The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

The only part where I got a little tripped up was when he was in the field and Mjolnir wouldn't come to his hand. Was that supposed to be implying that the hammer needed to be recharged (hence the lightning scene)?
I think Thor was just reflecting on things; what with his brother having actively tried to kill him again after having killed off Coulson, and realizing that he needs to stop his brother now.

i don't think it had anything to do with him not being worthy again or his hammer not functioning.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be Hemsworthy, shall possess the power of Tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I think Thor was just reflecting on things; what with his brother having actively tried to kill him again after having killed off Coulson, and realizing that he needs to stop his brother now.

i don't think it had anything to do with him not being worthy again or his hammer not functioning.
That's my take on it as well, but it wasn't all too clear and there's been several people asking about that scene.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
That's my take on it as well, but it wasn't all too clear and there's been several people asking about that scene.
Yeah, I remember hearing some audience members asking about that when the scene played. I think what helped a lot of casual viewers understand the true context of that scene was how it focused on Thor clenching his hands.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #29
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Thor was a freaking bad*** in this movie. I was never all that interested in Thor's comics as a kid, but TA and his solo movie have really given me a new appreciation for the character. It's true that he had less screen time than Cap and Iron Man, but I never really felt like he was being shortchanged. He was on Earth for a very specific purpose, and his part in the movie flowed very organically.

The only part where I got a little tripped up was when he was in the field and Mjolnir wouldn't come to his hand. Was that supposed to be implying that the hammer needed to be recharged (hence the lightning scene)?
Glad to see new faces jumping into the Thor bandwagon.

Well, Mjolnir doesn't need to be recharged. Thor was simply summoning his armor to the final battle.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #30
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thor was a freaking bad*** in this movie. I was never all that interested in Thor's comics as a kid, but TA and his solo movie have really given me a new appreciation for the character. It's true that he had less screen time than Cap and Iron Man, but I never really felt like he was being shortchanged. He was on Earth for a very specific purpose, and his part in the movie flowed very organically.

no the hammer doesnt need recharging...
After witnessing Coulson getting stabbed and later shot out of the hellicarrier by loki...he feels like he is not worthy to weild mjolnir after failing to protect Coulson and not be able to convince Loki to give up his evil plans...
that was truly an epic cathartic moment

darkslayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
itchyscratch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
After witnessing Coulson getting stabbed and later shot out of the hellicarrier by loki...he feels like he is not worthy to weild mjolnir after failing to protect Coulson and not be able to convince Loki to give up his evil plans...
I didn't get that impression at all. Far from it. I saw him just rethinking his approach. He was brought down to find Loki and take him back to Asgard, but after seeing Loki killing Coulson Thor now knows he definitely has to stay and join the Avengers and do whatever is necessary to stop Loki. It's not a worthiness issue at all. The stakes have risen and in that moment in the field Thor realises that he has to hang around and join the fight against his brother.

itchyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #32
Bren
Forevernoob

I never thought it was a worthiness issue either. Thought it was a "do/am I really want/going to take up my hammer against my brother?" moment.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #33
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

To me, it felt like Thor finally understood that Loki was beyond saving.

Mr. Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #34
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

I was wondering, how do you think that blade Loki stabbed Thor was able to pierce his skin? Was it because it was an Asgardian weapon? Or was it more Loki's strength forcing it?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
I was wondering, how do you think that blade Loki stabbed Thor was able to pierce his skin? Was it because it was an Asgardian weapon? Or was it more Loki's strength forcing it?
It was a combination of both factors, imo.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
no the hammer doesnt need recharging...
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #37
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
I didn't get that impression at all. Far from it. I saw him just rethinking his approach. He was brought down to find Loki and take him back to Asgard, but after seeing Loki killing Coulson Thor now knows he definitely has to stay and join the Avengers and do whatever is necessary to stop Loki. It's not a worthiness issue at all. The stakes have risen and in that moment in the field Thor realises that he has to hang around and join the fight against his brother.
IMO i think he was like - i have all this godly powers and cannot even protect a friend

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #38
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Dont take my previous comment of not being worthy seriously

Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #39
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

One question I have about the Thor/Loki/Coulson confrontation, is Loki says to Thor "the humans believe us to be immortal. Let's test that."

Does that mean Thor could have been killed falling like that? When Loki was in the cage did he know that he was vulnerable?

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #40
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
One question I have about the Thor/Loki/Coulson confrontation, is Loki says to Thor "the humans believe us to be immortal. Let's test that."

Does that mean Thor could have been killed falling like that? When Loki was in the cage did he know that he was vulnerable?
It means they didn't know whether or not Thor would survive, since he's never fallen that far before.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Immortal View Post
To me, it felt like Thor finally understood that Loki was beyond saving.
I didn't quite take it as him thinking Loki was beyond saving (after all, he tried reasoning with him yet AGAIN at Stark Tower)... I do think he was realizing he was going to have to step it up a notch, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

In my opinion, I think he knew Thor would survive (even if he hadn't broken out) and he was just wanting to get Thor out of the way while he finished his escape. His quip was just his dig to let Thor know that he was going to drop him.

If that makes sense... but that could just be me

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #42
hafizbat
Side-Kick

So...are they immortal or not? Both of them did bleed, and as they say, if it bleeds it can be killed. And I think Loki did mean to kill him, as that look they gave each other was pretty telling. Even Thor looked like he thought he was gonna die.

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #43
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

People often confuse immortal with invincible.

Immortal = you live forever, but can be killed.

Invincible = You cannot be killed.

Loki and Thor are both immortal, but not invincible.

Drummerdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #44
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
So...are they immortal or not? Both of them did bleed, and as they say, if it bleeds it can be killed. And I think Loki did mean to kill him, as that look they gave each other was pretty telling. Even Thor looked like he thought he was gonna die.

id say they are immortal. loki got is a$$ kicked by the hulk and survived where as a normal human would of been dead.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #45
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post

QFT

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #46
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:

Exactly. The immortal status refers to their lifespan, nothing else.
They can be killed.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #47
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

Which, in the proper context, Loki's line SHOULD have been "The humans believe us to be invincible...why don't we test that."

People are more familiar with the term "immortal" though, in terms of god descriptions.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #48
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

watching Thor right now before going to see Avengers for the second time finally. myabe I'll see a few things I missed the first time, lol.

‎ Part of the beauty of Spider-Man is he's covered head to toe, you can't see his skin colour or sexual orientation, and what's important is that he's a hero. He stands for the underdog and those that need protecting." - Andrew Garfield
Doctor: Ooh baby I'm beating out a samba!
Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #49
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Burst View Post
Exactly. The immortal status refers to their lifespan, nothing else.
They can be killed.
Quote:
Which, in the proper context, Loki's line SHOULD have been "The humans believe us to be invincible...why don't we test that."

People are more familiar with the term "immortal" though, in terms of god descriptions.
Yep, Thor can definately be killed but most of the time although most of his deaths come via plot device.

I say that because he's survived ALOT worse stuff than the things that kill him, which is why it's a "plot device".

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #50
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

coughFEARITSELFcough....