The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3

View Poll Results: Do you like or dislike organic webshooters?
Love em 17 39.53%
Hate em 10 23.26%
Like em both 16 37.21%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #151
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: Organic Webshooter Tribute Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy_Parker View Post
Yes, but they're one of the best ways. For God's sake, he uses them to get from point A to point B. He uses them to save civilians. He uses it to stop thugs.

What other ways have you got in mind?
The thing is, that while I believe that mechanical webshooters can show off Peter's intellect, they do not do so inherently. Their mechanical nature has to be a bigger point in the story, such as the times Peter alters the web formula to adapt to different situations, or else they're mostly interchangeable with biological webshooters.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #152
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Disagreed.

The fact that he invents a web formula/tweaks an existing (urm, Army miracle glue, or something like that?) formula to his liking, then develops a device to shoot said formula out is literally one of the best ways to show off his intellectual side.

Troy_Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #153
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Disagreed.

The fact that he invents a web formula/tweaks an existing (urm, Army miracle glue, or something like that?) formula to his liking, then develops a device to shoot said formula out is literally one of the best ways to show off his intellectual side.
Unless that's actually made a big point in the story (such as spending time showing him perfecting it), then it's not really remarkable to an audience.

The more you know.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #154
Troy_Parker
Banned User

I think they are. We already know there's a scene where he's testing the shooters. So I'm assuming there'll be scenes before that where he's making/tweaking the formula... and the shooters.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #155
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
I think they are. We already know there's a scene where he's testing the shooters. So I'm assuming there'll be scenes before that where he's making/tweaking the formula... and the shooters.
So my point stands.

The more you know.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #156
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The webshooters definitely show off Peter's intelligence and even with organic webbing, webshooters could come in handy as well. There's a poster of sorts out there(maybe you can find it on Google), that has a webshooter becoming useful even with organic webbing, as in shooting the webbing out through the mechanic in a straight line instead of all over the place.

But, nonetheless, webshooters are a must simply because it shows Peter's intellect, and there are very few ways to showcase that when he doesn't use tricky weaponry such as Batman. That's just my opinion.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #157
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Webshooters seem rather unrealistic to me. Peter gets his powers when he's still in high school. He's not rich, has limited resources, he's smart, but has no advanced education yet he somehow makes webshooters? it's just not believable. Maybe if someone gave them to him, or he somehow got them then it would work better. There are a ton of genius scientists in his universe.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #158
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Webshooters seem rather unrealistic to me. Peter gets his powers when he's still in high school. He's not rich, has limited resources, he's smart, but has no advanced education yet he somehow makes webshooters? it's just not believable. Maybe if someone gave them to him, or he somehow got them then it would work better. There are a ton of genius scientists in his universe.
In Ultimate Spider-Man, he derived the formula from his father's work.

The more you know.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #159
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
In Ultimate Spider-Man, he derived the formula from his father's work.
And that could very well be the case for Webb's reboot. As well with the fact that he creates a webshooter from what looks to be a watch. Something such as that seems more realistic than some flashy webshooter that would have to cost a lot of money to make. Add that to his using his father's formula makes sense.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #160
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

One of the best things about mechanical webshooters is they prove only a nerd could've been Spider-man.

This point is re-established when Parker must use his brain to defeat science based super villains, sometimes doing it by changing his web formula.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #161
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
One of the best things about mechanical webshooters is they prove only a nerd could've been Spider-man.

This point is re-established when Parker must use his brain to defeat science based super villains, sometimes doing it by changing his web formula.
This.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #162
Troy_Parker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post

Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #163
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-ManHero12 View Post
Guys, What are your thoughts on Spidey having organics in the comics (he used to) back in 2007?
Always loved the idea, I'm an organic webshooter buff, so the more I see it, the better.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #164
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

Just resurrecting this thread for a question. If any of you do any writing, I'd like to ask ya a question. If you were to write your own Spider-Man story, would you input biological webshooters, or stick to the traditional ones?

I've written only one Spider-Man fanfic, and I stuck with the biological ones.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #165
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I am partial to the idea of just mechanical webshooters, but I wouldn't mind if Peter had organic webbing but still use webshooters to streamline the webbing.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #166
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

I was just thinking a few minutes ago. Spider-Man has had his webshooters for a long long time. They've proven to be valuable time and time again, same goes with being a disadvantage as well.

So that makes me ask...how come, in all the years he's been around, he never asked someone like Reed Richards to alter his DNA so that he could have organic webbing. I'm sure Richards could do it no problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #167
UltimateWebhead
Black's the new Red&Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Just resurrecting this thread for a question. If any of you do any writing, I'd like to ask ya a question. If you were to write your own Spider-Man story, would you input biological webshooters, or stick to the traditional ones?

I've written only one Spider-Man fanfic, and I stuck with the biological ones.
Why is that when Peter gets the biological web shooters they are in his wrists? Spiders don't have web glands in the ends of their legs, it's in their butt, essentially. If Peter were to have those same glands, wouln't they be in the same place as a Spider? I don't have an issue with the organics and if they decided to use them again in TASM, I'd be ok with that decision.

I like the idea of the mechanical web shooters more because it gives Peter a chance to show his genius and what he's capable of doing. I also like the idea of how he can 'run out' of webbing and this opens the door for a bunch of different angles to change up the story and create tension.

UltimateWebhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #168
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWebhead View Post
Why is that when Peter gets the biological web shooters they are in his wrists? Spiders don't have web glands in the ends of their legs, it's in their butt, essentially. If Peter were to have those same glands, wouln't they be in the same place as a Spider? I don't have an issue with the organics and if they decided to use them again in
Who cares? Is what I say. The location of biological spinnerets on a human shouldn't really be the focus of people's skepticism. The only thing that should have happen to Peter after getting bitten by an irradiated/genetically modified spider is die or get cancer, and then die, period. But it doesn't, so our acceptance of the impossible shouldn't stop at the location of where his spinnerets are. The question I always asked was why not get the biological spinnerets after being bitten. Peter gets all the other abilities, but those are left out? That never really made sense in my book.

When I made this thread, it wasn't to debate the realism of organic webshooters, just to show them appreciation by the fans that like the idea. So I would like to sail clear of any future debates. Please.

Last edited by BrollySupersj; 05-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.
BrollySupersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #169
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
I was just thinking a few minutes ago. Spider-Man has had his webshooters for a long long time. They've proven to be valuable time and time again, same goes with being a disadvantage as well.

So that makes me ask...how come, in all the years he's been around, he never asked someone like Reed Richards to alter his DNA so that he could have organic webbing. I'm sure Richards could do it no problem.
Because mechanical webshooters are cooler, lol.

That's a good question actually...but, maybe Peter doesn't want his DNA altered anymore that it already is?

Old 05-07-2012, 02:09 AM   #170
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Because mechanical webshooters are cooler, lol.

That's a good question actually...but, maybe Peter doesn't want his DNA altered anymore that it already is?
How dare you spread your slanderous filth!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #171
ViscaBarcaInter
Side-Kick

Organic webshooters make so much more sense. Mechanics are just stupid, and I frankly don't care who gets offended by that. Peter Parker, this "regular unassuming dude" who gets these incredible powers thrust in his lap. The whole idea of the character's popularity was his relatability, right? He's not some noble warrior or trained to be a hero, and he only becomes a hero after personal tragedy caused by his OWN choices leads him to realise the whole Power = Responsibility thing that is the central theme of Spider-Man.

It's hard enough to "relate" to a regular average Joe who gets laid like a rock star with an entire bevvy of Marvel's sexiest ladies after him. He also needs to be some kind of kid genius who creates this insanely advanced tech before having a proper job? Come on. Not every hero needs to be a super scientist. Plus, spiders = web. It's the first thing people think of when they think of spiders, why would he have the barely known concept of spider sense but not the infinitely more obvious ability to produce webbing?

It just makes more sense in the world of Marvel, IMO.

But no talking to spiders.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #172
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscaBarcaInter View Post
Organic webshooters make so much more sense. Mechanics are just stupid, and I frankly don't care who gets offended by that. Peter Parker, this "regular unassuming dude" who gets these incredible powers thrust in his lap. The whole idea of the character's popularity was his relatability, right? He's not some noble warrior or trained to be a hero, and he only becomes a hero after personal tragedy caused by his OWN choices leads him to realise the whole Power = Responsibility thing that is the central theme of Spider-Man.

It's hard enough to "relate" to a regular average Joe who gets laid like a rock star with an entire bevvy of Marvel's sexiest ladies after him. He also needs to be some kind of kid genius who creates this insanely advanced tech before having a proper job? Come on. Not every hero needs to be a super scientist. Plus, spiders = web. It's the first thing people think of when they think of spiders, why would he have the barely known concept of spider sense but not the infinitely more obvious ability to produce webbing?

*starts to read the post*

*pays attention to the bold*

*realizes this poster's opinion sucks already just by the way of the attitude*

Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #173
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:

I think what makes him so relate-able is partly because of the problem he faces, not just that he isn't supposed to be a billionaire or alien. I think mechanicals are cooler because they are more interesting and you can do more things with them. Also, neither of them make more sense than the other. With organics, the placement is just unrealistic and its kinda unrealistic how he has so much web fluid in his body. With mechanical web shooters it automatically makes this kid a genius, which is unrealistic to a lot of people. Personally, I just thing mechanical webshooters are more interesting.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #174
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

Quote:
Organic webshooters make so much more sense. Mechanics are just stupid, and I frankly don't care who gets offended by that.
Tone it down there hoss, we don't need another flamewar here.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #175
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

The one thing i noticed about the biological web shooters peter had that seemed a bit off in the raimi films, is that the web shot out a lot of the time not as single strands as would make sense but in pre-made web designs like you'd see on a spider-web.

Now with mechanical spinerets attached that would some more sense.

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote