loki, he had more than made up of lost time by becoming a complete badass character in the final battle. It's clear that they figured out a good logistic for Hawkeye to choose the quiver quickly, and I hope it won't be wasted and it can be explored further with a Hawkeye/BW movie.

Btw, do you think when the Green Arrow TV show launched, people will think GA ripped off from Hawkeye?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #524
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
What was your favorite arrow that he used? I liked the one that was able to hack into the helicarrier's internal systems and disable the one turbine.
I like all of the arrows, actually, but aside from that no-look shot (the most impressive one imo), I really like the one arrow he fired at Loki while the target is on that fast-moving chariot. After Loki caught it with a smirk, what comes next was just awesome, and Hawkeye got bit of his revenge with that hit.

Oh, and to have Hawkeye aiming his arrow at Loki just when the God of Mischief woke from his unconsciousness was golden.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #525
Savage
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Exactly. Even though he spent the first half of the movie being mind-controlled by Loki, he had more than made up of lost time by becoming a complete badass character in the final battle. It's clear that they figured out a good logistic for Hawkeye to choose the quiver quickly, and I hope it won't be wasted and it can be explored further with a Hawkeye/BW movie.

Btw, do you think when the Green Arrow TV show launched, people will think GA ripped off from Hawkeye?
I think the confusion will lead to more people tuning in to watch. Then when they realize he's not Hawkeye they'll be really disappointed. That is of course if they haven't watched Smallville. I'm sure there's at least someone out there who thought that was the character in Avengers. I certainly know people who wondered where Superman and Batman were.

"Why are you trying to kill my kid?! You know what? I don't care. You got some beef with him or me? Whatever. You trying to start a rogues gallery of some sort? I ain't got half as much patience as Batman or The Flash. If he dies...so do you." - Green Arrow
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote