Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #101
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I get all of that but I can do without the sappy melodrama in a cbm.
Cap being a man out of time is what makes him most interesting to a modern audience, and that plotline visually illustrates what Cap lost (and film is a visual medium). Why is including this become too "melodramtic?" It only enhances Cap's story, if anything.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #102
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Cap being a man out of time is what makes him most interesting to a modern audience, and that plotline visually illustrates what Cap lost (and film is a visual medium). Why is including this become too "melodramtic?" It only enhances Cap's story, if anything.
Exactly. Good character development and the closing of an emotionally-tied story is not melodrama. Its good writing.

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #103
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Those ears-out designs for cap look incredible. But I honestly love what we got. Even the helmet looked great to me.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #104
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
No, it is because it is better from a writing standpoint. Her being dead is sad, yes. But, you don't see the contrast that an elderly Peggy does. When you see Peggy old and gray, you SEE her journey to where she is now in contrast to Steve's. You also see a human reaction to her finding out the man she loved, who she thought dead, is alive. And he doesn't look any different. It's far more sad and emotional if she is still alive.
Probably the best explanation and reason to include Peggy in the sequel. I think you need her to sort of help Cap complete his character arc that Marvel set up in TFA.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #105
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Rogers dancing with an older Peggy can be quite the emotional scene if they choose to do that in CA2. If executed well it can get the waterworks going for me.

Heck the scene where Rogers is saying his goodbyes with Peggy as he prepares himself to crash the ship made me tear up a bit and not many movies do that for me.

Evans has been somewhat of the unsung hero of these movies. Loved him in Avengers (one of the strongest performances in the entire movie).
Imagine what things will be like if Peggy were to finally die in Steve's arms as they're dancing.

But yeah, i could buy that Peggy is in her 90's, maybe even older, just like how did they did that thing with Rose in Titanic.

Heck, they could make it a point for CA2 to be about Steve letting go of his past entirely and moving on with his life, with meeting Peggy for the last time at the end to be the final thing that he needs to do before really moving on.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #106
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Imagine what things will be like if Peggy were to finally die in Steve's arms as they're dancing.

Heck, they could make it a point for CA2 to be about Steve letting go of his past entirely and moving on with his life, with meeting Peggy for the last time at the end to be the final thing that he needs to do before really moving on.
Good idea, and probably the route they will take.

Anyways, in Cap 2, what does Cap do when he's not with the Avengers? Will he just be a SHIELD agent? He doesn't seem like the type to just run around the rooftops looking for trouble.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #107
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post

Anyways, in Cap 2, what does Cap do when he's not with the Avengers? Will he just be a SHIELD agent? He doesn't seem like the type to just run around the rooftops looking for trouble.
Considering on how it was mentioned by the official statement regarding CA2 that SHIELD will be present in the film, my guess is that he'll be doing missions for them; whether it's covert or not.

Heck, the film could start with him investigating into the possible reemergence of a modern day HYDRA team.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #108
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:

I expect him to be a SHIELD agent since he really has nothing else to do.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #109
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I expect him to be a SHIELD agent since he really has nothing else to do.
Indeed; though he may keep his distance as to what he does for SHIELD considering on how it was established that he doesn't necessarily trust Fury entirely and knows that Fury has blood on his hands as well.

That, and I don't see Steve taking on missions that conflicts with his own moral beliefs.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #110
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Those ears-out designs for cap look incredible. But I honestly love what we got. Even the helmet looked great to me.
I agree The cowl helmet worked and looked great some people on here just like to complain. I've seen the film three times at different theaters and I can tell you that the GA (General Audience) didn't complain about cap's costume design. I've gone to several different comic book shops and they loved the costume.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #111
Goku Goes Crazy
Side-Kick

Chris Evans Cap is the best character in this franchise. He's the most emotionally engaging and he had the best pre-avenger film.

Goku Goes Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #112
hafizbat
Side-Kick

The thing with Cap 2 is that it has to keep progressing Steve Rogers. He took a big step in The Avengers, but we need to see more of how he develops into Captain America, the most inspirational character in the Marvel universe. I really hope they stay in the more superhero tone for him in Cap 2 rather than go all SHIELD agent/stealth/soldier-spy. Someone even suggested he wear the super-soldier uniform, which would make me cry.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #113
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goku Goes Crazy View Post
Chris Evans Cap is the best character in this franchise. He's the most emotionally engaging and he had the best pre-avenger film.
He's your favorite, not the best since there is no "best" character.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #114
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
The thing with Cap 2 is that it has to keep progressing Steve Rogers. He took a big step in The Avengers, but we need to see more of how he develops into Captain America, the most inspirational character in the Marvel universe. I really hope they stay in the more superhero tone for him in Cap 2 rather than go all SHIELD agent/stealth/soldier-spy. Someone even suggested he wear the super-soldier uniform, which would make me cry.
Some arcs that I could see him going through in his solo films:

1. Moving on completely with his life and away from his past.

2. Having to wrestle with the idea that perhaps the very country that he fought so hard for and to protect may not be as noble and inspiring as he had once seen it to be; that he has to be someone more than a man representing one country.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #115
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
I agree The cowl helmet worked and looked great some people on here just like to complain. I've seen the film three times at different theaters and I can tell you that the GA (General Audience) didn't complain about cap's costume design. I've gone to several different comic book shops and they loved the costume.
Do I have your permission to disagree with you *squeek*?

Or should I reply that some people have absolutely no quality standards whatsoever and will accept and praise any rubbish given to them, like that horrendous cowl helmet?

Which would be an equally stupid thing to say.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #116
marcvader
Lurker #1

I really hope Cap working with SHIELD doesn't mean him going with a Captain Rogers suit

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #117
antonydelfini
Odinson

Quote:

He could be always with SHIELD ala Brubaker era, or a free lance artist ala Roger Stern run (which is my favorite). I prefer the free lance artist bit.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #118
Kalonthar

What with Shield being a part of the next Cap film, I'm wondering if Hawkeye and BW will have any presence. I doubt it (beyond cameos or a mention), but you never know.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #119
Bren
Forevernoob

Imagine the movie is about Captain America being sent on a Shield mission WITH BW and Hawkeye.

We can safely assume he is far more morally firm than they are, and they can be shown as end-justifies-the-means type characters. Would be fun watching him try keep them 'honest'.

It could also be hair-raising watching Cap really 'lose it' if they go overboard.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #120
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Imagine the movie is about Captain America being sent on a Shield mission WITH BW and Hawkeye.

We can safely assume he is far more morally firm than they are, and they can be shown as end-justifies-the-means type characters. Would be fun watching him try keep them 'honest'.

It could also be hair-raising watching Cap really 'lose it' if they go overboard.

Given that BW and Hawkeye have been somewhat established in TA, I think it would be better if they're not included with him in solo films. Don't want to run the risk of CA2 being considered like what IM2 was to a lot of people.

IF Steve needs a agent to go with him from SHIELD, it could always be Sharon carter.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #121
zentype
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Wow the full cowl with the ears opened
That looks good for a few reasons (the ears don't matter so much)

-The 'A'. Look at the A for most versions of the costume pictured (even the 'supposed' avengers movie version on the left) It is noticeably wider set then the actual movie 'A'. The top is flat, not a point like the font they went with. The entire A is much thicker in these shots --just like in the comic book. Instead they went with a generic type font 'A' The effect isn't as impressive and looks anemic compared to the bold wide 'A'.

Again the A in the left movie costume photo isn't the A they actually used in the movie.

2. The 'jagged' lower cowl line over the mouth area. Why didn't they do this, I don't know. Looks great.

3. The noticeable sectioning of the cowl into three parts: top and two sides, to make it more square and not round/oval (like the movie version looked)

4. The more streamlined wings instead of a vertical spread-winged design like in the movie. (which didn't work as well)

The ears aren't as important as the other elements. If they exposed the ears with the current round helmet, skinny A version it would have looked bad.

If they would have had some attention to detail, the helmet and entire costume would have looked *much* better.

As it is, it's just OK but it could definitely be improved per the above.

See below for what I'm referring to:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

zentype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #122
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Given that BW and Hawkeye have been somewhat established in TA, I think it would be better if they're not included with him in solo films. Don't want to run the risk of CA2 being considered like what IM2 was to a lot of people.

IF Steve needs a agent to go with him from SHIELD, it could always be Sharon carter.
Not that I would go that way, but I think it'd be fun if they appeared in his film - as minor characters. Hell, show the end of a joint mission in the beginning of the film, him disagreeing with their methods and going on his own for a while...

Of course, it wouldn't bother me if they weren't in it at all...

Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #123
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
You consulted every single audience member those three times you saw it to know they didn't have any issues with Caps suit? That's amazing.

It's not the kind of issue where people are going to voice it loudly in the theater as the movie is playing.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #124
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentype View Post
That looks good for a few reasons (the ears don't matter so much)

-The 'A'. Look at the A for most versions of the costume pictured (even the 'supposed' avengers movie version on the left) It is noticeably wider set then the actual movie 'A'. The top is flat, not a point like the font they went with. The entire A is much thicker in these shots --just like in the comic book. Instead they went with a generic type font 'A' The effect isn't as impressive and looks anemic compared to the bold wide 'A'.

Again the A in the left movie costume photo isn't the A they actually used in the movie.

2. The 'jagged' lower cowl line over the mouth area. Why didn't they do this, I don't know. Looks great.

3. The noticeable sectioning of the cowl into three parts: top and two sides, to make it more square and not round/oval (like the movie version looked)

4. The more streamlined wings instead of a vertical spread-winged design like in the movie. (which didn't work as well)

The ears aren't as important as the other elements. If they exposed the ears with the current round helmet, skinny A version it would have looked bad.

If they would have had some attention to detail, the helmet and entire costume would have looked *much* better.

As it is, it's just OK but it could definitely be improved per the above.

See below for what I'm referring to:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

All these changes I agree with, plus add a star at the back, complete the red/white stripes all around and I think it would look perfect.

Either that, or completely start over and go for the scalemail top and full white sleeves. I think this could also look great.

In that (excellent) art, the far most left, the bottom two, and the far most right all look great. If they could actually pull it off in real, it would be perhaps the best comic book costume come to screen (besides Raimi Spiderman). I think I like the bottom row second to the right the best. Those full white sleeves just look good.

Last edited by hafizbat; 05-08-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #125
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
You consulted every single audience member those three times you saw it to know they didn't have any issues with Caps suit? That's amazing.

It's not the kind of issue where people are going to voice it loudly in the theater as the movie is playing.
You sure? A guy in my theatre literally died from laughter when cap first appeared on screen all suited up.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 8/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote